Topic: New question for Debate: Best Klingon Commander.  (Read 6564 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
New question for Debate: Best Klingon Commander.
« on: December 23, 2004, 05:21:22 pm »
I was Just re-watching ST3 and got to thinking of all the klingons out there, I like Capt. Kruge the Best. Christopher lloyd really did a Good job IMHO.

what say you all?

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline IndyShark

• Last Knight Standing of the late, great KNF, Member GDA
  • Lt. Commander
  • Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
Re: New question for Debate: Best Klingon Commander.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 05:55:39 pm »
I didn't like Kruge at all. I liked General Martok on Deep Space Nine. He has also done a few other roles in Star Trek and done all of them very well.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 06:59:16 pm »
Martok was pretty awesome, but before Kang, Klingons were just bad guys with fuzzy chins.  He, and Mara, added a lot of personality to the race.

Kor, on the other hand, started it all.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 07:04:05 pm »
Kor.

Unless I can give my real choice - ME !
 :rofl:
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 07:48:03 pm »
I vote for Kor: his sheer ruthlessness and pure evil is unbeaten by any other Klingon, and is only slightly less oily than Koloth.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 08:05:36 pm »
Kor.  Not only did he confront and would likely have killed Kirk on Organia, but he went on to find the Sword of Kahless and die in glorious battle against the Jem'Hadar.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline FPF-SCM_TraceyG_XC

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 12:43:19 am »
Best Klingon Commander would be Kang. He had a good leadership style, even if he was not the quintessential Klingon that Krueg is or Kor.
Captain FPF-TraceyG, Federation Protection Fleet

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA
Member of XenoCorp, Squadron Commodore

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 04:27:42 pm »
   I would say the secound best would be General Mortok the way he fought the Jem' Hadar and ended up with one eye is a true Warrior Spirit.That is my Klingon alter ego though.

Ravok

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 11:27:35 am »
 Im personally going to have to go with Kor.

KnightAdvancer

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 07:22:30 pm »
Chang! What can I say? Cunning, wears an eye patch, quotes Shakespeare.

Ravok

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 07:34:23 pm »
I had a hard time deciding, Chang was at the top of my list because he knew what he was, and did not make any excuses for it.
 Old school Klingon to the end.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 08:04:10 pm »
What did you think of Chancellor Gorkon, then?

He was the head of Klingon government, experienced a humiliating accident on Praxis, and had to come on less imposing terms than I'm sure he would otherwise have liked to the united homo sapiens only club of planets for assistance.  Being a leader of Klingons, I'm also sure he knew he was in somebody's disruptor sights for what he wanted to do.  Anyway, even Chang reluctantly obeyed him after a pounding or two of his staff on the floor.

Ravok

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 08:28:21 pm »
What did you think of Chancellor Gorkon, then?

He was the head of Klingon government, experienced a humiliating accident on Praxis, and had to come on less imposing terms than I'm sure he would otherwise have liked to the united homo sapiens only club of planets for assistance.  Being a leader of Klingons, I'm also sure he knew he was in somebody's disruptor sights for what he wanted to do.  Anyway, even Chang reluctantly obeyed him after a pounding or two of his staff on the floor.

You know E look thats a good question.

I guess its how you look at it. which is acceptable to you personally?  Asking for help and humiliating your self to survive........ Or fighting for life no matter the costs.

I guess its really boils down to personality and perception.

I can only speak for my self and i am a very proud person. I would probally fight and live the way i wanted to.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2004, 09:44:13 pm »
It seems to me, from what I've said in the previous post of mine, that I'd hold Gorkon in as high esteem as I would Kor.

I think the character of Kor, if he were Chancellor in the same shoes, would stomp up and down in them, yell and scream, slap and punch a few underlings, curse the Federation for a few hours, and then brazenly but disdainfully request help in a way that would almost sound demanding, just to save a few percent of face.

Ravok

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 09:48:53 pm »
It seems to me, from what I've said in the previous post of mine, that I'd hold Gorkon in as high esteem as I would Kor.

I think the character of Kor, if he were Chancellor in the same shoes, would stomp up and down in them, yell and scream, slap and punch a few underlings, curse the Federation for a few hours, and then brazenly but disdainfully request help in a way that would almost sound demanding, just to save a few percent of face.

To me that sounds like an accptable Kilngon compromise to me. At least you don't just sit there and beg.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2004, 11:25:05 pm »
My take on Gorkon is that he was aware that his responsibility was to his people, not to himself.  He knew his actions would make himself a target, and took them anyway.

To me, that means he was more concerned with honor...real honor...than face.

Chang feared what was coming from Gorkon's chosen course, and instead of honorably supporting his leader in ensuring his people's survival he let his own pride delude him.  I think he's a sympathetic character...he felt what he was doing was right...but he let fear of change guide his actions.  Gorkon, the braver man, did not.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Julin Eurthyr

• Veltrassi Ambassador at Large
  • Lt. Commander
  • Back in Exile due to Win 7 - ISC RM/Strat Com.
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2005, 08:38:23 am »
Best Klingon by series:

TOS: Kor.  He had it all.  Every Klingon since then was a lot more one-dimensional than Kor ever was.
TMP: The leader of the D7's at the beginning of TMP... ;)
TNG:  Gowron - the Klink that "used" Picard and the crew of the Enterprise-D to get himself escalated to Chancellor.  Every other Klingon in TMP was more concerned about their new "honor" stuff instead of bettering the Empire...

AKA: Koloth Kinshaya - Lord of the House Kinshaya in the Klingon Empire
S'Leth - Romulan Admiral
Some anonymous strongman in Prime Industries

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Lord High Master of Justice
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2005, 01:49:47 pm »
I was Just re-watching ST3 and got to thinking of all the klingons out there, I like Capt. Kruge the Best. Christopher lloyd really did a Good job IMHO.

what say you all?

stephen

Dear God save us.   Every time I see that movie and he opens his mouth, all I can see is Reverend Jim and hear:  "okkkeee doke."

Chang rocked.  He knew what he was, and died like he lived.  Klingon to the end.  It isn't so much the manner in which a man lives, but the manner in which he faces death in which his true character is shown.

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 02:42:22 pm »
Kolath.

I like the idea that a Klingon could be sneaky when he needed to. There are a lot more ways to be a warrior than to hack away needlessly at someone in a straight-up fight that you would probably loose.

Kolath had cunning.
Kolath was a master of sarcasm.
Kolath had panache.

Chang had an eyepatch.
Kruge had a DeLorian in the shuttlebay.
All the other Klingon captians were slobbering brutes.

No contest for me.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Lord_Sloth

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2005, 05:53:23 pm »
I'm gonna say Chang for comander. He was knew the job through and through. A true Klingon even in the end. Unlike most who cower or plea in the face of death, he simple accpted it. Kirk had bested him and that's what all true warriors seek. A good fight. He wanted 1 and he got 1.
"People are Stupid. They'll feel better as long as someone is punished."
~Rufus Shinra FFVII

Official Hater of Parma Eruseen.