Topic: Tactics list for new DV2 players....  (Read 26074 times)

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
Re: Tactics list for new DV2 players....
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 11:38:47 pm »
Now if we had films to go with each one!!!

ohhhhhhh....good idea...

Offline KAT MRess

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 02:57:44 am »
Hmmmm... Let me dig into Ye Old Kat Site (Yes I still have it) and see what we have...
AKA: Goose

KAT Patriarch (retired)
Chugra Kabal (retired)
KLAW member (retired)

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 03:32:40 pm »
We really should have a thread of anti-fed tactics. While phasers and disruptors are hard to dodge, photons arent. A little wiggle (assuming your the target ship) just as they're leaving the tubes usually (at least in my case) makes them miss. Most peeps fear photon torps, I laugh at them.

Did anyone mention the 720 degree HET ?? I love pulling that one against fighters. I usually leave them behind with nary a scratch then drop a couple of t-bombs on em as I waving bye-bye.

;)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 03:43:03 pm by KBF K MalaK »
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline KAT MRess

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 05:40:13 pm »
Whoo hoo it's still there! AND it still works...  didn't delete any files.

Now let's see if i can get it posted online for you guys...
AKA: Goose

KAT Patriarch (retired)
Chugra Kabal (retired)
KLAW member (retired)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 04:15:47 am »
Here's the scoop for film watching iirc., you need to add in the ship and ftrlist of the server the film was taken on and then you need to 1st play a single player game to let the engine load the models. Once this is done, then you should be able to watch the film.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2007, 12:09:46 pm »
Ok, here's one called "The Siege:"

If you're a plasma user against a starcastling enemy, arm half of your heavy torpedoes as enveloping, and keep the other half normal.

If the Castle is using specific shield reinforcement, the enveloping torps will kill all the other shields. And if they know you're enveloping and switch to general reinforcement, fire a normal torpedo, and it will burn the facing shield. All the while, circling at high speeds at range 10-15. It'll drive them crazy and leave them naked w/o shields.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 12:17:29 pm »

If you're a plasma user against a starcastling enemy . . .

Um, do you really need a specail tactic against somebody foolish enough to do this?  :)
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 12:31:11 pm »
Educational Films from GW3

This was originally posted in the Federation forums back in 2004, all the films should work with the default OP+ shiplist.   Please forgive the mild smack-talk as this was from a private forum and I'm too lazy to edit it :)

http://69.125.26.106:9000/images/Firehawk_D5C.rec

Nothing bragging to show here, an F-CC+ should always beat a K-D5C. i included this film only because i pulled off this REALY cool hydran manuever that 762 taught me involving a HET. Worth watching just to see that.

http://69.125.26.106:9000/images/Pardek_FDW.rec

I'm flying Kzin in this one, I'm really amazed to have pulled this off. MIRVs are so wrong on so many levels . . .

http://69.125.26.106:9000/images/KBF-Ben_D5D.rec

F-CF should ALWAYS beat a D5D. I ran off a bunch if them in the CF, Ben is the only one who stuck around long enough to get the kill. Fight is a little dull.

http://69.125.26.106:9000/images/KBFTrajan_D5D.rec

F-CC+ versus a K-D5D. Textbook castling against a droner, I am sure he really hated me after this fight. The move I pulled off with the T-bomb WW combo was exactly how I wanted it to go, I knew he would overshot and I could rape his downed rear.

http://69.125.26.106:9000/images/Kurok_D5D.rec

What do you do when the D5D perpetually flies with 6 ECM and erratic manuvers? Tractor him!! Fire photons into the 2 shift at range 2.9, you still have a 50% chance of hitting, save you phasers for PD, he can only send 6 drones a round at you as he cannot launch a Scatter pack. set your EW to ECM while the photons are loading to minimize his phasers.

One thing i love about people who rip on castling. It is INFINITELY easier to beat a D5D with a CF and to castle in an CC+. Phaser-boating in a Speed 31 ship takes no skill.

http://69.125.26.106:9000/images/Mack_C8VK.rec

2v2, Kzin CVA and my CB versus a C8VK and an AD5. Sometimes you have to use you ship like an 80-point seeking weapon.

