Topic: Someone is stealing the name and idea OP+ from me!  (Read 17502 times)

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
    • http://klingon.lostexiles.net/
Re: Someone is stealing the name and idea OP+ from me!
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2004, 02:49:44 pm »
Copyright in this area may be somewhat ambiguous...OP+ is a derivative work so you may not have a very strong footing in that area.
However, OP+ is your mark in trade, or in more conventional English -- your Trademark.
In the U.S. you have to register a trade mark for most legal protections. The loophole for that is that if you can prove that you are generally known to do business under a particular mark, then you have a leg up on anyone else that tries to use that same name in the same industry.

The long and the short of it is, he cannot use "OP+", "OPPlus", or any variation of that may induce others to think he is you.

His "compromise" attempts to make it sound like he has the power because you granted permission to do whatever he wanted with the work. In fact, you have the power in this instance due to trademark.

Don't cave on this. You are in the right.

Indeed.

Author: OP+ Mod
Maintainer: Coopace
Author: Fests+ for OP
Creator: SFC-OP Mini Updater
Maintainer: SFC-EAW for OP Campaigns
Kitbash: SFC2 models

Offline USS Mariner

• Heavy Cruiser, NCC-1712
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2004, 03:06:36 pm »
Well, I hope thing work out. It seems like your pretty well set and backed up, so good luck to you. Maybe I'll get OP+ someday, if I can control myself from changing the specs though.

;)

---

Frey, sorry bout that cussing. I'm just used to more "flexible" forums, that's all. Personally, I don't mind unedited swearing, if it's not the entire content of the post, but hey, your board, your rules. I apologise. :(
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan

Steam: Mariner1712

Offline KBF-Dogmatix_XC

• Pimpmaster General
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2004, 03:07:26 pm »
I got an email from Morpheous. I want to know what you guys think before I agree with his compromise. I drew you all into this, I want to know your opinions.

The email:
So here is the compromise:
I call it the WGLOP+ 7Races Add-on
And you make it public that you accept the Terms of our agreement and back
the mod as a Add-On to the 3.3.

Business is business and you did give us the permission. We just never
discussed the Name of it to you.

I believe this is appropriate. I would be even happier if it's called version 1.0. I will have to make it clear to him that there is no agreement whatsoever. I was recorded saying that anybody can do anything with any parts of the mod. He's open to do whatever he can within the confines of the license accompanying the mod.

And OP+ is not Business, it's way personal.

What do you guys think?

-- Luc
FireSoul

I think you're right on here, Luc.  I'm with you on the naming convention, as well.  Were it me, I'd want to see them start their naming at version 1.0.  The name needs to be adequately seperated from your work.  Calling their's "4.0" (ahead of your "3.3") where their's is actually and obviously only "1.0" is wrong, in my view.

I also thought it was funny that they said you haven't done anything "Lately" for this community.  Even if that were true, which is so obviously is not, it doesn't mean a damned thing.  Your contributions are legion.

Dogmatix, XC, KBF
yo' aj, Klingon Black Fleet
Director, XenoCorp Tactics and Strategy Division
DGA Board of Directors
SFC2.Net Administrator

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2004, 03:08:56 pm »
OK. Why is Kim listed as a guest on her posts?  :-\
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2004, 03:14:31 pm »
I was wondering the same thing myself.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2004, 03:22:06 pm »
   I am not sure but they might be making changes to these boards.I have noticed it myself and it wasn't like this yesterday.Sorry for being a little OT here FireSoul.I don't even see her sig.

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2004, 03:55:50 pm »
   I am not sure but they might be making changes to these boards.I have noticed it myself and it wasn't like this yesterday.Sorry for being a little OT here FireSoul.I don't even see her sig.

No.. It's actually very on-topic..

.. Kim got sick of us D2 people "acting like babies" when we acted in my defense of OP+ in that forum. She.. .. may have decided to have her account deleted and removed from these boards. I suggest you go read that thread in the D2 forum side of things..  Very similar name to this one.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2004, 05:04:41 pm »

.. Kim got sick of us D2 people "acting like babies" when we acted in my defense of OP+ in that forum. She.. .. may have decided to have her account deleted and removed from these boards. I suggest you go read that thread in the D2 forum side of things..  Very similar name to this one.
You are right she deleted her account and it no longer on the membership list.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2004, 05:34:57 pm »
You are right she deleted her account and it no longer on the membership list.

That's what I figured. I had read her posts. I hope that she has a change of heart. If any of you all have her e-mail maybe you could check on her? After all, she's one of the nicer people that we have around here, IMO, and this->  :rollingpin: will be pretty haunting if she isn't around any more. >:(
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2004, 07:17:22 pm »
    I guess LeRoy will have to have talk with her.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2004, 06:58:11 am »

Did she have a personal stake in this Morpheous person and/or WGLOP+ 7 Add on?  The ?cave men? insult and then her untimely exit seemed a little over the top.  Especially since I didn?t see anything that warranted her comments from anyone up to that point.  Personally I don?t bare any ill will towards her, but if she doesn?t want to post here anymore that is her choice to make.  Firesoul has every right to defend all the hard work that he has put into his project.  And we as a community have every right to support him.

