Topic: The Miners of the Stars  (Read 29705 times)

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
Re: The Miners of the Stars
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2005, 09:33:07 am »
However, one small nit: I have a crappy memory but I think someone once said in canon that Klingon disrupters don't have a stun setting. Even more so I can distinctly remember a very very rotflmao story that was called something like "set disruptors to stun" or something like it. It was hilarious.

I don't think that's ever been stated in canon, but I could be wrong.  I'm pretty sure it's a SFB thing.  If not...well, my Klingons do have stun settings.  How better to capture foes so that you can place them in the mind sifter? ;D

That story belong to Captain Krenn, btw, and yeah, it was damned funny.:)

You know where to get that story? Or CK for that matter? Since the rest is returning to this warm nest perhaps he's willing too?

I don't know about cannon, but if you like Diane Carey's work, disruptors have three stun settings, though one is only nominally a stun setting, as a person stunned with it will die slowly and painfully without swift treatment. This is mentioned in Battlestations. The other two, a light and a heavy stun are true stun settings, and like phaser stuns, at close range, heavy stun may possibly be lethal.

I haven't read any star trek books involving established aliens and only a few books (+/- 5) others. So got any recommendations? (Klingons are +)
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2005, 10:17:22 am »
You know where to get that story? Or CK for that matter? Since the rest is returning to this warm nest perhaps he's willing too?

Haven't heard from Krenn, lately, but several of his stories are up on Scottish Andy's site.  I think that's one of 'em.

I haven't read any star trek books involving established aliens and only a few books (+/- 5) others. So got any recommendations? (Klingons are +)

Finding good Trek books involves a lot of guesswork in my opinion.  There's a lot of good stuff, but there's also a lot of utter crap that Pocket Books has put out.  I honestly prefer the efforts from the 80's, as they were less picky about canon and the writers got to play around more.  While that led to silliness such as Vulcans being 'the perfect race' in some writer's novels, it also led other authors to do some really compelling riffs on the STU.

I strongly, strongly recommend John M. Ford's The Final Reflection.  It's a Klingon-centric novel that was written long before TNG, and hence the Klingons are presented in a much different way than they are in fiction written since then.  It's also where Krenn got his forum name.:)  I think you'd enjoy it, it's probably the best Trek novel that's ever been written.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2005, 10:22:44 am »
Hey Grim, if you're interested, you can find Captain Krenn's excellent Set Disruptors on 'Stun' here, on my site:

http://www.starbase23.net/Stories-Krenn-13Stun.html

If you further desire, you can peruse my entire site from

http://www.starbase23.net/

Happy reading!

PS: Larry, I'll do a post on your story later. Running out of time here, gotta get to work.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2005, 12:26:51 pm »
Hey Grim, if you're interested, you can find Captain Krenn's excellent Set Disruptors on 'Stun' here, on my site:

http://www.starbase23.net/Stories-Krenn-13Stun.html

If you further desire, you can peruse my entire site from

http://www.starbase23.net/

Hell yeah I just forgot you have one Thx

And thx Larry I'll check my local comic/dnd/scifi shop
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2005, 12:02:46 am »
The book 'Battlestations' sucked monkey ballz.

Yes many Trek books are guess work. Some, which are otherwise good, overstress the authors opinion of their own thoughts of 'how things work'.  This isn't always bad, but if overused, mar an otherwise good read. I have only read a few chapters thusly, but I sujest the new Star Trek: Vanguard series. The first book is called 'Harbringer' and it is about a Federation Starbease in Kirk's era. The author uses a little of Commodore Decker, and I always love such things.

About Leral's response, I like! Sense a bit of Ron'jar in her practicality, but then, if Ron'jar had done it, the kid wouldn't be getting back up, would he...?

PS, RL: If you read this before I get to speak with you RL, I'm hoping to continue Corpus Christi saturday. Didn't think you'ld mind, given you've practically begged (not really) me for it every time we've talked in the last month. DanBo and Kenny will be in attendance.

