Topic: Paramount hath spoken  (Read 60385 times)

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
Re: Paramount hath spoken
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2004, 12:18:07 am »
Yeah... you know, I think I saw him today in the Vudar thread in the Models Forum...

DAMN, now I'm just another Elvis sighting... reduced to a number...

Man, don't you hate that ;D !
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Harry

• Paramount Pictures
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2004, 12:23:36 am »
wow, the love in this place is unbelieveable...we can't win either way.

However, let me clarify:

-I oversee Trek gaming only...nothing to do with the shows or movies.  It's a big company.
-Concerning the all eras game, that was in response to the quesiton if we would consider one.  I said it's not out of the question.
-We haven't been saying things will get better time and time again...this isn't the same ole company line.  Actually, for the past year, we haven't really said much of anything.  But I mean what I say when I say wait a few months.  Things are changing.  Especially with regards to the community and future or else I wouldn't have agree to this interview with a fan site in the first place.  I don't know where this thing about us (gaming) being consistently vague comes from.
-I also mean what I say about recreating this illustrious franchise.  More details will be provided soon as I have said.  And I can promise you it will surprise you.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Harry

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2004, 12:29:39 am »
 :skeptic:  I'll read the reviews here before I think of buying another Trek game.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Harry

• Paramount Pictures
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2004, 12:33:36 am »
:skeptic:  I'll read the reviews here before I think of buying another Trek game.

That's fair.

Offline AdmWaterTiger-11thFleet-

• Unity Admin
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Veni vidi vici
    • Spartan Vanguard
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2004, 12:35:55 am »
wow, the love in this place is unbelieveable...we can't win either way.

However, let me clarify:

-I oversee Trek gaming only...nothing to do with the shows or movies.  It's a big company.
-Concerning the all eras game, that was in response to the quesiton if we would consider one.  I said it's not out of the question.
-We haven't been saying things will get better time and time again...this isn't the same ole company line.  Actually, for the past year, we haven't really said much of anything.  But I mean what I say when I say wait a few months.  Things are changing.  Especially with regards to the community and future or else I wouldn't have agree to this interview with a fan site in the first place.  I don't know where this thing about us (gaming) being consistently vague comes from.
-I also mean what I say about recreating this illustrious franchise.  More details will be provided soon as I have said.  And I can promise you it will surprise you.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Harry

Like I said, Harry, tough crowd.

Personally, I, for one, look forward to a new era of Trek gaming.

One thing some have asked since ...

14.) Will thought be given to future games being moddable? (If you can induldge one more question ... if not, no pressure)

And again, thank you for the ONLY Western Hemisphere interview and the first-ever for a fan site by Paramount's key people.

<S>

WaterTiger
http://www.spartanvanguard.com/
http://www.stcd.sgnonline.com/users/trimodyards/

KoraH: "Remember my advice to you Wade, that you should drop SFC ...  you will find that all you have to put up with to do so is going to sour the sweetness of your hard work."

Offline Harry

• Paramount Pictures
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2004, 12:45:30 am »
yes.

Offline FVA_C_ Blade_ XC

• Forum Czar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Yep,I did it.
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2004, 12:49:52 am »
Good to see you on here Harry.
LOL,remember the old I=Play boards?
And you think this is a tough crowd<snickers>
FVA_C_Blade_XC
XenoCorp Fleet Operations
www.xenocorp.net
ISC Race Moderator
Visioneer
S.S.Blade

See Wade,See Wade post like an arse,See Wade get banned.
Dont be a Wade!

Offline Cleaven

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2004, 12:53:40 am »
I wonder if there are any Armadillos in this future?

Not sure I can be bothered, but as you are the Doc, can you run an AI standard patrol in 2 minutes in a KRC? If so, there is no problem and I am utterly wrong. If you cannot, then the KRC is a worse ship for AI missions than ones I know can.

Offline Harry

• Paramount Pictures
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2004, 12:57:22 am »

Oh yes, that's a trip down memory lane.  Those were some tough cookies...I also remember the mplayer lobby and playing matches with some of you...it's been awhile. 

