Topic: THE RECIPE THREAD  (Read 86597 times)

Ravok

Re: THE RECIPE THREAD
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2009, 07:45:16 pm »
Need help with your basic baked beans.

Right know I got a pot of beans going but kinda tired of the same ol same ol.

I put some onion in it ,paprika and chillie powder not too sure of what else to put in it tho, I do have some bratwurst and some kilbasa may try the brats, I'm just kinda stuck in a rutt when it comes to baked beans.

So gimmy some ideas.

Bacon, brown sugar, onion, and green peppers.

Try adding a little molasses as well.

Offline Grand Master of Shadows NCC37385

• Captain
  • 107th Confederate Militia! Sic Semper Tyrannis
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2009, 01:38:44 am »
Need help with your basic baked beans.

Right know I got a pot of beans going but kinda tired of the same ol same ol.

I put some onion in it ,paprika and chillie powder not too sure of what else to put in it tho, I do have some bratwurst and some kilbasa may try the brats, I'm just kinda stuck in a rutt when it comes to baked beans.

So gimmy some ideas.

Bacon, brown sugar, onion, and green peppers.

Try adding a little molasses as well.

Molasses can be substituted for brown sugar. Thats basically what brown sugar is. Molasses that has been crystalized.

I'm God's gift to women!

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.-Robert A. Heinlein

Help control the idiot population. Have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2009, 12:18:10 pm »
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2009, 01:25:45 am »
Link to Open Cola Recipe

I am going to make this sometime.  But the oils cost about $200 (you will make alot of soda for that tho) Some are really expensive, most aren't.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2009, 06:02:35 am »
 how do you Cook chillies. trying out a new dish and it has a packet of 5 little red dried chillies in it.

How hot are those things and how do you cook them directions really don't say.

Offline Enigma

• Kung-Fu Fight Club
  • Ensign
  • Star-TrekFan News Reporter
    • Star-TrekFan
« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2010, 04:46:12 pm »
Its not a food recipe but an after dinner drink! You may have seen this one before out there but what the heck bottoms-up!

Real Romulan Ale recipe:
Scale ingredients to 1 equal parts serving, chill for a couple hours in the deep freeze.

375 ml Bacardi® 151 rum
375 ml Everclear® alcohol
375 ml Blue Curacao liqueur

If you want to live long and proper, don't be a Romulan! j/k lol

PS: Roast your chillies!

Member of the Kung-fu fight club

Offline brentl

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2011, 09:03:50 pm »
Has anyone tried Pad Thai? It is an oriental dish from Thailand which uses a lot of seasoning, which they claim to be healthy. All I could figure out from the taste would be fish sauce, chili garlic, soy sauce and some herbs I have no idea of. Anyone knows the other components of it? I have tried scavenging over the internet but had no luck about it.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2011, 09:52:25 am »
Never heard of it, though I'm not well versed in Thai cuisine. - Welcome, btw. I see you're new here ^_^
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
To Serve Man
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2011, 11:15:28 am »
How to prepare a human steak
http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,511775,00.html
I sauteed the steak of Bernd, with salt, pepper, garlic and nutmeg. I had it with Princess croquettes, Brussels sprouts and a green pepper sauce,

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2011, 02:53:00 pm »
try this one as a base.  could change out the tofu for a meat probably.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pad-thai-recipe/index.html
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2012, 06:22:52 pm »
A neat recipe I picked up in Nashville at the Christian Music Summit....

Squash and Apple Harvest Soup

1 Butternut squash or acorn squash, peeled and cubed
2 Tbl olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, diced
1 large Granny Smith apple
2 tsp fresh ginger
4 cloves of garlic
1 15 oz can garbanzo/chick beans
1 tsp dreid thyme
1/2 tsp dried sage
3 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water
2 cups apple juice
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place squash on baking sheet, drizzle with 1 Tbl olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast for 30 minutes or until soft.  Add rest of oil to a pot over medium heat.
Saute onion and apple for about 5 minutes.  Add ginger and garlic and saute for an additional minute.
Add beans, squash, thyme and sage.  Cover with broth and apple juice and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, reduce heat, cover and cook until vegetables are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
Blend soup...serve hot

Mike
Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2012, 07:45:29 pm »
That looks interesting, wish I'd had it back when trying to find something to do with the Butternut squash I had.

