Topic: Bacon Gravy  (Read 6556 times)

Offline Khalee

• Lt. Junior Grade
Bacon Gravy
« on: July 21, 2004, 07:34:11 pm »
In skillet brown 4 pieces of Bacon, drain all but two tablespoons of grease (Very important resist eating bacon)  crumble up the 4 pieces of Bacon and put back in, I only used 3 as I ate 1 piece, HEY I was hungry. Next start with 1/8 cup flour 1/2 cup milk and add to grease and start mixing. I like my gravy some what creamy so I wound up with about maybe 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups milk to 1/4 flour salt pepper to taste and enjoy.

Can't be more accurate than that as you mix it the way you like it but it gives you a start. You can sub sausage and or hamburger for the Bacon but I wanted Bacon.

Offline kmelew

• "From the Place of the Hops-Growers"
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Bacon Gravy
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 07:36:04 pm »
::drools::
"I'm Kmelew, and I approve this post."

Offline drb

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 08:25:28 pm »
Hoi there,

Your timing was good just had a feed of bacon and perogies. Seasoning not needed tonight, but maple curry perogies are very nice.

Take care

drb

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 08:30:12 pm »
Khalee..go onto E-bay, search for church cookbooks, and find out why I peruse the category...most can be had for $5 or less, great recipes (especially the older books) and are easy to do..I especially like Lutheran cookbooks, but we are big on potlucks (always carry a fork to church, a potluck might break out)   :D

Sounds like a good recipe, not hard to make, and very tasty.  That's the way to go about it.

I do all the cooking, but I'm not Emerril or Mario, but you can learn to adapt thier recipes to what you can do...I do like Alton Brown, he tends to be more down to earth, tho' he can get a little crazy...

Trying to figure out my scanner, when I do, I'll post some of my recipes (got a great one for lumpia (Phillippino deep fried meat/vegetable rolls that my wife got from our housegirl when station in the Phillippines).

But, since it's corn season:

Crustless Corn Quiche

3 eggs
1 cup whole milk or half- and- half
4 Tbl melted butter
2 cups fresh corn kernals (or 16 oz frozen)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
a pinch of cayenne (to taste)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 pound of Vermont Chedder Cheese, thinly sliced
2 Tbl grated parmesan cheese

1.  Beat together eggs, milk and butter.  Stir in corn, salt, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg.

2.  Place half the mixture in a buttered pan or 1 1/2 quart baking dish.  Spread with chedder cheese, top with remaining corn mixture, and sprikle with parmsan cheese.  Bake @ 325 for approximately 45 minutes, or until set.  

Let stand a few minutes before cutting.

Serves 6 adults, or 2 teenagers.    ;D

Good luck,

Mike
Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul

Offline Grand Master of Shadows NCC37385

• Captain
  • 107th Confederate Militia! Sic Semper Tyrannis
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 09:32:44 pm »
Bacon gravy, sausage gravy, or livermush gravy are tops in my book!

I'm God's gift to women!

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.-Robert A. Heinlein

Help control the idiot population. Have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Offline Khalee

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 09:36:05 pm »
I like liver but whats Livermush Gravy? Never heard of it.

• Captain
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 09:45:47 pm »

Livermush is a product sold in NC. It contains liver, cornmeal, and spices. Its good fried, as for breakfast, or on a sandwich. Its precooked so you can eat it right out of the package.

I have a recipe to make your own. I'll find it and post it.

I'm God's gift to women!

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 09:50:00 pm »
You know, I always just Eye Balled Gravy. Using the Simple Batter Recipe in the Chicken Fry thread, I usually just leave all the Grease still in the pan, turn off the heat, and add the Flour Mixture. Throw in some Milk... andstart Stirring.

I have to admit though, there is a Knack for making good gravy. My wife is an Excellent cook, but It took me about 2 years to show her how to make Gravy. Oh and Don't have milk? then use Coffee. It makes a great Gravy also.

Will, We need to get that Cook book done.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

• Captain
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 10:21:50 pm »
Her is a basic livermush recipe. Some people add peppers and such, but this is the start.

LIVERMUSH

1 hogs liver 
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2-1 C cornmeal         
2 Tbs. Sage
Salt to taste           
Ground red pepper (optional)

Cut up the liver, wash it well and remove the skin. Boil until tender in salted water. Remove and run through a colander until fine, or mash well. Mix the meat with 1 cup of the broth it was cooked in. Bring to a boil slowly, stirring in sifted corn-meal until thick. Also stir in salt to taste, black pepper, sage and a little red pepper if desired. Pour into a mold and let sit until cold. Slice and eat it as a sandwich meat or fry for breakfast with gravy.

Coffee gravy in the South is called Red Eye Gravy.

I agree bro. Im finding and sorting my recipes now. I have ALOT.

I'm God's gift to women!

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 10:23:16 pm »
I still need to Get ahold of Kinkos and ToastyO tomorrow. Pleas PM me tomorrow in case I forget. I have so many things going on right now.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

• Captain
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 10:25:32 pm »
Sure Stephen, no problem. :thumbsup:

I'm God's gift to women!

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 10:39:37 pm »
Go to WWW.morriscookbooks.com  as they will publish your own, as you want it,  cookbook...how abourt compiling the SFC cookbook?

Also, you can go there and peruse the recipes that have been collected over the years...

Mike

Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2004, 10:48:36 pm »
That's a good Idea Mike. I'll have to look into tha also...

Stephen

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 10:51:36 pm »
I love my grandma's chocolate gravy.  Sigh, she's in the hospital so no more chocolate gravy.
He who can master the data controls the world.

Ravok

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 10:57:20 pm »

Livermush is a product sold in NC. It contains liver, cornmeal, and spices. Its good fried, as for breakfast, or on a sandwich. Its precooked so you can eat it right out of the package.

I have a recipe to make your own. I'll find it and post it.

Shadow i think Yankees call it scrapple?
But I'm not sure its the same thing.

PS i would love to own a cookbook with all of your family's good old southern recipes.
I was raised on it, and it is the food of the Gods to me. :o :) :) :thumbsup:
Please keep me posted on it. :)

• Captain
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2004, 11:02:05 pm »
Sure, no problem.  ;D

Scrapple is different. As the name implies, it is the scraps left over from butchering a hog.

I'm God's gift to women!

Ravok

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2004, 11:05:16 pm »
 Thanks Shadow. :)

Ravok

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2004, 12:14:24 am »
Kahlee, Shadow you guys should ask for a stickied recipe thread.
 I personally think it would be great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm a pretty good cook my self and i allways look for different recipes.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2004, 12:19:04 am »
I love my grandma's chocolate gravy.  Sigh, she's in the hospital so no more chocolate gravy.

I still hope she Gets Better Kirk, Even though I know It's a hardship on you. Damn man, you've just had a String of Bad luck lately. Just keep your chin up.

Stephen

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2004, 12:57:30 am »

I still hope she Gets Better Kirk, Even though I know It's a hardship on you. Damn man, you've just had a String of Bad luck lately. Just keep your chin up.

Stephen

Thanks, my friend.  I'm often reminded of a certain 80's song about not breakin' my stride, not letting it get me down...etc.  Can't remember it at the moment.

Dang, I want to go to SF but I don't have the money.  Manuel's got a bottle of Absynthe. 
He who can master the data controls the world.