Topic: wanted: fed battle pod  (Read 12667 times)

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
    • http://klingon.lostexiles.net/
wanted: fed battle pod
« on: November 08, 2004, 12:04:16 am »
Hey,

I'm wondering if anyone here ever made an appropriate Federation battlepod? It has to be good for TOS and compatible to Lord Schtupp's Tug. It's a double-weight pod so it must have some mass to it. In fact, it kinda has its own 'bridge' and even has impulse engines.

.. Any suggestions?

Author: OP+ Mod
Maintainer: Coopace
Author: Fests+ for OP
Creator: SFC-OP Mini Updater
Maintainer: SFC-EAW for OP Campaigns
Kitbash: SFC2 models

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: wanted: fed battle pod
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 12:19:27 am »
Could you post up a SCS?
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 12:26:42 am »

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 01:29:54 am »
What does it look like?

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 01:44:25 am »
What does it look like?

That's... part of the problem.
I don't really know. The SSDs have never been rich on descriptive details..

But it has 6 photons, a few phasers, 360.. and a couple of impulses in the back. It must, of course fit on the tug I mentioned above but it's a double weight pod, so I can't just make the pod 2x the size since that'll screw up the hookup.

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Keep your Sword sharp...
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • ...and your intention true.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 02:47:17 am »
Yep - I always wanted to build a cool battle pod and CV pod for the tug. Would you believe its on the to do list lol ::)

Physically it would be smaller but denser therefore having the same mass as a cargo pod or two (?)

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 05:13:37 am »
Well I rushed this mesh just now but this is what I kinda had in mind: it turned into an size 1 8-bay CV pod. Not a really battlepod but still useful, hmm? Needs lot more details, Ill have to dig out SFB to look at the SSD, its buried in a closet somewhere. I cant recall the weaponry for a battlepod, but i think its 4 360 phaser1s in 2 banks and six photons.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 07:32:05 am »
I like it!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 07:48:32 am »
oh yeah thats right, SFB calls a SCS an SSD....jeez...youd think that game-makers could standardize that kinda thing.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 09:04:56 am »
Well I rushed this mesh just now but this is what I kinda had in mind: it turned into an size 1 8-bay CV pod. Not a really battlepod but still useful, hmm? Needs lot more details, Ill have to dig out SFB to look at the SSD, its buried in a closet somewhere. I cant recall the weaponry for a battlepod, but i think its 4 360 phaser1s in 2 banks and six photons.

You rushed this? This pod is very impressive.  :notworthy:

Offline FPF-SCM_TraceyG_XC

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 09:46:30 am »
Very nicely designed indeed  :thumbsup:
Captain FPF-TraceyG, Federation Protection Fleet

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA
Member of XenoCorp, Squadron Commodore

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 11:24:50 am »
Guh. Don't stop now.. you're doing far better than I ever will for this pod.

PS: Be sure the photons don't fire into the Tug's deflector dish! :)

Offline Rhaz

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 11:42:40 am »
LS - that is very cool!  I hope you have time to finish it!

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 12:32:24 pm »
Yea lets see if I can finish something for a change  ::) I 'm terrible i kno.

Its inspired by the TMP photon torpedo case that you see in ST3. I already knew that this was the basic shape ever since the tug was built, so it went rather quickly, this is about 2 hours work. I didnt do my usual "move one vertex then look at it from all angles for an hour" bit.  ;D

The torps will be at the bottom so they will clear just fine, i split the flag bridge recess so it looks aroung the tug's dish support strut. the side hanger doors are 12 meters by 8 meters, so it will house a pretty big attack shuttle.

This falls short of the Battlepod tho, really need to see some SSDs and do some pod discussion. This isnt a 6-torp pod i dont think. Is this about the physical size that the traditional SFB battlepod would be?
What do you guys think?

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2004, 01:22:25 pm »
Yea lets see if I can finish something for a change  ::) I 'm terrible i kno.

Its inspired by the TMP photon torpedo case that you see in ST3. I already knew that this was the basic shape ever since the tug was built, so it went rather quickly, this is about 2 hours work. I didnt do my usual "move one vertex then look at it from all angles for an hour" bit.  ;D

The torps will be at the bottom so they will clear just fine, i split the flag bridge recess so it looks aroung the tug's dish support strut. the side hanger doors are 12 meters by 8 meters, so it will house a pretty big attack shuttle.

