Topic: Donation of a Challenge League  (Read 20792 times)

Offline Morph

• The God of Dreams
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Gamers for Gamers
    • World Gaming League Network
Donation of a Challenge League
« on: November 12, 2004, 06:47:31 am »
I hear with the closing of GZ that some of you SFC fans may need a new place for your PBA? If thats the case i will donate a challenge League to help your cause. There is 1 catch. Who ever takes charge of it must run it and supply there own Admins.

All I will do is supply the means for you to continue your way of gaming and make sure it runs properly.

WGL no longer runs ladders for the gaming community. WGLeague.com and MDT-Tech.com has teamed up to offer Private Leagues for your Fleet,Clan or Groups Favorite Game. Leagues come in two choice Points League and challenge League.

Offline KBF-Butcher

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Donation of a Challenge League
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 08:36:42 am »
Ok i was about to open a new thread for what i wanting to post but looks like this one covers me.

We have to decide all the fleets that are interesting for PBA what road we should take to make this league succesfull and have fun.

1)We can run the league through these forums i guess with the obvious possibility due to technical issues not last long enough.

2)There is the better possibility to support it with a static web site (thats very easy to design it and i got 40MB to host it as i guess others have ,too).
This can have the fleet rosters , game info , game rules , fleet standings , and the games schedule where everything will be updated manually and daily taking the info from the static threads of these forums where fleet leaders will update their fleet status(win,loss,new fleet members...).The matches will be scheduled ofcourse from the forums.

3)We can agree to morph's offer.And have everything ready.

I guess the 3rd choice is far the best but  i beleive we need all fleets opinion.

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 09:30:34 am »
Couple Points -

GZ shut down because I no longer have the time or the desire to Admin it.  Maintaining a formal League sight is work.

So which one of you guys want's to invest the time and the energy to learning how a site works, then explaining to everybody how to join it, make roster's and all that other crap?

This is a small enterprise, that I think is better served by keeping it loose and informal.  Keep it in here.  If you need rosters or anthing to track stuff, use GSA Arena.

The above are all valid points for you all to consider.

Personal opinion wise -
I won't be involved in anything that even smells like Morph.  Niether will the rest of KHH.
Morph isn't offering this out of the goodness of his heart.  There is always some slick, slimy ulterior motive.  I have my thoughts about what they are, but I'll keep those to myself.

Look, if you guys think it's important to have some formal League Structure, then make it easy on yoursleves - go to CUGS (another Morph-clone) and tell them you'll go join their League if they give you a little PBR corner.  I'm sure they'll welcome you with open arms "for the community" *gag*

At least then you don't need an admin.

Offline Kroma BaSyl

• Romulan Tart
  • Lt. Commander
  • Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 11:14:57 am »
K.I.S.S.

I always felt the GZ site was using a sledgehammer to drive a nail. Simpler the better.
♥ ♥ ♥  GDA Kroma BaSyl  ♥ ♥ ♥
GCS Prima Ballerina
GCS PHAT Gorn
GCS Queen Kroma

Because this game makes me feel like  a thirteen year old girl trapped in a lizards body.

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 11:25:07 am »
K.I.S.S.

I always felt the GZ site was using a sledgehammer to drive a nail. Simpler the better.

Well, in it's defense, it was underutilized relative to what I think NiHM had in mind, which was a far grander notion and he tried to load it with alot of bells and whistles.  The fact was that all that was needed for what we had was the schedule and some simple rosters - period. 

So, what you say is essentially true, and I agree KISS should be the concept here.  Just putting it into context  ;D

Offline Kroma BaSyl

• Romulan Tart
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 11:40:06 am »
K.I.S.S.

Well, in it's defense, it was underutilized relative to what I think NiHM had in mind, which was a far grander notion and he tried to load it with alot of bells and whistles.  The fact was that all that was needed for what we had was the schedule and some simple rosters - period. 

