Topic: Star trek generations  (Read 9038 times)

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
Star trek generations
« on: January 12, 2005, 10:16:42 pm »
it's on sci fi tonight.  Not the best movie, but that enterprise B sure was a pretty ship.  Liked her alot better than the D.  The uniforms were cooler than TNG ones too.
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Re: Star trek generations
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 09:25:16 pm »
I'm like the only person in America who liked that movie, aren't I?
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 09:36:39 pm »
I'm like the only person in America who liked that movie, aren't I?

No, I liked it, especially the parts with Data.  Plus it's a great example of how useless troi is because she's the one that crashed the enterprise into the planet.  Still, not my fav ST movie though.
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 09:51:33 pm »
Plus it's a great example of how useless troi is because she's the one that crashed the enterprise into the planet.

I have a Trek novel (Q-Space) Where Q is talking about that. He's commenting on the new Enterprise:

"Very snazzy and streamlined- but somehow it lacks the quaint, lived-in quality that the old place had. Whatever happend to that old bucket of bolts anyway? Don't tell me that you actually let TROI take the helm?"
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Khalee002

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 12:16:29 pm »
I like Generations got me in the mood maybe to try my hand at modeling some bridges.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 04:51:45 am »
   The part I hated the most was Capt. Kirks death I did like it when the Du'ras sister shot at the Enterprise E.

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 10:36:55 am »
   The part I hated the most was Capt. Kirks death I did like it when the Du'ras sister shot at the Enterprise E.

Yeah, death by some half-assed away mission doesn't sit well with me either.
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 10:49:01 am »

Yeah, death by some half-assed away mission doesn't sit well with me either.

I really liked it, myself. Kirk died by something that was both mundane and in the line of duty- but in the process of doing something extraordinary.

Translation: He died doing his job.

I think that were he a real man, he would not have been too dissappointed.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 06:47:14 pm »
I still think Paramount should have killed him off with a three-quarter drained phaser in one hand, the throat of a Klingon homicidal maniac in the other, a Romulan assassin around his neck, and other murderous vermin clinging to his legs and body.  That's what defined the action side of Captain Kirk.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 07:06:38 pm »
I still think Paramount should have killed him off with a three-quarter drained phaser in one hand, the throat of a Klingon homicidal maniac in the other, a Romulan assassin around his neck, and other murderous vermin clinging to his legs and body.  That's what defined the action side of Captain Kirk.

I can understand that being killed by a collapsing bridge was kind of an anti-climax to a great military career, but unfortunately, that is the way that most great soldiers die- unglamorously:

Patton died because of injuries he sustained in a car wreck on an icy German road.

The Manfried von Richtoven was most likely killed by a lucky shot from the ground, and at best it was a rookie pilot's lucky bullet.

U-boat captian Wolfgang Lüth (recipiant of Germany's Knights Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds) was shot by a friendly sentry in the confusion that befell Nazi Germany after Hitler's suicide.

Seargent Alvin York died slowly, his health deteriorating after a stroke in the 50's.

The way that they wrote Kirk out was supposed to have epitomized his life- a simple man, simply doing his job.  THe results were what made him extraordinary, not the acts themselves.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 07:36:26 pm »
Ah, you're talking real life and history; The Scourge of Space was a rock 'em, sock 'em, (and if female, kiss 'em) character.

I didn't know about the ends of Lueth, York, or von Richtoffen.  I feel bad for all of them, especially Lueth; friendly fire is sort of inexcusable at times, even if humanly unavoidable.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005, 07:42:21 pm »
What about MacArthur and Nimitz they didn't die a senseless death.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2005, 07:49:03 pm »
What about MacArthur and Nimitz they didn't die a senseless death.

MacAuthor died of old age in the privacy that he sought. I can't even find a technical cause of death.

Nimitz had a stroke, and his weakened condition left him venerable to pneumonia, to which he eventually succumbed.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 09:18:39 am »
I really liked it, myself. Kirk died by something that was both mundane and in the line of duty- but in the process of doing something extraordinary.

Translation: He died doing his job.

I think that were he a real man, he would not have been too dissappointed.

I agree.  His death wasn't pretty, but he died doing the same thing he did in almost every episode of TOS:  Risking his life on behalf of others.  His actions were pivotal:  Soran would not have been stopped without him.  Had Kirk not taken the risk that led to his death, millions of people would have died.

Kirk was the type who, had you told him the bridge was going to fall before he went out on it...would've gone ahead and done it anyway, and his last words to Picard indicated that he felt it was worth it.

To me, that says more about Captain James Kirk than any more 'heroic' death would've.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 02:03:48 pm »
    I still don't like and it was where Star Trek started to lose the TOS fan base most hard or even soft didn't like the way he died not of heroics death.I would of lef it a mystery and revealed sometime later.They could always bring him back like Spock.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 02:17:40 pm »
    I still don't like and it was where Star Trek started to lose the TOS fan base most hard or even soft didn't like the way he died not of heroics death.I would of lef it a mystery and revealed sometime later.They could always bring him back like Spock.

Age,

Kirk died a true hero's death.

He didn't die like a mythological figure- he died like a brave man. Because that was what he was... just a man. He got old, lost a lot of hair, chunked up, and (by the red in Kirks face) had a little trouble with the bottle. He was a brave man, but mortal man nonetheless.

If you leave it a mystery and reveal it later, you are still going to have the problem of how the man died; and one day you'll have to solve it.

And the 'bringing back' thing is FAR too overdone in Trek:

Scotty held in stasis.

Spock reborn on Genisis.

Worf dying during that spinal operation and Klingon genetics bringing him back.

Tasha Yar (my first moviestar crush, BTW) brought back as an ill-tempered Rom.

It's got to end SOMEWHERE... dead has got to be DEAD, or sooner or later it stops resembling reality. And that has always been a selling point of Trek- despite being fiction, it has always been at least marginally believable fiction.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 05:39:19 pm by J. Carney »

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 11:32:51 am »
Technically, Yar wasn't brought back.  When she went back to fight the Romulans on the E-C she was captured and once can assume seduced by her Romulan captors.  The Rom chick you're referring to is, yes, the same actress, but as far as the show goes, Yar's daughter.

I think Denise Crosby makes a better Romulan anyway.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 02:58:32 pm »
Technically, Yar wasn't brought back.  When she went back to fight the Romulans on the E-C she was captured and once can assume seduced by her Romulan captors.  The Rom chick you're referring to is, yes, the same actress, but as far as the show goes, Yar's daughter.

I know that... but they brought back the actress... all in all, it was kinda cheesy. ;)

And I don't care if she's playing the corpse in Pet Cemetary... she's still hot. ;D

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 03:11:29 pm »

I know that... but they brought back the actress... all in all, it was kinda cheesy. ;)

And I don't care if she's playing the corpse in Pet Cemetary... she's still hot. ;D

Yes, quite hot.  I remember finding a playboy of my dad's when I was a little kid with her in it, and staring in awe for quite a while.  Ahhh.  Memories.
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2005, 03:13:55 pm »
Yes, quite hot.  I remember finding a playboy of my dad's when I was a little kid with her in it, and staring in awe for quite a while.  Ahhh.  Memories.

*fires up the Google Image Search*

You remember which month? ;)