This falls short of the Battlepod tho, really need to see some SSDs and do some pod discussion. This isnt a 6-torp pod i dont think. Is this about the physical size that the traditional SFB battlepod would be?
What do you guys think?
You know, this almost looks like a "dropship" type of thing, where the pod could detach, enter an atmospere, land, and perhaps serve as a mobile base or platform. Then take off under it's own power and re-attach.

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2004, 02:27:26 pm »
rofl... that does look awsome!!!  ;)

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2004, 02:57:53 pm »

You know, this almost looks like a "dropship" type of thing, where the pod could detach, enter an atmospere, land, and perhaps serve as a mobile base or platform. Then take off under it's own power and re-attach.

Thats an excellent idea for a Star Fleet marines pod Chystoff. One idea I had for the battlepod was to make recesses for smallish retractable warp nacelles so it can scoot about on its own. I like your landing idea.

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2004, 05:03:32 pm »

Thats an excellent idea for a Star Fleet marines pod Chystoff. One idea I had for the battlepod was to make recesses for smallish retractable warp nacelles so it can scoot about on its own. I like your landing idea.
Ah, retractable nacelles! Now that's a pretty cool idea. With some kind of big Marine insignia on the hull of the pod, to denote division, detachment, ect.

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2004, 05:13:39 pm »
On one of the plans at the ADSB site there is a Marine Corps ship or pod, I cant remember exactly, but it had a real cool insignia that is like the Fed "star" on its side thats been shaped into a stylized falcon head, real slick. Gotta have one of those!

Offline zerosnark

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 06:57:21 pm »
Ok, very VERY good.

Good original idea.

BTW: Was not a very nice carrier pod done recently called the orbiter class or some such?

Offline Mackie

• Puu jok' unhoittaa juurensa, kaatuu.
  • Lt. Commander
  • The tree that forgets its roots, will fall.
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2004, 01:16:10 am »
ah nice, id hit it  :-*
http://www.stupidfusion.com

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2004, 10:40:24 am »
this pod is too good looking. Do you have any recent screenshots?

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2004, 11:35:21 am »
This is really sweet.

Looking ahead... ;D I can picture a dual battle/cv pod as well, please?

I'm really looking forward to getting your new tug/pod, man. Thanks for taking this up for all of us. it's amazing that after all of this time more tugs haven't been made. They're so cool.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2004, 02:50:56 pm »
Can anyone scare up the battletug SSD? Bernard Guinard has sent me a set of Jackills pod diagrams, which has given me a couple ideas. I think that it would be a given that a smaller battlepod as seen here (size 1) would have been built before the classic SFB Battlepod (size 2). IMO a size 2 Battlepod would feature heavy weapons, internal warp reactors, auxilery retractable warp nacelles, and a full 12 bay fighter compliment. a size 2 pod is the mass of two pods after all, thats a lot of mass.

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2004, 05:06:08 pm »
Hi LS
   Check your e-mail I sent you one ;D

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2004, 06:30:19 pm »
BG comes thru yet again, everybody give him a karma point. :)

On the SSD, there are 4 shuttle bays, im gonna make mine 12. Also, if memory serves, It was said in SFB rulebook that the pod was semi permanently attached. This means to me that the tug to be battlized would be in refit for a while. Whats you ppls take on this insofar as the changes to the tug?

Offline FPF-Wanderer

• Order of Battle Wonk
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Trek Nerd Since 1976
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2004, 07:23:43 pm »
 :'( <sniff>  I'm still waiting on the Kitty Hawk and all it's fighters and shuttles you have shown.  I even added it to my personal shiplist (CVC Combat Carrier), and wrote up a "historic" profile...

At any rate, as to the Battle Tug...

(R2.10) BATTLE POD (P-BP):  As tugs cost as much as cruisers to build, competition between the fighting and logistical elements of the fleet for construction funds is fierce.  To partially offset this, battle pods were constructed and held in storage at starbases.  A tug carrying a battle pod (the comination being called a "battle tug" and listed separately on the MSC) is operationally similar to a DN or CA.  Thus, an expensive peacetime transport can be converted in hours to a serviceable warship.  The battle pod weighs twice as much as other pods and counts as "two pods" for purposes of movement cost and turn mode.

Some battle pods were improved to the BP+ configuration by converting their APR to warp reactors (as well as adding a drone rack and two ph-3s), which allowed them to fire their photon torpedoes while separated from the tug and allowed the battle tug a higher speed in combat.

Well, I don't know if any of that helps, as you're actually making a CV pod (which looks fantastic, btw)...
Alliance SAC, SG4 / Alliance SAC, RDSL / Federation A/RM: AOTK, SSII, GW4 / Federation Chief of Staff / Member of the Flying Circus / Alliance Map Guy

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2004, 02:37:08 am »
That is helpful Wanderer, Rod Oneal sent me a couple more SSDs from a SFB captains log book, so I have lots to consider now. One SSD was a Battle/CV pod just like I talked about above, so thats the direction Im going in. As for the Kittyhawk, well, umm - Boy a year sure goes by fast dont it though? lol ;D :) ;) ::) :P :-* :'( 8) :( >:(

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2004, 02:46:08 am »
On one of the plans at the ADSB site there is a Marine Corps ship or pod, I cant remember exactly, but it had a real cool insignia that is like the Fed "star" on its side thats been shaped into a stylized falcon head, real slick. Gotta have one of those!

Here's the link..............
http://www.asdb.net/asdb/docs/projects/SFR.pdf
I looked at all the lists and I believe the ship you want is in this one.Hope it helps.
-MP

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2004, 03:11:00 am »
Not seeing it in the PDF you linked to MP but thats ok. I think was in the museum page somewhere.

Ok bad news is that mesh is gonna be trashed, not good enough. Good news is that I got a much cooler one started. This entails integrated warp nacelles that will allow the tug to use the warp energy created for propulsion as well as power, just like a third engine. Of course if your a purest, you can opt not to use this feature but I promise it will be very cool looking.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2004, 10:31:15 am »
Not seeing it in the PDF you linked to MP but thats ok. I think was in the museum page somewhere.

Ok bad news is that mesh is gonna be trashed, not good enough. Good news is that I got a much cooler one started. This entails integrated warp nacelles that will allow the tug to use the warp energy created for propulsion as well as power, just like a third engine. Of course if your a purest, you can opt not to use this feature but I promise it will be very cool looking.

You say that a whole new model is the bad news? ;D I love that kinda bad news. 8) :thumbsup:

If you took the purest approach on the CV/Battle combo it'd be butt ugly. Artistic license is definately in order, IMO. Rock-on, man.

Offline USS Mariner

• Heavy Cruiser, NCC-1712
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2004, 02:12:40 pm »
Masao once made a Pyotr Velikiy Marine Tug with the "Eagle's-head star" your describing LS.

http://www.starfleet-museum.org/pv-tug.jpg

I hope that helps some. :)
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan

Steam: Mariner1712

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2004, 03:30:48 pm »
Yessir thats the one...

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2004, 08:48:50 pm »
Dunno if anyone is interested.. but I did this up while I was converting over the Lewis Class and Orbiter for Mackie..

Suitable for any TOS tug or by itself... :)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2004, 09:05:15 pm »
I actually use that as my CV tug pod, Alec.
Robinomicon

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2004, 02:59:34 am »
Obviously needs a few more details but this pod is guaranteed to satisfy. Battle/CV pod, with warp assist to the tug, will give dreadnought speed and power on short notice just in case those pesky Romulans come to visit unannounced.

Offline FPF-Wanderer

• Order of Battle Wonk
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Trek Nerd Since 1976
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2004, 04:49:05 am »
Dunno if anyone is interested.. but I did this up while I was converting over the Lewis Class and Orbiter for Mackie..

Suitable for any TOS tug or by itself... :)

I think that looks great, Atheorhaven.  Could you throw that on Desty's tug?

And Schtupp, that is shaping up very nicely!
Alliance SAC, SG4 / Alliance SAC, RDSL / Federation A/RM: AOTK, SSII, GW4 / Federation Chief of Staff / Member of the Flying Circus / Alliance Map Guy

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2004, 08:46:07 am »
Obviously needs a few more details but this pod is guaranteed to satisfy. Battle/CV pod, with warp assist to the tug, will give dreadnought speed and power on short notice just in case those pesky Romulans come to visit unannounced.

