Topic: Don't miss Enterprise tonight  (Read 10801 times)

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
Don't miss Enterprise tonight
« on: November 12, 2004, 03:53:12 pm »
Tonight is the conclusion of the Brent Spiner/Eugenics arc.  The episode is particularly interesting because, in addition to Brent Spiner guest staring, the episode was directed by Levar Burton.
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Don't miss Enterprise tonight
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 03:54:15 pm »
thanks for Reminding me AJ.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 06:59:55 pm »
Just about 5 minutes to go here In Okie Ville.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 08:30:24 pm »
I had to tape it.  I have and will again spend much of tonight on wet rainy roads.

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 08:43:34 pm »
Ooh, doesn't sound like fun.

If you enjoyed the last two episodes, this episode was pretty fun.  Although Spiner gave a great performance, what I liked the best was the music in the episode.

I don't want to give anything away, because it might ruin it.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 08:47:29 pm »
Ooh, doesn't sound like fun.

If you enjoyed the last two episodes, this episode was pretty fun.  Although Spiner gave a great performance, what I liked the best was the music in the episode.

I don't want to give anything away, because it might ruin it.

I'll give something away...

I loved all the referances to TOS that Coto worked in tonight.

Stephen

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 10:07:48 pm »
Definately a lot of references.  In addition to Khan, there were a few others.  Probably an odd reference was the Briar Patch.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 12:11:36 am »
What was odder was that Klach D'Kel Brakt is apparently the same thing as the Briar Patch.  The last five or ten minutes of the episode left me with a...bad taste, so to speak.  In between Malik's blatant rip-off of Khan scurrying about the bridge of the Reliant to his "miraculous" appearance on the Enterprise to the horrendously cheesy reference by Soong to his descendents, this episode is borderline at best.  Only last season's "Zero Hour" ruined an entire episode even more badly in its final minutes.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 01:46:38 am »
Okay, I finally got in and saw my VHS recording of it (actually, this is more fun; I can freeze the starship battle scenes, watch the hole in Malik's midsection in slo-mo [ugh... why DID I do that for??]); there's nothing like new Michelins and fresh Rain-X to ease the time on the highway and streets on a dark and stormy night... speaking of ripoffs,

I don't consider those scenes you referred to, RatBoy, as cheesy ripoffs, though.  I actually thoroughly enjoyed them with the very, very small possible exception of Malik ten seconds too much of Khan.  I loved the slightly tongue in cheek references to the Briar Patch, Mr. Data, Khan N. Singh and the Botany Bay...

... really, I seriously think of them as Paramount's extension of an olive branch of sorts to us real Trek fans, a way of saying that they're sorry for doing too much time (travel) for Enterprise and promising that they'll fix it all up real nice, but can't come out and say it as they're too proud... but still nice enough to do it!

And oh!  The SFX!!  The superb spaceship ballet, the rather imaginative use of primitive tech (grappling hooks), the cool looking Klingons, the ray gun blasts from ship to ship, the, ahem, *break models*... too much to point to!  They did a SUPER job on this.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 11:18:46 am »
I loved the slightly tongue in cheek references to the Briar Patch, Mr. Data, Khan N. Singh and the Botany Bay...

No, those were good, save for the forced reference to Data ("Future generations?"  Horrible.).  What I hated was how Malik's maneuvering across the bridge of the bird of prey was the exact same motions that Khan did on the Reliant to get to the Genesis controls, and still found the time to beam over to Enterprise without anyone detecting him.  That, on top of Soong's force lines about switching to cybernetics ruined for me what was a great episode.  It was "Zero Hour," only with thrown-in continuity for no reason instead of Space Nazis.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 02:25:27 pm »
Ah, well, I don't agree, though I understand your point.  But, consider- continuity is better than an alien Nazi if it has to be forced.