So, what you say is essentially true, and I agree KISS should be the concept here.  Just putting it into context  ;D

Don't get me wrong, I got nothing against sledgehammers, and the sight had a lot of features that could have been very useful if the league was scaling up.
GCS Prima Ballerina
GCS PHAT Gorn
GCS Queen Kroma

Because this game makes me feel like  a thirteen year old girl trapped in a lizards body.

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 11:58:56 am »

Don't get me wrong, I got nothing against sledgehammers

I bet :-*

Offline Ronin

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • sub·ter·fuge (sub-tr-fyooj) - Romulan foreplay
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 01:41:03 pm »
No need to move things from right here. I am not playing PBR Divisional League matches because I need to see my fleet stats on a web site and I don't see any reason to create admins at a new site. We have all been doing this long enough that I believe there is nothing we can not settle with a handshake.

Two things regarding the offer from Morph:

1. "You get what you pay for" - We would all do well to remember that.

2. "When something looks too good to be true, it probably is." - Something else we should all try to keep in mind.

I believe we are here because those who run the Dyna realm saw an opportuntity to help bring the community together when Jakle approached them about the closing of GZ. Great motive and hats off to them. Many of us know from years of experience that the people running things here are honest and forthright. And that is much more important to me than a slick site that might save ten minutes of time in a week. Moving elsewhere fractures a community that is just coming together. Bad idea in my opinion.

I will not move from here, no matter how good the offer looks. I know what we have here... I appreciate it... and I will not walk away from it.
"Flying Romulan takes cunning. You either have it... or you die."

In The Beginning -- An unfinished fictionalized account of events surrounding the old Starlance League.

Offline Mutilator

• FSD whip
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 02:27:35 pm »
Thanks for the offer Meph. Looks like we are not able accept.

"Forgiveness is the key that unlocks the door of resentment and the handcuffs of hate. It is a power that breaks the chains of bitterness and the shackles of selfishness."
William Arthur Ward
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Ronin

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 04:07:59 pm »
A fox and a scorpion come to a river. Both want to get to the other side.

"Hey," says the scorpion. "How about I climb on your back while you swim over?"

"You must be kidding," answers the fox. "I have seen what you do. You sting and kill things without any sign of reason."

"But listen," pleads the scorpion. "If I sting you and you die I will drown too. You have nothing to worry about."

Thinking for a moment the fox can think of no reason to dispute the argument.

"OK," says the fox. "Climb aboard."

Halfway across the river the scorpion stings the fox several times in the neck. The fox, paralysis beginning to take hold, gasps...

"You said you would not sting me!"

"Hey," answers the scorpion. "You knew I was a scorpion when you let me climb on your back."

~ Author unknown

In The Beginning -- An unfinished fictionalized account of events surrounding the old Starlance League.

Offline MrCue

• Site Designer
  • Lt.
  • Proud Father
    • Battleclinic
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 04:36:52 pm »
Chakotay from Voyager made almost the same quote as that.

Except the scorpion said he colulnt help it, it was his nature.

Offline Slider

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 04:47:57 pm »
I hear with the closing of GZ that some of you SFC fans may need a new place for your PBA? If thats the case i will donate a challenge League to help your cause. There is 1 catch. Who ever takes charge of it must run it and supply there own Admins.

All I will do is supply the means for you to continue your way of gaming and make sure it runs properly.

WGL no longer runs ladders for the gaming community. WGLeague.com and MDT-Tech.com has teamed up to offer Private Leagues for your Fleet,Clan or Groups Favorite Game. Leagues come in two choice Points League and challenge League.

Go Eat S**t and Die Morph.

[Saying what everyone else wants to but are being polite]

Offline KBF-Butcher

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2004, 04:51:48 pm »
No need to move things from right here. I am not playing PBR Divisional League matches because I need to see my fleet stats on a web site and I don't see any reason to create admins at a new site. We have all been doing this long enough that I believe there is nothing we can not settle with a handshake.

2. "When something looks too good to be true, it probably is." - Something else we should all try to keep in mind.