Very cool. Very, very cool. Very different, too. I think it's awesome.

Offline Rhaz

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2004, 09:39:12 am »
LS - I really like the pod!  The power nodes are well integrated.

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2004, 10:03:50 am »
Question:

Have you kept the previous pod somewhere? It would do a nice light pod (which also does exist)..

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2004, 04:57:05 pm »
LS - I really like the pod! The power nodes are well integrated.

Thank you - BTW, These are the kind of comments I really like to see about any model. When I comment about somebodys model, I try to identify what it is about it that stands out and is original. Agree?

Anyway this should be a formidable ship in its own right, great for Starbase defense in case theres no tug around. Really make sense if the Feds are gonna build something that would be as expensive as a ship, they might as well give it at least nominal warp capability. Im thinking about 3/4 movement cost for the pod itself with 16 total warp power. Combined with 3/4 move for the tug, will give 1 1/2 cost total for the unit as a wholeand allow full speed.

Question:
Have you kept the previous pod somewhere? It would do a nice light pod (which also does exist)..

Well unfortunatly I have only a file one step behind what I posted, I inadvertantly saved over the latest ver1 pod with an early ver2 pod. Doesnt normally happen as I usually keep everything in seperate folders but this one didnt start as a regular project.

I knew that there should be a light or mini pod, would be a worthy little project. Ideal for keeping at base stations. just as the full sized ones would be kept at starbases.

I greatly refined and reduced the poly count today, added sensor dish and phasers, should be textureing it tonight.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 05:07:31 pm by Lord Schtupp »

Offline zerosnark

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2004, 02:44:54 pm »
Just a small comment on this REALLY COOL pod.

Most starships (fed, klink, rom) have warp nacelles physically removed from the main hull. There must be a reason for that. . .yet this ship has the engines integral to the hull.

Note: Yeah, the SFB fed Frigate has close coupled engines, but my take is that is a really bad mistake.

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2004, 11:29:03 am »
I wouldn't worry too much about the engines on the pod, especially since they're supposed to be just impulse engines..

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2004, 12:39:31 pm »
Just a small comment on this REALLY COOL pod.

Most starships (fed, klink, rom) have warp nacelles physically removed from the main hull. There must be a reason for that. . .yet this ship has the engines integral to the hull.

Note: Yeah, the SFB fed Frigate has close coupled engines, but my take is that is a really bad mistake.

Good observation, but remember that this pod is not a regular service cruiser but an auxilery ship (when operating independantly from a tug). Not meant for long voyages or standing patrols but as an "Ace in the Hole" for a Starbase commander. Three reasons of the importance of keeping the warp nacelles apart are 1. safety (Matt Jeffries reason) 2. Manuverabilty, and 3. stability of the warp field at speed. The ratio of nacelle length to centerline distance between nacelles on the connie (the standard by which all others are judged) is 4:3, the pods ratio is 2:1. SO if the distance between nacelles is because of manuverability or warp field stability then the pod is clearly inferior to the connie. If safety is the governing factor then it must be kept moored at a starbase awaiting the emergency it was designed for (kept at the ready, manned by starbase personnel). In all three cases the pods design and mission profile conforms to any or all of the three warp rules above.

The internal warp design has canon precedent in DS9's Defiant. What makes this possible is the the use of the warp core design of matter-antimatter mixing, as opposed to the older intermix shaft configuration of more typical TOS era starships. FORTUNATELY (for me) this battlepod comes equipped with one of the first designs of warp core tech, which allows the warp core to be jettisoned in an emergency instead of the entire warp nacelle(s).

For a more detailed explanation see Jane's Warships of the Galaxy 2268. I'd lend you my copy, but you know how expensive the Jane's books can be - Im sure you understand ZSnark ;D

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2004, 12:46:30 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about the engines on the pod, especially since they're supposed to be just impulse engines..