Now, you know better than I (so don't spoil it for me!!) but the next three episodes will be about T'Pol back on Vulcan.  Now, ordinarily, I'd be jumping with glee, but I'm really itching for plots and arcs dealing with the formation of the original nucleus of the Federation and their travails with the Klingons and Romulans.

As far as I can see, the Earth has phase cannons and photonic torpedoes while everyone else has tractor beams, and the Andorians have shields, everyone else with better sensors.  I'd love to see them nonchalantly and innocently pass by a Starfleet engineering diagram of the planned Constitution class!

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 07:23:27 pm »
I think they are way to early for planning the Constitution class. 
Anyway, I think the Vulcan arc should be interesting.  The whole Desert thing makes for a nice "epic" feel (although this isn't really based on anything, so, who knows, it could suck ;) ).

Spoilers:

It will have T'Pau (from Amok Time) in it

Offline Sarek

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 08:32:32 pm »
All in all the Soong trilogy was a pleasant surprise.  I expected three lame episodes with Brent Spiner thrown in to attract viewers.  Instead the writing, effects, and acting were very good.  Spiner and Alec Newman in particular were excellent.  As for the cheese at the end, sometimes I like cheese.
Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.  – John Adams (1814)

www.lp.org

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 08:49:59 pm »
What's your preference, Cheez-Its or Cheese Nips?

Either way, one man's cheese is another man's pizza topping.

Offline Sarek

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2004, 09:45:40 pm »
What's your preference, Cheez-Its or Cheese Nips?

Either way, one man's cheese is another man's pizza topping.

I was always partial to drone ships.  ;D
Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.  – John Adams (1814)

www.lp.org

Offline Blyre

• Assistant to The Man
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2004, 11:48:11 pm »
What was odder was that Klach D'Kel Brakt is apparently the same thing as the Briar Patch.  The last five or ten minutes of the episode left me with a...bad taste, so to speak.  In between Malik's blatant rip-off of Khan scurrying about the bridge of the Reliant to his "miraculous" appearance on the Enterprise to the horrendously cheesy reference by Soong to his descendents, this episode is borderline at best.  Only last season's "Zero Hour" ruined an entire episode even more badly in its final minutes.

You just can't please some people. Bitch...bitch...bitch....

Wallace
Political Correctness: helping losers feel better about themselves since 1986 ;)

Offline S'Raek

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2004, 12:49:29 pm »
You guys are killing me!  I can't watch Enterprise, which from some of the comments I've heard the last couple of years made it sound like I wasn't missing much.  But this season sounds much better! 

Veritas vos Liberabit -- Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2004, 04:52:49 pm »
Go make like a Gamecube character and recharge your health or get a few extra lives, because this season so far HAS been quite good!  I hope by the time you are able to see it, you can catch some reruns of the good eps.

Incidentally, last season's wasn't all that bad either.  In fact it was quite good and everyone would have said so except for one bad, unthermodynamic choice the writers made- time travel.  Take that away, it was quite well done.  Even how they wrapped it all up was good, except for the last thirty seconds of the last ep of the season.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2004, 06:28:15 pm »
the Sean remind me of Khan on the reliant, butone thing when the Klingon bop engine overload should there be a bigger explosion of the ship?, it look more of a hull break down that an engine explosion to me.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2004, 01:32:12 am »
It's clear that Enterprise is cashing in on TOS, TMP, and TNG references to excite Trek fans.  "Ooooo, he just said briar patch".  " Oooooh, that's how Soong started cybernetics" , "Oooo, Orion Slave girls", yada, yada.  It's not bad, but a little obvious.  I thought the Augment episodes were pretty good and I liked the references.  However these three episode arcs are getting a little tiresome.  I feel as if they are stretching an episode or two of writing over three or more episodes.  The writing on the show needs to densified and intensified.  Too many scenes are mere stock scenes that could occur in any drama show.  The "torture" scene, the "hostage" scene, the "furtive lovers" scene, etc, etc.  This sci-fi.  They need to take some risks in how they tell their stories, not just the same old same old.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD