Poll

Would you like to see "hidden" mine placement?

Yes, remove the rings.
No, but smaller darker rings might be nice.
No, I like them highlighted.
No, I like them stock.

Topic: "Hidden" Mine Placement?  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
"Hidden" Mine Placement?
« on: October 25, 2004, 02:52:58 am »
Playing SFB-OP again, I'm looking at the details (found an off-axis explosion texture...), anyway it occured to me I could hide the mines... what do you think?

If we do get the source, it occurs to me it might be good to add textures to the validated client files for such features.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
Re: "Hidden" Mine Placement?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 03:37:35 am »
The minelayer would see them and allies, but everyone else, neutral and enemy would not?

Offline deadmansix

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 03:44:08 am »
Playing SFB-OP again, I'm looking at the details (found an off-axis explosion texture...), anyway it occured to me I could hide the mines... what do you think?

If we do get the source, it occurs to me it might be good to add textures to the validated client files for such features.

this is what I think, if you want to start using mine fields then yes hide them to all except allied races and then only use them around bases as part of there protection but even then there was away to detect them it was small but there was a chance.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 03:58:49 am »
The minelayer would see them and allies, but everyone else, neutral and enemy would not?

Nope, everyone would still see the little model and hear the sound (and see the transsporter for t-bombs appropriately), I just propose removing the colored rings that highlight the mines. Thus the quotes around "hidden".  Nobody would see the rings, you'd have to be mindful of where you left mines. They will be difficult to detect in a busy battle like you'll find on SFB-OP.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 04:00:31 am »

this is what I think, if you want to start using mine fields then yes hide them to all except allied races and then only use them around bases as part of there protection but even then there was away to detect them it was small but there was a chance.

Cant really do minefeilds proper because mines expire in OP... if we get the source... ;). As I stated above I just propose to remove the rings that highlight mines.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 04:11:13 am by Bonk »

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 04:24:27 am »
Well, I can use a different model for the mine to help it show up better if the rings are gone. So it matters little to me, but what about black rings? They'd be harder to detect, but you could still see them. But cant I just go into the textures folder ands change the color myself? If so, then whats the point?

Its probably safer to stick with stock mines. But I'd like to see temporal mines... and power absorber mines... ;)

Oh, aand what about the shift-M for nuclear mine? If Andromedan, couldnt you use shift+M for a power absorber mine? But you'd need to transport it... Not just drop it out the back.

What about Alt+M or ctrl+M. Could that be hardcoded so we could use different type mines? What all types are there?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 09:06:45 am »
Well, I can use a different model for the mine to help it show up better if the rings are gone. So it matters little to me, but what about black rings? They'd be harder to detect, but you could still see them. But cant I just go into the textures folder ands change the color myself? If so, then whats the point?

Its probably safer to stick with stock mines. But I'd like to see temporal mines... and power absorber mines... ;)

Oh, aand what about the shift-M for nuclear mine? If Andromedan, couldnt you use shift+M for a power absorber mine? But you'd need to transport it... Not just drop it out the back.

What about Alt+M or ctrl+M. Could that be hardcoded so we could use different type mines? What all types are there?

What's the model for it? I could not find one...

As I suggested, down the road, textures would have to be added to the validated client files for such features.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 02:25:40 pm »
Might need the Code for this, but Dropped mines should be hidden, those deployed by transporter should be seen.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

el-Karnak

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 04:07:54 pm »
Hide the mines or make the rings pink. :D

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 05:37:25 pm »

Hmmmm........

Hide the mines.  Put the mine models in the Scripts folder in your shiplist folder, and then put them in the Validated Client folder on the server.  People  will *have* to use your hidden mine textures, or they won't be able to log on.    muahahahahahahaha! ;D

Seriously, I'd like to play with hidden mines.  It could be cool, especially when you are closing in on that WE that has surruptitiously dropped that hidden NSM.....

DH's statements about dropped mines being secret in SFB, while transporter bombs are secret, but your scheme would be in line with this.  Dropped mines would be hard to see (like suicide shuttles now) while transporter bombs would have the transporter effect to announce their placement.

Good luck keeping up with where they all are.  ;)

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline Green

• I'm not a
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 06:16:25 pm »
Wouldn't the mines still show in the F11 HUD?  Everything else does.

(voted to keep them visible)

Offline Vorcha

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 07:09:03 pm »
Heck ya...if there is a way..they should be hidden.  Sounds like a lot of fun.

V

Offline SSCF-LeRoy

• Kim's Clubhouse Painter
  • Lt.
  • Captain
    • SSCF.net
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 09:12:57 am »
Wouldn't the mines still show in the F11 HUD?  Everything else does.

(voted to keep them visible)

Yep, they do. Every mine is denoted by a range indicator on the F11 HUD so it would still be possible to navigate around mines, although it would be more tricky without the visual reference of the proximity rings.

BTW, to make the mines truly invisible, how about using the dummy.mod that resides in the root models directory in place of the xmn.mod and make the proximity rings black?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 10:38:27 am »
BTW, to make the mines truly invisible, how about using the dummy.mod that resides in the root models directory in place of the xmn.mod and make the proximity rings black?

Thats what I'm after thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Sethan

• Justiciar
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2004, 10:44:32 am »
I like the idea of hidden mines - but it sure would be nice if the person who placed them and their allies could see the rings.

As to minefields being a non-starter due to mines expiring - once we have access to the code, they don't have to expire.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. --Aristotle

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
    • http://klingon.lostexiles.net/
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2004, 09:25:27 am »
I have 2 problems with the hidden mines idea:

1- The AI certainly won't be affected by it.
2- tbombed mines should be visible.

So perhaps that should be put into consideration as well? Until a proper implementation *may* be completed, I believe we should go with stock.

Author: OP+ Mod
Maintainer: Coopace
Author: Fests+ for OP
Creator: SFC-OP Mini Updater
Maintainer: SFC-EAW for OP Campaigns
Kitbash: SFC2 models

el-Karnak

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2004, 09:35:24 am »
Leave the stock mines as-is.  Setup a shiplist entry to use an hidden mine model. Then the mission script could map out an hidden minefield.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2004, 11:04:14 am »
There's too many fubars in trying to do this, right now. I'd love to see (sic) hidden mines in SFC. You should know where "friendly" mines are. You should be able to see where the transported mines are. F11 messes up hiding them. The AI should be under the same limits as the players.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?