Topic: Strrange Harvest: Repost and New Stuff  (Read 13124 times)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Strrange Harvest: Repost and New Stuff
« on: November 30, 2004, 11:05:41 pm »
It's been wayyyy too long since I've done this...I feel kinda nostalgic...

It's already finished, btw.  I'm just posting parts when I get a second.

--------------------------

Strange Harvest

Chapter One

The old battlecruiser lay at rest, restrained within a spider-like repair dock.  Her hull was fully lit, and various repair craft buzzed around her.  La?ra could see her out of Jark?s bay window.  The brigadier had been entirely too congratulatory thus far.  The commander waited for the other boot to drop.

??there is one less satisfactory point.? The brigadier placed his datapad on his desk.

La?ra?s mouth twitched.  General Tor had always saved the bad news for last, listing laudable actions before he explained why none of it mattered.

?Your destruction of the hydroelectric station on Whyndah proved most effective,? Jark continued.  Where Tor had been corpulent and emotive, Jark was lanky and still.  ?However, the Whyndah have requested compensation and Oversector Command has granted their request.?

Oversector Command?  La?ra frowned.  That meant Jark wasn?t using his own authority against him, at least.

?They have ruled that since you the inflicted the damage, it should be you who compensates the Whyndah.? The brigadier met La?ra?s gaze.  ?The way the order was phrased, your house would be responsible for payment.  I am sure they?re aware you are not affiliated with a house.?

La?ra nodded.  ?How much do they require??

Jark named the sum.  La?ra?s stomach twisted and shrank in on itself.  He groaned.

?A considerable amount, I agree.?  Jark leaned back in his chair.  ?Though the prize fee you earned from capturing the Jukath should soften the blow somewhat.?

?Yes, My Lord.?  The math whirled in La?ra?s head.  He was bankrupt and in debt if they hadn?t seized his land, and nearly destitute if they had.

?In other matters,? Jark diverted his gaze.  His tone was normal again. ?The repair and refit of the Hiv?laposh should be completed in three weeks.  Considering the tensions along the Neutral Zone, I?m restricting your crew?s shore leave to this system.  No trips to the homeworld, I?m afraid.?

La?ra nodded. Starfleet had been growing more impertinent by the day.

?We were expecting that, Brigadier.?

Jark nodded.

?Some of them may find it more bearable now that they?ve been promoted.? The Brigadier handed a datapad to La?ra.  ?All but three of your promotion requests were granted.?

La?ra looked at the pad.  Jark had signed off on all of them save Woram. Oversector Command had rejected Ran?jar and Leral.

?Perhaps so, My Lord.?  He handed the list back.

?If you wish, Commander,? Jark was not smiling, but his tone was pleasant.  ?Talk to my aide about setting up a line of credit.  We can draw your recreational expenses from your future salary.?

La'ra nodded.

?You?re dismissed, Commander.?

La?ra stood and saluted, fist to chest.  Jark stood and returned the gesture.  The pale brigadier was as tall as La?ra when standing, but much leaner.  La?ra turned for the door.

?Commander,? Jark said, ?one other thing.  I appreciate that your finances may look grim, and I?ve been told your property has been confiscated.  However, you retain a cruiser command in the Defense Forces, and you are paid well enough that you are in no danger of starving.  I would concentrate on my duty. Fortune brought you the Sulakai and the Jukath. There will be other opportunities.?

?I?ll try to remember that, My Lord.?

Jark nodded.

?Success, Commander.?

He managed to contain himself until he was out of Jark?s waiting room.  He drove his fist into the wall as soon as the doors had slid shut behind him.  Then he swore, loudly, and gazed at his clearly broken knuckle.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
Re: Strrange Harvest: Repost and New Stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 09:57:17 am »
Damn i hate work. And i'm busy tonight.... F*CK. Still i should be able to read and feedback friday.... maybe saturday :( :'(
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 01:20:28 pm »
Grim, I'm just happy I have someplace I can get feedback at all.  Sure I send 'em to people to 'preview', but it ain't the same...

Looking forward to your thoughts.:)

------------------

Chapter Two

?Still sulking, I see.?  The voice was loud, close and unmistakable even over the din of the bar.

La?ra growled.  He was on his third stein of bloodwine and the pleasant warmth he was shooting for had yet to wash over him.  His size was not always an advantage.

?I am not sulking.?

L?dar chuckled.  It was a sharp, derisive noise.  He sat down on the stool next to La?ra and ordered something. 

?Oh, my apologies.  Is pouting the correct term??

La?ra snarled and took a long drink.  Must his brother always pick the worst moments to test his temper? 

?Perhaps I should?ve send Leral to ask you.  The sight of her breasts usually makes you more agreeable.?

?I do not feel like fighting you.?

The giant engineer narrowed his eyes.

?You are taking this seriously. Worrying about money.?  Such was often considered unworthy of an honorable warrior and L?dar still bore hopes of turning his brother into his vision of one.

?I am not worried about money.?

?Your land then??   

La?ra sighed.  He did not feel like discussing it.  Yet L?dar would insist, and La?ra could either talk or fight.  The bar was peaceful for the moment, but it was filled with off-duty Klingons, and one fight would probably start a general melee. La?ra wasn?t feeling jolly enough for that.

?I had planned to retire there.?  He revealed.

?Wasn?t it next to some stinking bog?? 

?Yes, but that stinking bog is on Qo?unos.?  The Klingon homeworld had little space to go around.  Property was a possession of the rich.

L?dar scoffed.

?Spare me, brother.  You likely will not retire for another century and you have never been one to build a den.  Are you betrothed and eager for children??

?No.?  La?ra snarled.  K?Sea demanding he give her a near-sister and a horde of nephews was bad enough.  He hoped this wasn?t L?dar?s method of doing the same.

?Then why this nonsense??

La?ra sighed.

?I do not know.?  He grumbled.

The bartender delivered L?dar?s bloodwine.  The giant engineer took a long drink, said nothing.  Both brothers concentrated on their alcohol for a while.

?They turned down two promotions.?  La?ra muttered.  ?Leral and Ran?jar.  And Woram, but I'd expected that."  The Petty Officer hadn't been a petty officer long.  La'ra had suggested him only to put another bright mark on the young warrior's record.

L?dar nodded.

?Jark??

La?ra shook his head.

?Oversector Command."

?Why??

?Because Leral is a woman, and Ran?jar is loyal to me.?

L?dar nodded.  La?ra continued.

?Oversector Command also made the decision regarding my property.?  La?ra frowned at his stein.  It was empty.

?You feel this is deliberate, don?t you??  L?dar asked.

La?ra nodded.

?I am not a popular man, brother, especially when I?m doing well.?

L?dar laughed.  The noise was quiet, yet deep.

?We have been doing well, haven?t we??  The engineer chortled, slapped La?ra on the back.  La?ra grinned slightly.

?I suppose so.?

?Then perhaps you should tell Oversector Command to choke on your miserable bottomland.?

?Perhaps.?  The bartender was sensing the Commander?s mood; La?ra suddenly had more bloodwine.  He took another drink.

?You know the K?lestia is in dock??  L?dar asked.

?Oh??  The K?lestia belonged to Lieutenant Commander Torax, who'd gotten his new frigate thanks to La?ra.  He was one of the few outside of the Hiv'laposh's crew who knew the full truth behind Jark?s ascension to Sector Command.

?Yes.?  L?dar was grinning.  The expression was much like his brother?s, though it saw less use.  ?If you?d bother to check your own messages, you?d probably already know.  Mar?sa is still his First, after all.?

La?ra?s mouth twitched.  His brother was a simple soul in some ways.  What problems couldn?t be solved with violence could be solved with sex or food.

?I knew that.?  La?ra answered.

?They?ve been doing rather well, too.  Perhaps we should join forces for a celebration.?  L?dar offered.  ?We still have our ship until the dockyard team invades.  I believe there?s a targh still living in stores.?

There would be no escape, La?ra decided.

?Arrange things then.?

L?dar raised an eyebrow.

?Do I look like your steward??

?You look like the man who came up with the idea.?

L?dar threw his head back and laughed.  Half the bar?s inhabitants turned to look.