Victor1st

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2004, 01:20:52 am »
Darn harry your only in here for an hour or so and you have +2 Karma.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2004, 01:21:22 am »

Oh yes, that's a trip down memory lane.  Those were some tough cookies...I also remember the mplayer lobby and playing matches with some of you...it's been awhile. 

Sir, I appologize for the rather rough review, but I have been disturbed by the trewnds in all the gaming markets and am deeply afraid that Trekgames will follow them.

1.) Why do gaming companies want me to pay $29.99 a month for the privilage to play a game I just paid $49.99 for in a store?

Is Paramont going to resort to that kind tactic in hopes of increasing revenue?

2.) Is this 'recreation' going to do away with hte fact that Enterprise flew in the face of everything that the 4 preceeding Trek series established? You have to know that this is a major boe of contention among fans.

3.) WIth the fact that you are suggesting an 'all eras' game, would the Star Fleet Battles material be considered for inclusion? This would greatly increase the diversity of the game and that is always a good thing.

THere are other concerns, but I think that those are three that I think all on these boards can agree with.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Tirus

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Got Cloak?
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2004, 01:22:27 am »
Thank you for the hard work folks for arranging this interview...and thanks Harry for the answers.

Some of you should try working for a large company and see how much they let you tell the public. Man could I tell you some stories. The negativity here is killing me. Everyone take a deeeeep breath, relax and think positive thoughts.

Thanks for the info folks!

Offline Fluf

• KOTH Fluf Duke of Pies
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Always at fault
    • Knights of the Hegemony
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2004, 01:25:06 am »
Yeah those old I-Play Boards were really rough.  And just spending a night in the M-Player lobby could really be and experience!  ;D

But Im glad to see you drop by Harry.  Dont mind this crowd.  They are just a litt;e snake bitten by the recent events in the last 2 years, with SFC3 (which 90% of this community didnt want), Activisions failure to make good games, and now with the loss of our game developer who supported us through all these tough times, its been pretty hard to maintain a good attitude.

As you know most Star Trek people, are kinda of in their own class.  One of the reasons the SFC series did as well as it did, was the fact that it reached out to a little more intellectual crowd and a little older crowd, since it was based on a 20 year old board game.  Hence the reason most of us are still here.  (and dont go there guys, I know Im and old fart!).

I just hope that you understand that when you are making a Star Trek game, it has to be more than just about the money, especially with Star Trek fans.  The game has to be intellectually stimulating, have long term playability and modability, and the ability to span a vast amount of players age, in order to cover the 30 years that Star Trek as been around.

This in my humble opinion, is why SFC3 failed to do as well as it could have.  The decision was made to move it to TNG, and to "dumb" the game down to make it appeal to a wider audience. Although this made good business sense from a marketing point of view, it neglected a large part of the player base, that was actually looking for a more advanced game, and what most of the community here was looking for, which was a game that spanned from the TOS era to the TNG era and beyond, but they still wanted the complexity that the original SFC series gave to them.

I would say 95% of the players here that owned EAW and OP, bought SFC3, and might have played it once, but most are using it for a drink coaster now.  They bought it to support Taldren, in hoping that we would get SFC4 or Galaxies at War.  Now that is probably not a possibility ever.  And yet we still hang in here playing a 4 year old game and enjoying it every night.  Sure we might play some other games for a bit, but we always come back to the game that we love and cherish like no other.

So dont take things personally here!  We are all just a little bitter now.  The only thing that is keeping us going is the possible release of the source code for EAW and OP, so that we might be able to get what we all wanted, and that was SFC4-Galaxies at War.

We do look forward to your comments and discussion involving future Star Trek gaming.  So just hang out and have some fun with us, and keep us informed when you can!  ;D
Patriarch Knights of the Hegemony
SFC2.net Admin
SFC3.net Admin
Battlezone Admin
Litterbox Admin

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2004, 01:28:41 am »
Thanks for agreeing to the interview Harry.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Harry

• Paramount Pictures
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2004, 01:35:11 am »

Sir, I appologize for the rather rough review, but I have been disturbed by the trewnds in all the gaming markets and am deeply afraid that Trekgames will follow them.

