Topic: Look what I just bought!  (Read 14040 times)

James_Smith

Look what I just bought!
« on: May 20, 2004, 02:06:13 pm »
 Sweet!!!

Oh yes. Completely unsuitable for someone on a student budget with Britain's petrol prices, but I just don't care....  

Sirgod

Re: Look what I just bought!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 02:09:10 pm »
£460.00  Wow. Great deal for It to begin with, and yes th Prces for Petrol are high, But that's a steal. You can hardly find those New in the US anymore.

I'm Happy for you James.

Stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 02:09:55 pm »
It's always good to have wheels.

James_Smith

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 03:31:07 pm »
Cheers Stephen, Storm. That auction got very panicky towards the end - I think I had around 25secs to go when I put the final bid in. Thank god my computer stayed running long enough to complete it, damn thing crashed about 10 mins after!

Hopefully, me and Dad can have some fun with this lump. Dad needs something to move equipment out to places (he works with environmental monitoring equipment and software, so needs to transport dust gauges and sampling equipment around quite a bit), and I need something huge to have fun with on the roads!

Sten

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 03:47:14 pm »
Good god man you will be driving a battlestar with wheels!

J. Carney

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 03:53:09 pm »
LOL, where I'm from, fathers CRINGE when a Land Ship like that pulls up in the driveway... especially one with a 'properly equipped cargo area.'

James_Smith

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 03:59:09 pm »
Quote:

LOL, where I'm from, fathers CRINGE when a Land Ship like that pulls up in the driveway... especially one with a 'properly equipped cargo area.'  

Heheheheheheheheheheh

Capt. Mike

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 04:22:00 pm »
Got yourself a "Yank Tank".  The "B" roads are gonna be fun, let alone the "A" routes.

When I was stationed at RAF Croughton, one of the guys had brought a '80 Dodge Ram Charger over (I just bought a Brit car with the right hand drive).  Just becareful passing, you won't be able to se around the car in front of you.

Mike

James_Smith

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 04:26:44 pm »
Yep. Going to have to learn to drive all over again (first time LHD, first time autobox, first time trying to drive something 219 inches  long!)

Kmelew

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 04:49:46 pm »
Woohoo!!  A battlewagon!!

BTW, where does one buy parts for it in the UK?  

James_Smith

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 04:58:15 pm »
Quote:

Woohoo!!  A battlewagon!!

BTW, where does one buy parts for it in the UK?  

US Automotive. And various other places. Mechanically it's all GM parts-bin stuff, so it's pretty easy to get parts for the engine and trans. The body may get more difficult though, and considering its in Britain the good ol' tinworm should be settling in now.

Dogmatix!

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 05:29:30 pm »
Quote:

Got yourself a "Yank Tank".  The "B" roads are gonna be fun, let alone the "A" routes.

When I was stationed at RAF Croughton, one of the guys had brought a '80 Dodge Ram Charger over (I just bought a Brit car with the right hand drive).  Just becareful passing, you won't be able to se around the car in front of you.

Mike

lol...I was thinking the same thing...heheh.

Capt. Mike

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 06:15:00 pm »
You might try around RAF Lakenheath or up to Menwith Hill..lots of American GI's...Probably some forums over there with some places, too.

Mike

IndyShark

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 08:40:27 pm »
If you fill the gas tank up, the car will double in value!    

James_Smith

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 08:45:17 pm »
Quote:

If you fill the gas tank up, the car will double in value!    

You joke, but I reckon 22 US gals won't be far off that kind of money if our government keep raising duty on petrol!

IndyShark

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2004, 07:15:42 pm »
I am not kidding! Petrol prices in the UK are outrageous! (that's gasoline for us Yanks)  

TheShadow

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2004, 08:22:43 pm »
 That wagon is probably older than you are. Remember most 83's were made in 82. Throw some padding in the back and...    

James_Smith

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2004, 09:01:19 am »
Quote:

That wagon is probably older than you are. Remember most 83's were made in 82. Throw some padding in the back and...    

LOL!

Went to Halfords today to try and find a belt that I need to get the car moving. Any of my fellow Brits here on the forum realise that Halfords don't know what size belts they stock? And that the sizes aren't quoted on the packaging?

It took me an HOUR to find two that may or may not work. I know US and Euro teeth on v-belts are different, so there's a good chance the belt will come off at moderate revs. May end up going the old fashioned route here - a pair of tights/stockings ought to hold for 120 miles....either way, I know that I'm now going to have to go to US Autos in Bedford to get parts for it - nowhere else in Blighty will stock parts that will work.

On the plus side, I now know for definite  that the engine is a 307ci/5 litre one (can't be anything else according to US Auto). I have a plan for the future involving a 455ci motor, a pair of 4-bbl Holleys and 600 horsepower - but that may have to wait a while    When all's said and done, I want this car to be faster than my mate's '73 Aussie Charger. Now, if I can just find an insurer who will even give me a quote...

James_Smith

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2004, 09:03:01 am »
Quote:

I am not kidding! Petrol prices in the UK are outrageous! (that's gasoline for us Yanks)  

I'm glad one of you guys over there recognises just how lucky you lot are paying those prices that you b*tch about constantly

IndyShark

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2004, 10:55:33 am »
Yeah, I thought the price was high until I realized the price was for a LITER of petrol, not a gallon!