?Very well!?  He slapped La?ra?s back.  The Commander had braced himself; he held firm but some bloodwine still ended up on the bar.  The massive engineer turned and strode for the door, threatened patrons scurrying out of his path.

La?ra chuckled.

?Commander La?ra??  Someone asked.

La?ra turned toward the voice.  A lean Klingon in civilian clothes leaned on the bar.  He was paler than many men. though his hair and eyes were quite dark.  A slim disruptor was stuffed into his belt; it was a type favored by those who preferred easy concealment or perhaps comfort.

La?ra?s eyes narrowed.  The fingers of his right hand drifted towards his sidearm.

?Yes.?  He answered.

?If you have a moment, I?d like to speak with you.?  The slim Klingon smiled.  It was an oily expression.

?So speak.?

?I?d prefer to speak in private, Commander.?  The man?s fingers moved slowly, plucking an identification disk from his pocket.  He presented it to La?ra, who took it, gingerly, with his left hand.

?Imperial Intelligence.?  He stated

?I have a booth reserved.?  The man was still smiling.  ?It?ll be worth your attention.?

La?ra frowned.  The slim Klingon turned and walked away.  La?ra paid for his drinks, then followed, his curiosity bubbling.

"Another drink, Commander?"  The pale man asked as La'ra sat.  The Commander shook his head.

"Say what you will."  La'ra growled.

"All right then..."  There were three buttons on their table.  The slim Klingon pressed one and the booth's privacy partition slid into place.

"Jex Pryn is happy with you right now.  I want you to develop that relationship and pass on what you discover from him to me.  Do that, and I won't go to my friend in Internal Security and tell him you're on the Pryn's family payroll."

La'ra blinked.  He stared at the slim Klingon for three or four seconds, digesting what the little man had said.  Then his disruptor was in his hand, its snout hovering in the Intelligence man's face.

"I do not work for Jex Pryn."  La'ra grinned viciously. 

The intelligence man grew quite still.  His eyes stared at the end of the disruptor.

"Yes, Commander, you can kill me.  If you think intimidating me will get you out of this situation you're mistaken.  If you shoot...well, I'll be dead, but don't you think there will be an investigation?"  The agent's hands were on the table.  He seemed careful not to move them, but he did not stammer when he spoke.

"I'm not trying to intimidate you."  La'ra's mouth twitched.  "I'm deciding whether or not to avenge the insult.  I do not work for Jex Pryn."

"Truth shouldn't be insulting, Commander.  You made every decision that brought you here."

"I do not work for Jex Pryn."  La'ra watched the man carefully.  Jex Pryn was a notorious pirate commodore, with extensive operations in Federation and Romulan territory.  He mostly avoided conflict in Klingon space, but some prizes had been too juicy to ignore, which meant he was wanted by the KDF as badly as by Starfleet.

"I see."  Despite the pistol in his face, the pale man smiled.  "And you just happened upon the Jukath?  You just happened to know the Sulakai was in Klingon territory?  How did you even know what the Jukath was up too, her ties to the Prime Cartel weren't documented.  You had inside information."

La'ra's grin softened, slightly.  He'd had inside information all right, but nothing the agent would have known about. The little spy's supposition was logical, if unflattering..  His disruptor remained pointed at the intelligence man's face, regardless.

"I do not work for Jex Pryn." He stated again.  "I got my inside information from somewhere else."

The pale man's brows drew together.  He waited, as if expecting the Commander to continue.  La'ra was silent. 

"I see."  The Intelligence man said after half a minute.  "And where exactly did you get this inside information?"

"I stole it from Eric Donovan."  La'ra answered.  He didn't like revealing his theft.  Information was less valuable the more people that knew it, and this agent would want to see.  Yet if Internal Security were called in, he would have to tell of his spoils, there would be more people involved, and he wouldn't have them at disruptor point.

The agent's dark eyes widened.  "The raid on Melana..."

La'ra nodded once.

The pale Klingon leaned back slightly, the first time he'd moved since being threatened.

"You'll have to prove it."

"No."  La'ra said.

"I suppose Internal Security will have to use a mind sifter then."

"I'd prove it to Internal Security."  The Commander answered.  "But not before I have too.  I'm not foolish enough to think word would not travel."

"What difference would that..." The agent's brows lifted.  "...it'd make all the difference if you had more information."

La'ra smiled.

"You have that kind of data and haven't turned it over to Imperial Intelligence?"

"Yes."

"Internal Security might find that as interesting as working for Jex Pryn."

La'ra shrugged.  "I could be lying.  I could be working for Jex Pryn."

The pale man stared at him a moment.

"I don't think so."  He was no longer eyeing the disruptor; he looked La'ra in the eyes.  "So...new arrangement.  You let me see the data, and I don't notify Internal Security about your lapse."

La'ra laughed.

"I've put it into good use.  I command a battlecruiser.  They might frown, but my discretion is wide."

"Internal Security isn't fond of discretion."

"And yet I have it in sufficient amounts."  La'ra chortled.  "Besides, are you so eager to render the data useless?"

The Intelligence man smiled.  It was restrained at first, but grew to impressive proportions.

"No."  He admitted.

"Then why would you report it to Internal Security."  La'ra asked.  "And who are you?"

"I'm Dar'tel.  Son of Su'chal.  I'm Director of Intelligence in the Gas'kovan Sector."

"Colonel Klamek is the Director of Intelligence for the Gas'kovan sector."

"Colonel Klamek is dead."  The pale man's eyes grew dark.  "Some young upstart killed him in a duel."

La'ra's eyes narrowed.

"You?"

"Me."

"Bold.  Why?"

"He insulted my family."

The Commander snorted.

"Why?"

Dar'tel waited a moment, considering.

"All right."  He began.  "I couldn't prove what I'd found out about him.  I gave him an oppurtunity to display his cunning wit, then challenged him.  He was a fat old man who hadn't fought in years."

La'ra nodded.  Klamek had been good friends with General Tor...

"He was involved with the pirates that had operated in this system."  He offered.

Dar'tel frowned.

"I guessed."  La'ra shrugged.

"I'll bet you did.  Didn't General Tor retire just after you took their base?"

"He was an old man."

Dar'tel continued to frown.  "I believe I've misjudged you, Commander."

"That's obvious.  Why else did you think I was working for Jex Pryn?"  The agent had been entirely too confident of his knowledge.

"Mind taking your disruptor out of my face?"

La'ra smiled and holstered his weapon.

"Two of Pryn's underlings are on the station right now."  The agent's hands sprung into motion, making wild movements as if trying to draw a picture of his point.  "They have a case full of latinum and they're looking for you."
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 03:17:17 am »
I remember this tale from the taldren forums. Or at least these parts. Likeble guy but dangerous to get involved with.

Two of Pryn's underlings are on the station right now."  The agent's hands sprung into motion, making wild movements as if trying to draw a picture of his point.  "They have a case full of latinum and they're looking for you."

one case... that's probably not enough.. How bout enough to repay his debts twice?

Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Chapter Three
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 03:43:42 am »
Yeah, I had the first three chapters posted when Taldren did the death spiral.  Annoyed me a little bit, as that was when I really got rolling....

----------------------

Chapter Three

La'ra's eyes narrowed, one eyebrow raising higher than it's brother.  It was his incredulous expression.

"They're what?"

"They're looking for you."  Dar'tel chuckled.  "I thought they were here to pay you for your services."

"Yet I don't..."

"...work for Jex Pryn."  The agent grinned.  "Maybe he's happy with you regardless of the fact that you don't work for him.  You did kill the man who killed his son."

La'ra nodded slowly.

Dar'tel continued.  "Could be that he was going to put a price on the Mirak's head.  You hit the Sulakai pretty fast.  May have been over before Pryn had the chance to advertise."

"Why would he send men to pay me?"

Dar'tel shrugged, his hands continuing their dance.  "Pryn's like that, supposedly.  Wouldn't matter that you didn't know about it.  Keeps his word, even when it's just to himself."

"He's a pirate."

"He's a pirate that's held together his operation despite not playing ball with the Orion Syndicate or the Prime Cartel or anyone else.  He has to draw allies with something, might as well be his reliability."

La'ra nodded. "So arrest these men."

