Topic: THE RECIPE THREAD  (Read 86611 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: THE RECIPE THREAD
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2006, 04:25:34 pm »
Oh this is gonna be an easy one. Of course, I'm sure he knows about Stews, and roasts and things like that, But HE can also do some Chicken and Dumblings. Just get a chicken quarter, and a Can of Biscuits, and dump in there with whatever seasonings he likes, in a few hours, He'll have a pretty good meal for him and a few buddies. + It's pretty cheap.

You can also do the Rotel / Velvetta with a bit of Hamburger or sausage, and do a Nacho type thing pretty quickly.

BTW, I still use that spice package idea with the aluminum foil he showed me when I visited.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Ferretlxix_XC

• Methane Breathing Weasel Capt. & Halo/RvB fanatic
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
  • Hydran Capt Xeno Corp, XC clan overlord Halo 2
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2006, 05:42:57 pm »
mmmmm nachos, sound so good right now.  I'll probably have to look at that as a nice snack/dinner combo for a movie night.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2006, 06:07:37 pm »
mmmmm nachos, sound so good right now.  I'll probably have to look at that as a nice snack/dinner combo for a movie night.

Man that's just not right Steve. OK, someone tell me how to Freeze Dry Nachoes for my good friend here.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2007, 08:01:12 pm »
My Chili for one or two helpings  know this was all done to my taste But you can adjust to your tastes as needed
Pound to pound n half beef chicken turkey. I used beef

Three table spoons minced onion.

Half to table spoon minced garlic.

6 ounce can tomato paste, can n half to two cans of water. 

Chili powder to taste think I used four tablespoons

Brown beef add onion garlic  tomato paste mix together

start adding water to thin or thick you like it. add chili powder again on who spicy you like it.

Bring to boil for about 5 min thin simmer till your ready to eat.

Now for me this came out pretty good as I dont really like real spicy foods but again you can adjust it for yourself but it's a good start I think for somthing easy.

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2007, 11:51:25 am »
Faux Phở

The Vietnamese beef noodle soup Phở is often eaten for breakfast. This particular recipe is a shortcut version that bypasses the day long process needed to produce the broth required of a real phở. While Faux Phở can't hope to hold up against the honest to goodness real Phở broth, its relatively quick preparation time makes up for some of it's shortcomings while still being a tasty breakfast alternative to more familiar breakfast fare.

If you care to make real Phở broth, even better.

----the Broth----
1 tbsp Canola oil
1/2 Onion chopped
1 inch fresh ginger sliced
3 cups beef stock (the clearer the better)
1 cup water
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 star anise
2 cloves
1 cinnimon stick
1/2 tsp sugar
pinch of fresh ground pepper

----to the Bowl----
2 servings bánh phở rice noodles
4 slices of deli thin sliced roast beef pulled into rough (approx 3 inch) pieces
1/4 cup onion sliced paper thin
1 green onion diced

----the Toppings----
1/2 cup cilantro
2 wedges of lime
1/2 cub bean sprouts or sliced green cabbage
Vietnamese hot sauce

In a medium pot on medium heat sweat the onions and ginger in the oil until the onions are translucent. Add the stock, water, fish sauce, anise, cloves, cinnimon, sugar and pepper and bring to a boil. While the stock is heating up, ready your noodles in a bowl of hot water. While the noodles are soaking, turn the heat down on the stock and simmer for 25 minutes.

After 25 minutes the noodles should be ready. Drain the noodles and separate into two large bowls. On top of the noodles arrange the roast beef, sliced onion and green onion.

Strain the contents of the broth and put the remaining broth back on high and bring to a quick boil. You want the broth to be as hot as possible. When hot, pour the broth into the bowls of beef, onion and noodle.

Top the finished soup with the cilantro, sprouts or cabbage, juice of the lime wedge and hot sauce to taste if desired.

Serves 2
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

It is impossible to reason someone out of something that he did not reason himself into in the first place. - Jonathan Swift

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2007, 12:07:30 pm »
Hey Can you post that Enchilada sauce breakfast recipe that you mentioned to me the other day. I did add something unusual to my Spinach Enchiladas, OF course it was mostly an Alfredo sauce, (Ricota , Cheese blend actually) but I added pine nuts to the layering sauce, and it turned out fantastic.