I believe we are here because those who run the Dyna realm saw an opportuntity to help bring the community together when Jakle approached them about the closing of GZ. Great motive and hats off to them. Many of us know from years of experience that the people running things here are honest and forthright. And that is much more important to me than a slick site that might save ten minutes of time in a week. Moving elsewhere fractures a community that is just coming together. Bad idea in my opinion.

I will not move from here, no matter how good the offer looks. I know what we have here... I appreciate it... and I will not walk away from it.

K most of your statements i agree with u Ronin ; its very good to have  opportunity to bring the community together and i dont think anybody play divisional league matches to see his  fleet stats on a web site.
However u wrote u dont want to walk away from it! To run away from what?
Do we have a league yet to run away from.And if u beleive we gonna have one how long u think it gonna last???
U really beleive we r gonna finish the cycle  and the forums actually can support the whole league to run properly?
If u do then i hope u r right but did u see anyone till now to take the initiative and begin organising the whole thing??
Jakle is out u r out the FPF havent decide yet if they will join or not.We just see ideas and nothing more.
My point is i would expect in this thread someone to come up and say: "ok guys what morph leagues and bullsh*ts?? no worries i have the free time to work on it and take the initiative and im ready to organise the league and make it work only supported by these forums".
Ok instead of that u r posting no to morphs free league then sit back and wait for a miracle to run the league!!Thats cool!
So what r we going to do ???
Whos gonna make the schedule ? Whos gonna bring a dam RBG ? Basicly whos gonna run this league?

If we ve just accepted Morphs offer all would be ready and easy to go and that doesnt mean we should then leave these forums.

Offline Kroma BaSyl

• Romulan Tart
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2004, 05:20:09 pm »

K most of your statements i agree with u Ronin ; its very good to have  opportunity to bring the community together and i dont think anybody play divisional league matches to see his  fleet stats on a web site.
However u wrote u dont want to walk away from it! To run away from what?
Do we have a league yet to run away from.And if u beleive we gonna have one how long u think it gonna last???
U really beleive we r gonna finish the cycle  and the forums actually can support the whole league to run properly?
If u do then i hope u r right but did u see anyone till now to take the initiative and begin organising the whole thing??
Jakle is out u r out the FPF havent decide yet if they will join or not.We just see ideas and nothing more.
My point is i would expect in this thread someone to come up and say: "ok guys what morph leagues and bullsh*ts?? no worries i have the free time to work on it and take the initiative and im ready to organise the league and make it work only supported by these forums".
Ok instead of that u r posting no to morphs free league then sit back and wait for a miracle to run the league!!Thats cool!
So what r we going to do ???
Whos gonna make the schedule ? Whos gonna bring a dam RBG ? Basicly whos gonna run this league?

If we ve just accepted Morphs offer all would be ready and easy to go and that doesnt mean we should then leave these forums.

I believe Kel volunteered to create the schedule and terms, Jakle is managing the PBR, FPF has already said they are in, and we can schedule matchs right here. What else do we really need.
GCS Prima Ballerina
GCS PHAT Gorn
GCS Queen Kroma

Offline Ronin

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2004, 05:28:47 pm »
Butcher... one of the great things about life is "choices." Jakle chose to close up GZ. I chose not to take over. Frey chose to allow us space here. Morph chose to offer us space with him. I choose to stay here and see what happens. You choose to criticize me for that.

All of that is all right. I have no problem with any of it. As for who will run things... that will depend on who has the time and energy. The fact that no one has stepped up to do it yet does not mean no one will. I am willing to wait a bit. As far as I am concerned there is no hurry. I would rather take it slowly and make sure everyone is onboard than move quickly, anyway.

Maybe it will take a miracle, as you said. But maybe not. Now I realize that I could be mistaken, but I really don't think we need to be alarmist about anything. The GZ PBR Divisional League did not take shape overnight. It took many months to shape up into what it became. Perhaps we will do the same thing here using the forums for our information. Perhaps not. But I see no reason to rush into something simply because it appears expedient.

Let's take a little more time, see which fleets have committed to participate, find out if anyone is willing to run it (someone will be), and then ask them to make it happen in whatever way works best for them using these forums. I offered a suggestion or two about it on the GZ forums, but someone else may have better ideas. Let's find out.

