Topic: Paramount hath spoken  (Read 60796 times)

Offline Khalee

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Paramount hath spoken
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2004, 10:03:22 pm »
OK then  but maybe a 10000 poly limit or maybe no limit, I still don't want to see a butt ugly Enterprise A, which is Ugly at 1000 to 1500 polies. 

More things

Ease of modability, But my only experience is with the SFC series which OP and EAW are by far easier then SFC3 to mod at least for me which was one of the reasons I got rid of it,  But I dont know anything about how easy or hard it is to mod for the the other trek games

No ramming I don't want to play Ram Academy again that was the worst thing I hated about Klingon Academy

No 3d As none of the big ships looped and roled even in Star wars Because how could they fire their weapons if they are doing that, Plus I never saw even in star wars on the big ship crew straping themselves in. But If you can make it maybe for just the little ships then perhaps yes 3d.

Heavy weapons to be limited in Supply A lot of on screen evidence to back this up.

And Ill post some more things.

Ok heres some more cloaks and shields On screen evidence shows that bigger ships can have shields up while cloaking in and out. So how about cruisers and bigger can have shilds up while cloaked but Light Cruisers and smaller cannot.

Also no probes to find cloaked ships with. it was only done once and never again.

Oh and Mines as Mines were used in several shows. But use the SFB style mines and rules
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 10:20:17 pm by Khalee »

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2004, 11:29:48 pm »
Bonk if u think ur system has problems... check out my specs! P Celeron, 633mhz, 128mb Ram, 64mb GeForce 4 MX 440 PCI
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2004, 11:35:33 pm »
I like it Khalee, but why limit shields cloaking on higher hull ships? Why not limit it on the type of shields? If someone wants to hack out the extra cash, and less weapons, to get better sheilds, shouldnt they get the benefits? I disagree with you on using probes to find cloaked ships...

Offline Khalee

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2004, 11:55:21 pm »
Probes are cheesy and were only used one time.

And the cloak deal was a compromise. But anyway I would not think the small ships would have the power to run a cloak and shields as well. Plus Riker said that the Bre'l class ships( pretty much a frigate or PF depending on what you believe), could not raise shields and cloak at the same time. Which makes since to me.

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2004, 12:30:12 am »
I would not think the small ships would have the power to run a cloak and shields as well.   They could if they had no heavy weapons... but they wouldnt be able to while charging phasers... I'm just saying it should be limited on the shield class... not the ship hull.

I like probes... they come in handy on asteroid base missions in SFC2 when you take out the defense and ur over 120 away from the base...

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2004, 01:42:31 am »
boy.. take a vacation and look what happens.. that said there are a couple things I would like to throw into the ring.

Harry, thank you for taking time to do an interview. I sincerly hope that people take the fact in a positive manner. Many companies and devs just do not do that anymore as they spend time working on a game instead of answering every message tit for tat.

thank you.

I dont wish to cause any flamage....and all props to Harry....but I must simply address the following...

Secondly, to some in here who think that sfc2 is the end all to be all and that "90%" wanted another sfc2 - you are wrong.

This is why I respond.....it is addressed to me, amongst others...not by name .....but by sentiment

Since I can harkin up no thread that proves this.... I will simply remind you of the poll that Erik took concerning the path of SFC that the "community" wanted followed....

That thread was recapped by Erik twords the end , and showed the overwleming support was for an SFB "based' SFC4......(this was done during release of SFC3)....

Lets not try to get into another flame war -

I strive NOT to.....but some comments I might make could be miscontrued into flamage...woe to those who fan such flames...

but even in the situation it was released in - if more support had been given - and the game had not been RMA'd - it would have done a lot better than what some think. in fact, from my knowledge of the situation - it was A LOT better than what some around here believe.

Having been a member of both testing groups(as you were)...I can confirm this.....but NOT for the reasons you infer..

There was quite alot of resistance to suggestions that SFC3 should contain MORE detailed content(aka SFB)...and often you where part of that controversy as my adversary...

Lets look at your next statement:

IMO, the problem with sfc3 is that they took too much out.

As I recall....that was my biggest beef....that hey had abandoned an entire rule set in favor of "newness"..or even defered to "canon" vs "old mentality"

had time been given i think that more important things would have been added back in to add the levels of detail. Look at some of the popular sfc3 mods out there - including my own - all which people love and enjoy.. the key to many of them was an increased level of detail..

I agree...but for different reasons....had they simply added the level of detail ALLREADY present in OP it would have made a better baseline....

And Kudos to you for taking the time to support SFC3 with your mod....I really mean that..

...although I would note that your own mod adds more elements of the D2 realm.

that all said, what i am trying to say is that I hope that paramount - when they talk to a developer and publisher - will talk to them in simple terms to make sure there is an adequate ammount of detail in the game.