Here's a dessert "I invented", in quotations because everyone thinks of everything before I do so it has to already be out there, based on a no-bake peanut butter pie recipe.

1 Eight-ounce package of cream cheese
1 & 1/2 cups of  confectioner's sugar
2 (6 or 8 ounce) Yogurt cups any flavor
1 16-ounce package of frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 9-inch prepared graham cracker crusts

Beat together cream cheese and sugar. Mix in yogurt. Beat until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spoon into crusts. Cover and freeze until firm.

I tend to split this in half and make two pies of different flavors.

For the PBP replace the yogurt with 1 cup of peanut butter and 1 cup of milk, replace "Mix in yogurt" with "Mix in PB and milk"

Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Ravok

« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2012, 09:51:54 pm »
 Thanks Mike !! That looks really good !! :)

Offline Capt. Mike

• Captain
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2012, 06:29:23 am »
Some Christmas cheer.....

Eggnog Bars

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup sugar
 1 cup all-purpose flour
 5 egg yolks
 1/4 cup sugar
 1 1/4 cups whipping cream
 1 tbsp rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract
 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line bottom and sides of 9-inch square pan with foil, leaving 1 inch of foil overhanging at 2 opposite sides of pan. In small bowl, stir together butter, 1/2 cup sugar and the flour. Press in bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of foil-lined pan. Bake 20 minutes.

2. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F. In small bowl, beat egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar with electric mixer on medium-high speed until thick. Gradually beat in cream, rum and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Pour over baked layer.

3. Bake 40 to 50 minutes at 300°F until custard is set and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

4. Sprinkle tops of bars evenly with 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg. Using foil handles, lift cooled bars from pan to cutting board; remove foil from sides of bars. With sharp knife, cut into 6 rows by 6 rows. Cover; store in refrigerator.

Mike

it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul

Ravok

« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2012, 11:06:47 pm »
 BTW Mike that soup recipe is outstanding !! My family, and everybody we have served it to,loves it. :)

Thanks again !!

Offline Capt. Mike

• Captain
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2013, 09:53:22 pm »

BLT Dip

Ingredients:
 1-1/2 pound bacon, cooked, drained, crumbled, and divided
 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
 1/2 cup sour cream
 1/4 cup mayonnaise
 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded) or to taste
 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
 1 tablespoons mustard
 2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
 1-1/2 cup shredded Iceberg lettuce
 pepper an salt to taste

Toasted bread rounds, crackers, or pita chips.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350˚. Spray a 11⁄2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

Set aside 3/4 cup crumbled bacon.

In a large bowl, combine remaining bacon, cream cheese, shredded cheeses, sour cream, mayonnaise, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and mustard. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle chopped tomatoes, remaining 3/4 cup crumbled bacon, and Iceberg lettuce over hot dip. Serve immediately with toasted bread rounds, crackers, or pita chips.

it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

--Les Paul

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2013, 04:42:45 pm »
Oh my, that sounds damn good Mike. I'll have to try it next week.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2014, 10:22:26 am »
Courtesy of National Geographic
http://theplate.nationalgeographic.com/2014/07/01/3-recipes-that-could-help-end-world-hunger/

Orthopteran Orzo

Orzo, a rice-shaped pasta, gets its name from the Italian word for barley, but we all know that orzo looks exactly like juvenile bugs. Needless to say, it’s a perfect complement for crickets, especially three- or four-week-old nymphs, which are of a comparable size. At this stage in life the young crickets lack wings and ovipositors, the chitinous tubes through which the adult females pass their eggs. Their limbs are skinny, so there’s no need to remove them before cooking. Likewise for the antennae, which, at less than a quarter of an inch, should pose no obstacle to enjoying this meal.