--thu guv'!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline Lara

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2005, 10:18:24 am »

:-*
I love this. keep it coming.

xxxooo
lara

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Interlude
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2005, 07:56:09 pm »
Will post the next full chapter tomorrow.  For now though, here's the little interlude bit that comes before it.

----------------

Interlude

The Thing had settled into a welcome slumber when it heard the voice.

The Visitors, it decided.  It was right that they were speaking to it.  They asked it things; how fast it was going, what direction.  They even asked about the Other.  None of those required The Thing to wake up, which pleased it.

Then they said ‘stop’.

The Thing knew that Visitors often asked it to stop.  It also knew that it was supposed to ask for the Word.  The Word meant that it should do anything Visitors wanted. 

It asked for the Word.  There was no response.

The Thing couldn’t remember what it was supposed to do when the Word was not given, so it asked again, louder.

"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2005, 09:10:19 pm »
Louder?

...ouch...
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Chapter Nine
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2005, 10:29:02 pm »
Actually, since that part is now done, I'll just post it now and post the rest of the story (as in, it's finished) tomorrow.

----------------

Chapter Nine

Huk reached for her.  Leral waved her away.  She’d managed to stop screaming.  The voice in her skull still boomed like artillery fire.

I don’t know what you want!  She thought.  The voice boomed again.

Her mind raced.  What’d she done to bring on the voice?  Why had it reacted?

She’d tried to stop the thing.  She’d told it to stop.  There was something demanding when the voice spoke.

It wants a password! She realized.

The voice spoke again.  It was the same question, but quieter.

Cancel command, She thought. I don’t want you to stop right now.

She waited.  The voice didn’t speak again.

“The system…the navigation system needs a password…” She explained.  She realized she was laying on the floor on front of the console.  She struggled to her feet.  Standing felt ridiculously slow with the link active.

Huk was helping her.  “Try engineering systems?  Maybe you can reduce power.”

Leral nodded, thought of doing that.  Again the words in front of her eyes, listing another menu.

Reduce power.  She requested.  She heard the voice again, hastily cancelled the command.

“That’s protected too.  I can’t understand the language it’s speaking in.”

“Part of the translation software is probably infected.”  Said Huk.  Leral sighed.  She had the glimmer of an idea.

I can’t understand what you’re saying.  This is an emergency.

The sop’nagh was silent.

Emergency.  Can’t understand.

She suddenly felt…helpless.  Incapable.  She needed to do something.  She needed to help, but didn’t know how.  No one would tell her how.  She didn’t now. Why wouldn’t anyone tell her? She wanted to…

She tried to force the feelings away.  Klingons could not cry.  Instead she howled, slamming a fist onto the console.  Her howl tapered off into a snarl when she realized just how odd, how childlike the feelings were.

Despite the flood of defeat, she smiled.

We need help.  We came to look at you.  We fixed things.  That wasn’t a lie.  She didn’t dare lie to something that was hooked up to her brain.  We don’t have the word.  We didn’t think we’d need it.

Helplessness was replaced with suspicion.  She had ideas that people were coming to steal her food, to make her unable to eat.

No. She thought.  We fixed you.  At first we couldn’t talk to you.  Now we can.  There was something wrong with your brain.

Her emotions settled.  They were all her own, now.  The sop’nagh’s presence tickled her mind, as if, perhaps, it were considering something.

An image of the Hiv’laposh flashed through her head.

Yes.  We came from there.  They’re following so we can go back.

More suspicion.  Images of other ships, some Klingon, many not, firing.  Memories of damage taken, slowly repaired.  She noted that, unlike most of its kind, this sop’nagh had usually fled its attackers.  One Romulan frigate had cornered it in a dense asteroid field, though, where it could not run.  The result was unfortunate for the Romulans.

Leral chuckled.  She’d have to tell the First about that.

We haven’t attacked you.  We’re not going to attack you.  She hoped she was right.  The Commander would be planning some way of slowing the sop’nagh down.  It’d likely involve disruptor fire.

Doubt crept in.

Why would we fix you, then attack you?

Another moment of consideration.  Guarded belief tickled her brain, helplessness returned.

Slow down, open the hatchways, let us leave.  She requested.  We’ll need…fifteen minutes.

A firm figure planted itself in her mind.  Around her, the rumble of the stone eater’s workings reduced in volume.  Huk and Meran were looking around.  Some kind of alarm was ringing.

“Helmets!” She yelled, yanking the interface off her head.  She pulled her own helmet on, sealed it, made sure of the air supply.  She gave K’tal a fearful look.  Rinbar had sealed the Ensign's before tending to his own.  She nodded.

“Help me with him.”  She pulled the unconscious Marine up, slid her shoulder up under her armpit.  Rinbar, case of explosives and all, siezed his other arm.  The air was thinning fast.  She hoped that meant the doors would open soon.

“It’ll go back to warp in five minutes.”  She informed as her team went toward the exit.  “It doesn’t trust us.”

The five Klingons lumbered up the maintenance tunnel, gear rattling, their helmets fogging as they struggled to move quickly despite their magnetic footwear.  Huk and Meran were trying not to draw ahead.

“Go on.”  Leral ordered. 

The two scientists looked at her dubiously.

“Did I say please?  Get clear, call the ship.”  She barked.  Her two subordinates turned reluctantly and broke into a lumbering run.

“Should have left the explosives.”  Rinbar muttered.  They marched forward, lugging K’tal between him.  He was weightless, but bulky.

“Should have had Meran give him a stimulant.”  The Lieutenant countered.  Their boots clomped heavily against the deck.  K’tal moaned.

Up ahead, Huk and Meran entered the airlock.  Leral estimated the distance, the speed that she and Rinbar were moving. According her the readout on her helmet visor, they had two minutes..

She decided that, when a minute remained, she’d send Rinbar ahead without her.

Another thirty seconds of effort had them at the exit.  She gazed at the hatch.  Huk and Meran had obeyed orders; they weren’t waiting for her.

“Go first, I’ll shove him up towards you.”  She instructed Rinbar.  The demo man nodded and released K’tal.  Despite his early statement, he didn’t shrug off his case of explosives.  He squirmed out the hatch.

Leral pushed K’tal toward the opening.  Rinbar siezed the Marine’s arms.  Wrestling him out of the hatch took longer than she liked.  They had forty-five seconds left.

She clambered up out of the hatch.  Rinbar was waiting, holding K’tal.  She siezed the Marine again.

“Ready?”  She asked.  Rinbar nodded.  “Now.”

They shoved the Marine away.  His semi-conscious form spun upward, away from the sop’nagh.  Leral deactivated her boots, crouched carefully, and leapt.

She hadn’t had time to notice the ill effects that zero gravity aroused in her during the run up the tunnel.  The perception returned as she flew up from the stone eater, her stomach doing it’s best to turn inside out.  She managed not to vomit, but her head swum.  She wasn’t spinning, so far as she could tell, but it felt as if she were.

She told herself to focus.  She checked to see if Rinbar was with her.  He was, floating away from her.  Apparently his jump had been more forceful.  Huk’s voice droned in her ears, calling to the Hiv’laposh. Below her, the dull grey shape of the stone eater sat quietly.  The time limit expired, yet the sop’nagh remained.

For the sake of curiousity, Leral measured the time until the giant went to warp.  Six minutes passed, then seven.  Finally, there was a blur of motion, and the stone eater was gone.

Leral smiled.

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2005, 02:05:33 am »
So it did trust her in the end. Actions speak louder than words. I like the thing not being a mindless thing with robotic tendencies like in mainstream movies. Kudos La'ra

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2005, 07:23:53 am »
Exceptionaly good, even for your obvious skill. I had bad feelings about the eventual outcome for the stone eater. Was glad to see there was no need to kill it to get off of it. But what of its future? Will there be wrap-up scenes?

--thu guv'!