Dar'tel frowned. "And give up the opportunity to make friendly contact with a man who can get me solid intelligence on Starfleet, the Romulan Fleet, other pirates? No, I will not arrest them."

"Ah."

"However, they won't talk to me."  Dar'tel met La'ra's eyes.  "They're looking for you."

The commander frowned.  "No."

"This could be an opportunity..."

"I am no spy, Director."

"This would just involve talking to them."

"I don't wish to talk to them," La'ra stated.

Dar'tel smiled politely.  "I can make sure Internal Security knows that I asked you for help.  Popularity or no, you wouldn't have any trouble with them, and you might be able to bounce back from what Oversector Command decided to do to you."

La'ra frowned.  It didn't surprise him that Dar'tel knew, but neither did it please him.

"I have contacts at Oversector Command.  I could find out who's responsible for that decision," the Director continued.

"No," La'ra said.  He shook his head.  He could not explain his distaste for what Dar'tel was asking, but he felt it plainly.  He wasn't willing to question his instincts at the moment.

"I can make sure you keep the latinum," Dar'tel added.

"I do not want their money."

Dar'tel sighed.  "What do you want?"

La'ra locked eyes with the intelligence man.  "I wish to return to my ship and sleep.  My brother is planning a party, and his celebrations are more enjoyable if one is rested."

The director rested his hands on the table.  It was the first time they'd been still since La'ra had put away his disruptor.

"I'm not asking you to commit a crime."

La'ra shook his head.  "You've taken one too many liberties with me today."

"At least think it over."

"Perhaps."  The commander opened the privacy shroud.  The noise of the bar flooded the cubicle.  He stood.

"I still want to talk about Melana."

"I do not," La'ra smiled, and walked away.

"It says..." Ran'jar's voice was clear, his enunciation too deliberate. He was holding a datapad.  His eyes were wide and unfocused.  "...Surveillance of subject will be discontinued as of this date, signed, Khre'Riov Telel, Tal'Shiar."

La'ra glanced around the room.  The mass of Klingons stuffed into the Hiv'laposh's officer's mess were silent.  Some looked pensive.  All watched as Lieutenant Commander Torax reviewed his own datapad;  he was the arbitrator.

"He is correct."  The young Klingon announced.  There was a further moment of silence, and then the room exploded with noise.

"I told you he could do it!"

"...he is ridiculously inebriated...."

"...high level Romulan code..."

"...I do not see how he decoded..."

"...he is in league with Feh'lkr, that's how..."

La'ra laughed loudly and leaned in close to the man next to him.

"You saw," he demanded over the ruckus.

"I saw," the older man agreed. He muttered under his breath for a moment.  "How did he do it?"

"It does not matter."  La'ra grinned.  "All that matters now are my missiles."

"Son of a lazy, diseased targh..." the man fretted.  He was Gas'kovan's harbormaster.   "...you'll get them.  And your latinum.  You realize what I'll have to go through if I do not have high-speed ordnance when Captain Krenn arrives next week?"

"Your fault for making such a foolish bet."

"That bathtub of yours will be mine, someday," the harbormaster promised.  La'ra laughed again.  Around them, Klingons were mingling, boasting, and occasionally fighting.  An officer from the K'lestia yelled something at the harbormaster, who let out a stream of curses and marched toward the voice.  L'dar's party was going well. 

La'ra headed for the makeshift bar.  Ran'jar had seated himself next to it with a woman on each knee and a stein in each hand.

"I am sorry," the First said seriously, his usual ice washed away in a flood of alcohol, "but I am married."

The women didn't seem to be discouraged by the confession and Ran'jar continued to explain his spouse's beauty to them.  La'ra chose not to interrupt.

"It's a shame I didn't get here in time to place a wager."  Lieutenant Commander Torax emerged from the crowd.  He was a compact, mustachioed Klingon, young with only a hint of swagger.

"Then who would've been the arbiter?" La'ra asked.  There was a selection of drinks on the bar.  He chose a bubbling libation he'd discovered on shore leave a few months previous.  He offered a glass to Torax, who sniffed at it with trepidation.

"I think bloodwine will do, Commander, thank you."

La'ra laughed.

"Don't be so formal!  We're celebrating a successful patrol."

"I apologize.  We spend more time near Sector Command than you.  Jark encourages... stiffness."

"How has it been, since the change?".

"Cool air from the mountains."  Torax sighed.  "He is too decorous for my taste, but quite honorable."

"From what I've seen, I agree.  Though I have not seen much.  Dealing with a man over subspace is not the same as looking into his eyes."

"I'd guess not being so firmly on Sector Command's leash has it's own advantages."  Torax replied. 

"In command bare months and already seeking fame and glory."

Torax laughed.

"I spent enough time enforcing customs regulations when I had the Grau'mah.  The K'hlestia seems like a dreadnought to me.  I have this childish desire to use her to her full potential."

"What about chasing the Sasquatch back into the neutral zone a week ago?"  La'ra grinned, and the younger Klingon matched the expression.

"But a taste of victories to come," Torax declared.  La'ra cackled, raised his glass.

"To future victories!" 

"To future victories!" Torax agreed.  The two captains slammed their mugs together and drank deeply.  Somewhere close by, Ran'jar was loudly demanding that his favorite opera be played.

"I heard about Oversector Command's decision," Torax informed as the music began to play.  "No one around here agrees with it."

La'ra shrugged, a tendril of his earlier annoyance creeping in.  He pushed it away, though not without effort.

"A good thing to know," he replied.

"If it were me, I'd be desperate for a couple of prizes."  The young Klingon's eyes gleamed.  "I know someone who might be able to point your toward some smugglers ripe for the impound."

"Oh?"

"I get along well with the Intelligence man for our sector."

"Major Dar'tel?"

Torax nodded.  "Yes.  He's honorable, in his way."

"I've met him," La'ra said flatly.

"Oh?"  Torax looked curious.  "He works even faster than I thought."

There was a pause for a moment.  Torax continued.

"He's apparently out here due to someone's disfavor.  They didn't expect him to duel his superior then take his position."

"That sounds familiar," La'ra admitted. "Is he any more efficient?"

Torax's mouth quirked.

"He is... oily, but he seems determined.  I do not trust him, but I'd say neither does Imperial Intelligence... and around here terrorizing your superiors usually means you're actually doing your duty."

La'ra grinned.

"You're growing cynical."

"Tors and Klameks have that effect on innocent youth."

"They certainly do..."  La'ra raised his drink to his lips.  Someone bumped into him, and only quick reflexes kept his nose out of his mug.

"Sorry, Commander," Leral apologized.  She was the only person present in full dress uniform, red honor sash draped across armor meant to enhance her breasts.  Her cheeks were flushed pink, but La'ra guessed it was the result of alcohol, not embarrassment.

La'ra laughed.

"Aren't you supposed to be charming some scientists?"

Leral smiled.  Her eyes were happy.

"All I had to do was bat my eyelashes at them," she explained.

Torax made an odd noise, a laugh filtered by a mouthful of bloodwine.

"So that's how the science council works..." La'ra said evenly.  "...no wonder you wore your dress uniform."

The Hiv'laposh's science officer laughed.  It was a deep, earthy sound, more natural than her usual mirth.

"I know it helped," she declared.  "And I stood like this throughout the presentation."  She came halfway to attention, thrusting her chest forward and taking a deep breath.  She did not quite spill out of her uniform.

Torax turned away sputtering.  La'ra found that his gaze was riveted to his science officer's bosom.

She released her breath and laughed again.  She touched his arm as she spoke.

"It must've worked!  They credited me, like I'd hoped!"  Her eyes were dancing, once he got around to looking at them.

La'ra smiled deeply.

"You have a storm named after you?"

"I have the discovery of a particular type of storm credited to me."  She grinned.  "Naming is only for specific storms, and they usually just give them numbers."

"Oh," La'ra said.

"I think the humans name storms after women," Torax informed.  "Which reminds me, Mar'sa is around here somewhere."

La'ra glanced at Torax and grinned.  Leral looked curiously at her commander.

"Mar'sa?"

"My gunner," Torax said.

"We know each other," La'ra added.

"I see."  Leral's mouth twitched into a smile.  Her eyes were positively shining now.

There was a disturbance in the crowd, as the gunner in question pushed herself over to the bar.

"Ogling your subordinates, again?"  She stared at La'ra.  There was challenge in her voice.

Leral laughed.  Torax smiled.

"I don't know what you're talking about."  La'ra said, his voice as close to Ran'jar's ice as he could manage.  Mar'sa was shorter than Leral, with tawny hair only a shade or two darker than her skin.  She was quite fit, though with a certain round width to her shoulders and hips.  She wore the tight leather 'uniform' that some male officers required of the females under their command, so her pleasant shape was on full display.  La'ra gazed at her hungrily.

"I like that opera," Torax said, cocking his head as if he'd been listening.  "I believe I'll go ask your First about it."  He headed away.

"I'll come with you," Leral volunteered and started to follow.  She turned and smiled widely at Mar'sa.

"Keep him out of trouble," she instructed.

Mar'sa grinned.  The two women's eyes were locked together, in appraisal more than challenge.

"I can handle him," the gunner boasted.

Leral laughed and headed away.

"You can?"  La'ra asked.

Mar'sa looked up at him and bared her fangs.

La'ra sighed deeply.  His muscles ached, and he was feeling the sting of various lacerations.  The bed covers had long since evacuated the bed, but he was not cold; Mar'sa was cuddled close, and her naked body was quite warm. 

He was happy.  He had been happy since L'dar's celebration had started.  He'd certainly been happy during the two energetic romps he'd had with the warm, sweet-smelling warrior he was still entangled with.  His attention had been occupied however, and he hadn't really noticed.

Now he could reflect on his good spirits.  It was unusual that he would be truly pleased with life while his ship was in dry-dock and he was stuck amid Sector Command's politics.  But then, he no longer had a fool for a commanding officer, and he'd spent a great deal of time with people who liked or at least respected him. 

So while unusual, his contentment was far from unwelcome.

Mar'sa stirred for a moment, and he grinned, thinking another wild session was imminent.  Then she grew quite still, and began to snore lightly.  He chuckled as quietly as he could.

His thoughts drifted toward his financial issues, and Major Dar'tel.  The Intelligence man had annoyed him deeply, but he had been straightforward in his dealings.  La'ra reminded himself that he had annoyed more than a few people in the course of his career, most out of necessity.  Perhaps he should talk to the slimy little man again.  Come to some arrangement with regard to Donovan's information.  La'ra wanted nothing to do with the Pryn agents lurking around.  He'd have to stay firm on that point.

He almost laughed.  Robbed of land and a great deal of latinum, he still wanted no dealings with people willing to pay him for something he'd done of his own free will.  L'dar would call that honorable.  La'ra wondered if 'ill-considered' would be a better adjective.

He did not care, and he was tired of thinking about money, pirates, and annoying spies.  It'd been quite a long time since he'd been curled up with a naked woman.  Mar'sa had been involved in Tor's downfall, and La'ra'd been impressed by her.  They'd corresponded regularly, but this was their first coupling and he was regretting they had not done it sooner, especially since neither of them had any false hopes of marriage or establishing a house.  He took a long look at her.

She was snuggled to him tightly, one muscular leg tossed over his thighs, an arm draped across his chest.  Her breasts were pressing insistently into his flank, and her sweet smell taunted him.  He let his eyes slide down her, admiring the caramel skin and the deep curve of her hip.

Mar'sa stopped snoring.  He realized she had awoken, probably because he'd been stroking her shoulder, something he hadn't noticed he was doing.

"Awake already?" she purred.

"Difficult to sleep when I am being continually aroused."

She laughed, and La'ra jumped a bit as she sank her teeth into his pectoral.

"I'm not helping, am I?" she asked.  Her tone was aggressive rather than playful.

"No," he growled.  His hand seized a handful of her hair as he kissed her.  She responded instantly, snarling like a cat and trying to climb onto his chest.  Then his door chime rang.

Mar'sa swore.  La'ra laughed.

"Do not answer it," she cursed.

He chuckled and glanced at the chronometer.  It was the deep part of morning; no one would be disturbing him unless some emergency had developed, and his curiosity was already beginning to build.  Mar'sa must've had the same thought, for she had already disengaged.

La'ra stood up and pulled on his uniform trousers.  The rest of his clothes and armor were scattered about the room along with Mar'sa's leather.

"Torax does not make you wear that, does he?"

She grinned.

"No."

He laughed, Mar'sa wasn't dressing, but modesty was bred out of Klingon military personnel quite early.  He stood to one side of the door, a habit formed when his command had been less secure, and pressed the open button.

There were two men in the doorway.  Both wore the sleek black armor and slim disruptors commonly issued by Imperial Intelligence.  His mind processed possible reasons for their visit, their unauthorized presence aboard his ship, and who likely had sent them before they began to speak.

"Commander La'ra," the taller of the two stated.  La'ra was already boiling with rage, though not toward these two underlings. "You're to come with us, My Lord."

"You are under arrest."

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 05:00:20 pm »
"I am sorry," the First said seriously, his usual ice washed away in a flood of alcohol, "but I am married."

The women didn't seem to be discouraged by the confession and Ran'jar continued to explain his spouse's beauty to them.  La'ra chose not to interrupt.

awww the poor bstard. NOT

Nice cliffhanger there. Makes me want more. GIMME :D

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Chapter Four
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 03:50:25 am »
Ya' want more?  Ya' got more.

Don't get used to this, though.  I only wish I could write fast enough for an every night post. ;D

----------------------

Chapter Four    Chapter Four     Chapter Four     Chapter Four     Chapter Four     Chapter Four[/color][/b]

La'ra paced angrily, crossing from one side of the interrogation room to the other.  He wore only his black uniform trousers, having refused to dress on Imperial Intelligence's behalf.  The two black-clad guards at the door kept their distance from him, their fingers sliding toward their weapons whenever he spun around too quickly or stepped too close for their peace of mind.

The commander took little note of them.  His rage increased with every short lap around the cold gray room, and he was saving it all for Major Dar'tel.  He traveled across the room five more times, then six.  The door hissed open, and the pale, dark headed intelligence man stepped through. 

He'd just begun to speak when La'ra drove his fist into the Intelligence man's nose.  Dar'tel was much lighter than La'ra; he flew backwards into the door before collapsing onto the deck.  The guard's disruptors were trained on La'ra before the major made his landing.

"Get up," La'ra demanded.

Dar'tel lay on the floor for a moment, voicing a stream of quiet curses.  He pulled himself up to his knees, blood from his wounded nose flowing down over his mouth and chin.  He cursed again, and pulled a rag from his pocket.  He dabbed at his face gingerly.

"Sir?"  A guard asked.  He kept an eye and his weapon on La'ra.

"Wait outside," Dar'tel replied.

"Sir..."  The guard's expression was one of distaste and worry.

"Wait outside, Huk'chal," Dar'tel repeated.  "If he kills me, he's already locked up."

Huk'chal sneered, his eyes fixed on La'ra.  He holstered his disruptor.

"Yes, sir."  He walked out the door, the other sentry close on his heels.

"Explain yourself," La'ra ordered.  His face was red, and the grin on his face hinted at insanity.  He could inflict more punishment on Dar'tel now that the guards had been dismissed but he wanted the little p?tach to be standing.

Dar'tel laughed.

"Do you know you're the third KDF officer who's done this to me?" he inquired, his voice nasal through the handkerchief.  He snorted, wiped more blood from his nose.  "Excellent punch.  I think my nose is broken."

La'ra's expression became incredulous.  Laughter had not been the response he expected.

"I am going to stand up now," Dar'tel proclaimed.  He rose.  He didn't step away from La'ra, despite his fracture.

"On what charge am I being held?"  La'ra demanded.  His fists remained clenched, but he kept them at his sides.  Laughter?

"You're being held on the charge that Pryn's thugs were about to make their move, and I haven't prepared an alternative plan yet," Dar'tel explained.  "The only place they couldn't get a message to you on this station is here or in Internal Security's lockup.  Would you rather be there?"

"I would rather be back in my bed!"

"With the gunner from the K'hlestia..." Dar'tel leered, "...not a bad place to be, I'll admit.  It works out well that she saw your arrest.  More believable with a witness."

La'ra advanced a step.  Dar'tel retreated slightly, but there was no fear in his eyes.

"Commander," he said evenly.  "I'm trying to develop a source of intelligence that could help us immensely.  You won't cooperate with me; that's acceptable, you can't perform my kind of work effectively unless you volunteered or were soundly blackmailed.  But I am not going to suspend my operation on your behalf, and you running around the station right now will sabotage the whole thing."

La'ra snarled, then looked away.  He began to pace.

"That wasn't the answer you were expecting," Dar'tel smiled.  With his face bloodied the effect was ghoulish.

"No," La'ra agreed.  He was on his third trek across the interrogation room.

"What were you expecting?"

La'ra halted his march and stared at the major.

"I expected this was another attempt to recruit my assistance."

"Ah."  Dar'tel shrugged, wiped more blood from his nose.  "Threatening to lock you away until you agreed to help?  More Colonel Klamek's style than mine.  He would've wanted to put you in an agonizer booth for punching him, too."

"And you?"

"I'd have noticed that some of your men have been lurking in our area of the base, that your First and most of your Marine detachment are nowhere to be found, and that Jark is watching the entire situation with amusement, probably curious about how his children relate to each other."  Dar'tel stated flatly.  "I have no desire to follow Colonel Chof's example."

La'ra grinned despite himself.  Director Chof had been Director of Intelligence of the Chulack sector until he'd gotten too forward with the commander of an Assault Battalion.

"That would've worked out good for you, perhaps," Dar'tel continued.  "Send my head to my superiors and they'll probably break out the bloodwine."

"So I've heard," La'ra replied.

"Can we sit down?" the major asked.  La'ra shrugged, and both men sat.

"In the future, I'll try and warn you before I have you arrested for my own fiendish purposes," Dar'tel offered.

"I will punch you in the stomach, rather than the face," La'ra answered.  "I... apologize."

"For the punch?"

"No," he said.  Pulling him away from Mar'sa in such a manner was more than enough justification for that.  "For reacting to your earlier proposal with anger.  You were seeking a means to do your duty."

Dar'tel nodded, snorted blood, then cleaned it away.

"Accepted."

"So."  La'ra leaned back in his chair.  It was too small for him, but it probably designed to be uncomfortable.  "What is your current plan?"

"I wait until they realize you're not just being questioned.  They'll probably want to get instructions from somewhere... they're under full surveillance, so I'll know where that person is... maybe who if we're fortunate.  I'll develop my leads from there, leaving these two out of it.  If they're operating entirely on their own... it'll be more difficult."

"And where am I while you wait for your chance?"

"Locked up," Dar'tel said.  "But made as comfortable as we can make you, per Jark's orders."

"Jark's orders?"

"He wasn't happy with this idea," Dar'tel informed.  "Which is why I'm nervous about your Marines.  I had to go to him with it; otherwise Internal Security would have me in a mind sifter by now."

La'ra nodded.  I.S. is extremely territorial, and arresting a KDF officer was a definite intrusion.  Jark's authority as Sector Commander could override them, to a degree.

"Jark is honorable," La'ra stated.

"Too conventional for my usual tastes.  And he seems to think he, rather than I,  run the Triangle Sector," Dar'tel smiled.  "But he's a good man.  Far better than Tor."

La'ra studied the Major.

"Assuming that I didn't wish to spend my shore leave being 'protected' by Imperial Intelligence, what would you want me to do?"

"I haven't thought about it.  I approached you thinking you were working for them."  Dar'tel shrugged.  "Give me a few hours to come up with something."

La'ra nodded and stood.

"Tell me when you've decided on something.  I will not pretend to work for them."

The major frowned.

"That's it?" he asked.

La'ra paused.

"Men I trust believe you to be...." He considered his next words. "...as honorable as your profession allows... and your men seem very loyal to you. I think we have common goals."

The next part was difficult.  "You caught me in a difficult mood, earlier.  I treated you unfairly and without thought."

The spy's amiable face betrayed surprise.

"Thank you," he said.  Blood was again running down his face; he wiped it away.  "You punch harder than Krenn."

"Krenn would have shot you."

Dar'tel laughed. 

"Try and stay away from the Pryn's until I have a plan of action.  Agreed?"

"Agreed."

La'ra left the room.

He'd just left Intelligence territory when a shadow detached from the wall and fell into step beside him.

"He is free," Ran'jar spoke into his communicator, then tucked it away.

La'ra chuckled.

"Reconnaissance?" he asked.

"Yes," the First answered.  If there were any lingering effects from the party, there was no evidence of them on Ran'jar's face.  "Why were you released?"

"I told Dar'tel I'd help him.  To an extent."

Ran'jar's eyes narrowed.

"Why?"

"I judged him unfairly," La'ra admitted.  A cold breeze wafted down the corridor as the climate control systems kicked on.  "Did you bring a shirt?"

"No."  Ran'jar chuckled maliciously.  "This has to do with the Pryn agents."

"Yes," said La'ra.  "He wished me isolated, they are ready to make their approach."

"Crude."

"A bit.  He is quite direct.  I think we may be developing an ally."

"He did kill Colonel Klamek," Ran'jar stated.  "It will take time to tell whether or not he is trustworthy."

La'ra nodded.

"See what you can find out about him.  There may be something that can tell us if he's presenting himself honestly.  If he isn't, there are always the Marines."

Ran'jar grinned, just slightly.

KBF-Frankk

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 10:33:51 am »
 :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :thumbsup:

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 01:52:23 am »
Nice... very Nice...

No scratch that. Greatness is more like it :D.

"See what you can find out about him.  There may be something that can tell us if he's presenting himself honestly.  If he isn't, there are always the Marines."

Ran'jar grinned, just slightly.

Nice visuals. Very nice visuals. No s..... a sh*t you already know what i mean :D

Now gimme more!

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Chapter Five
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 04:20:12 am »
Sorry for the delay, had a busy, busy weekend and picked up a stomach virus while enjoying it!

But I feel much better now. ;D

--------------------

Chapter Five  Chapter Five  Chapter Five  Chapter Five  Chapter Five  Chapter Five  Chapter Five  Chapter Five  Chapter Five

La'ra slept on the Hiv'laposh in order to avoid the Pryns.  He'd stolen six hours of slumber before the Major contacted him.

"I think I have a plan."  Dar'tel informed.  Over the speaker his voice sounded enthusiastic, even chipper.

"Come aboard in half an hour."  La'ra replied.  It took him ten minutes to bathe and dress.  He spent the other twenty seeing what Ran'jar had dug up on Gas'kovan's intelligence chief.

"His record has little to recommend him."  The communication's officer informed as they stalked toward the transporter room.  The ship was largely vacant, and their footsteps echoed.  "Except success.  He has had little credit assigned to his name, but operations proceed smoothly if he is involved."

La'ra was frowning;  his ship was not meant to be empty...  "Did you find anything more...personal?"

Ran'jar shrugged.  "He has made enemies.  Their comments litter his record.  They attack him with their names and preferences, but I'd say he was careful not to give them a more potent weapon."

"Your appraisal?"  La'ra asked.

The First smiled grimly.  "A very dangerous man.  We could do well together, if he is trustworthy."

"We can hope."  La'ra answered, stepping into the transporter room.  He prepared the console.

"He arranged the key testimony at Erel T'sai's trial."  Ran'jar added hastily..

"So we have him to blame for Almondine."  La'ra chuckled and hailed the station.  They answered.  He manipulated the controls, and Major Dar'tel appeared in a columm of crimson light.

"Permission to board, Commander?"  Dar'tel asked, his arms wide.

La'ra snorted.

"They know you were 'arrested'."  said the Major.  "That complicates things."

La'ra narrowed his eyes at Dar'tel.  Ran'jar's gaze hadn't left the intelligence man since he'd appeard on the transporter pad.

"Right, I know, that's my own doing."  Dar'tel confessed.  He scratched absently at his head ridges, paced around La'ra's quarters.  "Just stating how things are."