I fully agree...in fact...I would engourage Harry to press for access to ANY testers group so he can get feedback first hand...from the end user....rather than from the dev team....he might get relevent impressions long before reviewers get a demo..

It does not need to be as rule anal retentive (and non star trek) as some of the sfb stuff (and let me be clear - sfb stuff is NOT trek..) -

Stop...right there...

You simply CANNOT support one game ruleset without disparaging the other three games in the series....and this continues to floor me...

SFB IS trek....at least the material used so far in the SFC series...and it became so when Paramount gave blessing for SFC itself....using the SFB ruleset and official ADB SSD's for ship stats...

SFB is as much "TreK" as...

The Original Series...

The novel series...

The Console game series...

The PC games...

The comics series...

The animated series...

The Motion Picture era..

The Next Generation series..

The Deep Space 9 series...

The Voyager series...

The "Enterprise" series....

It's ALL canon...because it has ALL been approved by Paramount.....period.

but i do believe that sfc 1(which blows away all copies of sfc) proved that people were looking for a trek combat sim with a good level of detail.

Hmmm..this runs counter to your previous statement:

"sfb stuff is NOT trek"

SFC1 is BASED on SFB...it says so right on the damn box......

we can debate the rest until we are blue in the face and it will be nothing more than speculation since we do not have the marketing report/survey in front of us.

Untrue....YOU can continue to debate it, not the rest of us.....because you have NEVER accepted SFB as Trek.....and I suspect you never will.....you even say so yourself....

Bottom line is Harry, I think a lot of us cannot wait to see a detailed RPG game or another killer space sim. Too bad Bridge Commander ended up the way it did. Add in a lot more ships/variations and a good number of changes on multiplayer and I think it would be a good game (especially being 3d driven - join in progress combat and true warping from system to system).

I've never played BC...so I cant speak to it's flaws....but I fully agree with your sentiment..

One last thing.. Victor - I do not think it is right for you to speak for harry. He is a grown man who can talk for him self.

Yup....agreed.. 

The one thing I do agree with you about Victor is that if and when the next big (and i do mean successful/decent) trek sim comes out, sfc will be gone. In the end it is all about game play.

As I recall.....you said the same thing about SFC3......that the people would speak for "progress" and SFC2/OP style of play would be obsolete....and die...

Curious....we are still playing SFC:op...so what gives?

Harry. I would like to thank you for the guidence on sfc3. For us Trek fans, it gets us the closest to trek cannon as we can get.

Please...dont assume to speak for all ...

I love the correct primary/heavy weapon configuration among the good things.. So SFC3 is not as bad as some might content. It simply needed more detail and content. Please remember that!

Remember what?...that the refit system is one of the biggest gripes that previous SFC fans had with the game?...as evidenced by comments in this very thread? and that it was developed in a vaccume in absence of any baseline?

Please take note about what made these games so successful.

Many of us have...and continue to point out....the factor is SFB.....

That being said...

SFC is NOT sfb...any more than chicken soup is chicken....but upon removal of the chicken...the soup has lost it's flavor...

I cannot wait to see what you might have up your sleave.

Nor can I....but I suspect that what ever it is....it will not enitce me from my current favor of play...this genre is now dominated by SFB based SFC....

Yes...I believe that SFC created a new genre...

If you want to sell a better mouse trap...you better figure out the bait needed...

It need not be SFB...but it MUST be highly detailed and make common sence....

And like chicken soup for a cold.....

SFB may not help....but it couldnt hurt... ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 08:45:17 am by KBF-Crim »

Offline Khalee

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2004, 01:51:36 am »
The animated series...

Really these two are now canon? when did they make them that?.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2004, 02:00:57 am »
Didn't "Enterprise" become "Star Trek: Enterprise" at some point?   I remember all the guff over them adding it (or at least the suggestion that they were going to add it at one point so that people would associate it with Trek).   If that's the case, then there you go.   

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2004, 02:20:22 am »
Damn it Crim! YOU LEFT OUT VOYAGER!

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2004, 07:59:10 am »
Damn it Crim! YOU LEFT OUT VOYAGER!

I don't think that was an accident <SNICKER>

Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline KBF-Crim

• Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2004, 08:39:48 am »
Doh...hehehe...

also...wasnt there an attempt at a show based on StarFleet academy?

Offline KBF-Crim

• Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2004, 09:44:39 am »
The animated series...

Really these two are now canon? when did they make them that?.

Define canon... and...

Who is "they"? ;D

Is there a group assigned to vote on what is canon and what isnt?

For "some" fans....they take canon to mean shown on film or in TOS...only...

