Topic: nic1394.sys error and a blue screen of death?  (Read 7338 times)

Offline Musashi NCC-BR549

• Grand High Mufti ...(NCC Fatwa Advisor)
  • Commodore
  • Well, that settles that!
nic1394.sys error and a blue screen of death?
« on: December 30, 2004, 05:55:19 pm »
Does this ring a bell with anybody?   I did the ol' service pack 2 thingy the other day and I've had hell getting my handy dandy Linksys wireless-g card to work ever since.   I'm on the net (by way of ethernet cable ..... got the blue death initiall with that cable, too, btw) in a hotel in Longview, Texas, right now.  Could one of you guys drop by and fix it?  I'll pay for the gas.   ;D  Occasionally, I crash and get the NIC error. 

Where should I start looking?   Drivers?   Gimme a hint.

Either Mush's little laptop or Mush is allllll screwed up.
"America is all about speed.  Hot, nasty, bad a** speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: nic1394.sys error and a blue screen of death?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 06:03:43 pm »
I'd say Drivers at First. Ocasionaly though Some hotel Software that Hooks you to the Net will give you problems, but I've only seen this once or twice, and since your on now Via Cat 5, That shouldn't be the problem.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 09:05:00 pm »
That isn't by chance an AMD machine is it?  I've heard there were some issues with SP2 and AMD.  If it is a AMD machine (AMD 64) and you need drivers you can try here:

http://planetamd64.com/

If you can give me the exact error message when you encounter the blue sceen of death and I will try to track it down for you.  Hope this helps.

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 11:20:27 pm »
Will do ..... when it happens again.  It's been a while, but I have confidence that it will happen again.  Thanks, Jav!

oops .... me forget .... no AMD

Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2

1600 megahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache   Board: Dell Computer Corporation Inspiron 8200
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A03 06/03/2002
Drives   Memory Modules
39.97 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
10.48 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4240N [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

IC25N040ATCS04-0 (40.01 GB) [Hard drive] -- drive 0   1024 Megabytes Installed Memory
  Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 39.97 GB 10.48 GB free

Controllers 
Intel(r) 82801AA Bus Master IDE Controller
Intel(r) 82801CAM Ultra ATA Storage Controller-248A
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 11:32:40 pm by Musashi »
"America is all about speed.  Hot, nasty, bad a** speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 08:31:39 am »
STOP: 0x000000D1(0x348314EB,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xf7830b4e)

nic1394.sys

address F7830B4E base @ F782F0000,Datestamp 41107b04

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 10:02:18 am »
Are you connecting to the Internet through the Firewire port??  I think Microsoft is leading me down the wrong road with this one.  I'll try something else a little latter on.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 10:23:25 am by Javora »

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004, 10:55:49 am »
Ok I've tried the usual routines to track this one down without any success.  I posted the issue in the Tech Support Forum that I hang out in to let some people that are much more intelligent than I am take a crack at it.  You can follow the thread along here.  Hope this helps.

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005, 01:46:26 pm »
Ok .............. I just got back on.   I (think I) disabled everything that had NIC's (whoever he is) name on it and went to Kong's house and asked Mrs. Kong (Ma and Pa) for her disk that our ISP hands out to us country bumpkin dialup dopes.   Popped that puppy in an WALLAH!  Here I am.  I don't know why I am here .... though I suspect stupidity on my part at some point during the previous days is the reason that I had trouble.    (That is the usual pattern.)

I can't wait to see what happens when I plug my firewire/USB2 pci card in it's slot and try to use it.   

Thanks for the effort Jav!

Mush the Bumpkin

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2005, 01:49:52 pm »
At a guess I would say that the service pack erased your network settings and the ISP disk restored them.  I don't use XP myself so I am guessing.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 12:35:02 pm »
The AMD 64/SP 2 issues are rumors. I've not seen anyone with an actual problem.

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2005, 06:52:43 pm »
"It's dead,Jim."

First there was a harmless little tapping noise ....... then a Stop .... hard error C0000218 ..... then Mush says to Mush: " hmmmm .. that's odd ... probably nuthin' " ... then Mush reboots ..... everything "looks" fine... Mush, puts most recent photos on CD as backup and saves .dbx files .... decides to run scandisk for the heck of it .... 54% through the second to the last step .... that tapping noise .... then ZOT!

No bootable device found.

To make a very long story short .... some gal in India by the name of Abby is sending me an new HD.   I'm on the old laptop.  I can't remember what the problem with this one is .... but, I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.   ;D

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2005, 07:10:18 pm »
Ouch, sorry for your luck.  At least you got your photos off that drive before it crashed.  I hope this solves the all the issues with you laptop.  Gee what is with all the hard drives crashing all of a sudden??!?  I wonder if it has something to do with the cold weather, to bad there isn't a place that tracks bad drives.  Oh well, anyway...   ;D

BTW that girl Abby, that is not here real name.  Tech support sites in India have been telling their employees to come up with American sounding names to help give the impression that people here are calling an American tech support site.  I guess honesty is not the best company policy.   ::)

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 07:28:48 pm »
OR! ..... time is money .... and teaching a fat tongued Okie to pronounce "Stewbwannashi" (or whatever) would take 'em an hour to get past "Howdy".     ;D

They don't hide it.   I'm sure they tell the German customers that their name is "Otto" or "Hans".

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2005, 02:26:02 am »
Hey, Mushy Pumpkin, I certainly hope the Indian girl doesn't ever have to call herself "Otto" or "Hans"...

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2005, 07:32:59 am »
[spoken with Indian accent] ..." Gooten morgan, velcome to Dell customer service, my name is Olga ...."   ;D