Topic: Sweet PC deal in NorthAmerica.  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Sweet PC deal in NorthAmerica.
« on: January 17, 2005, 01:28:37 pm »
Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: Sweet PC deal in NorthAmerica.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 07:27:59 pm »
Rumageing through your parents old newspapers again Stephen??!?  Cute find.   ;)

Offline kmelew

• "From the Place of the Hops-Growers"
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 07:33:55 pm »
Does Aldus Pagemaker and Windows 386 come with it?  ;)
"I'm Kmelew, and I approve this post."

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 10:57:26 pm »
Heh yourselves!

Any of you guys want to buy my (still completely functional, but minus its monochrome monitor) Leading Edge Model D2 80286 (actually a Daewoo licenced copy of Intel's original; works like a charm) computer plus a 80287 math coprocessor already installed?  I also stuck in a 3.5" floppy drive (it only came with a 5.25" and still have somewhere the front bezel that covered the drive bay).  I wonder if I still have Geoworks on it!

It's a cool computer, my first.  Unfortunately, I don't recall any kind of games at all for it!

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 06:02:57 pm »
What?  No takers?!

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 06:40:03 am »
O.K.  So you get me thinking (a dangerous state this time of day)...Deep Thought

Background Information
As any digital hardware engineer, or software engineer, can tell you, the number '42' in base ten is equal to '101010' in base two. This alternating pattern of ones and zeros illustrates DEEP Thought's indecision about the Ultimate Question.
Of course, in the original Hitchhiker's Guide radio scripts, when Arthur has the "cave man" put out Scrabble stones and the sentence "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?" emerges, and then Arthur says "Six by nine? Forty-two? You know, I've always felt that there was something fundamentally wrong with the Universe." -- it is at this point that a faint and distant voice says "base thirteen!".

42 (base 13) is equal to 54 (base 10). (Of Course -- Douglas Adams has been quoted as saying " You just don't write jokes in base 13!" )
To dispel any myths about 42 (and to make Douglas Adams Happy!), Douglas Adams also wrote on USENET: The answer to this is very simple. It was a joke. It had to be a number, an ordinary, smallish number, and I chose that one. Binary representations, base thirteen, Tibetan monks are all complete nonsense. I sat at my desk, stared into the garden and thought '42 will do' I typed it out. End of story

If You have found some of DEEP Thought's calculations lying around, please make a note of them and send them to me dljones@lundeen.com

This page is dedicated to the admirable works of Douglas Adams, the well renowned author of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (the increasingly innaccurately named Hitchhiker Trilogy), etc.

The following is a list of the places where DEEP Thought has accumulated the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything throughout the world.

http://www.empirenet.com/~dljones/#BACKGND 

Sooo much time, sooo few hands

Mike
Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul