Topic: Are sheilds worthless in 531?  (Read 7022 times)

Offline Cozbo

• Lt. Junior Grade
Are sheilds worthless in 531?
« on: July 06, 2004, 07:22:30 pm »
After playing on GSA it seems that most players use little or no sheilds these days.

sheilds in the stock game are heavy and recharge slowly.

They take too much energy to power. They reduce your turn rate more than they are worth. They cost too much. They don't charge back up quickly enough to keep protecting you and with the effects of critical hits at warp(which they don't protect you at all from) are they even worth using?

Ok, with that said I have found a way to make them all worthwhile and yet not impact the overall performance of the game. In the next unity I think all sheilds classes will get used as they should and ships will still hangle like they should.

Anyone else have some thoughts about sheilds?

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Are sheilds worthless in 531?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 10:50:23 pm »
I have always Sacrificed Shields For Armor Personally, But It truely Depends on the Mod, and the Energy cost.

Just my 2 cents.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Fluf

• KOTH Fluf Duke of Pies
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Always at fault
    • Knights of the Hegemony
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 12:18:25 pm »
We have done that in Battlezone and LB5.  By enhancing the sheilds, armor and hull hitpoints, it makes for a longer more tactical game.  Its a little more challenging, but more fun IMHO.
Patriarch Knights of the Hegemony
SFC2.net Admin
SFC3.net Admin
Battlezone Admin
Litterbox Admin

Offline interloper

• DAZED AND CONFUSED, SNAFU
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • mines are loaded and the motor is redlined
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 12:19:25 pm »
I don't know i kinda am fond of those slow moving slow recharging
bumper pads    ;D
Remembering U of I #40, Always in our hearts and minds
"don't think you understand what I told you until I tell you what you understand! Do you understand what I am saying?"
OF ALL THINGS LOST I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.......    ?

"What is the vector victor?"
"Rodger, roger."
"I picked a helluva day to quit drinking"

ITS ALL MIND OVER MATTER, IF YOU DON'T MIND IT DON'T MATTER

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Re: Are Shields worthless in 531?
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 01:27:58 pm »
  I find that after patching up to 531 the shields take longer to regenerate.This is so especially when you want reinforce a shield then other seem weaker.I didn't find this in the out of box version.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 02:15:19 pm »
We have done that in Battlezone and LB5.  By enhancing the sheilds, armor and hull hitpoints, it makes for a longer more tactical game.  Its a little more challenging, but more fun IMHO.

Lol, longer is right.  Tactical?  I am not so sure.  That may be the case in PvP, but with AI it seems to be the same old slugfest, except that I keep getting my head handed to me because my officers suck.  Generally, I have come to expect an alpha strike to severely damage or even collapse a shield in SFC2, but in this mod of SFC3 it barely seems to stratch it.  It isn't the paper shields of GAW as I remember, but perhaps, you've gone a little too far the other way here.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Fluf

• KOTH Fluf Duke of Pies
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Always at fault
    • Knights of the Hegemony
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 08:05:31 pm »
Its possible Lepton.  However, I intended this to be a 3 week campaign and wanted people to have to work for both their ships and to get their officers up.  Its not like the standard D3 campaign that lasts 7 to 10 days.  Its definitely not a mod for the newer player or the one that likes the one shot alpha and 2 min missions.  Its a very tough mod, that is expected to challenge the veteran D3 player to the limits.  And so far, I think it is, because all I have is people yelling at me!  ;D

Its nice to have everything be your fault!  :lol:
Patriarch Knights of the Hegemony
SFC2.net Admin
SFC3.net Admin
Battlezone Admin
Litterbox Admin

Offline Grim

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 08:28:15 pm »

Well i totally suck at sfc3, i cant even kill the ai and if i manage to its a 30 plus minute game  :-\

Going back to topic i was playing the other day on the server and saw a fellow pilot with no shields, i was like wtf no shields, he was going speed 100 or something like that, didnt get a scratch at all.

Rota

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 01:34:02 am »
Harder missions =better  Brutal missions=perfect.

Offline atdi

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 08:48:53 am »
Hi!

I think it's true. Sheilds are almost worthless and that sucks! I've never seen in Star Trek that maneuverability is more important than shields but in SFC3 it is the truth. And that sucks so much. That's not Star Trek and i hate it. As much as i that lame none or low shield ships, specially the romulan and klingon ones. The hide most of the game and if they came out you can't hit them cause their maneuverability. That's lame. Every newb can win that way.
Of course it's effectively but i think it's lame and i will never build such a ship.
I hope the programmer will do something against that in the next patch, if we get another patch.