3 cups vegetable broth
1 cup orzo
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 cup frozen two- or three-week-old cricket nymphs, thawed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1. Bring the broth to a boil, then stir in the orzo.

2. Continue boiling the orzo until it is tender, about 10 minutes; drain any extra liquid, then quickly add the carrot and red and green peppers. Mix evenly and set aside.

3. In a separate skillet, melt the butter and add the garlic, onion, and crickets. Sauté briefly until the onions are translucent and the garlic and crickets have browned.

4. Combine the cricket mixture, including any liquid, with the orzo and vegetables, top with the parsley, and serve.

Yield: 6 servings

Scorpion Scaloppini

2 cups low-fat milk
8 frozen desert hairy scorpions or a similar species, thawed, venom gland removed
1 cup white cornmeal
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1. Pour the milk into a medium bowl. Add the scorpions to the bowl and set aside while preparing the rest of the ingredients. Spread the cornmeal on a plate and set aside.

2. In a large skillet, melt the butter over high heat. Working with one scorpion at a time, remove it from the milk, allowing the excess to drain off. Dredge the scorpions through the cornmeal, shaking off any excess.

3. Place the scorpions in the hot butter and cook until they are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Then turn the scorpions over and cook until done, about 1 minute more.

4. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with lemon juice and chopped parsley and serve.

Yield: 6 servings

White Chocolate Wax Worm Cookies

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 cups white chocolate chunks or morsels
3/4 cup (about 375) frozen wax worms, thawed

Wax Worm Cookies

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.

2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, brown and granulated sugars, and vanilla extract until creamy.

3. Stir the egg into the butter mixture, then gradually beat in the flour mixture. Stir in the white chocolate chunks and half of the wax worms, reserving the rest for garnishing the cookies.

4. Drop the batter by rounded teaspoonfuls onto nonstick baking sheets.

5. Gently press 2 or 3 of the remaining wax worms into the top of each cookie.

6. Bake until the edges of each cookie are lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes.

7. Let cookies cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack

Yield: about 3 dozen cookies

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2015, 10:17:30 am »
Since President Obama, Jeb Bush, and Will Wheaton have all seen fit to weigh in on this recipe, I feel it would be remiss not to post the infamous NY Times pea guacamole recipe here.
INGREDIENTS
½ pound fresh sweet peas, shucked (about 1/2 to 2/3 cup peas)
2 small jalapeños
2 tablespoons packed cilantro leaves, chopped, more for garnish
¾ teaspoon salt, more as needed
3 small ripe avocados, mashed
2 scallions, whites only, sliced as thin as possible (about 1/4 cup)
 Zest of 1 lime
 Juice of 1 lime, more as needed
1 tablespoon toasted sunflower seeds
 Flaky sea salt, for serving
 Tortilla chips, for serving
 Lime wedges, for serving
PREPARATION
Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil and prepare a bowl with water and ice. Plunge peas into the boiling water and cook until al dente, about 1 minute. Drain peas and immediately transfer to the ice bath. Drain.
Heat broiler to high and broil one of the jalapeños on a heatproof pan. Cook, turning occasionally, until jalapeño is completely charred. Transfer to a small bowl, cover tightly in plastic wrap and let sit for 15 minutes. When cool enough to handle, use a towel to wipe off the charred skin. Halve, seed and devein the roasted jalapeño. Then halve, seed, and mince the remaining raw jalapeño.
In a blender or the bowl of a food processor, purée peas (reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish) with roasted jalapeño, minced raw jalapeño, cilantro and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Process until almost smooth but still a little chunky.
In a medium bowl, combine mashed avocado, scallions, lime zest, lime juice, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pea purée. Adjust salt and lime juice as needed and garnish with fresh peas, sunflower seeds and flaky sea salt. Serve with tortilla chips and lime wedges.