"You're stalling."  La'ra growled.  He was sitting in a comfortable chair, watching the Major prance.  Ran'jar leaned against a bookshelf, which was fortunately resistant to arctic temperatures.

"I'm explaining."  Dar'tel grinned.  "I'm going to ask you to lie to them.  I was wondering if you'd be comfortable with that."

Ran'jar?s eyes narrowed.  "You were not going to ask that?"

"If we were dealing with Romulans or a cartel who operated like them, yes, I would've.  But Pryn's an odd sort, as I explained to the Commander earlier.  He might appreciate a direct approach; walk up, say 'I don't want your money, I want you to do this for me'.'"

La'ra nodded.  "I could still do that, Major."

Dar'tel shook his head.  "Would you trust you, in their position?  If you'd approached them wanting access to some of Pryn's information instead of the cash?"

"I might."  La'ra considered.  "Though not if I thought someone else coerced me into it.  Rather, I would not trust the one who blackmailed me."

"And his arrest, his refusal of money despite his financial troubles...it would look like coercion."  Ran'jar added.

"Yes."  Dar'tel took a few long strides across the room, hands flying as he spoke.  "But a variation might work.  He goes to them, and tells him he's being blackmailed."

"They would have every reason to say no.  Even if my 'honesty' impressed them, they would not trust you."  La'ra leaned back in his chair.

"I agree, but it's the direction of the request.  Assuming Pryn gathers people around who think like he does...or at least people he expects to anticipate his wishes...the direction makes all the difference.  They owe you a favor...a big one...and asking for their assistance in getting I.I. off your back...well, it might seem like a better deal than handing over latinum."

"It would involve more risk for them."  Ran'jar mentioned.

"More risk from a direction they can anticipate."  Dar'tel elaborated.  "Less risky, in a lot of ways, than La'ra deciding that latinum isn't enough, but he'll cash in the debt sometime in the future...when repayment might involve more than an overzealous intelligence officer."

Ran'jar didn't nod, though he did regard Dar'tel a bit more carefully.

"Information."  La'ra muttered.  "Is a few morsels of Pryn's knowledge really worth the effort?  He'll give you nothing of great value."

Dar'tel smiled wide, and halted his march.  He regarded La'ra.

"I'm not after the information.  I'm after the seeds of a relationship.  If he gives me something I want, and he doesn't get hurt..."  The Major shrugged.

"You wish to build trust...between you and this pirate."  La'ra stated.  "So that in the future, the approach will be easier, the reward you offer in exchange for favors will be considered with less suspicion."

"Exactly!" Dar'tel exclaimed.

"That's why you approached La'ra."  Ran'jar snarled.  "You thought he was in league with Pryn already and could get you in that much further.  You could've presented your requests through one of his own employees."

"Correct, again."  The Major crowed.  Ran'jar eyed him coldy.  Many strong men had retreated from the First's gaze.  Dar'tel merely shrugged.

"I don't have the luxury of honor, at least not the usual kind."

Ran'jar spoke quietly.  "You serve the Empire.  Your wield lies rather than knives, I accept that.  What I wish to know is why you assumed that we were on Pryn's payroll."

La'ra glanced at Ran'jar.  He tried not to smile.

"It seemed logical."  Dar'tel admitted.  "All I had to go on was opinions of your--La'ra's--character.  Some people do not think much of his loyalty."

"The ones that are not his enemy are misled by them."  Ran'jar spat.

"I'm rapidly becoming aware of that."  Dar'tel offered, then looked back to the Commander.  "Is this your revenge for Huk'chal?"

La'ra laughed.  Ran'jar bent an eyebrow.

"One of my guards is not fond of him."  Dar'tel explained to the First.  Ran'jar nodded as the missing piece was presented.  The spy turned back to La'ra.  "That's what I want from you.  Let them approach you, tell them I'm trying to get you to become my 'inside man', and ask them to buy me off with some information instead of paying you."

La'ra nodded.  "You'll be watching."

"Naturally."  Dar'tel chuckled.  "They've found all our usual bugs, but we have other methods.  For your peace of mind, I've drawn up an operational plan that shows your role in this.  You'll be given a copy, as will Jark."

Ran'jar raised an eyebrow.  Dar'tel smiled.

"Internal Security isn't fond of me."  He explained to the First.  "They have nothing against either of you, but in this instance, you're working for me.  Best to have our backs covered."

"Yes."  Ran'jar agreed.

"I have no problems with your battle plan."  La'ra said.  "When shall we begin?"

Dar'tel shrugged.  "They have a few eyes on the station.  They'll know if you're milling around.  Just go have a drink when you're ready, they'll likely make their move."

La'ra nodded.  "I am ready now."

The transporter hummed and sent Major Dar'tel away.  La'ra frowned.  It was impossible to completely trust the man.

Nearby, Ran'jar was speaking into the intercom with a satisfied expression.

"We have a record of the conversation.  Copies have been stored in both the primary and secondary computer cores."  He said, deactivating the com.  "I will prepare datatapes as well."

"Send one to Jark."  La'ra muttered.  Ran'jar nodded.  The Klingons stood silently for a moment.

"We're being paranoid, you know."  La'ra grinned sardonically.  "Dar'tel has told us our backs are covered."

Ran'jar snorted and returned the grin.

"Now."  La'ra said.  "Let's get this over with."

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 04:18:22 am »
The First smiled grimly.  "A very dangerous man.  We could do wel[l together, if he is trustworthy."

Ahhh the futher holds much promise.

Now gimme more drink, women or fights.
(Or if you must more character building.)

;)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Chapter Six
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2004, 11:35:08 am »
I think there's a small discrepancy in this part.  At some point I decided that the Pirate Lord's nephew, rather than his son, had been killed by the Mirak.  Mostly I changed it because I'd already had a grieving father in another story and wanted the whole Pryn thing to have more of a 'La Familia' feel than 'Just plain family'.  The change was made in this part, but not in the others, so if you run across it...well, now you know why it's there.

Lemme know which idea you prefer, too...

----------------------

Chapter Six Chapter Six Chapter Six Chapter Six Chapter Six Chapter Six Chapter Six Chapter Six Chapter Six

La'ra sat in the same bar where Dar'tel had approached him, on nearly the same stool.  He surveyed the crowd.  There were no obvious cartel agents, but he did see Lieutenant--formerly Ensign--Grimbek carousing with a group of women who looked too experienced for him.  La'ra doubted the youngster was here by chance;  Ran'jar had probably asked him to watch over their Commander.

The women were obviously flattering the gunner.  He was laughing a lot, and chuckling whenever one of the wenches touched his shoulder or chest.  La'ra smiled widely and earnestly, then drained his mug of bloodwine.

The bartender had just returned with a refill when the Pryns made their move.

"Commander?" the man asked.  He'd sat down casually next to La'ra, who glanced at him irritably.

"I know some men who would like to speak with you," his visitor claimed, a nervous edge in his voice.  The man was a Klingon, a civilian.  He ran a clothing store on the station concourse.  "Concerning the Sulakai."

The man played with his glass.  He was quiet, probably thinking of what to say.  He had probably asked for a favor, once, and was now repaying it.

La?ra glared, letting his fingers drift towards one of his sidearms.

?I mean no disrespect, My Lord,? the merchant added hastily.  ?They have asked me to convey a request, nothing more.?

?Do not call me ?lord?,? La?ra snarled.  ?Who are these men??

?No one you would know by name, my? Commander,? the merchant assured.  There was some nervousness in his voice, but no other signs of fear.  Klingons, even peddlers, were still Klingons.  ?They told me to tell you? they simply said they wish to talk to you about the Sulakai.?

La?ra let his brow furrow.

?What do they know of it??

?They know you destroyed her, Commander.  They represent a trading house whose interests suffered at the hands of that ship.  I believe they wish to reward you.?

It wasn?t quite a lie, La?ra noted.

?Service to the Empire is reward enough,? La?ra muttered darkly.  ?Now get out of here.?

?My? apologies, Commander, but I must ask you to consider talking to them.?  The man hesitated.  ?They say they are aware of your financial difficulties, and may be able to help.?

La?ra turned away from the merchant and took a sip of his bloodwine.  He didn?t want to appear eager.  He took a moment to reflect on the situation, on Dar?tel.  He kept the scowl on his face.

