Topic: Tactics list for new DV2 players....  (Read 26128 times)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Re: Tactics list for new DV2 players....
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2007, 02:02:01 pm »
Ok, here's one called "The Siege:"

If you're a plasma user against a starcastling enemy . . .

Um, do you really need a specail tactic against somebody foolish enough to do this?  :)

I used to have a film of 3rd-Phoenix castling in a bcf versus a KVL and destroying the KVL, a feat he did repeatedly in ladder play. It was amazing to watch.

I'd take that fight on the KVL side. "Oh please Mr. BCF, just sit there and wait for me!"  ;) ;D

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2007, 03:55:24 pm »
He castled in a BCF versus a KVL and won repeatedly?   Was this against n00bs or "real" players?  I've seen crazier stuff happen so I don't doubt it. 

When I get home tonight, I'll post links to a bunch of GW4 films with a Fed CB busting Castling Romulans.   These films should all work with the basic OP+ 4 install.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2007, 03:56:35 pm »

Now castling against an ESG... That's an art!

We talking a 2-ESG or a 4-ESG Lyran? 

Offline FPF-Paladin

• 'Thou shalt not CAD.' - DH
  • Lt.
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2007, 04:03:56 pm »
If it's only 2 ESG I actually think it could be pulled off, wouldn't be easy though.. very dependent on timing I would think.
~Life cannot find reasons to sustain it, cannot be a source of decent mutual regard, unless each of us resolves to breathe such qualities into it. ~

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2007, 06:59:37 pm »
Miraks can do it vs Lyran 2 ESG ships.  vs a 4 ship, it would be very tough.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2007, 07:32:34 pm »
I know it can be pulled of against a 2-ESG ship (flying Fed, Hydran, or Lyran at least).  Castling just isn't my "go to" plan against a 4-ESG ship in 1v1.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2007, 07:59:54 pm »
You can easily castle vs a 4 esg ship with hellbores. I castled on Firesouls BCHF in my Z-BCH. ESG's arnt that nasty when you cant HET.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2007, 08:40:34 pm »
You can easily castle vs a 4 esg ship with hellbores. I castled on Firesouls BCHF in my Z-BCH. ESG's arnt that nasty when you cant HET.

Bingo!! Timing is essential though. The Lyran can just waltz up to you and fire the ESG's at PB range. Hellbores won't help in that instance. It is much easier for a droner to do it because of all the expendables.

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2007, 11:56:55 pm »
:thumbsup:  Now that's a great list!!

I especially like the "thatch weave".  I don't know what it refers to, but I just love the name

I might just have to get some flying time in here soon.  Shake off all the rusty scales.

AGAVE

Eh...ask...and ye shall receive...the thatch weave

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163359940.msg1122846206.html#msg1122846206

IIRC...I compiled this list from forum content...so each one should be on a thread somewhere...

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2007, 08:17:20 am »

Bingo!! Timing is essential though. The Lyran can just waltz up to you and fire the ESG's at PB range. Hellbores won't help in that instance. It is much easier for a droner to do it because of all the expendables.

Yeah but I have yet to nail Chuut with a range 0 ESG. Bastard always tracs me no matter how high my anti charge. So I employ the same tactic.... although tossing a few Tbombs off an oblique facing shield will also help drop ESG's on their way in. But if the Lyran does it right your shields drop with the esg hit and then you get tagged with 2 SS on a downed shield. It isnt pretty... Which brings me to another tactic. Not sure what you call it, but maybe ring around the rosey? You HET right as you're about to get nailed and start goung around in a circle spreading damage over two or three shields. Works well agaisnt ESG+direct fire weapon+SS over runs. Having all three hit simultaneously is tough so that's why this tacic works.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2007, 08:23:58 am »
Here's another one: Dropping/Lifting your Skirt.