Offline AdmWaterTiger-11thFleet-

• Unity Admin
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Veni vidi vici
    • Spartan Vanguard
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2004, 08:06:24 am »

Firesoul, WGL is about dead anyways ... Morpheous has a habit of stepping on toes.

Have you ever talked to him on TeamSpeak? I could get the TeamSpeak address for you. Perhaps too much is being misinterpreted in the written word here. Age put this topic up in the Tri-Mod forums and I have offered any support. Need anything from D-3 modders, let me know.

Your work has always spoken for itself.

<S>

WaterTiger
http://www.spartanvanguard.com/
http://www.stcd.sgnonline.com/users/trimodyards/

KoraH: "Remember my advice to you Wade, that you should drop SFC ...  you will find that all you have to put up with to do so is going to sour the sweetness of your hard work."

CM.E.Kehakoul_XC

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2004, 09:56:04 am »
 There is no doubt about the intentions Morpheous had, If we hadnt acted fast  he had succded with his foul play. There are times for diplomatic activities and times to Draw a line> I for my part posted him directly what i think he was up to, it was an attempt of blatant thievery which we stoped  and thats it.
As i was the first  who posted on their boards directly after firesouls response,i assume the "caveman" expression ,Kim used was also a tag for me.
I dont know that woman, and i object to brownnose people who just tryed to rip me off  ,one of my friends  or XC. I  will not excuse for that.

One suggestion for KIm i got though, read slowly and carefully the  chatt logs Firesoul posted.
IF you really  READ what  stands there you will eventually grasp what this guy tryed,and in what a jackass fashion.
 I doubt we need people like him arround,i even would go as far as saying we dont need people  who act like him at all.

weired times we live in, the just cause has to defend  itself.. ,..ODD.

Caveman...  CM.E.Kehakoul_XC
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 01:28:29 pm by CM.E.Kehakoul_XC »

Offline Whoo

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2004, 03:48:59 pm »
Let me state for the record, GZ has, and will only support updates from Firesoul.

We have nothing to do with WGL and never have.
I had a sig, but the dog ate it.

Offline Whoo

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2004, 03:58:20 pm »
interesting link..

http://wgleague.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=mod

Why don't we all go give our opinion of this matter?
The site is down and I tried twice in the D2 forum.You might want to talk to Strat about this as he is a member of gz.league if that is the same as wg.league.I would check out his mod chooser as well to see if OP+ is yours.

GZ is same as WGL???
May you be turned into a tribble and pee'd on by a romulan :p

Offline Whoo

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2004, 04:05:37 pm »
I would like to say, after reading that conversation my views on this because I am tired of my hard work at GZ being crapped on by this meglomaniac.

*** EDIT***
DEAR MORPH
***/END EDIT***

#1-Firesoul did this for the community, GZ picked it up because of the dedicated work firesoul put into the game, making it FUN.  He did not design this for GZ, and to be honest he didnt know we were even using it until we talked with him on TS.
#2-Stop bringing my name into this.  You have a misconception that I am in some sort of competition with you, when in actuality I don't care.  Take your BQL league and your KB8's campaign and go off in your little corner of the world and leave me be.
#3-I had nothing to do with firesouls knowledge of you stealing his good name. When I was told about it, I simply assumed he gave you permission.  Foolish though, but thats what I thought.
#4-GZ by far is winding down, I have accepted this.  I intend to expand no further and have announced to the community that once the community loses interest, I will shut it down.  So stop f*cking with me, go away, do what ever it is you do between your god-of-one episodes on GSA and designing your new features on my Teamspeak.

I am very, very, very tired of this...
Keep me out of your affairs you netstalker
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 04:40:49 pm by Whoo »

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2004, 04:37:02 pm »
I would like to say, after reading that conversation my views on this because I am tired of my hard work at GZ being crapped on by this meglomaniac.

#1-Firesoul did this for the community, GZ picked it up because of the dedicated work firesoul put into the game, making it FUN.  He did not design this for GZ, and to be honest he didnt know we were even using it until we talked with him on TS.
#2-Stop bringing my name into this.  You have a misconception that I am in some sort of competition with you, when in actuality I don't care.  Take your BQL league and your KB8's campaign and go off in your little corner of the world and leave me be.
#3-I had nothing to do with firesouls knowledge of you stealing his good name. When I was told about it, I simply assumed he gave you permission.  Foolish though, but thats what I thought.
#4-GZ by far is winding down, I have accepted this.  I intend to expand no further and have announced to the community that once the community loses interest, I will shut it down.  So stop f*cking with me, go away, do what ever it is you do between your god-of-one episodes on GSA and designing your new features on my Teamspeak.

I am very, very, very tired of this...
Keep me out of your affairs you netstalker

Hi Whoo,

..to what/whom are you replying to? I'm a bit confused..

Offline Whoo

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2004, 04:39:15 pm »
I just read the conversation between you and Morph...

It wasnt directed at you

Offline Whoo

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2004, 04:41:24 pm »
There...
Fixed...

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2004, 05:28:58 pm »
interesting link..

http://wgleague.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=mod

Why don't we all go give our opinion of this matter?
The site is down and I tried twice in the D2 forum.You might want to talk to Strat about this as he is a member of gz.league if that is the same as wg.league.I would check out his mod chooser as well to see if OP+ is yours.

GZ is same as WGL???
May you be turned into a tribble and pee'd on by a romulan :p
It is not working.