Topic: The Miners of the Stars  (Read 29644 times)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
The Miners of the Stars
« on: December 26, 2004, 01:19:26 am »
I can't be the only person who wondered what the deal was with those things, but there was never any storyline mission from the games that told you.

So I decided to make something up. ;D

-----------

The Miners of the Stars

Prologue

The Thing was disturbed.  It was not sentient in the way most of the universe would use the word but it was aware.  It knew when more Things came near, and Others that were not one of its kind.  Those that weren?t of its kind would sometimes bother it.  It didn?t like that.  Distractions from the task were not allowed.  One of the Others was nearby.

The thing rotated its great orifice?which served as mouth and fists as well as eyes?and regarded the other.  This other was smaller than the thing, but others often had a capacity for distraction or hurt not represented by their size.  This other was grey, with a hunched profile and a long neck. It radiated power that could hurt the Thing, but this other was not like most Others. It stayed at a distance, watching.  The Thing could feel the Other watching but that did not distract it.

The Thing turned back to its work.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 01:34:40 am by Commander La'ra »
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Chapter One
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 01:25:38 am »
Chapter One

The IKV Hiv?laposh cruised through the asteroid field.  She?d come to the sea of rock searching for prey and had found it, but the prey was not behaving as it should.

?Should I arm the weapons, Commander??

?No.? La?ra responded.  He was standing near the viewscreen, his arms crossed over his chest.  The screen displayed a familiar threat: A large construct, shaped like a sphere with edges here and there.  It had a single orifice that La?ra knew from experience could belch plasma as destructive as any Romulan torpedo.  He?d never seen one of the things hesitating to do so.  He was curious.  ?Maintain precautionary alert.?

?Yes, Commander.?  Grimbek replied.  The newly-promoted Lieutenant betrayed no disappointment, though he?d undoubtedly been expecting a battle.  He was learning patience.  La?ra turned to his science officer.

?Any readings??

Lieutenant (First) Leral gazed at her board with frustration.

?No, sir. Its outer hull is resistant to scans.?  She paused.  ?That?s consistent, sir.?

La?ra nodded.  They were called sop?nagh?stone eaters?by the fleet. The name had been given due to their tendency to blast large chunks off asteroids and suck the bits into their giant maw.  Almost every power had came up with a similar nickname. Starfleet called them astro-miners.

?Increase power to sensors.?  He ordered.  Leral complied.  The sop?nagh was busily devouring a hapless rock.  Perhaps the sensors could peer down its throat whenever it took a bite.  He took a few steps towards the communication?s console.  Ran?jar wasn?t even looking at the viewscreen.

?Any theories??

?It is not attempting to talk with anyone.?  The dark-skinned first officer answered.  ?It blasts rock, it eats rock.?

?Wasting our time??

?We could have destroyed it by now.?

?Yes, but we?ve never seen one behave like this before.?  La?ra offered.  ?We know little about them.?

?We know enough.?  Ran?jar sighed.  The sop?nagh were a hazard.  Most attacked any ship that came near with no hesitation and without regard for distinctions such as ?liner? or ?warship? and then devoured the debris as happily as it consumed rock. A survey vessel had sighted this one, and alerted the Hiv?laposh.

?Perhaps.?  La?ra grinned slightly.  Ran?jar shrugged.

?Commander, we?re being scanned.?  Leral called.  Ran?jar frowned and began calling up data on his console. La?ra crossed the bridge with several long strides and leaned over his science officer.

?Scanned.?  He glanced at the viewscreen.  The sop?nagh had rotated itself toward them, looking for all the world like a giant rocky eyeball.  His own eyes narrowed.

?Yes, sir.? Leral?s eyes were bright, her voice at a slightly higher pitch than usual.  ?That?s never happened before. Not an intensive scan, at least.?

La?ra smiled at her.  ?Something new, Lieutenant??

Leral?s cheeks didn?t flush but her eyes flicked about.  She?d already had one discovery attributed to her on this cruise.  It?d excited her to no end, yet her enthusiasm seemed to embarrass her at times.

?Something new, Commander.? She agreed.

He stood fully and squeezed her shoulder.

?Come up with a way to get a better look at that thing.?  He ordered.  ?You have an hour before the First convinces me to blow it up.?

?Yes, sir.? She was trying not to beam. ?Request permission to leave the bridge, Commander.?

?Granted.?  He replied, then watched her go. She?d be retiring to her lab.

?Perhaps she?ll discover which kind of rocks it thinks are the tastiest.?  Ran?jar growled from his chair.  La?ra grinned.

Leral didn?t need an hour.  There was only one real way to get a better look at the stone eater.  Sensors wouldn?t penetrate it?s skin.  They would have to physically get inside the thing and take a look through its innards. She hadn?t mentioned it on the bridge.  The Commander didn?t want an idea, he wanted a plan.

She?d constructed one rapidly and even wrote up a brief outline.  Her plan was sound.  Unfortunately when she?d decided to inform the bridge the Commander had decided to pay her a visit in the lab to hear of her grand scheme.  She wasn?t ready for what amounted to an inspection.

?Get that mess cleaned up!?  She barked.  One of her two lab assistants complied, scooping the mess of data disks and other items off a worktable.  They had seconds left; he stashed most of the pile in a storage locker.  He shut the thing as laboratory door opened.  The Commander strode in.  Leral and her lab assistants shot to attention.

?Lieutenant.?  He said.  His eyes casually surveyed the room.  His mouth twisted but he fought the expression Leral knew was forming.  Had he spotted something amiss?  Would he realize it if he had?  The laboratory sections of a Klingon ship weren?t frequented.

She tried to force the questions away.  This was the same man she?d openly flirted with on more than one occasion, the same man who?d honestly congratulated her on her storm data and claimed she was as important as the gunner.  It didn?t work: He was the Commander, and he was in her laboratory.

?I?ve come up a plan of action, Commander.?  She offered her datapad.  ?If you?d care to review it.?

La?ra nodded and took the pad.  He glanced toward Leral?s assistants..

?As you were.?  He said, then began to read.  The lab assistants relaxed, to a degree.  Leral did not.  The Commander was still fighting a grin.  That made her uncomfortable.  She waited.

?Risky.?  The Commander looked up from the datapad.  ?It may decide your shuttle is a threat.?

She?d expected that statement.  ?It?s possible, sir, but I doubt it.  I?ve reviewed all the previous encounters with sop?nagh and they ignore anything within a certain power output. They?ll fire at a powered-up shuttle, but there?s no record of them ever firing at a dead one.  They ignore burned out decoy shuttles or inactive scatter packs.?

La?ra nodded.  ?Did you have a pilot in mind.?

?Ra?dok. He performed a dead stick landing on Sash?an II in an unpowered ship.  Ensign Grimbek says his Marines prefer him for combat drops.?

?Good choice.? La?ra agreed. Something on the datapad caught his eye.  ?Explosives??

?The sop?nagh?s outer hull is hard to map.  We may not be able to find an access port and even if we do our equipment may not be able to unlock it.  And really, sir, if we can?t get inside...?

?...there?s not much point in going.?  He agreed.

?Once we've accessed the interior, we should be able to get much better data on exactly what these things are."

"No one knows?"

"No one so far as the Science Council is concerned.  They think Starfleet has tried to establish communication or get better scans of them, but they're uniformly hostile."

"Except for this one."  La'ra looked away for a moment, his mouth curling.  It wasn't a grin.  He was thinking.  "Starfleet tried to establish communication...do you think we're dealing with a creature?"

"No."  She stated firmly.  "They're too...single-minded.  They blow things apart and eat them.  If it was a really simple organism, maybe they would be content to do nothing but find food, but anytime they're engaged in battle they...well their tactics are crude, but they do have them."

"Crude is certainly the word."  La'ra muttered before his thoughtful gaze returned.  "Like it was programmed, not fighting for its life."

"Yes, sir."  She smiled.  "I think they're constructs of some kind, and if I can get inside, I'll be able to confirm it."

"When you get inside."  La'ra corrected.  "What if you're wrong?  What if it's alive and the holes you blast make it angry?"

"Then we'll hang on tightly and hope the ship can get in close enough for a rescue."  Leral admitted.  "It can't shoot at us if we're attached to it."

La'ra chuckled and grinned.

"Get your team together.  Your plan is approved."

« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 01:39:33 am by Commander La'ra »
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
Re: The Miners of the Stars
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 10:50:27 am »
What's this? Looks promising.

You know, this is like i envisioned TNG. I always felt the "ow look at us cause the others can kill us when they want (even though this the federation flagship and apex of our tech)" attitude of TNG very irritating. Why can't decisions like those in TNG come from a position of power? So ++ for you m8.
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Lara

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 11:29:53 am »
I am loving it, but you knew I would.

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 10:25:53 pm »
Hey Larry,

I really like the idea of this. Doing stories about topics we've always been idly curious about, but only at the time it happens to us. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more

Plus: I like you reusing minor characters from previous stories (the injured pilot of Grimbeck's shuttle in Beasthunter).

Nitpick: Leral calls Grimbek an Ensign after La'ra tells us he's a newly promoted Lieutenant.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 11:20:48 pm »
I tell you about Jindarans after the story.  Wouldn't want to influence it, you know.  ;)  Can't wait for more!
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 01:14:12 pm »
WOW... this is awesome. I can't wait to read the next chapter.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Chapter Two
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 01:25:44 pm »
Grim: I'd noticed that on TNG too.  For all the Feddie's love of science and knowledge it always seemed like they were learning things because they had too, not because they wanted to.  Thought this would be a nice change of pace, especially as it's a Klingon crew doing the exploring.

Andy:  I try to reuse as many 'guest stars' as I can when it comes to the ship's crew.  She's only got three-hundred or so people aboard, and as anyone from a small town can tell you, you will see the same faces a lot.

Kadh:  Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it.  Another thank you for belaying the Jindarian info till later; what little I know about them sort of indicates why you brought them up....

J. Carney:  Don't have to wait very long.:)  Was posting this when you replied.  Glad you ventured over from off-topic land, I'm anxious to see what you think of the rest!

Anyway, here's Chapter Two.  Hope you enjoy.

--------------------------

Chapter Two

"Any questions?" 

Five vac-suited but helmetless Klingons were gathered around Leral on the shuttle launch deck.  Some of their expressions were enthusiastic.  One was not.

"Lieutenant, why am I assigned to this...mission?"  The speaker was an Ensign.  He was one of Grimbek's underlings, K'tal.  K'tal was new to the Hiv'laposh.  He was young and fit with dark hair and skin but light, coppery eyes.

"You're to ensure the security of the science team."  Leral clarified.  She tried to keep her voice from being snappish.  She'd expected such a reaction from a Marine.

"Easily done if we simply destroy this thing and be on our way."  K'tal snorted.

The other four team members glanced at the Marine.  Meran and Huk were the scientists.  They frowned.  Ra'dok, old warrior that he was, barely had any expression at all.

"You'll have to meet a greater challenge than staying where it's safe."  Leral stated.  K'tal bared his fangs and glared.

"Any other questions?"  Leral asked, ignoring the Marine.  No one answered.

"Load the shuttle.  We launch as soon as possible."

The shuttle crew began to disperse.  K'tal was still sneering.  He whispered something to Rinbar, the Marine responsible for the explosives.  They were several steps away, but Leral clearly heard the word 'woman'.  She narrowed her eyes, opened her mouth.  The two Marines were already walking away.

"Help me run through preflight, Lieutenant?"  Ra'dok asked.

Leral looked at him.  The grey-maned old pilot had a serious look on his craggy face.

"Of course."  She replied.

"That boy is going to be trouble."  Ra'dok said, easing his husky frame--made huskier by his vacum suit--into the shuttle's pilot's seat.

"He's said nothing that hasn't been said before."  Leral replied.

The pilot grunted.

"He says anything like that again, remind him why you're a Lieutenant."

Leral seated herself in the co-pilots chair and took a cautious look into the rear of the shuttle.  The other four team members were loading the gear.  She and Ra'dok were speaking quietly.

"This is not my first command, Warrant Officer."  She said, flipping switches as she began her portion of the preflight check.

Ra'dok grinned.

"Your first command was in battle.  Young bastards like K'tal will follow anyone towards shooting.  This is different.  It's your plan, and he doesn't think the idea is worth the trouble."

Leral opened her mouth, but said nothing.

"You have your blade?"  Ra'dok asked.

Leral growled at the insult.  Her d'ktagh was sheathed on her hip.

"Yes."

"No disrespect intended, Lieutenant.  I just think you should keep it close, make sure K'tal sees it.  He might remember you've used it before."

Leral considered, then nodded.  She turned back to her panel.

"Merely advice, Lieutenant."  Ra'dok muttered.  "You do not have to listen."

"If I was stupid enough to ignore the ramblings of a Chief Warrant Officer, I'd not deserve to be called Lieutenant."  Leral smiled slightly.

Ra'dok laughed.  It was a low, hearty noise.

The stubby shuttle eased out of the Hiv?laposh?s docking bay.  Ra?dok was a confident pilot, and the maneuvering was smooth.

Leral had little to do for the moment.  She sat in the copilot?s seat, staring out the small craft?s wide forward viewport.  Ra?dok was bringing the little ship around, taking up a position off the battlecruiser?s starboard bow.  She hadn?t had much opportunity to see what was essentially her home from the outside.  She examined the old cruiser with interest.

?Pretty, is she not??  Ra?dok asked.

?Pretty isn?t the word I?d choose.?  Leral replied. The old battlecruiser's low-slung nacelles and long neck were classic Klingon design and lent a predatory air to the ship, but there was more to her than that. Here and there her hull was a darker or lighter grey than the rest; scars repaired with different grades of metal than she'd been constructed with.  Her exterior lights were agleam, as they always were during shuttle operations, but somehow they made the cruiser darker, throwing swaths of her hull into shadow.  Leral considered.

"She...looks like she wouldn't bother to kill you before she ate you."  She said after a moment.  Ra'dok cackled.

?Shuttle One,? The cockpit speakers crackled.  It was Ran?jar?s voice, of course.  ?The sop?nagh Is in position.  Proceed.?

?Confirmed, acting.?  Leral answered.  The ship had been watching the stone eater, waiting for it to turn its maw in the least worrisome direction.

She turned to Ra?dok but the old pilot was already throttling the shuttle up to maximum power. She turned to her panel.  The distance between shuttle and stone eater began to lessen, the numbers on the range indicator changing more rapidly as the small craft accelerated.

There was nothing outside the viewport now.  The Hiv?laposh was already far behind.

?Lieutenant, make sure everyone?s strapped in.?  Ra?dok muttered.  His manner had changed.  She was in charge of the mission but the shuttle and its passengers were his responsibility.

She looked back into the passenger compartment  Scientists and Marines alike were trying not to appear apprehensive, though the Marines were going to greater lengths.  All were properly secured, as they had been before take off.

K?tal was glaring at her, though not when she looked directly at him.  She noted the expression and turned back to her controls.

?They are.?

Ra?dok nodded.  The range continued to shrink.

?Shutdown in thirty seconds.?  The pilot advised.

?Shuttle One to Hiv?laposh.? Leral called out. ?Switching to external sensor feed.?

?Affirmative.  Confirm when feed established.?

The panel indicators went dark as Leral tapped the correct buttons.  Three seconds passed before they came back to life.  Their data came from the battlecruiser now; the sop?nagh would certainly notice if the shuttle used it?s own sensors on the approach.

?Feed established.?

?Affirmative.?

?Shutting down main engine?.now.?  Ra?dok announced.  The low hum of the impulse drive died away.  Interior lights flickered, then went out and the slight breeze from the vents died away. 

?All systems powered down.?  Leral confirmed. The shuttle had batteries but she did not bring them on line.  The atmosphere in the shuttle could sustain the crew for several hours and it?d take awhile for the gravity plates to lose their charge.  If she hadn?t required the cockpit indicators or the inertial compensators she?d have shut them down too.

?Beginning thruster burn.?  Ra?dok stated.  A faint noise, like paper quietly ripped, echoed through the cockpit.  Leral felt nothing; the inertial compensators were designed for low warp speeds.  Such subtle changes in velocity would not tax them.

She looked up. There was nothing but empty space beyond the viewport.  Long minutes would pass before the sop?nagh appeared.

The pilot leaned back in his seat.

?Now we wait.?  He said. 

Leral nodded.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 01:54:55 pm »
"She...looks like she wouldn't bother to kill you before she ate you."

That line is priceless. Excelent writing.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Lara

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 10:19:34 pm »
I'm not complaining, honest, but yanno cannon fodder is cannon fodder and that boy is not going to live to die in his sleep if he keeps up like that.

That said, where's the next chapter?

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 11:19:19 am »
mmm.. I'm not too often in favour of the role reversal most women strive for but now i can make an exeption. Make her kick hiss sorry ass
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 05:17:53 pm »
Role reversal, my arse!  ::)

An annoying twat is an annoying twat, no matter what race, gender, creed, or persuasion.  :P

Get Leral to thrash the snotty bastard!  ;D

Anyway, nicely done Larry. Looking forward to more.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2005, 06:09:31 pm »
*patiently awaits the next chapter!*

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 11:30:38 pm »
I'd told Grim that I was gonna have this chapter done last week, but I'm running a little late...sorry about that.:)

I'm noticing that my chapters are shorter on this one and that it seems to make the pace quicker.  Anyone else notice that or have a preference one way or the other?

------------------

Chapter Three

The shuttle coasted.  Leral occasionally called out the distance remaining.  Ra'dok occasionally reported a slight course adjustment.  Otherwise the cockpit was silent.  There was a low murmur from the crew compartment as the scientists and Marines discussed things.

Leral listened for K'tal's voice.  The young officer said little of import.  She was irritated with him but not for his attitude.  He was distracting her.

"There we are."  Ra'dok finally announced.  Leral glanced up.  A vague grey shape was visible in the viewport.  It grew even as she watched, as did the asteroid beyond it.

"There we are."  She agreed. "Three minutes.  We're slightly off course, adjust to zero-nine-six..."

Ra'dok complied, nudging the shuttle about with the thrusters.  Another correction was needed, then another.  All were minor, however, not the series of wild adjustments that'd probably lead to a missed interception.

The sop'nagh dominated the viewport.  There was a flash.

"It's feeding."  Leral blurted.  Ra'dok had nearly spun the shuttle into an evasive pattern.

"Yes."  He replied.  A comet-like wad of reddish plasma erupted from the stone eater, pulverizing a section of its target asteroid.

"Watch this."  Leral smiled.  Ra'dok regarded her incredulously but looked out the viewport.  Thin azure beams erupted from the stone-eater's orifice--which thankfully pointed slightly away from the shuttle--and snared the man chunks of debris.  With great efficiency the plasma-scorched material was dragged into the sop'nagh's maw.

The pilot grunted but watched for longer than he had to.  Leral felt certain he was impressed.

"Begin landing approach...."  She ordered.  "...now."

Ra'dok rotated the shuttle and eased the throttle forward.  The hiss of the thrusters filled the cockpit as the shuttle sailed in toward the stone eater.  They couldn't make a normal approach without the impulse drive, couldn't compensate for their momentum in time to make the usual kind of landing.

"Now."  Ra'dok barked.  Leral activated the shuttle's tiny tractor beam, aiming at a bit of sop'nagh a kellicam ahead.

The shuttle lurched.  The motion wasn't precisely violent, but it was certainly notable.  Ra'dok killed the thrusters.  Leral adjusted the beam.  The shuttle was anchored, more or less.  She slapped a few buttons.  The shuttle reeled itself in along the beam.

"Five seconds left on the beam." Ra'dok said. The tractor was running off battery power. 

"We're there already. Activate the clamps."

There was another violent lurch as the magnetic pads under the shuttle's keel locked onto the stone eater.  All sense of motion died.

"We're on tight."  Ra'dok reported.

Leral beamed

"Surface scans show something that looks like a hatch several meters to port." Huk reported, her voice filtered through Leral's helmet pickups.

"I can see it from here."  K'tal informed. He was peering out the viewports on the crew compartment door.  He still sounded impatient.

"As good a place to start as any."  Leral stated.

"You think your underlings can decipher the hatch controls?"  K'tal asked harshly. "Lingering on this thing's surface will not be safe."

"Perhaps."  Leral replied.  Her voice would never be as icy as Ran'jar's, but it was chilly enough.  "If they can't, blasting through there will be easier than punching into the hull."

Rinbar, the demolitions man, looked at neither officer.  Leral could not see his expression, thanks to his helmet, but his shoulders slumped a bit.

K'tal apparently took the meaning.  The Marine said nothing more.

"Decompress the cabin."  Leral ordered.

The whir of the fans was rather quiet as the air was sucked out of the shuttle's interior.

"Decompression complete." Ra'dok reported over the helmet com.  The pilot would stay safe and warm in the shuttle's cockpit.

Leral nodded to K'tal.  The Marine opened the shuttle door.  The Klingons filed out, stepping in the odd fashion of people wearing magnetic boots.

"Interesting perspective..." Huk ventured.  Leral couldn't help but agree.  The surface of the sop'nagh curved away from them, the ridges and such that spoiled it's spherical profile creating the illusion of mountains, though on a small scale.  The asteroid it was mutilating dominated the 'sky'.

There was a momentous flash of light, far ahead.  Another torrent of plasma erupted from the stone eater.  The Klingons watched it fly, upwards-seeming, to blast away yet another section of asteroid.

Leral smiled privately. She was not given to romantic notions, but she still found joy in the sight.  Others might be enthralled by the color and magnitude of the display, but her happiness came from being closer than anyone had before.  Her mind ran through calculations of the plasma bolt's power, the amount of rock displaced with every blast.  She'd get firmer numbers from the tricorder tapes and wondered if this first mental estimation would be anywhere close.

There was more to see.

"Let's move."  She ordered.  The team moved forward in the clumsy way demanded by their magnetic boots.  Their progress was faster than it appeared; the sop'nagh was not really much larger than a starship.

"Convienent."  Huk declared as the hatch came into view.  "There's some kind of interface."

"Get started."  Leral ordered.

"Ma'am." The younger scientist acknowleged.  She leaned over the hatch and began fiddling with her tricorder.  Farther ahead, blue lances were once again spearing asteroids and drawing them into the stone eater's orifice.

"I'm getting good scans." Meran reported.  He was facing the direction of the beams, taking readings with his own sensor unit.  Leral smiled, but didn't respond.  She glanced, instead, toward K'tal. He was watching the beams as well, rifle held casually.  His spacesuit showed nothing of his posture, his expression.

"This should work." Huk declared.  Leral looked towards the younger woman, who continued. "Simple base three mathematical code.  I don't think this lock was really meant to keep people out."

"Interesting." Leral admitted.  She heard a sigh over her helmet com.  It wasn't a distinctive enough noise for her to identify it by sound alone, but there was really only one person it could be.

"I'm sorry, Rinbar." She said, turned toward the Marine and smiling.  The demolitions man shrugged, the motion made awkward by his vac suit.

"Got it." Huk announced.  The entire team looked toward her.  The hatch opened outward, noiseless in the vacum.

"K'tal."  Leral ordered.  "Take point."

"Very well, my lord."  He responded.  She felt, rather than saw a sneer.  The Ensign advanced toward the hatch, readying his weapon.  Rinbar was right behind him.

The five Klingons entered the stone eater.

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 08:48:14 am »
La'ra
I'd told Grim that I was gonna have this chapter done last week, but I'm running a little late...sorry about that.Smiley

I'm noticing that my chapters are shorter on this one and that it seems to make the pace quicker.  Anyone else notice that or have a preference one way or the other?

------------------

Well better late then never. I don't mind the postings to be shorter, as long as the storydepth stays the same, yet i prefer the longer postings in general.

Offline Lara

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 08:20:11 am »
 :-*

I prefer longer chapters, but then more happens. That said I want more prose. Now. Preferably yesterday. Preferably all of it.

That poor silly marine boy. Ah well, they don't join the marines to become rocket scientists...

::)

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 08:30:17 am »
That said I want more prose. Now. Preferably yesterday. Preferably all of it.

Well said babe but.... where's the next update of yours?

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 09:09:00 am »
You got a karma poiint for that one, Grim. :D

Offline Lara

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2005, 07:15:11 pm »
I'm working on it?

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Interlude
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2005, 12:49:36 pm »
I was working on the next chapter.  It's not done, but this little bit is....

------------------------

Interlude

The Thing stopped.

It’d been ages since anyone had wanted to look at the Thing.  The Thing knew that it was supposed to receive visitors regularly, but the lack had never affected it.  For a moment, it was confused.  Bits of its repast drifted into space, momentarily unimportant.

The Thing tried to remember what it was supposed to do when visitors came.  It found that it could not.  The memory had faded, like so many others.  Should it try to do something to stop them?

No, the Thing decided.  Visitors were supposed to show up periodically.  That they hadn’t for so long was their failure, not its own.  It would continue its meal.  If the visitors wished it to stop they would no doubt assert their wishes.

The Thing turned its orifice toward the Other.  The Other continued to hover well out of the Thing’s reach and had still done nothing to bother it.

Somewhere in the back of the Thing's mind, an idea began to form.  Something about the Other and the visitors who were now inside it.  The thought died before it was fully formed, as so many of the Thing’s thoughts did.  It pushed the Other out of its regard and turned back to its meal.