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Chapter Ten
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2005, 08:57:07 am »
Indeed there are, guv'nah.  And yeah, Grim.  I didn't want to have it be some big robot...but I didn't want to do the oh-so-obvious 'fully intelligent malevolent lifeform' thing either.

----------------------------------

Chapter Ten

“So it was intelligent?”  asked Commander La’ra.

“It wasn’t sentient.”  Leral explained.  They sat in her laboratory.  Huk and Meran were busying themselves in other parts of the room.  There was a flagon of bloodwine on the table, a small reward for a mostly successful mission.  “It seemed…aware, but not given to complex thought.”

The Commander sipped some bloodwine.

“So will the science council be naming anything after you this time?”

She smiled.  “I doubt it.  All we did was confirm that those things are artificially constructed and discover an interesting way to construct a computer system.”

“You said it felt alive.”  La’ra reminded.

“Yes.  That doesn’t seem consistent with the idea of artificial construction.”

“I like to think we’ve discovered something new, then.”  The Commander said, taking a sip of his wine.  “Even if the Science Council doesn’t take note of it. And we may be able to locate their homeworld.  That’s worth investigating.”

“Yes, sir, but…its course didn’t take it through any known star systems.  It could have been headed out of the galaxy.”

La’ra shrugged.  “Small steps.  How did your team perform?”

Leral looked up from her drink.  The Commander’s eyes were concealing something.  He’d heard, then, even though she’d told everyone to keep K’tal’s little mutiny quiet.  She hadn’t elaborated on his dazed state when the Hiv’laposh had beamed them aboard.  He’d recovered enough that his being stunned hadn’t been too apparent.

La’ra was giving her a choice, she decided.  She had made it already.

“Quite well.”  She said.

The Commander studied her.

“Make sure and put that in writing.  Perhaps there’ll be commendations.”  He said, and smiled.

“I will, Commander.”

“He’s alone?” 

“Helping me run a post-flight on the shuttle.  I told him I needed more tools.” Ra’dok grinned.  He teeth were a bit crooked.  “It’ll take me a few minutes.”

Leral nodded.  The burly Warrant Officer turned to walk away.

“Thank you.”

Ra’dok snorted.

“Not for this.”  Leral corrected.  “For staying so long, during the mission.  That wasn’t required.”

The Warrant Officer snorted again, but continued to smile.  He ambled off.  Leral exhaled, and slid quietly into the shuttle maintenance bay.  K’tal was there, tinkering with the shuttle’s dissected nacelle.

“Ensign.”  Leral said.  The Marine looked toward her with surprise, then anger.

“Coward.”  He spat.

She smiled.  “No.  Your superior.  You forgot that, in the worst situation.”

He began to speak. She narrowed her eyes.  To his credit, he fell silent.

“If you’re so eager to fight me, I’ll arrange it.  On even terms”  She offered.  "If you ever question my authority again, I will kill you.”

She didn’t mention that a summary execution wasn’t the most honorable death.  She didn’t mention that unencumbered, with a sek’leth in her hands, she was far more confident of a duel going her way.

He stared at her for a good while before he blinked.  He snarled as he looked away, but look away he did.

She nodded. 

She didn’t turn her back on him when she left.  Further insult would do no one any good.

Leral waited for the door to shut behind her before she exhaled.  She hadn’t know what K’tal would do.  He’d displayed some restraint, some sense.  She hoped that sparing him had been a good decision.

She walked back towards her laboratory, wondering about that and many other things.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 09:10:09 am by Commander La'ra »

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Epilogue
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2005, 08:59:19 am »
Epilogue

The Thing woke after a long, satisfying sleep.

Arrayed in front of it was home.  Home wasn’t much, it knew, only some construction platforms, but there was a familiarity to the constructs that made The Thing happy to see them.

It could acknowledge such thoughts, now.  For a long time, thinking beyond the simplest thing was quite difficult.  Though The Thing could never be called philosophical or cerebral, it could put its thoughts together with less painful effort.