Stephen

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2007, 11:35:44 am »
Hey Can you post that Enchilada sauce breakfast recipe that you mentioned to me the other day. I did add something unusual to my Spinach Enchiladas, OF course it was mostly an Alfredo sauce, (Ricota , Cheese blend actually) but I added pine nuts to the layering sauce, and it turned out fantastic.

Stephen

Sorry. Couldn't find that round tuit. Does anyone know where I could pick up a gross of those tuits cheap? (Posted in recipe thread too)

Stumpy's Slacker Especial

I have done a variation of this using green or red salsa for years. If you don't have enchilada sauce or if you'd just prefer salsa that's good too. Great way to use up those annoying left-over tortilla chip crumbs that never seem to get eaten and get thrown out.

1 tsp butter
4 whole eggs, 1 egg white, beaten with 1 tsp water
2 tbsp canned, diced, roasted, mild green chiles
1/3 cup enchilada sauce
1 cup tortilla chip crumbles
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 tbsp sour cream
1 tbsp salsa
1 green onion, diced

Heat the butter in a non-stick skillet on medium heat and beat the eggs until smooth. When the butter starts to bubble, add the eggs and reduce heat to medium-low and scramble the eggs.

When the egg is just set, add the chiles and enchilada sauce and stir together until evenly encorporated. Now add the tortilla chip crumbles and cheese and toss.

Plate family style with the sour cream and salsa on top. Sprinkle with the green onion and garnish with whole tortilla chips. Might need a dash of hot sauce for those who prefer it more caliente.

Serves 2.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

It is impossible to reason someone out of something that he did not reason himself into in the first place. - Jonathan Swift

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2007, 04:59:56 pm »
Guys, Khalee made this today, and I tell ya, IT was damn good.

Sopapilla Cheese cake

2 8oz pk cream cheese soft
3/4 cup sugar
1T vanilla
2 cans crescent rolls
Topping
3/4 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1 T cinnamon

Pre heat oven 350 degreese

Spread 1 can rolls on bottom. Beat together cream cheese,sugar,vanilla, spread over rolls.
spread other can on top. melt butter,sugar,cinnamon and stir well untill blended, pour over topof rolls. Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes untill brown.

Stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2007, 08:17:36 pm »
Rum Balls

1/2 pound vanilla wafers crushed
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp Cocoa
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup rum
icing sugar or chocolate shot

Roll wafer into very fine crumbs.  Mix with 1 cup icing sugar and cocoa add chopped nuts, syrup and rum. Stir until blended and stiff. Shape into balls 1 inch size. Let stand 1 hour.  Roll in icing sugar or chocolate shot.  You may put a 1/2 pecan on top to decorate if desired.  Store in tightly sealed container for 3 days before serving.  Makes 5 dozen.

p.s.  when shaping balls coat hands with icing sugar.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2007, 08:22:04 pm »
Fudge

2/3 cup can evaporated milk
1 2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
2 cups small marshmallows
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips ( or any flavour you
like...butterscotch is really good too)
1/2 cups walnuts (optional)
1 tsp vanilla

Mix first 4 items together.  Boil 5 minutes. Stir constantly.  Remove from heat.  Add marchmallows and chips  return to heat stirring constantly until melted.  Remove from heat and add nuts and vanilla stir until well mixed .  Put in a 8 in pan well buttered cool in fridge.  Cut unto squares and enjoy!
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2009, 12:15:07 pm »
sauteing onions how long do you do it for. Gonna make some fried rice and it says to saute the onions but not for how long. What is the rule of thumb on sauteing stuff like this.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2009, 12:21:17 pm »
sauteing onions how long do you do it for. Gonna make some fried rice and it says to saute the onions but not for how long. What is the rule of thumb on sauteing stuff like this.

put in oil of choice (half olive oil, half butter for me), add onions and cook slowly on low heat.  Time is only a few minutes.  For a sauted onion, they will turn translucent and soften.  Keep heat low so they don't brown and carmelize (flavor will be different, but you can try that also in the receipe you might like the taste)
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2009, 06:30:51 am »
My  Breading
1Enough flour to get a good coating on, Think I used about a cup.
2 I had some plain bread crumb mix left so I used that as well, maybe a half cup.
3 Some all spice, season all,lemon pepper for some kick. I suppose I used a table spoon or two of each
4 A egg wash I used two pulse a little milk.
5dreage your chicken in the egg wash then flour                       

6Heatenough oil to cover about half of your meat, cook on low to mediumfor about 25 minutes, and enjoy.