1.) Why do gaming companies want me to pay $29.99 a month for the privilage to play a game I just paid $49.99 for in a store?

Is Paramont going to resort to that kind tactic in hopes of increasing revenue?

2.) Is this 'recreation' going to do away with hte fact that Enterprise flew in the face of everything that the 4 preceeding Trek series established? You have to know that this is a major boe of contention among fans.

3.) WIth the fact that you are suggesting an 'all eras' game, would the Star Fleet Battles material be considered for inclusion? This would greatly increase the diversity of the game and that is always a good thing.

THere are other concerns, but I think that those are three that I think all on these boards can agree with.

No problem.  I can understand your reservations.

1.  Those kinds of games have tremendous upkeep.  Those server farms don't come cheap.  And putting out a fresh stream of content, coupled with customer service support, doesn't come cheaply.  Creating games of that nature is a massive undertaking and the costs are exponentially higher.

2.  That's a loaded question...all I can tell you is in the gaming dept., it's our intention to stick with established canon as our base.

3.  I'm not really suggesting an all eras game at all.  I was asked if in the future, we'd consider one, and I said it would be considered, but since there are many things to work out, it wasn't going to be an easy thing to deal with - if we even decided to go that way.

Harry

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2004, 01:40:09 am »
Think I asked this...but would you ever consider a down and out solid RPG along the lines of Knights of the Old Republic, or the Final Fantasy series.  I like RPGs, especially good ones...a lot of others do as well!  I like PC games best, but personally for RPGs if it's on a console, it still would be worth a shot!
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2004, 01:41:14 am »
Thank you, sir... that was a little more specific and it was as much what I was looking for as I know you can give. Good luuck to all of you and I hope that the next Trek game is as good as SFC.

And as far as the loaded question... you can't really blame a man for trying, now can you. It has gotten to the point that we are no longer sure what 'established cannon' means... it gets re-written about every other show!

J. Carney

Offline Tirus

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Got Cloak?
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2004, 01:44:49 am »
Man Harry I wish someone had warned me you were going to be here tonight...so many questions so little time....

-Are there established market research firms that test early game concepts or specialize in early game development? Could you name any?

-Could you recommend any good books about the inner workings of the current gaming industry?

-I've heard many vets wish for a Trek game that combines elements of Freelancer, Homeworld and the SFC series. A game where you can move in a multiplayer universe from solar system to solar system in fleets and still have the complexity of let's say SFC2 ships. Something that allows the casual Trek player to play, but allows for complex options for the serious Trek or gaming player. Has there been any talk about Trek games of this type?

Offline Harry

• Paramount Pictures
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2004, 01:51:26 am »
Think I asked this...but would you ever consider a down and out solid RPG along the lines of Knights of the Old Republic, or the Final Fantasy series.  I like RPGs, especially good ones...a lot of others do as well!  I like PC games best, but personally for RPGs if it's on a console, it still would be worth a shot!

Definitely.  RPG's take a lot more time, resources, and money to make, but it's something I'd like to see for Trek.  It's the only genre we really haven't explored.  It won't be easy though.

J. Carney, as long as I've been involved in the SFC community, and Trek gaming community for that matter, I would expect nothing less ;)

Tirus - I'm not sure if there are ones that specifically target game concepts, but there are companies that do focus testing on games and television shows and a multitude of products.  Can I name them...not off the top of my head...sorry.

-Again, not off the top of my head, but I'll look at what I have and post later.

-That's quite a lot to cram in to a game!  Not impossible though.  I don't think a game as specific as that has been discussed, but it's something to keep in the back of our minds...as I mentioned in the interview, you'll know more details in the near future.

(got to go to bed now...)

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2004, 02:13:46 am »
Thanks for dropping by harry...been a while