Topic: Freely available and legal software.  (Read 135503 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Freely available and legal software.
« Reply #380 on: May 21, 2014, 09:36:49 am »
Another good Linux version.

Netrunner

KDE Plasma Desktop
Firefox – Browser
Thunderbird – Email
VLC – Media Player
LibreOffice – Office Suite
Skype – Voice over IP
Steam – Gaming Platform
VirtualBox – Computer Emulation
WINE – Windows Emulation

Favorites

Clementine – Music Player
Transmission – BitTorrent-Client
Telepathy – Social Chat client
Pidgin – Messenging Client
Kdenlive – Video Editor
Gimp – Image Editor
Krita – Pixel Paint Program
Karbon – Vector Program
Gwenview – Image Viewer

Firefox Add-Ons:

KDE file-/mimetype integration
Flash/Java
AdblockPlus
Downloadhelper
Add to Search Bar

I've been using an old version of this for a while.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #381 on: May 30, 2014, 07:28:10 pm »
Using Netrunner on my Netbook now (the Windows 7 inside sticker came off quite easily).  While it was installing from the live thumbdrive I was able to surf the net, post here and watch youtube videos on the netbook.  I don't think Windows can do that.   :popcorn: :rofl: :popcorn:

Installed at work actually on Wednesday and it has been working just fine since. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #382 on: June 16, 2014, 02:49:12 pm »
There is a category of free software I have just realized we don't have.  Mobile apps for Android, IOS and Windows Phone.  If anyone has such to recommend feel free to do so. 

This site  Has a lot of freesoftware reviews. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #383 on: January 26, 2015, 09:19:22 am »
free pascal - Open source compiler for Pascal and Object Pascal

Overview

Free Pascal is a 32, 64 and 16 bit professional Pascal compiler. It can target multiple processor architectures: Intel x86, AMD64/x86-64, PowerPC, PowerPC64, SPARC, and ARM. Supported operating systems include Linux, FreeBSD, Haiku, Mac OS X/iOS/Darwin, DOS, Win32, Win64, WinCE, OS/2, MorphOS, Nintendo GBA, Nintendo DS, and Nintendo Wii. Additionally, JVM, MIPS (big and little endian variants), i8086 and Motorola 68k architecture targets are available in the development versions.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #384 on: January 26, 2015, 08:12:59 pm »
For the life of me I hated Pascal.  I even lked Assembler (a little) better than Pascal.  I remember someone in my CS2 class made a C++ to Pascal converter program so he could write all of his work in C++.  Strangely the program wasn't that big.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #385 on: January 27, 2015, 08:14:51 pm »
Like Basic Pascal was originally written as a teaching language rather than a general purpose one so it has been used in ways the author did not intend.  Others added things on not necessarily in the same style which could have worked to make it less appealing though it has had a fairly long and somewhat illustrious career.  .  (Never tried Pascal myself).

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #386 on: January 27, 2015, 09:36:59 pm »
All I can say is try and I guarantee that you will never use the words Pascal and illustrious in the same sentence again.  lol

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #387 on: February 22, 2015, 01:30:43 pm »
Lazarus

What is Lazarus?

Lazarus is a Delphi compatible cross-platform IDE for Rapid Application Development. It has variety of components ready for use and a graphical form designer to easily create complex graphical user interfaces.

Lazarus
The professional Free Pascal RAD IDE

Cross platform
    Drag & Drop Form Designer
    Open source (GPL/LGPL)
    Delphi converter

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #388 on: May 18, 2015, 07:39:47 pm »
ELGG - Social Networking Framework

About

Elgg is an award-winning open source social networking engine that provides a robust framework on which to build all kinds of social environments, from a campus wide social network for your university, school or college or an internal collaborative platform for your organization through to a brand-building communications tool for your company and its clients.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #389 on: June 19, 2017, 03:35:41 pm »
HandBrake
The open source video transcoder

HandBrake is a tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs.

Reasons you’ll love HandBrake:

Convert video from nearly any format
    Free and Open Source
    Multi-Platform (Windows, Mac and Linux)