I honestly think I got away with this because they don't take the CB seriously. That and t00l was a bit of a bonehead and took a few drone hits so they though he was more hurt than he was.

http://69.125.26.106:9000/images/Walleye_C7.rec

I purposely drifted away from my wing so i could gather speed and sneak in with a tractor. it worked like a charm and he went BOOM

http://69.125.26.106:9000/images/2_D7Cs.zip

Me versus 2 D7Cs in a Planet defense. That mission allows you to control the bases. Phaser IVs are cool. Laughing

All in all, GW3 was not that hot of a PvP server. Most of the fights were lop-sided run offs one way or another. Lots of fun though. best fight I had was against Madelf's C10K but I lost that film, likely would have been messed up anyway as the host dropped.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2007, 05:14:49 pm »
I don't think any of those files are on your server, DH.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline FPF-Paladin

• 'Thou shalt not CAD.' - DH
  • Lt.
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2007, 09:02:38 pm »
Seems fine to me (now at least?)
~Life cannot find reasons to sustain it, cannot be a source of decent mutual regard, unless each of us resolves to breathe such qualities into it. ~

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2007, 12:15:05 am »
I've got one called :P

yes that's what I called it

Anyway...

Ingredients:
  5 or more transporters
  equal or greater number of mines
  lots of seeking weapons to throw at enemy

how to execute the :P

Lob everything you have, (pseudo all if you're a plasma chucker).  If your opponent is smart he'll weasel.  Use this opportunity to clear your inventory of mines either directly on top of his ship or slightly in front of it.  Hopefully for you he'll forget to turn his throttle down under 4 so as to not give himself a delay reaction exploding enema.  This works very well with troop transport ships with lots of transporters and mines, and dreadnoughts against an opponent with weasels.  it's very gratifying to watch your opponent blow himself up on a mine hehehe

I can never get this one right, I end up t bombing empty space to the leading side of the enemy then tractor the bastich into the mines (or in Dizzy's case- an asteroid)

<snicker>

This one takes a bit of lead tracking skill and works best in its stock form against the AI.  To make it work against a human opponent, you need to be going really very quickly indeed to get your downed shield away from their weapon arcs.  I've done it on oblique passes, but the most I can get out is 4 before the other guy's phasers cycle.  You need to be willing to take a bloody nose, but mind what you can lose.  Will 40 points be worth your port/starboard phasers and your PPD?  Tricky.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 10:39:02 am »
You need to be quick about it as with a weaseled ship they can't fire for a few seconds (or if they unloaded on you they won't have recharged weaps for some time). I didn't say it say it was foolproof (maybe I'm just lucky) and you're right- it's works better against AI but if you can catch an unarmed opponent (and you may be unarmed as well) this could work for you.
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline GDA-Agave

• That's MR. Planet Battering Ram to you buddy!!
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt.
  • Fear my tequila breath!!!
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 01:45:37 pm »
 :thumbsup:  Now that's a great list!!

I especially like the "thatch weave".  I don't know what it refers to, but I just love the name

I might just have to get some flying time in here soon.  Shake off all the rusty scales.

AGAVE
One of the few, the proud, THE GORN!!
Gorn Dragon Alliance - Protecting Ghdar and the Bruce Way!

Gorn Dragon Templar
"Protecting the roads to Brucedom for all travelers of faith"

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2007, 02:02:52 pm »
::)

Good tactics= Whatever wins me current game.
Bad tactics = Whatever I tried that didn't work out so hot last game.

Honestly there is no "hey this works" for all (or even most) situations.
Hence such lists are silly.

Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2007, 02:26:34 pm »

Hence you should learn everything so you are ready when the situation presents itelf.

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2007, 02:30:33 pm »

Hence you should learn everything so you are ready when the situation presents itelf.

Hence you should work to develop your own tactics so that no one who has read a silly list will be able to anticipate them.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2007, 04:28:27 pm »

Hence you should work to develop your own tactics so that no one who has read a silly list will be able to anticipate them.

Hence you would be as good as Hexx.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2007, 08:47:12 pm »
I can never get this one right, I end up t bombing empty space to the leading side of the enemy then tractor the bastich into the mines (or in Dizzy's case- an asteroid)

<snicker>

The key to the T-Bomb shower is to switch from the default (F3) "towards the enemy" view to the (F1) "Top down" view.  It lets you see the placement much more clearly.  It is also the ideal view for "threading the needle" either between mines or between asteroids. 

The T-Bomb Shower is best used when your shield is already down and so is an enemy shield that you can hit.  This can net you a very effective Mizia attack if  you have the right ship.  Commando ships and Klingon ships are the best for this.  The shower can be more effective than a short range Plasma R if executed correctly.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2007, 08:56:39 pm »

Um, do you really need a specail tactic against somebody foolish enough to do this?  :)

Thank you!! ;)

The only ships able to effectively castle against Plasma are Battleships and even then you have to stay on top of things.

Now castling against an ESG... That's an art!

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2007, 11:26:43 pm »

I used to have a film of 3rd-Phoenix castling in a bcf versus a KVL and destroying the KVL, a feat he did repeatedly in ladder play. It was amazing to watch.

Thank you!! ;)

The only ships able to effectively castle against Plasma are Battleships and even then you have to stay on top of things.

Now castling against an ESG... That's an art!
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel