Topic: The Miners of the Stars  (Read 29643 times)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Re: The Miners of the Stars
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2005, 11:15:35 am »
If you don't get it by early next week (Monday or Tuesday), you may send Governor-man to flog me, Grim.

Was working on it today.:)
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2005, 03:38:42 am »
MMMMMmmmm. How about the his coolest opponent? ;)

Anyways, glad you are working on it. Makes the waiting easier.
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline S'Tasik

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2005, 04:50:49 pm »
Well, it's Wednesday of the next week, and there's nothing up -- does this mean Grim gets to send the Governor-man to flog you with the cat-o-nine?  ^^

Seriously, though, I forgot how much I liked the crew of the Hiv until I sat down and read this one.  It reminds me of all the cool little missions you used to send them on, including one in which they met a rather unique brother-and-sister pair, the latter of which tried to seduce La'ra in his bath or something amusing like that.  I also like the way you have your characters relate to each other in a natural sort of way, something I try to do whenever I set about creating a crew of my own.

So, my ranting aside -- when's the next part coming?  XD

On a completely unrelated note, do you still have the same AIM handle as you did a couple of years back?  It would be nice to get back in touch, see what's new, and "talk shop," as Kieran calls it...
the eyes are not here
there are no eyes here
in this valley of dying stars
in this hollow valley
this broken jaw of lost kingdoms

t.s. eliot

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2005, 10:56:46 pm »
Yeah...it...urm...is Wednesday.  I've been...doing research, yeah.  Research.

*pushes copy of Silent Hunter III out of view*

Actually, I'm still piddling with part four.  Little late, but it's coming along.  I still have the same AIM idea, Tasky, so feel free to give me a ring.  Also, the story you were referencing is 'The Grim Neccesities'.  It's archived with the rest of them at www.starbase23.net...and I'm actually working on a 'spin-off' (not really a sequel) of that particular story.  It's got some potentially objectionable content though, so I sent it to Stephen to see if it'd be okay to post.  Haven't heard back from him yet, though.

Talk to ya' soon, S'Tasik!
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2005, 01:39:27 am »
You know Predators can cloak don't you La'ra?
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Chapter Five
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2005, 10:16:49 am »
Heh.  Okay, I finished it up this morning.  I forced myself not to take my U-Boat out and terrorize the Scottish coast. 

This one's a little short, but that's cuz there's another Interlude that follows immediately.

------------------------

Chapter Five

Spots danced in front of Leral's eyes. Curses and shouts echoed inside her helmet.

Her hand groped for her disruptor.  She tried to move.  There was something on top of her. She snarled, shoving with her left arm while rolling into it.  She heard it hit the deck.  There was a grunt from her helmet speakers.

Her vision was clearing, and her teammates were calling out their uninjured status.  Her assailant, now flat on his back next to her, looked suspiciously like Meran.  She lowered her disruptor, which she didn't remember aiming.

"You broke my fall."  He explained.  Despite herself, Leral laughed.

"Gravity."  She heard K'tal mutter.  She looked back toward the last place she'd seen him.  He and Rinbar--shapes that looked like them anyway--were pulling themselves off the deck.  Suk was draped over the control console.  Everyone save Meran was lowering a weapon.

"Report." Leral ordered.  Meran and Huk went for their tricorders. K'tal deactivated his magnetic boots.

"No hostiles present."  He quipped.

"Thank you." She answered.

"Gravity and atmosphere."  Meran reported.  He was still on the floor, which reminded her that she was too.  She turned off her boots and stood.

"Slight change in power levels." said Huk.  "Access tunnels have been sealed.  Looks like this ring we're in is a contained environment."

Leral frowned.

"Rinbar?"  She asked.  The demolition man responded with enthusiam.

"I can get us out, Lieutenant."

"Good."  She turned toward Huk.  The younger woman was fiddling with the console again.

"It's talking to me." Huk frowned behind her faceplate.  "There's no way I can translate without a much bigger sample."

"See what you can do.  Meran, what's the atmosphere like?"

"Safe."

Leral nodded and unsealed her helmet. The close air inside the suit whooshed out.  The compartment's air seemed thin, but fresh.  She didn't pull the helmet off, however.  Who knew how long the sop'nagh's hospitality would last?  Her teammates were doing the same.

"I think I can do this, Lieutenant."  Huk declared.  Leral felt for her.  Languages were not always scientific or logical, and Suk was not a linguist.  On the other hand, most of what the console told her would probably be technical data.

"Take your time."  Leral advised.  "Let's see if anything else has opened or closed.  Rinbar, stay with Huk."

"Yes, my lord."  The demolitionist hefted his rifle.  The other three Klingons began to move down the hall, then Huk cried out loudly.  There was another flurry of drawn weapons and seeking cover.

“I didn’t do anything.”  Huk said.  She was standing much farther from the control panel than she had been, her sidearm pointed straight at the console.  Her tone was not apologetic; she was making a report.

Leral glanced at the control board.  A panel had opened. She stepped forward.  Inside the panel rested a set of headphones, and one of the displays was scrolling the same message—unintelligible as it was—over and over again.  Up ahead, through the window, the illuminated pathways had shifted.  No more blue and red pulses swam up the wall. The traceries were yellow now, and surging into the main conduit.

“Something’s happening…”  She whispered.

Huk glanced over her shoulder.  The smaller women hefted her tricorder.

“I think it’s digesting some of it’s meal…I’m detecting hydrogen.  It’s probably seperating the asteroid chunks into base elements and…”

“….pulling what it needs into it’s own systems.”  Leral finished.

“Efficient.”  Huk remarked.

“A problem.”  Leral responded.  “I think it’s getting ready to go to warp.”
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 10:34:38 am by Commander La'ra »

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Interlude
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2005, 10:33:13 am »
Interlude

The thing was finally, gloriously, full.  Meals could take a long time and this one had started months ago.  Suitable food, once found, took a while to dismember and devour and rocks with the proper content weren’t as common as they used to be.

Now, though, its belly was gorged.  And there were the visitors.  There were supposed to be visitors, so the thing was pleased. 

Would they tell the Thing not to return?  It was time to return when the meal was over.

It didn’t matter, the Thing realized. If they wanted it to stop, they would tell it so.  It wasn’t something the Thing had to worry about.

It rotated a bit and took a long, last look at the Other.  There was still something not quite right about the Other, something the Thing felt it should realize.  It considered things for a moment, and again, nothing came to mind.

It was time to go home.

The Thing rotated on its axis.  Its path was clear.  It leapt forward and kept accelerating, and there was a bright flash as it tore through the light barrier.

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2005, 07:05:55 pm »
You know you're in trouble when the thing that just ate you decides to go to warp and head home.

Looking forward (patiently of course, given my own horrendous posting rate) to the next part.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2005, 04:36:21 am »
You know you're in trouble when the thing that just ate you decides to go to warp and head home.

You know Kadh, I think you have a point there :D

Looking forward (patiently of course, given my own horrendous posting rate) to the next part.

I'll contact my Predator to wait a little longer.

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2005, 08:22:42 pm »
Well, now, interesting twist. They've fought pirates, Romulans, and Feds, but how does the crew plan to extricate themselves from the belly of an astrominer at warp? Can't wait to find out. ;D
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2005, 09:18:26 pm »
And now to the item that pulled me back in to the Dyna-story-verse once again: Original and New Larry content!

As promised, Larry, here I am and commenting. Speficially: What Kadh & K-Fo said!

I of course can no longer claim a great posting schedule, but I am merely... resting on my laurels since "Aftermath"... Yes! Thats it!

*Ahem* Anyway, this is a very good story with a very original plot, very well put together and written, and I'm very much waiting on the next chapter.

(overdoing it, maybe?) *smirk*

Nah, I really do like it. Maybe I'll design a mission based on it...

And what's with that snot-nosed marine calling Leral "My Lord"? She's not the head of her house. Is he being sarcastic?
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

KBF-Frankk

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2005, 07:06:13 pm »
BUMP time  ;D

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2005, 01:14:22 am »
I was working on this tonight, and I have an entire week off coming.  I won't promise a day, but it's coming soon.  Sorry for the wait, RL's been occupied by work, mostly.

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2005, 08:45:34 am »
Just feed us :D ;)

Edit:

But not the Kadh. Never feed the Kadh. Because....

Hey Kadh,

Why the hell can't we feed you?

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2005, 12:28:13 pm »
I'm trying to lose weight!
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2005, 02:32:55 am »
I'm trying to lose weight!

cry, war, destruction,
    ruin, loss, decay

the worst is Kadh the not so nimble (overweighted(?))
               but Kadh will have his day

? Like this?

j/k ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 02:04:58 am by Grim Reaper »

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2005, 02:01:03 pm »
decay not occay

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2005, 02:05:29 am »
decay not occay

K sorry thought I read it right from your sig...

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2005, 02:22:32 am »
Stolen from shakespeare.  NP about the ribbing on the food.  Time to change my avatar anyway.

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2005, 02:36:38 am »
I'm reading the new post btw... I'll review when i can (i actually should be working)