It realized, for instance, that the last group of Visitors shouldn’t have been there.  They didn’t travel in the kind of ships that Visitors were supposed to.  They hadn’t known the words.  Yet The Thing also realized that it was they who had fixed its mind, made it more able to judge things, appreciate them.  It was happy it had run across the Visitors.  It was happy that he’d given them more time to leave.  It had been the least The Thing could do.

The Thing made it’s ponderous way toward the platforms.  It’d been a long time since it’d seen them.  Long enough that one of the other Things had been completed, for one of the platforms stood empty.

The Other Things were much larger than it was.  One, perhaps three-quarters complete, was nearby, its gargantuan cone-shaped mass sitting inert, surrounded by its own platform. It knew that there weren’t many other Little Things to bring food to the bigger ones anymore. The Thing would empty its belly into that dock, then, so that The Other Thing might be completed a little faster.

With great satisfaction, The Thing delivered its cargo.

End

-------------------

And that's a wrap!  Tell me what ya'll think of the whole package.  It took a long time to formulate this one, but I'm pretty proud of it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 06:50:02 pm by Commander La'ra »

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2005, 09:03:32 am »
Nice alien.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2005, 12:34:46 pm »
This demands a sequel! Cone shaped thing indeed... ;D

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2005, 06:47:01 pm »
Once again, not your usual story, but I like it a lot. That last part with Leral and the Marine doesn't seem consistant with what we might see in ST on TV, but it still feels very Klingon despite that. Very good story.
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• "I'm the unknown Commander, who makes the Empire look so good."
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Elements willing, we shall prevail!
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2005, 01:17:11 pm »
Sorry for taking so long to comment, La'ra, but for what it's worth, here you are.

Kile Kadh said, "Nice monster." I really do like what you did for the monster's personality. It made it a sympathetic character instead of one of the mindless robots we've fought in SFC.

I'm surprised at the Klingon handling of this being so delicate, but that's unusual La'ra and his unusual crew. I can only imagine that if Dath'ar (sorry JOLLYROGER, but I cannot remember the actual name of your character) handled this, the monster would be atomised by chatper 2. *grin*

As for leaving the silly teenager alive, it smacks of t`Radaik & tr`Asenth but done for better reasons. Still not sure about it, but it's believable.

Good work, and keep it up. Looking foward to your next story!

P.S. And your review of mine! If you haven't read it yet, bin what you have and I'll send you my latest.
"I'm just observing. You know, making observations."
"Great. We'll stick a telescope in your head and put a dome over it, and we can call you an observatory."
Paris and Rory, from "The Gilmore Girls."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2005, 02:23:12 pm »
Kile Kadh said, "Nice monster." I really do like what you did for the monster's personality. It made it a sympathetic character instead of one of the mindless robots we've fought in SFC.

Thanks.:) Especially since that's what I was trying to do!

I'm surprised at the Klingon handling of this being so delicate, but that's unusual La'ra and his unusual crew.

Well, don't forget that Leral had entirely practical reasons for not using her explosives...

As for leaving the silly teenager alive, it smacks of t`Radaik & tr`Asenth but done for better reasons. Still not sure about it, but it's believable.

K'tal will be showing up again, needless to say.

Good work, and keep it up. Looking foward to your next story!

And I yours.  I have a couple days off.  I'm planning on allocating some of my much needed personal time to your story, and since I haven't got much time to read lately, I'm looking forward to it with much, much enthusiasm.

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• "I'm the unknown Commander, who makes the Empire look so good."
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Elements willing, we shall prevail!
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2005, 06:04:59 am »
QUick addition:

I'm surprised at the Klingon handling of this being so delicate, but that's unusual La'ra and his unusual crew.

Well, don't forget that Leral had entirely practical reasons for not using her explosives...

Oh, I know about that, but usually (I'd have thought) a Klingon crew encountering a damaged monster would just destroy it more quickly than bothering to investigate it. That's what I meant.
"I'm just observing. You know, making observations."
"Great. We'll stick a telescope in your head and put a dome over it, and we can call you an observatory."
Paris and Rory, from "The Gilmore Girls."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2009, 12:52:57 am »
Yet another bump.