Topic: OP Patch Status?  (Read 31266 times)

DarkMaster

OP Patch Status?
« on: January 20, 2003, 01:46:38 pm »
Any news at all?  I realize I'm being so very impatient, after all it's ONLY been a year+...some word on, like, APPROXIMATELY when we will be seeing something?

Short of this, how about releasing the ported EAW fixes as a separate patch?  Something is better than nothing.

EmeraldEdge

Re: OP Patch Status?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2003, 01:56:59 pm »
Actually not quite a year yet still.  I believed the patch had been released sometime in early February last year but in checking the old forum announcements, it was actually Jan. 28.

That having been said, any news on what's going on with OP is way overdue.  Anyone who says your being impatient is out of line, imho.  OP people have been left in the dust since release, especially those who play D2.  These people deserve some answers, (real ones, not the traditional mouth service to appease for a bit but no help ever actually materializes) as well as some action.  Taldren should be thanking their lucky stars they have as many supporters as they still have, which is nowhere near the number they used to have back at SFC2 release.  You'd think they'd be tryin' to do anything they can to save them.  Silence usually means nothing's gonna happen anytime soon, so, Oh well.  

FireSoul

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2003, 03:59:43 pm »
Quote:

Silence usually means nothing's gonna happen anytime soon, so, Oh well.  

-- Luc

Julin Eurthyr

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2003, 04:57:32 pm »
The last I heard was that Articfire (of ye EAW D2 server fame) has been given the source code for OP and is (slowly) in the act of patching it.

He posted in the D2 forum looking for a bug list.  Here's his original (mid-november) post on the subject.  Haven't heard a word since...

Qob'nuH

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2003, 07:03:02 pm »
Bump...back to the top where it belongs. Silence is NOT going to make this kind of thread go away. Darkmaster's question
deserves an answer. It's already known that the EAW fixes have been ported over. I have not seen one valid reason for not releasing a patch version for OP with these fixes. It seems in Articfire's last post that the patch will be delayed for months, bogged down with all the D2 fixes. Those who do not need D2 fixes should have access to a patch
 with just the EAW fixes.  

LongTooth

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2003, 07:24:24 pm »
To be honest it would be pointless to make 2 types of pacthes for OP
It would take twice as long as to make one pacth

Toasty0

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2003, 07:54:52 pm »
soon...no joke guys. From what I gather it could be within a month so hang in there.

Best,
Jerry  

Cleaven

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2003, 09:31:10 pm »
Including D2 patches?

I want to give OP to a couple of people but not until the D2 is ready otherwise they will lose interest.

Quote:

soon...no joke guys. From what I gather it could be within a month so hang in there.

Best,
Jerry  

Qob'nuH

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2003, 12:13:18 pm »
Quote:

To be honest it would be pointless to make 2 types of pacthes for OP
It would take twice as long as to make one pacth  

To me its been "pointless" to wait for D2 fixes that some of have no need of.  Different peolple,different needs,that's the point. Eaw fixes were ported over shortly after that patch was released. It seems that making just one patch is the thing that
takes twice as long. If ToastyO is right, there's no need to debate the issue much longer. Hopefully the patch will satisfy everyone's needs.    

TheSatyr

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2003, 09:47:03 pm »
I've asked Dave about what we can and cannot tell you about the OP patch,so maybe you'll get a better answer to some of the questions next week.  

Rod O'neal

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2003, 09:22:37 am »
Bump! I'd sure like to know too. If it's still gonna be a while then I think releasing the EAW port is a good idea imo.

TheSatyr

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2003, 12:08:10 pm »
"soon" is the word of the day.  Could be in a week...could be in a month...but it's coming.  

3dot14

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2003, 01:27:48 pm »
Quote:

So is the end of the world, I saw some guy with a sign the other day that said so.  

LMAO!!:D

That's a good one.

TalonClaw

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2003, 01:54:08 pm »
We are closer than we were last Christmas  

But seriously, it's closer than the end of the world

FireSoul

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2003, 02:48:24 pm »
Really.
.. No tester is allowed to say when things are going to happen, often because they themselves may not know.

However, as testers, they might have more information (which they can't reallly share)..
.. so take it like this:

The testers can't tell the general public. Taldren probably can't either.

-- Luc
FireSoul

TheSatyr

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2003, 04:12:59 pm »
I don't care for sacastic attitudes when I attempt to give what little info I can out...so no more info of any kind from me on any patches in the GF from here on out.  

3dot14

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2003, 09:20:49 pm »
tsk tsk. Where is your sense of humor?

Besides, your "official word" from Dave is even more vague than Toasty0's original estimation. It's not like you just declassified the missile technologies (I was gonna say rocket science, but that's so last century)

Toasty0

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2003, 05:58:16 am »
Quote:

tsk tsk. Where is your sense of humor?

Besides, your "official word" from Dave is even more vague than Toasty0's original estimation. It's not like you just declassified the missile technologies (I was gonna say rocket science, but that's so last century)  

Yeah, like almost retro rocket even  

Toasty0

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2003, 06:01:25 am »
Quote:

So is the end of the world, I saw some guy with a sign the other day that said so.  

Dah-mut, who let the game programmers out for a walk again? Erik, you promised no more unsupervised walks for the staff.

Best,
Jerry  
« Last Edit: January 29, 2003, 06:03:54 am by Toasty0 »

Gamester

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2003, 09:49:02 am »
I really don't understand what the big secret is. We have been allowed to mention general information about all the other patches we have worked on before. I distinctly remember when we were working on previous patches  being given free reign to let people know what (in general) the patch addressed. I see no problems with stating a couple of things, and judging by past experience (and lack of response from Taldren employees when queried about it), I do not see Dave or Taldren in general having a problem with it either. So here is the *GENERAL* information about the patch we are testing for OP:

1) We are testing a release candidate patch - that means barring any show stoppers, it will show up in the very near future.

2) The patch pretty much catches up OP to EAW, plus fixes many OP specific issues (such as the mauler being destroyable)

3) The # of allowable ships per class has been increased to allow more ship mods (FireSoul is ecstatic)

and last but not least. . .

4) This patch will NOT include the D2 fixes at this time - that is being worked on seperately. The D2 is a complicated beast, and it is better not to have everyone suffer because of the long time it will take to get it fixed. Better to have the LAN and Gamespy and Single Player fixes released as they are basically done (and it is 3/4ths of the game at any rate).

I cannot tell you what exactly is fixed in the patch - nor can I even begin to speculate on when the D2 stuff is going to be patched. I DO know that the D2 stuff is GOING TO BE fixed, but it will be a while. IMHO, this is the best approach to the patch, because it fixes all the parts of the game except the D2 (which as I said is being worked on - it's a very complicated issue, much more so than was the case with EAW's) thus allowing the most people to enjoy the game now as opposed to everyone being completely bent having to wait for the D2 fixes to be implemented as well.

This should satisfy everyone's curiosity about the patch, alleviate (many) tempers, and generally let people know that WE ARE WORKING ON IT.

Thank you,

Gamester
Outer Circle Member (back when there WERE Circles, that is) and OP lover.

PS - If anyone disagrees with my assessment of the difficulty in patching OP's D2, please note that it is MY ASSESSMENT, not Taldren's nor any other tester's. So if you feel the need to flame me about my opinion on the subject, at least direct it to the appropriate party, that being me.