Well gee...that would leave out 95% of the Trek universe...wouldnt it?

Am I not a fan?...can I not have say in what canon is?....I Take canon to be anything that has Paramount's stamp of approval...which would now include SFB "based" Star Fleet Command...

See...there are lots of Trek fans who deny other parts of Trek are canon when they personally dont like those other parts....

They put their hands over there ears and do the LA LA LA song when you even mention some shows or series'

Just because some TOS fans might not like TNG or VOY doesnt make TNG or VOY any LESS canon...does it?

How can one part of a "fantasy" Universe by more real than any other part? :-\

So as long as Nanner step ups and says "SFB is NOT Trek"....I will be here to say "Yes....it is....and here's WHY"

SFB became "Trek" officially the day that SFC1 hit the shelves...

I quote from the box....(the Appoved by Paramount box....heh.)

"Using data from the best selling strategy board game. Star Fleet Battles, Stafleet Command put you in the captains chair for the most amazing real time space combat experience ever created."

Pledge allegence in the Klingon Empire, The United Federation of Planets, The Romulan Star Empire, The Hydran kingdom, The Gorn Confederation, or the Lyran Star empire.

Finally, a starship naval combat game worthy of the name STAR TREK

I can read ya know...seems pretty damn clear to me...

If SFB is not Trek....then how can SFC (which is based on SFB ) ...Be Trek !?!

Notice in the thread some people have asserted just that....that SFC isnt Trek either... ::)

Bet that comes as a surprise to Harry....and Paramount.. :o

Now imagine having this same conversation over and over for years with another who is in denial of SFB even being Trek... and trying to suggest even more detail form the SFB side of the universe... :skeptic:

What kind of resistance do you think that is met with? :banghead:

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2004, 11:36:35 am »
If SFB and SFC isn't Trek, as some claim, then you don't need Paramounts approval to make games on it since they hold the licenses for Trek and if SFB and SFC aren't Trek then they are open territory for whoever wants to make a game right?   Betcha Paramount would have a problem with that.  ;)

Offline Harry

• Paramount Pictures
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2004, 01:01:08 pm »
Let's just saying, being "Trek" is one thing, but being "canon" is another.  Being "Trek" doesn't necessarily mean you are "canon." 

Anything seen on tv or in a movie theater is canon.  Games, books, etc that are approved by us may be Trek, but they aren't canon.

Harry

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2004, 01:17:06 pm »
  Hear Hear .I like all the games on an even scale.I like SFC2OP as much as I like SFC3 .There in one thing though that SFC2OP and prior are mere exagerations of Star Trek.They aren't canon as SF3 is.

Offline Khalee

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2004, 01:20:27 pm »
  Hear Hear .I like all the games on an even scale.I like SFC2OP as much as I like SFC3 .There in one thing though that SFC2OP and prior are mere exagerations of Star Trek.They aren't canon as SF3 is.
SFC3 is hardly canon itself so stop claming that it is.

Offline KBF-Crim

• Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2004, 01:29:31 pm »
Let's just saying, being "Trek" is one thing, but being "canon" is another.  Being "Trek" doesn't necessarily mean you are "canon."

:-\...hehe...ok ...sure....why not.. ;) 

Posted by Harry:
Anything seen on tv or in a movie theater is canon.

Ok...roger that...

The Original Series...

The animated series...

The Motion Picture era..

The Voyager series...

...got it...

Posted by Harry:
  Games, books, etc that are approved by us may be Trek, but they aren't canon.

Harry

Ok roger that too...

The novel series...

The comics series...

The PC games...Including SFC1 , 2 , OP, and SFC3

So although its not considered canon...it IS considered Trek...

Thanks for the clarification!

:notworthy:

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2004, 01:35:12 pm »
What is not canon in it?

Offline Harry

• Paramount Pictures
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2004, 01:43:44 pm »

:-\...hehe...ok ...sure....why not.. ;) 

Posted by Harry:
Anything seen on tv or in a movie theater is canon.

Ok...roger that...

The Original Series...

The animated series...

The Motion Picture era..

The Voyager series...

...got it...

Posted by Harry:
  Games, books, etc that are approved by us may be Trek, but they aren't canon.

Harry

Ok roger that too...

The novel series...

The comics series...

The PC games...Including SFC1 , 2 , OP, and SFC3

So although its not considered canon...it IS considered Trek...

Thanks for the clarification!

:notworthy:

There is some ambiguity on the animated series if I recall correctly...not sure on that one.

The SFB board game is an entirely different ball of wax due to the issues surrounding it.

Offline Sten

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2004, 02:37:16 pm »
What is not canon in it?

I could say the entire rip off of the Mechwarrior line when it comes to configuring a ship for starters.