Offline AdmWaterTiger-11thFleet-

• Unity Admin
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Veni vidi vici
    • Spartan Vanguard
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 10:07:58 am »
After being on GSA for 2 weeks with stock V531, I am very disappointed.

V531 stock just frankly ruins the game.

V531 has become a modders patch.

<S>

WaterTiger
http://www.spartanvanguard.com/
http://www.stcd.sgnonline.com/users/trimodyards/

KoraH: "Remember my advice to you Wade, that you should drop SFC ...  you will find that all you have to put up with to do so is going to sour the sweetness of your hard work."

Offline FVA_C_ Blade_ XC

• Forum Czar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Yep,I did it.
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 10:54:51 am »
After being on GSA for 2 weeks with stock V531, I am very disappointed.

V531 stock just frankly ruins the game.

V531 has become a modders patch.

<S>

WaterTiger

It's no worse then when the game first came out and we had all those AMM Speed buggy's online.
Everything has a counter,one just needs to find it.
FVA_C_Blade_XC
XenoCorp Fleet Operations
www.xenocorp.net
ISC Race Moderator
Visioneer
S.S.Blade

See Wade,See Wade post like an arse,See Wade get banned.
Dont be a Wade!

• Unity Admin
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Veni vidi vici
    • Spartan Vanguard
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 11:31:41 pm »

Blade, when is the last time you played stock V531 on GSA?

The blind can see the common settings are inbalanced. If you would like a lesson in common settings, I'll dish them out for ya', as these sux!

<S>

WaterTiger

KoraH: "Remember my advice to you Wade, that you should drop SFC ...  you will find that all you have to put up with to do so is going to sour the sweetness of your hard work."

Offline FVA_C_ Blade_ XC

• Forum Czar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Yep,I did it.
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004, 10:41:59 am »

Blade, when is the last time you played stock V531 on GSA?

The blind can see the common settings are inbalanced. If you would like a lesson in common settings, I'll dish them out for ya', as these sux!

<S>

WaterTiger

2 days ago,And I do not need any lessons from you,I have seen your skills in action ::)
FVA_C_Blade_XC
XenoCorp Fleet Operations
www.xenocorp.net
ISC Race Moderator
Visioneer
S.S.Blade

See Wade,See Wade post like an arse,See Wade get banned.
Dont be a Wade!

• Unity Admin
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Veni vidi vici
    • Spartan Vanguard
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2004, 11:15:24 am »

Offline AncientAngel

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2004, 09:59:05 am »
Take in mind I am not a new guy attempting to master this game over night when reading this posting. ;)

From what I can recall with the straight CD version of this game. You had more mod ability of each ship type in the game. The shields could endure a hell of a pounding. While spending 30 minutes in an out matched fight of a Norway vs Warbird would offer a high reward.

Granted I have only been playing the new patch for the past two days but I have noticed some things I can live with ..and others that just don't seem to make sense.

The Out Matched One Vs One against a Rom Warbird while in my Norway. After some 30 minutes of fighting and a loss of 50% of my ships structure the big green death machine was space debri. At the end of the fight I was expecting to see a reward of close to 250pts. But instead I see a lovely 75 with I thought a -25 bonus on top of it. So the point of out classed matches are completely not worth the investment of your time. By the time you repair your hull your indebt atleast 2 times more than you received in the match.

As for the shields, I remember being able to atleast upgrade 2 shield facings on about every ship. And it seemed to me that the shield recharge rate was extremely high compaired to its current rating. Now don't get me wrong I don't mind not being able to up-grade those shields as long as the shield recharge rate was fairly robust. Even with max power (red line) on shields it takes over two minutes to bring up shields back up to normal strength.  Even if this time was reduced to closer to a minute I know it would be extremely helpful. The issue I think everyone is running into, is those close range Alpha strikes. Which will usually drop someone shields in a heart beat and cause some internal damage. But the AI and worse yet an human player can repeat this step on fresh shields and reak a ton of havok even though you may be pushing the red-line on shield recharging and doing evasives to dodge the incoming fire.

As for the officers, I have yet to have a problem with any of them getting wounded or killed off. For the most part I have yet to allow another ship to get in a close Alpha strike on my ship on a head on attack. This might be the reason behind those crew injuries for the most part. I know my engineer has been hit once...happend against the Warbird in the Norway.

As for the latest stock patch ... I have yet to see a D3 that uses it stock, that alone speaks volumes of what the players want.