Butcher, I think you are a good guy. I think your heart is in the right place. But I think we all need to just relax and let things happen as opposed to trying to force something to happen according to some artificial timeline we want to impose.

Respects...

Offline Morph

• The God of Dreams
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Gamers for Gamers
    • World Gaming League Network
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2004, 05:30:23 pm »
I understand the way some of you feel and I quite frankly feel the same about those few people also, but i was approached by people that play the PBA. I only offer the means to a challenge league thats it. As far as Jackle and legendary well they will never change and always will be argumentative and rude. I can care less if yall except the offer or not. No sweat off my balls. But the offer stands if you change your minds.

I don't have time for the little bickering that you guys are doing here. So those who approached me on this, I posted like I said I would the balls in your court.

Offline Ronin

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2004, 05:34:35 pm »
I believe Kel volunteered to create the schedule and terms, Jakle is managing the PBR, FPF has already said they are in, and we can schedule matchs right here. What else do we really need.

Excellent... then we will stand by and allow Kel time to get in the pool and swim around with the sharks a bit while getting used to the water. Whenever he is ready to post up a schedule will be fine with me. I am content to wait until he is ready. The last thing I want to do is to start this ball rolling with whoever is responsible for the job of getting things moving and keeping things going feeling like we are all barking at him to "move faster, get the lead out!"

Kel, if you are reading this, take your time. Real life comes first. Getting this thing started "right" is much more important that getting it started "now." And thanks for taking the job.

Respects...

Offline KBF-Butcher

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2004, 05:56:23 pm »
Butcher... one of the great things about life is "choices." Jakle chose to close up GZ. I chose not to take over. Frey chose to allow us space here. Morph chose to offer us space with him. I choose to stay here and see what happens. You choose to criticize me for that.

All of that is all right. I have no problem with any of it. As for who will run things... that will depend on who has the time and energy. The fact that no one has stepped up to do it yet does not mean no one will. I am willing to wait a bit. As far as I am concerned there is no hurry. I would rather take is slowly and make sure everyone is onboard than move quickly, anyway.

Maybe it will take a miracle, as you said. But maybe not. Now I realize that I could be mistaken, but I really don't think we need to be alarmist about anything. The GZ PBR Divisional League did not take shape overnight. It took many months to shape up into what it became. Perhaps we will do the same thing here using the forums for our information. Perhaps not. But I see no reason to rush into something simply because it appears expedient.

Let's take a little more time, see which fleets have committed to participate, find out if anyone is willing to run it (someone will be), and then ask them to make it happen in whatever way works best for them using these forums. I offered a suggestion or two about it on the GZ forums, but someone else may have better ideas. Let's find out.

Butcher, I think you are a good guy. I think your heart is in the right place. But I think we all need to just relax and let things happen as opposed to trying to force something to happen according to some artificial timeline we want to impose.

Respects...

Yo Ronin im sorry it looked like i criticised u for something but i honestly  what i intended to say is that the people that can actually have the experience and the free time to take the initiative and begin organising the league.
We need responsible people to step up and promote solutions and actions that can make this league run which i beleive is very difficult through forums.
If u think the whole thing might need more time this is something im not sure its good cause it might cause some people-fleets to loose their interest.
U r much more experienced than me though  and maybe  u r right(i hope u r).
respects

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 06:15:05 pm »

Butcher - that's a ludicrous statement.  'Ready and Easy'? Again - who would manage it?  It's not such an easy thing.

Butcher, I honestly like you (I don't hold you being in ISC against you  :P) so I am not bashing you.  Even if Jesus H. Christ offered us a prebuilt league, I don't think it's necessary. 

I am not sure if you personally persued Morph, but if it was, I appreciate the effort nonetheless.

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 06:16:13 pm »

Go Eat S**t and Die Morph.

[Saying what everyone else wants to but are being polite]

Huzzah.

For the record, I am the one who broke the glass.  Sometimes a little Slider-foam is necessary.