When you drop a shield intentionally to get the enemy to fire at you when he isn't planning on it. This is such an awesome tactic because people will nearly instinctively fire at a downed shield even out of effective range amd thru a 2 shift if they see you drop your shield and their DF weapons are rdy. hehe

Offline GDA-Agave

• That's MR. Planet Battering Ram to you buddy!!
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt.
  • Fear my tequila breath!!!
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2007, 01:31:22 pm »

Eh...ask...and ye shall receive...the thatch weave

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163359940.msg1122846206.html#msg1122846206

IIRC...I compiled this list from forum content...so each one should be on a thread somewhere...

Hey, thanks Crim.  I'll check this out when I get home tonight.

AGAVE
One of the few, the proud, THE GORN!!
Gorn Dragon Alliance - Protecting Ghdar and the Bruce Way!

Gorn Dragon Templar
"Protecting the roads to Brucedom for all travelers of faith"

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2007, 03:24:26 pm »
Thank you. The thatch weave sounds interesting.

About my "tactic" of plasma against a castler- I lost that battle in the end. He caught up speed after the castle, and pushed me off the map. Oh well  ;). The tactic isn't very useful, but it was fun.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2007, 07:58:53 pm »
The Funnel.
[/color]

The principal is to force your opponent to move in a constrained path.  if you thread the needle between two asteroids or mines then he has to either follow or swing wide.  If he follows then you know precisely where he will be and can use that to your advantage.

An example:  I was flying a R-WB+ (I forget why and who against) my opponent was in a F-NCL.  I ran and circled an asteroid with him following closely.  I transported a T-Bomb around the curve of the asteroid giving him the choice of hitting it or "thread the needle" between the T-Bomb and the asteroid.  When he went through the funnel I created he hit my NSM (dropped within .1 of the asteroid) and found that I had done a HET and was coming down his throat with a Plasma R, single fired Ph-1s and an attack probe.  He didn't survive and I was unscratched.  :)
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2007, 08:10:31 pm »
The best general tactic is to be unpredictable. Don't fall into a pattern that your opponent can devise a counter to. If they're never sure of your attack/defense plan then you control the field. Be obtuse and non-racially oriented and use a different tactic on every pass if possible. Then when they are sure you won't do the same thing twice, do the same thing twice.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2007, 08:30:27 pm »
The best general tactic is to be unpredictable. Don't fall into a pattern that your opponent can devise a counter to.

But its okay to let people think that you are using such a pattern, only to break it at the key moment.  :)

I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2007, 03:28:31 pm »
The best general tactic is to be unpredictable. Don't fall into a pattern that your opponent can devise a counter to.

But its okay to let people think that you are using such a pattern, only to break it at the key moment.  :)

Oh, yes absolutely. Feints are a large part of any strategy and should be used as much as possible.
Another thing to do is change tactics right in the middle of a run, kind of like a football play where you line up in a way that looks like one type of play and it ends up being another type. It can really foul up your wingmen though so voice comms in that situation are really necessary.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2007, 07:48:12 pm »
The Lame Duck maneuver
[/color]

When playing as Mirak against someone who evades missiles well I've stopped firing them when low on supply and acted more aggressive with the direct fire weapons.  My opponent then assumes that I am out of supply and comes in for the kill only to find that one last volley fired at point blank range makes him the prey rather than the predator. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2007, 08:11:46 pm »
Afterburners
[/color]

Sometimes you need a little extra speed and in some circumstances you can get it.  On one occasion against a friend playing Mirak he took a hit from me knowing that the missile swarm would hit me harder than I had hit him and that I would be unable to T-Bomb them all as they were spread out and a weasel would just leave me a sitting duck.  I needed speed to evade those fast missiles.  So I tractored what I could and rotated them behind me.  It still wasn't enough so I dove straight at the black hole and out ran them all.  Of course I used the black hole to "sweep" both the missiles I had tractored and the swarm that was pursuing me.  An asteroid or planet would have done as well for the sweeping but wouldn't have given the speed boost.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2007, 05:32:20 pm »

You've been reading my play book.   I'd say 50% of my 1v1 kill occur when I lull people into a pattern and then change it on them