?I will speak with them.?  He said it quietly, as if humbled.

?I?ll take you too them.?  The merchant sounded relieved. The two men stood and headed for the door.

La?ra?s eyes slid towards Grimbek.  The lieutenant met his gaze.  La?ra nodded slightly and Grimbek turned away.  There was nothing his crew could offer at this point, La?ra realized.  It was an unfamiliar thought.

He followed the peddler out of the bar.

The Pryns had arranged VIP quarters, the kind reserved for wealthy merchants or lower-ranking flag officers.  A General or Governor would?ve gotten better accommodations, but few others.  La?ra chuckled to himself.

There were two men in the room, besides the merchant and himself.  One was a tall Orion, dressed in colorful garb.  The other could?ve been human or maybe Centauran.  He was dressed in gray and surveyed La?ra critically.

It was the Orion who spoke.

?Thank you, Sugh.?  The emerald man?s voice was quiet, measured, almost like a Vulcan?s.  ?You may go.?

The merchant bowed slightly and turned for the door.

?Your debt is now forgotten,? the Orion added.

Sugh blinked and nodded.  He exited the room, standing just a little bit straighter.

?You sent him to get me,? La?ra demanded.  ?Why??

The gray-clad man frowned, his fingers flexing slightly.  The green man smiled carefully.

?To discuss your destruction of the Sulakai, Commander.?  He gestured to a chair.  It looked comfortable, though not particularly expensive.  ?May we sit??

La?ra?s mouth twitched.

?Certainly.?  He sat carefully.  He wore two disruptors, as he often did.  One was smaller, the type issued by the fleet a decade prior.  It was holstered forward of his right hip and he kept his hand near it.

The gray man?s frown deepened.  The Orion eased into his own chair.

?I?d offer you a drink, Commander, but I realize that Klingons do not stand on ceremony.  My name is Qulan.  I represent??

?You represent the Pryn family.?  La?ra grinned slightly.  ?Though only for the past three years.  You?re semi-retired from the Vaereth cartel, but you do Pryn?s bidding on occasion? something to do with a debt the Vaereth owe Jex Pryn.?

The gray man lost all expression.  The Orion, finally, frowned, but the expression vanished before it truly formed.

?You?re rather knowledgeable.?

?I?ve been briefed,? La?ra replied.  He?d actually used his own resources, accessed the information stolen on Melana.  ?Major Dar?tel has taken an interest in both of us.?

?The Intelligence Director,? Qulean remarked.

?Yes.  He told me you represent the Pryn cartel and that you?d be approaching me with talk of a reward.  He demanded that I cooperate with him, and when I refused, he had me arrested.?

?Yes, Rian informed me that you?d been confined.?  The Orion gestured towards the gray-clad man.

?You?re rather knowledgeable yourself, then.?

?We try, Commander.  Before we address the main point, may I ask how you are walking about free?  Imperial Intelligence is not a forgiving organization.?

?They?re far more forgiving than Internal Security.?

?Ah.  And the Major threatened to turn the matter over to them? our presence, whatever data he?d collected on our objective? he threatened to paint you as a traitor before you?d even met us face to face.?

?Yes.?

?Rather ruthless, this Major Dar?tel, even by my people?s standards.  You obviously agreed to his terms.?

?I had little choice.?

?So it appears.?  Qulan was smiling again.  The Orion?s eyes were lavender and quite sharp.

The gray-clad man?Rian?watched La?ra warily.

?So what were his demands??

?Initially, that I take whatever you offered, allow you to tie a few strands around me.  I was to use whatever influence I could accrue to get him a meeting with your employer.  He changed his mind when he realized how resistant I was.?

?Why??

?Apparently only volunteers are truly adept at such things.?

The Orion considered.  ?Or those sufficiently blackmailed.?

?Or those,? La?ra agreed.  ?He didn't feel I was sufficiently blackmailed.?

?He has enemies in Internal Security, and his evidence would?ve been fabricated.  He was correct.?

La?ra smirked.  ?Yes.  Instead, I am to refuse whatever you?ve brought and say that I wish a favor instead.  That favor is merely an audience with your employer.?

Qulan nodded slowly.  He was silent for a stretch.  His mouth moved as he considered.  Behind him, Rian shuffled from one foot to the other as he stared harshly at La?ra.

?That could possibly be arranged.  I believe my employer would regard your situation as unfortunate following your destruction of the Sulakai.  His grief over the loss of his nephew was extreme.  Your victory did much for his spirits.?

La?ra smiled.  He was forming a response when Lian stepped forward.  The gray-clad man tapped Qulan on the shoulder.  They leaned close and whispered.

The Orion nodded.

?Will you grant us a moment, Commander??

La?ra nodded.  The Pryns moved away.  They stood in the far corner of the room, talking in hushed voices.

The ?offer? was about to be rejected.  La?ra could feel it in his stomach.  He hadn?t realized that he was hoping for success, and the defeat he was sensing was sour.  Why had he cared?  He examined the question for minutes, still keeping an eye on his hosts.  He had not found an answer by the time they returned.

?Commander??  Qulan sat.  There was a greater rigidity to his features.  He?d been somewhat expressive.  Off behind him, Lian seemed relieved.  ??I regret to say that providing that particular favor may not be possible.?

La?ra frowned.  He would play along, continue his maneuvers though the battle was finished.  ?That? puts me in a precarious position.?

?Yes, Commander.  However, Major Dar?tel has many enemies, as I said.  I?m sure if you could meet with a couple of them, they could provide assistance.?  The Orion glanced at Rian.  ?My employer realizes his debt, however.  If the Major persists, we will contact some of the director?s adversaries on your behalf.  We had meant to offer monetary reward.  I believe that supplying it would only strengthen the Director?s story.?

?I agree.  I would? appreciate the assistance, if it turns out to be necessary.?

?It?s unfortunate that other parties became interested, Commander.  Our relationship could?ve been rewarding.  You realize, though, that the security of my employer is of primary interest.?

La?ra nodded.

?I understand.?

He left the Pryns feeling thwarted.  Dar?tel intercepted him within minutes.

?It did not work,? La?ra informed.

?I heard.?  The major?s tone was subdued.  ?You did pretty well.  I might?ve believed you.?

La?ra frowned, unsure of the compliment.

?What will you do?? the commander asked.  ?Arrest them??

?No.  No point.  Your conversation told us a few things I didn?t know.  Maybe I can use them.  Shake their tree a little later and see if I can get their attention.?

?Seems like a lot of effort for a few scraps.?

?Scraps are how I fill my table, Commander.  A bit here, a bit there.?

?I would not have the patience.?

Dar?tel chuckled quietly.  ?Normally I don?t either.?

Offline Lara

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2004, 12:14:20 pm »
It ends there? NO NO NONONO. 

Not happy not not.

Oh... can I have ran'jar?

:-*

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2004, 01:14:25 pm »
mmm that was not what i expected. Nice.

I don't mind the change to a nephew but not a lot of men would go to these lengths for their nephew imho. We'll see how this will work out won't we?

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2004, 05:42:00 am »
mmm that was not what i expected. Nice.

Always makes me happy when I can surprise someone! ;D

I don't mind the change to a nephew but not a lot of men would go to these lengths for their nephew imho. We'll see how this will work out won't we?

I'm sort of giving out hints about Jex Pryn's 'character' in this story.  Sooner or later he'll have to make an appearance and this is one of the pieces I'm hoping will make ya' anticipate it a bit.

Lara:  It doesn't end there.  There's one more chapter, which I'm about to post.  And Ran'jar is still married.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Final Chapter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2004, 05:50:00 am »
This is really more of an epilogue or a coda than another chapter, but...here it be...

-------------------

Chapter Seven Chapter Seven Chapter Seven Chapter Seven Chapter Seven Chapter Seven Chapter Seven

?Major Dar?tel has asked me to relay his thanks to you on an official level,? Jark droned in his usual monotone.

?He was welcome, after some initial difficulties, My Lord,? La?ra responded.  He was giving his final report before his leave officially began.  His ship was ready for the dock workers.