No theyre warps, but you could consider them warp APRs like in the SSD. I'll post pics tonight of the textured model, almost done. Im at work right now, obviously being very productive. (Very bored is more like it)

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2004, 09:43:04 pm »
:bump:  This was getting a little too far down the page for my comfort zone. :popcorn:

Offline Rhaz

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2004, 09:36:00 pm »
Bump again

Offline FPF-Wanderer

• Order of Battle Wonk
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Trek Nerd Since 1976
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2004, 10:38:19 am »
Bump the III...

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2004, 01:06:12 am »
:bump:
I hope this project doesn't get shelved. It's looking so good.

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2004, 06:40:12 am »
Even a WIP would be welcome..

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2004, 01:38:23 pm »

I wanted a suitable fleet tug that is much more battleworthy and beefier than the standard ptolemy. I think that a well armed tug would become necessary with all this war goin on. The pod mesh is finished, the tug nearly so, soon Ill be working on textures. As you can see Ive already done some to the pod, but Im not sure if Im happy with this yet...

Anyway the tug/pod combo looks tuff enuf I think!

Offline USS Mariner

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2004, 03:04:59 pm »

I wanted a suitable fleet tug that is much more battleworthy and beefier than the standard ptolemy. I think that a well armed tug would become necessary with all this war goin on. The pod mesh is finished, the tug nearly so, soon Ill be working on textures. As you can see Ive already done some to the pod, but Im not sure if Im happy with this yet...

Anyway the tug/pod combo looks tuff enuf I think!

Wow... :o
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2004, 04:39:43 pm »
Thanks for the WIP update. It looks great!!! I'm looking forward to using the finished product in game, man.

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2004, 04:51:21 pm »
i agree can outalance use it for an upcoming mod

Sure :)

One of the problems is deciding which UI to use, but I think Ill use the FCX one. I moved two torps to RA arc on the pod, and the tug will have two FA torps. The SSD has more weapons than I can put into this SFC model, so that has its own problems.

Pod: 4 Phot FA(2HP), 2 Phot RA, 4 Phas1 ALL, 2 Phas1 RX, 2 PhasG RX, 1 DrnG 3, 12 HVY fighters or 24 std ones.

Tug: 2 Phot FA, 2 Phas1 FH, 2Phas1 LS, 2 Phas1 RS, 2 Phas1 RH

Yea that should do it huh lol...

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2004, 10:05:49 am »
That's so overkill.. I mean, there never was something like that in SFB.. and certainly no photons on the CVA pod itself. You sure that's not a bit much?

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2004, 01:28:52 pm »
Uh well just 12 ftrs then. You can make the HPs however you want of course but I have to hardpoint the model with something in mind.

This isnt the CVA pod that I would also like to build, but a purpose built and engineered Schtupp-type BP that stands in contrast to the hastily contrived converted cargopod SFB BP. The Lord Schtupp Brand® Tug is a natural evolution of the Ptolemy with all those Orion Pirates flying Heavy cruisers now in the SFB General War of 185. Put the two together and yea: you're gonna have some firepower.

With the standard tug then firepower will fall in line to what a die-rollin', rule-book-browsin', impulse-chart-movin', grease-pencil-breakin' SFBer would expect from a Fed BT.  :D

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2004, 01:37:25 pm »
well, you know I'm just waiting for you to release the pod so that I can kitbash some pods I want out of it, right? :)

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2004, 01:56:27 pm »
Well sure, what did you have in mind?

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2004, 02:37:39 pm »
Masao once made a Pyotr Velikiy Marine Tug with the "Eagle's-head star" your describing LS.

Speaking of which, Schtupp, I seem to recall you having a WIP of a Pyotr Veliky a long time ago.  You wouldn't by chance be interested in doing more SFM ships?  I'd love to see your take on a Lancaster.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2004, 02:59:31 pm »

Well, appropriate models for OP+ of course..
I do have CVA and CVL pods, but yours are fantastic. The CVA pod is for 24 fighters while the CVL sports 12.

But what I lack are battlepods, both the original heavy and light variants. The heavy pod has 6 photons and is for a standard tug like the Ptelomy. It makes the Ptelomy move like a slug (1.5 move cost, 1 for the pod alone) but it's worth it. The light version shouldn't affect the tug's move cost.

