Topic: OP Patch Status?  (Read 31726 times)

Corbomite

Re: OP Patch Status?
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2003, 11:50:21 am »
At this point, I'd bet the first Black 9 patch will be out before the last OP patch.

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2003, 12:24:21 pm »
OP patch fixing IS active....trying to squash a pesky last bugger...

Expect to see a patch including all the EAW fixes.....

Then sometime later.....another containing whatever OPDV fixes AF comes up with.

Carrie

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2003, 01:46:42 pm »
Random question. Have the hex interactions between pirates and regular orgs been fixed in the new patch? I'd like to seize and /hold/ sectors, even in single player, without having it go neutral again cause of what cartels are doing. Or is that for the dyna patch?

At least please tell me that the "no starbases in late/advanced" bug has been fixed?

jdmckinney

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2003, 05:41:15 pm »
Hex interactions haven't, and won't, be fixed in the upcoming OP patch, because they are D2 issues. All D2 work has been handed off to ArticFire, who is not ready to release any fixes.

At least that's the last I heard.

Cleaven

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2003, 12:54:51 am »
Please don't forget about the request to have a look at the D2 problem with viewing the Cartel DV's in the first patch (if it is a simple fix of course).  

Toasty0

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2003, 01:01:14 am »
Quote:

Hex interactions haven't, and won't, be fixed in the upcoming OP patch, because they are D2 issues. All D2 work has been handed off to ArticFire, who is not ready to release any fixes.

I heard, sadly, that Articfire was swallowed whole by a polar bear while on a beer run...

Best,
Jerry  

Pestalence

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2003, 01:08:57 am »
Quote:

Please don't forget about the request to have a look at the D2 problem with viewing the Cartel DV's in the first patch (if it is a simple fix of course).  

Cartel DV's are a D2 issue being delt with by ArtifcFire and will not be in the first atch...

Khalee

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2003, 01:09:48 am »
Im late in jumping in on this but I hope the supply bug has been fixed or will be.

Cleaven

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2003, 02:33:54 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Cartel DV's are a D2 issue being delt with by ArtifcFire and will not be in the first atch...

http://208.57.228.4/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=17553&Forum=UBB1&Words=Cartel%20DV&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=16825&Search=true#Post17553

I live in hope.  

Carrie

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2003, 02:34:08 am »
Quote:

Quote:

I heard, sadly, that Articfire was swallowed whole by a polar bear while on a beer run...

Best,
Jerry  

Ouch! That's not good. Oh well. I suppose I can live with fighting for my hexes. Damned pirates. There is a way in some ini or .gf file to disable any org you don't want to exist, right? I can shut them off there, if someone reminds me what it is.

I'm more interested to hear that I can buy SBs in late/advanced, so I can still keep things when I do shut the pirates off.

GT-Keravnos

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2003, 07:22:39 am »
Bump,

Because---we care enough for the game and have
Uber-hopes --- that in the end we will emerge victorious, therefore we
Must--- against all hopes, biases and fears, trust the Testers and Taldren to do a fine job. So, Peace Out and
Play out!

jdmckinney

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2003, 07:54:57 am »
Carrie, you could remove pirate cartels through various modifications, but you can't take out the pirate map layer. In fact, it seems to do more harm when the pirate map is neutral than when it is populated.

Whoever brought up the supply issue -- what exactly are you referring to? I'm just curious. Personally, I'd like to see spare parts available in D2 go by the ship specs and not be limited to just 8 -- EAW was fixed in this way, so why isn't OP?

Mog

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2003, 08:16:31 am »
Doug, the spare parts above 8 is simply crap. It penalises low crunch races - ie saber dancers; when you are fighting say a CVA with a BCH, and that CVA has 40 spare parts, it means the CVA can just repair its engines and leave, even though you may have pounded it to high heaven  (been there, done that, got the t-shirt). I'd rather OP stick to 8 then go to the excessive and ridiculous amounts that appeared in EAW.

FireSoul

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2003, 08:21:06 am »
Quote:

Carrie, you could remove pirate cartels through various modifications, but you can't take out the pirate map layer. In fact, it seems to do more harm when the pirate map is neutral than when it is populated.

