Topic: Opinions: Do we really need ANOTHER TOS Constitution?  (Read 9368 times)

Offline TheStressPuppy

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • trekmods.com
Opinions: Do we really need ANOTHER TOS Constitution?
« on: October 11, 2004, 10:46:53 pm »
Yea Yea I know we got so many great connie models from Anduril, Lord Schtupp, Atrahasis, Moonraker etc, and 2 of my own versions. Where im going with this is that i decided to build a version 3 of my TOS connie. While most people say theres nothing wrong with version 2, there are 4 reasons why i want to do this. 1) both the version 1 and 2 of my models (the smithsonian, and "canon" connie) are far from accurate IMO. What i get for "eyeball measuring" insted of using the alan sinclair blueprints i suppose  :o  2) The textures on those 2 models arent exactly mine, they are bash's of someone else's.  3) I belive my modelling skills have improved enough to build a ship equal in quality, and accuracy to Lord Schtupp's, and Anduril's at 1/3rd to half the poly's. Thier ships average over 6000+, I set my poly limit at 4000+/- a few hundred. 4th and most important,  Because i want to do it :D   The big question is... Will you guys want it when its done?

Offline Arcanum

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Opinions: Do we really need ANOTHER TOS Constitution?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 11:05:28 pm »
Options=good

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 11:13:20 pm »
IMHO I say go for it........... Why?
1) You want to
2) It's why we're all here ( I mean the love of the game and modelling )
3) There's always room for more accurate Connie's
I'd find room for it my collection.
 ;D :thumbsup:
-MP

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline -LB-

• Death was only my Beginning.
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Lord Bile
    • Dark Realm Studios
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 11:23:16 pm »
Dont model for everyone else, model for yourself first, push yourself, challenge yourself to make it the best you have ever done, then, if and or when you are satisified with it, THEN share it with everyone else :)

Some things are destined for change...

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 11:48:27 pm »
There is a reason I have collected each and every TOS Connie design. Yours will be no exception. ;) Go for it!

Offline Rhaz

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 11:49:18 pm »
Go for it!

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 04:45:57 am »
I'll jump on the band wagon and say do it....  ;D

I love it when I can compare shiptyeps made by two different moddelers... It means I can look at both of the strong points in their work and progress myself..

so do it... cant wait to see the outcome! ;D

Offline Kaenyne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 08:35:11 am »
Like a broken record...like a broken record...

There is NO such thing as too many Connies.

"If I may be so bold, it was a mistake for you to accept promotion. Commanding a Starship is your first, best destiny. Anything else is a waste of material."

-Spock
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Offline Wolfsglen

• Starship Mutilator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 08:46:25 am »
I say why not? Variety is always a good thing, and every modeller does something a bit different to leave a mark, so go for it  :thumbsup:

Offline pneumonic81

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 10:36:08 am »
indeed do it. it seems to me you really want to do it. you have found some things you want to try, some things you want to do better. defintly it shoudl be done if you feel strongly about it

and if you dont do it you will wish u did. beleive me.
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."
Colossians 3:23

Offline KBF-Kurok

• Lt.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 10:39:48 am »
can always use another kickazzz connie to blow up.Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline USS Mariner

• Heavy Cruiser, NCC-1712
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 04:31:23 pm »
Yea Yea I know we got so many great connie models from Anduril, Lord Schtupp, Atrahasis, Moonraker etc, and 2 of my own versions. Where im going with this is that i decided to build a version 3 of my TOS connie. While most people say theres nothing wrong with version 2, there are 4 reasons why i want to do this. 1) both the version 1 and 2 of my models (the smithsonian, and "canon" connie) are far from accurate IMO. What i get for "eyeball measuring" insted of using the alan sinclair blueprints i suppose  :o  2) The textures on those 2 models arent exactly mine, they are bash's of someone else's.  3) I belive my modelling skills have improved enough to build a ship equal in quality, and accuracy to Lord Schtupp's, and Anduril's at 1/3rd to half the poly's. Thier ships average over 6000+, I set my poly limit at 4000+/- a few hundred. 4th and most important,  Because i want to do it :D   The big question is... Will you guys want it when its done?

Aren't the Casimiro ones more accurate? I always thought the shapes of the bottom saucer was off a bit (it almost looks like the bottom bulge of the three-footer model) than and the back of neck looked a little off... Please explain if you can.

Sometimes I really wish we could get a hold of Art Asylum and have them scan the 11 footer so they could make a toy of it (like they do with their mini-figures). THEN we'd have an accurate Connie. ;)
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan

Steam: Mariner1712

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 04:38:53 pm »
No question.

Except... what's wrong with refining a good thing?  Go for it!

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 06:19:42 pm »
Go for it, since you want to do it, but just one think don't call it enterprise, there a good 13 constitution ship commission so tthat give you 12 names to chose for :), its bether to have other name for variation of the ship (improvment like the CA+, CAR, CC,  CB), anyway its your choise :)

Offline TheStressPuppy

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • trekmods.com
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 06:33:18 pm »
The New version im making I am using Alan Sinclairs cad drawings and measurements for my reference. He supposedly has taken these measurements directly off the 11 footer at the smithsonian. I also have tons of photos of the studio model post 2000 restoration to use if the blueprints aint right. The lower saucer bulge is correct on the drawings also the lower saucer has no flat area near the edge that i can see anywhere. its a smooth curve all the way to the edge. Least on the studio model it seems that way. and the blueprints sorta back it up.

Some WIP's The colored areas represent whats new on the model. the grey is whats left of version 2

I know polys are showing in some areas. im not finished optimizing or re-smoothing. My goal is a low poly ship that is almost the same quality of a high. Some of the low poly flaws more than likely wont show after its textured. This version is my "great experiment" in optimization. . The old version 2 nacelle had a poly count of 1200. The new nacelle has twice the detail of the old one and is 800 polys :D The secondary hull of the older ship was over 1400, Version 3's is sporting 950 at the moment with more work yet to do.
Don i intended to put 1700 markings on her im also making blanks so you can make yer own names
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 06:54:59 pm by TheStressPuppy »

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 06:43:01 pm »
Keep it up bud... looks gr8 so far.....  ;)

Offline -LB-

• Death was only my Beginning.
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Lord Bile
    • Dark Realm Studios
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 10:20:07 pm »
Go for it, since you want to do it, but just one think don't call it enterprise, there a good 13 constitution ship commission so tthat give you 12 names to chose for :), its bether to have other name for variation of the ship (improvment like the CA+, CAR, CC,  CB), anyway its your choise :)

I couldnt agree with this statement more. I made a Connie afterall, and I called it the Lexington NCC 1709, because I felt we didnt really need anymore Enterprises! But the more Connies we have the better for some cool Fleet wallpapers and game battles, and no 2 ships having the same name always rocks!

Some things are destined for change...

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 04:22:56 am »
Beautiful work done on this Connie.  Personally, variety is the spice of life.  Everyone has preferences, so you'll be giving people another choice, which is always good. 

Also, when this model is done, which version of the game will it be for?  Maybe an SFC3 version? 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2004, 04:55:16 am »
i remember something from the old forum, some one was making a constitution class tmp and there was a blue print under/around it to show the progress but i don't rember who was making it, anyone remember that??.

Offline TheStressPuppy

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • trekmods.com
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2004, 05:10:13 am »
Maybe P81 im not sure. He is redoing his TMP connie at the moment.

Progress:  At this time the count stands at 3773 with more optimizing left to do, and some minor details left. Im  considering adding another cap segment to the lower saucer cause the curve near the edge doesnt quite look like it should, but it will push the count over my self imposed limit of 4k. whatcha think.. Oh, i am gonna add all the christmas bulbs in  like i did with version 2 ;)

heres latest pics. the saucer is gray cause i took the texture out. theres nothing left of the version 2 model on here