Topic: Good Video Card?  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
Good Video Card?
« on: December 28, 2004, 01:31:34 pm »
I just found out I need to upgrade my graphics card to play Rome: Total War.

Does anyone know of a good one I can get? (preferably one that doesn't cost too much, because I'm cheap ;) ).
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
Re: Good Video Card?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 01:32:56 pm »
well i would says nvidia is the best, voodo is no longer good.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 04:13:58 pm »
I just found out I need to upgrade my graphics card to play Rome: Total War.

Does anyone know of a good one I can get? (preferably one that doesn't cost too much, because I'm cheap ;) ).

Since I don't know how much you want to spend.  The best thing to do is to look on the Total War box.  See what video card is recommended and then price out some video cards in your price range that will run the game.  Then post the list of video cards that are in the price range that you want to spend and we'll go from there.  Hope this helps.

Offline Iceman

• 1st Lieutenant
  • Lt.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 12:30:50 am »
I'd get one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-460&depa=1

I'd recommend the 256mb version (what I have) as it runs everything I have. (including Doom 3).  Plus its only like $20 more.
I believe this belongs to you. -Commander Sheehan to Imperial Captain Smithy
"Wedge, it's amazing how deceptive you can be without actually lying." -Tycho Celchu

Offline F9th0mega

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Constitution Class - The one, the Only, the BEST
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 04:02:28 pm »
nah the 256mb aint worth it... not much of a boost if any but ya the 9600xt is a good choice...
Alternate universe:  Khan was banished for preserving the peace. The Genesis device was really a super weapon and kirk had planned to use it on the klingons. Chekov found the Botany Bay and khan hijakced and killed the evil reliant crew in an effort to destroy the genesis device.    Ahh i love it :D The alternate universe rocks.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 07:35:20 pm »
   What is mid ranged price in Cdn $ Video Card good for SFC2&3 games as well as a few others eg. Guild Wars about a 125.00 .I have 376mb ram DDR2100 agp slot ,1.5Ghz and 200 watts of power.Thanks

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 03:00:52 pm »
  Bump

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 07:37:59 pm »
I would go with a Geforce FX 5900 if you looking at about $100-$130 US... You may be able to find a GeForce 6800 GT with 128 MB on it for about $175-$200 US.. maybe cheaper...

If you are looking for under $100 and to use with Specifically SFC, then the Geforce FX 5600 with 128 MB.. it will do all games onthe market currently.. although it is now considered a mid range graphics card when compared to the 6800 series.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 11:12:50 pm »
  I was asking for in Cdn dollars but on another board they said Geforce FX 5200 or 5400 ultra.Thanks

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 12:22:53 am »
  I was asking for in Cdn dollars but on another board they said Geforce FX 5200 or 5400 ultra.Thanks

as for cost, I don't know the exchange rate between US and Canada.

as for quality, the FX 5200 and FX 5400 are the low end of the FX cards and are not worth wasting the money... the FX 5700 was OK.. but the best FX cards are the 5600 and the 5900.. the 5900 ultra is great.. the 5600 is the second best choice...

for the money and under $200 US, I would select between the FX 5600 with 128 MB mem (or 256 MB), the FX 5900 with 128 MB, or the new 6800 GT with 128 or 256 MB mem...

the 6800 gt is worth it since nothing that ATI currently has on the market can compete with the Geforce 6800 series capabilities.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team