I liked the original design that looked like a torpedo. I could probably reproduce that shape, myself, but I kinda suck for textures.

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2004, 07:18:25 pm »
hmm I think I'll just put some new port-matched hogged out carbs on my Corvair for now.

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2004, 08:17:57 pm »
Quick, somebody alert Ralph Nader!  We must put a stop to this distraction!  ;)
Trekmods SFC/BC/Nexus forum

"Don't forget the original series, or dismiss it as obsolete. You owe it everything."  --Shane Johnson, author of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise

Offline USS Mariner

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2004, 08:54:06 pm »

Speaking of which, Schtupp, I seem to recall you having a WIP of a Pyotr Veliky a long time ago.  You wouldn't by chance be interested in doing more SFM ships?  I'd love to see your take on a Lancaster.

Hey, speaking of SFM ships, I have a few "reworked" (ie more like the "Cage" Conny) wips that could help with a "Schtupped" version, or atleast act as a guidline for an altered version.

http://scn.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/,s,17910131,a,ga,ul,25210380763,ic,Y/ussvalleyforgewip_1.PNG
http://scn.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/,s,17910131,a,ga,ul,25210380763,ic,Y/ussvalleyforgewip_2.PNG

It's a bit farther along and I can produce more shots if you like. :)

Offline zerosnark

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2004, 10:52:12 pm »
)

One of the problems is deciding which UI to use, but I think Ill use the FCX one. I moved two torps to RA arc on the pod, and the tug will have two FA torps. The SSD has more weapons than I can put into this SFC model, so that has its own problems.

Pod: 4 Phot FA(2HP), 2 Phot RA, 4 Phas1 ALL, 2 Phas1 RX, 2 PhasG RX, 1 DrnG 3, 12 HVY fighters or 24 std ones.

Tug: 2 Phot FA, 2 Phas1 FH, 2Phas1 LS, 2 Phas1 RS, 2 Phas1 RH

Yea that should do it huh lol...

WOW! Talk about overgunned! Let's talk about the tug for a moment. . .First, I REALLY like the model you posted. I like the detal on the back of the saucer. But lets talk about the weapons: How does this TUG compare to a Surya type Starship?  The ones I fly have an almost identical weapons suite. And it looks like you have sensors for drones. . . right?

I actually like the concept: Just don't call it a tug. When seperated from a pod, this TUG would certainly have the firepower, *staying power*, and *cost* of  a Starship (light cruiser type). I would expect these ships would be assigned to Starfleet, and not to Transport Command. This class would be a logic followon class to the Surya types.

As for the pod: Yeah, 12 fighters is a bit more reasonable. The rear photons are very "non fed". What about a pair or quad of G-racks?

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2004, 02:26:18 am »
gee - so whut do i do?

you guys arnt buying my rockemsockem tug for your fleets or what?

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2004, 02:58:32 am »

As for the pod: Yeah, 12 fighters is a bit more reasonable. The rear photons are very "non fed". What about a pair or quad of G-racks?

the fed bb's got RA torps, but sure i like a pair of size g-racks as much as the next captain i suppose...

Yea I would only put 12 ftrs in this pod too, I just said 24 cause you kno maybe some fleets have small ftrs. they're exactly 10 meter doors so you could pack two BSG vipers in one bay but only 1 LS-type ftr.

WOW! Talk about overgunned! Let's talk about the tug for a moment. . .First, I REALLY like the model you posted. I like the detal on the back of the saucer. But lets talk about the weapons: How does this TUG compare to a Surya type Starship?  The ones I fly have an almost identical weapons suite. And it looks like you have sensors for drones. . . right?

There seems to be basically 2 different hulls for the Surya, the one i built  which is approx 15-20 meters longer than the other "true 1983 original surya design" so really my surya class isnt a true surya. Im glad I called it the Dauntless... Anyway I would basically consider mine a New Heavy Cruiser, and the true Surya a New Medium Cruiser, which I beleive debuted in SFB Expansion 3.

If Outalance uses this in a mod it would be for SFC3 so i would be able to get it to fire 2 torps out of 1 slot using the right officer so that might help for the ammount of weapons you want on it

Well, appropriate models for OP+ of course..
I do have CVA and CVL pods, but yours are fantastic. The CVA pod is for 24 fighters while the CVL sports 12.