?I find that the Major?s personality does not always elicit cooperation.?  The brigadier went on.  ?It's a common thing with Intelligence officers. We do not always have the most amiable relationship with his organization.  I consider your cooperation a hopeful sign that some rapport between us is being built.?

?Yes, My Lord.?

?Two other items bear mentioning.  The Hiv?laposh will be given slightly different orders when you next put to space? you?ve been conducting unrestricted patrols, yet your operational directives technically limited your area of operations.?

?We did request permission when??

Jark raised a palm.  La?ra grumbled inwardly, but fell silent.

?Your operations area will now be, officially, unrestricted.  It?s a small point, but the responsibilities you are actually dealing with should be credited to you.  I found that your performance was being criticized by Oversector Command based on your roving out of your assigned area.  This change will remove that annoyance.?

La?ra sat a little straighter.  ?I? see, sir.?

Jark nodded.  ?Assigning a battlecruiser to a limited patrol zone is a waste of resources in any case.  Your new orders also specify that you?re to conduct exercises with Captain Krenn on a regular basis.  You?ll receive this all in writing following your leave, but foreknowledge leads to victory.?

?Yes, My Lord.?  La?ra regarded his superior.  He was beginning to trust the brigadier.  He?d trusted before and been wounded because of it.  He hoped it wouldn?t happen that way with Jark.

?The other issue surprised me,? Jark continued.  ?Oversector Command has informed me that they?ve reconsidered two of your promotion requests.  Your First and your sensor chief.?

La?ra?s eyes widened.  It took long moments for the news to penetrate.  He smiled incredulously.

?Apparently there was some form of mistake,? said the brigadier.

?They deserve the promotion, Brigadier.?

?They do.  Enjoy your leave, Commander.?

La?ra carefully folded his hunting leathers and packed them into a duffle.  He was not allowed to leave the system, but the fifth moon of Gas?kovan VI was lush and untamed.  The last time he?d visited the satellite, he?d been eradicating pirates and had paid little attention to its flora and fauna. Little escaped Ran?jar, however, and the Lieutenant Commander had noted plentiful game.  He?d also insisted on a hunting trip and had invited the entire command staff.  All had accepted, save Ker?lan.  The doctor was attending some kind of crafts festival.

The door buzzer gave its interesting cry.  La?ra frowned.  He was the only person onboard the Hiv?laposh, so far as he knew.  The dock crews took over in an hour.  He scooped up a disruptor, unlocked the door from the control pad by the bed.

?Enter.?

The door opened.  Dar?tel walked in.  He wore full Intelligence stormtrooper regalia, black armor shining.  There was a bottle of bloodwine in his hand.

?Ah,? the major said, glancing at the disruptor.  ?Always prepared??

The spy?s eyes surveyed the room.  They paused on the large crossbow resting on the bed.  It was La?ra?s newest acquisition.

??for anything.  Planning on killing me silently??

?Planning on hunting,? La?ra chuckled.  ?My science officer owns one.  I?ve seen it tear through good body armor.?

?Isn?t she a Lieutenant (First) now??  Dar?tel asked with a grin.

?She is,? La?ra confirmed.  ?I didn?t expect that.?

The intelligence man shrugged.  ?You honored your part of the deal.  Result wasn?t important.?

La?ra nodded.  Dar?tel kept talking.

?In the meantime, I figured you deserved an update.  We tracked our Pryn friends back to Pashan V.  Set up surveillance operations.  Won?t get us too much, they tend to expect being watched, but time will tell.  You have glasses??

?Top cabinet on the left.  You came to convince me to part with some of my information.?

Dar?tel retrieved a pair of mugs, filled them to the lip with thick bloodwine.  ?Okay, I?m transparent.?

?Yes.? 

?We can?t all be masters of deception.?  He handed La?ra a stein, then guzzled most of his own.

?I suppose not,? La?ra chuckled.  He reached into his duffle, found the datacard he?d tucked into his hunting gear.  He tossed it.

Dar?tel caught the thing.  The major eyed it suspiciously.

?It?s not all of it,? said La?ra.  ?It?s not even most of it.  I found some information I cannot act on, collected bits I thought were useless.?

?Scraps from the pile.?

?Yes.?  La?ra grinned.

Dar?tel laughed.  ?Wasn?t expecting this to be so easy.?

?It?s not as easy as it seems.  I have more information.  I?ll probably give you some whenever I need another officer promoted.?

?You, Commander, are a manipulative moq?ja.  Probably why Jark tried to have you promoted.  I thought he was just following a trend.?

La?ra blinked.

?Jark???

?Yes.  They turned it down.  Something about venturing out of your patrol area.  Targh sh*t.?

La?ra nodded slowly.  He took a long drink of bloodwine.  ?He did not inform me.?

?Probably didn?t want to elevate your hopes.  You didn?t tell your First, either.?

?I didn?t.?

Dar?tel studied his datacard.  He flipped the object through his fingers as if it were a toy.

?I think, Commander, that our relationship could prove profitable.?

?It?s possible,? La?ra chuckled.  ?Though perhaps not terribly effective.  The Pryns did not take the bait.?

Dar?tel refilled his stein.  La?ra took the bottle, topped off his own glass.

?Maybe they didn?t.  But an ally with a battlecruiser cannot be a bad thing.?

?Nor can an ally with resources such as your own.?

?Quite true.?  Dar?tel raised his glass.  ?To utter defeats, may they all leave us richer!?

La?ra laughed.

?To utter defeats!?

The two Klingons slammed their mugs together and drank.

End

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2004, 08:11:16 am »

this cannot be true! Where is my slaughter and mayhem?!
You are missing key elements here. Let's walk through the list:
Alcohol  Check 
Sex  Check 
Combat  ... 
Deaths  ... 
Victory  ... 
New Allies  Check 

3/6 ...sjeejs

ps.: j/k
Nice finish. But a bit too short imho. Gimme More

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2004, 08:22:42 am »

this cannot be true! Where is my slaughter and mayhem?!
You are missing key elements here. Let's walk through the list:
Alcohol  Check 
Sex  Check 
Combat  ... 
Deaths  ... 
Victory  ... 
New Allies  Check 

3/6 ...sjeejs

Damnit, Grim.  I was eating chicken soup when I read this.  It was quite hot and thus when I began guffawing in laughter I snorted it out both nostrils.  That hurt!

ps.: j/k
Nice finish. But a bit too short imho. Gimme More

I actually do have to run back through this and change/add a couple of small things.  The ending seemed a bit abrupt to me while writing it, but after tinkering with it for quite a while I can't figure out how to fix it and not mess up the flow.  Any suggestions are most welcome.

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2004, 01:52:47 pm »
Damnit, Grim.  I was eating chicken soup when I read this.  It was quite hot and thus when I began guffawing in laughter I snorted it out both nostrils.  That hurt!

Sorry ;D ;D

I actually do have to run back through this and change/add a couple of small things.  The ending seemed a bit abrupt to me while writing it, but after tinkering with it for quite a while I can't figure out how to fix it and not mess up the flow.  Any suggestions are most welcome.

It's not exacly that the ending is too abrupt, it's just that it was not a tale like any of the others. No ship combat for instance. Only small roles for the crew is another. And of course the length itself. Which is mucho shorter then the others. I wouldn't change too much i'd rather use this one as a sort of There and back again - a Hobbits tale. Enter setting, some characters and a feel of the situation and exploit it for the grand story.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2004, 08:28:45 pm »
It's not exacly that the ending is too abrupt, it's just that it was not a tale like any of the others. No ship combat for instance. Only small roles for the crew is another. And of course the length itself. Which is mucho shorter then the others. I wouldn't change too much i'd rather use this one as a sort of There and back again - a Hobbits tale. Enter setting, some characters and a feel of the situation and exploit it for the grand story.

When I started this one I was trying to do something different, so I'm actually glad it doesn't feel like any of the other La'ra stories.  It's also meant to add something to the series of stories as a whole rather than be a stand-alone tale like most of the others, so it's supposed to be doing what you suggested.

I do regret that some of the other characters didn't get as much 'screen time' in this one, but this one is a pure 'La'ra story' in a lot of ways, as opposed to a tale of the Hiv'laposh.  Hopefully the rest of the posse will get more to do in the next one.