.. what does it do with neutral only hexes? (no economy)
-- Luc

Carrie

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2003, 09:09:20 am »
Quote:

Hrm... Would it help if I stuck all the cartels allied to each other and to all the main races (or just the one being played)? I'm wondering now if that might not be able to fool the system into letting me keep hexes I take....

jdmckinney

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2003, 09:15:27 am »
Moggy, thanks for the insight. I have to admit I haven't played EAW D2 much since the parts were "fixed." On the other hand, shouldn't a larger ship be able to repair more systems, having more capacity for repair crews and parts? Have any D2 campaigns used high-priced repair parts, so it would be costly to fly around with 20 spare parts, making pilots choose between saving prestige for new ships or spending it to keep their current one in top shape during a battle? I'd at least like the option for server admins to be able to set the parts to full or the 8-part limit. After all, 8 is pretty arbitrary, no? I mean, an FF that can only get up to 4 parts is in the same situation you describe vs. a CL that can carry 8.

FS, making the pirate layer neutral only causes empires to hurt their own defense values when running successful missions in their own hexes. Since political settings don't allow for neutral to be treated differently on the cartel map vs. the empire map, the settings tweaks available are limited. Even so, if you set neutral as allied to all empires, having the neutral cartel layer creates problems when enemies engage each other on the empire map -- if you win, you are hurting the enemy hex DV, but also "winning" for the neutral cartel underneath. It gets really confusing, because the DV effects depend upon not only the mission results and politics, but also the DV status of the cartel layer, which is invisible.

jdmckinney

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2003, 09:19:27 am »
Carrie, feel free to try everything you can think of. I can only tell you what testing results I came up with in the past. If a cartel is allied to two opposing empires, in some cases it seemed as though a win for one side hurt their enemy, but also helped their allied cartel, resulting in a net change of zero. Again, combinations of settings, the missions used, and the cartel layer DV status could change things, but in the end, it is very unreliable.

We do need more people to test their ideas on this. Even if I didn't find success with some of these methods, it doesn't mean you or someone else won't find a new wrinkle that fixes some of the problems.

Good luck.

FireSoul

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2003, 09:27:59 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Hrm... Would it help if I stuck all the cartels allied to each other and to all the main races (or just the one being played)? I'm wondering now if that might not be able to fool the system into letting me keep hexes I take....  

.. maybe only 1 cartel for that layer, all over the map, allied to everyone?
-- Luc

FireSoul

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2003, 09:30:05 am »
Quote:

FS, making the pirate layer neutral only causes empires to hurt their own defense values when running successful missions in their own hexes. Since political settings don't allow for neutral to be treated differently on the cartel map vs. the empire map, the settings tweaks available are limited. Even so, if you set neutral as allied to all empires, having the neutral cartel layer creates problems when enemies engage each other on the empire map -- if you win, you are hurting the enemy hex DV, but also "winning" for the neutral cartel underneath. It gets really confusing, because the DV effects depend upon not only the mission results and politics, but also the DV status of the cartel layer, which is invisible.  

See above suggestion?
-- Luc

EDIT: .. fine.. previous page then!
-- Luc
« Last Edit: February 28, 2003, 09:31:12 am by FireSoul »

Mog

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2003, 10:05:01 am »
Quote:

Moggy, thanks for the insight. I have to admit I haven't played EAW D2 much since the parts were "fixed." On the other hand, shouldn't a larger ship be able to repair more systems, having more capacity for repair crews and parts? Have any D2 campaigns used high-priced repair parts, so it would be costly to fly around with 20 spare parts, making pilots choose between saving prestige for new ships or spending it to keep their current one in top shape during a battle? I'd at least like the option for server admins to be able to set the parts to full or the 8-part limit. After all, 8 is pretty arbitrary, no? I mean, an FF that can only get up to 4 parts is in the same situation you describe vs. a CL that can carry 8.

Doug, I have no qualms about having a reasonable stepped progression of spares based on ship size being implemented. But what we have now in EAW is nothing like that. If it were based on ship's damage control rating, then that would be fine, but it's not. A DN/CVA can carry 40 magic screws. Enough to almost completely repair its warp engines. Doesn't that sound a little over the top?

I'll try and go into more detail of the battle that made me realise what was finally happening. On AOTK I, in a KCR, engaged a player in a Mirak CVA. By saberdancing with phasers, and the occasional plasma hit, I had reduced all his shields down to bare red, and was mounting the internals up on him. Phaser volley after phaser volley ripped into him, and yet he still managed to disengage from the battle. The after battle report showed him to have taken in excess of 200 internals, and yet he could still make top speed. What kept him at that speed were the magic screws.

Raising the price of magic screws just leads to players taking them off enemy ai with transporters.

Yes, 8 is pretty arbitrary. I would have no objections to 2 x Damage Control rating, but frkkn 40 is obscene, ridiculous and penalises saber dancing.

The final comment on a FF with 4 v a CL with 8, I don't really get. It certainly is not the same situation from where I'm sat lol. In fact, I'd be much happier in that instance as the FF, as there is a huge difference between 8 magic screws and 40 lol.