But what I lack are battlepods, both the original heavy and light variants. The heavy pod has 6 photons and is for a standard tug like the Ptelomy. It makes the Ptelomy move like a slug (1.5 move cost, 1 for the pod alone) but it's worth it. The light version shouldn't affect the tug's move cost.

I liked the original design that looked like a torpedo. I could probably reproduce that shape, myself, but I kinda suck for textures.

I really only put those stats out there because thats how the model will be built and I can only have 5 hvys and 8 beam weapon hps too choose from cause the fed UIs suck bad, and also I dont do SFC3 - you guys can make the hps/stats for however you want. I built this pod like this because I was adressing some weak points I htought existed in the original  SFB SSD, of which there are many.  If I built a pod that was speced as the SFB one exactly, then it would be basically the front half of the current pod cause there is no way Im gonna build that "Cargopod with weapons on it". and I had intended to build the CVA and CVL pods like I said earlier.

I was thinking about hanging those new Phase 1b warps on this tug, that was really the original impetus behind building those new warps anyway
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 03:52:22 am by Lord Schtupp »

Offline zerosnark

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2004, 08:21:25 am »

And btw: I like the phase 1b warps on the Heavy Cruiser in your Sig. Do you have the model anywhere?

Regarding the Tug. .. yes, I would buy one. :)   It would be VERY useful in a fleet. Please release it :) -> both with and without pods :)

Given the firepower of the Tug (without pod), one would logically have a mid rank captain (rank of commander), similar to what you would give to a light cruiser (like the dauntless). What could a light cruiser do that this "tug" cannot do?

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2004, 11:05:18 pm »
U know, now this "creation" isnt Fed looking enuf to me, needs to be less steamlined looking to bring it that ole TOS Fed look to it. This doesnt have it - Whole thing needs to be redone, yep.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2004, 01:06:22 pm »
U know, now this "creation" isnt Fed looking enuf to me, needs to be less steamlined looking to bring it that ole TOS Fed look to it. This doesnt have it - Whole thing needs to be redone, yep.

NOOOOOOOO!!! ;) Why don't you just add the "experimental" nacelles to it? I think that it'll look cool, myself.

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2004, 01:27:47 pm »
Lol Rod I shouldve been clear, I was really talking about the pod, Ill finish the tug with the 1b warps. Thanks Rod and Merry Xmas all... :D

Heavens Eagle

« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2004, 07:42:44 pm »
Very nice mesh.  I liked the original one and the extended is quite nice.  I can usually do the mesh part just perfectly.  The texture designs are what give me a ton of trouble.  It would be quite helpful for one of the better texture artists out there to do up a decent tutorial (with examples) on how they do the detail work on the textures.  (note I am not asking about how they are applied can do that quite well)

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2004, 01:40:02 am »
Im not gonna trash the mesh like I should; I just need to Fed it up a bit you know get my freak on

Always good to see heaven eagle; and I agree, the textures are really the key, 75% of the model as I was saying in another thread. Its why I have a dozen 95% meshed but mostly untextured models.

On the pod i think really the back half is the bad half - It just doesnt look TOS.
engines need to be pushed back a bit - I suspect that it might just improve warp field efficiency 8)

right now I am totally absolutely stuffed from xmas day - heavy breakfast - eating and drinking all day, big famly gathering, then - turkey and ham for dinner with pie, icecream - Im gonna barf i swear

Offline SSCF-LeRoy

• Kim's Clubhouse Painter
  • Lt.
  • Captain
    • SSCF.net
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2004, 04:21:22 pm »
Bump! ;D

Offline SSCF-LeRoy

• Kim's Clubhouse Painter
  • Lt.
  • Captain
    • SSCF.net
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2004, 09:47:36 am »
And the battle pod is rescued from page two once again ;D

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2005, 03:53:20 pm »
:bump:

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2005, 06:35:34 pm »
it takes 9 meter circle to turn an admin shuttle around, I figure that 9 meters  is absolute minimum for shuttle bay doors, these are 10. When I say 10 i mean 10.0000000 meters so no I dont think they are too big...

Offline Rhaz

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2005, 10:33:44 am »
Bump back to pg 1