Now why no exact measurements,Well unless I'm following a recipe from a list or the box I do things by taste, of course I couldn't with this but it turned out pretty good.
And why chicken It's what I had thawed out at the time. :)

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2009, 06:47:07 am »
My  Breading
1Enough flour to get a good coating on, Think I used about a cup.
2 I had some plain bread crumb mix left so I used that as well, maybe a half cup.
3 Some all spice, season all,lemon pepper for some kick. I suppose I used a table spoon or two of each
4 A egg wash I used two pulse a little milk.
5dreage your chicken in the egg wash then flour                       

6Heatenough oil to cover about half of your meat, cook on low to mediumfor about 25 minutes, and enjoy.

Now why no exact measurements,Well unless I'm following a recipe from a list or the box I do things by taste, of course I couldn't with this but it turned out pretty good.
And why chicken It's what I had thawed out at the time. :)

you might want to try a first dip in a mix of just alittle flour and maybe some seasonings before the eggwash.  It helps the next coat stick on better by drying the moisture on the surface, giveing a dry for the next wet to stick to.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2009, 12:25:49 pm »
Hot dog chilli cheese sandwich

Home > GMA > Recipes Home > Hot Dog Chili Cheese Sandwich

Hot Dog Chili Cheese Sandwich
What You Get When You Cross Left Over Hot Dogs and Chili
Font Size   Print Full Page | 3x5 | 4x6E-mailShare this recipe with friendsFacebookRedditTwitterStumbleUponMoresandwich(ABC News)From the kitchen of Jessica Tingler
|
2 Comments
Difficulty: Easy
Cook Time: 1-30 min
What happens when you cross left over hot dogs and chili? You get a hot dog chili sandwich! Jessica Tingler from St. Joseph, Missouri came up with the sandwich when that is all she could find in the fridge one day.

Do you think you make the best sandwich in the country? Click here to tell us how you do it.

Ingredients
bread (2 to 4 pieces, depending on how big you want your sandwich)
butter
chili
hot dogs
cheese
onions
chili dog toppings

Cooking Directions
Take two or four pieces of bread (depends on how big you want your sandwich) and butter the outsides. I use a griddle to cook these and place one of the pieces of bread on the griddle. I use left over chilli and cut up a few hotdogs. You can put cheese, onions, or any other chilli dog toppings on that you wish. Grill it on the griddle as you would a grilled cheese and then enjoy.

Every time we get ready to have chilli dogs now my boyfriend asks for a chilli dog sandwich instead. You can serve it however you want we eat ours with chips or french fries .

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2009, 12:36:28 pm »
Variation on the above recipe the hot dog taco cheese sandwhich

Make up a batch of taco meat I used a pound of meat follow direction on package.
 slice or not your choice on the hotdogs heated up or not again your choice.
hotdog buns .

now make it like a chili dog but using the taco meat instead, I also added onions to mine, and put taco sauce over it or whatever you like sauce wise and enjoy. It actually tasted pretty good to me.

Oh refrigerate or freeze any leftovers.

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2009, 09:42:25 pm »
Need help with your basic baked beans.

Right know I got a pot of beans going but kinda tired of the same ol same ol.

I put some onion in it ,paprika and chillie powder not too sure of what else to put in it tho, I do have some bratwurst and some kilbasa may try the brats, I'm just kinda stuck in a rutt when it comes to baked beans.

So gimmy some ideas.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2009, 11:58:12 pm »
more onion, always need more onion.

Brats would be good with them. maybe a touch of BBQ sauce cooking with it to give it that extra umf.

Stephen

Ravok

« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2009, 01:29:55 am »
 What kinda beans are you trying to make??

Offline Grand Master of Shadows NCC37385

• Captain
  • 107th Confederate Militia! Sic Semper Tyrannis
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2009, 06:25:50 pm »
Need help with your basic baked beans.

Right know I got a pot of beans going but kinda tired of the same ol same ol.

I put some onion in it ,paprika and chillie powder not too sure of what else to put in it tho, I do have some bratwurst and some kilbasa may try the brats, I'm just kinda stuck in a rutt when it comes to baked beans.

So gimmy some ideas.

Bacon, brown sugar, onion, and green peppers.

I'm God's gift to women!

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.-Robert A. Heinlein

Help control the idiot population. Have your liberal spayed or neutered!