Topic: Observer Effect  (Read 3380 times)

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
Observer Effect
« on: January 21, 2005, 09:17:32 pm »
A new episode of Enterprise aired tonight.  Even though it relied on two heavily used plot elements, I thought it was a good episode.  Anyone else get a chance to see it?

Don't miss next week, where things begin to get interesting...
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Observer Effect
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 11:23:32 pm »
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Another dud.  I can't help but wonder if they've butchered the Organians now; the Organians from "Errand of Mercy" and this episode are too different to reconsile.

Edit:  Wait, somebody else shares my opinion on this episode:

Dear Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens, Manny Coto, Rick Berman and Brannon Braga,

To produce a Star Trek that audiences will want to keep watching, it is not enough simply to steal plots and aliens from previous series. You must come up with original stories for Enterprise, which incorporate similar themes and recognizable species yet do not simply retread places where Star Trek has gone before.

This episode was a bigger rip-off than last week, and it kicked one of the most time-honored Trek species right in their non-corporeal nads.  Should we expect any different from the pair that writes the Shatnerverse hack books?

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 10:55:52 am »
While I don't think including them exactly made much sense, I'm not going to let that ruin 90% of the rest of the episode (just like I didn't let the ending to Zero Hour ruin the rest of the episode, although it did detract slightly that they hadn't succeeded in their mission yet.  It was just as cool seeing the "right" ending at the end of Storm Front ;) ).

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 11:21:56 am »
I missed the very beginning of the show myself.

The whole silicon based virus annoyed me.  How could a silicon based virus manipulate a carbon based cell into reproducing the silicon virus?  Where would the carbon based cell get the silicon to reproduce the virus?  How could the carbon based cell even be able to do the reproduction of the virus?  The science in science fiction should be either real or at least plausible, this wasn't.

Then again the "we killed a major character and brough him back" thing is also annoying.  If you are killing a character KILL  it.   
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 12:04:39 am »
Oh, come on, if it got you mad, it was good ep.

If it made you wonder, it was a good ep.

You don't have to have every nerve ending fried out for it to be a good ep.

And, it isn't all that out of line with Organians from TOS- they, like other species, have individuals with different personalities.  And, if we speak of "evolving" in the Trekniverse, why can't even Organians learn from others, even if "inferiors" like humans or Archer.

(I finally saw it on tape just now; I was unable to when it actually aired.)

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 04:45:53 pm »
B O R I N G

Give me Galactica any day.
He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 05:40:15 pm »
No, they were far too cold and calculating to be the organians from TOS.  There was no compassion, which they showed in absolute excess from the cast of TOS.  In TOS they were highly enlightened, caring, compassionate and passiveistic.  In Ent they are cold, uncaring, prone to limited concepts of prcedures and protocol that limit corporeal beings, and almost childish.  Definately immature.
There are alot of huge differences.  Plus, the organians in TOS would have had no need to inhabit "lesser" beings.  They could observe as they liked and sensed anything they needed without taking anyone over.  They were next to omnipotent and omniscient.  Not quite there, but close, very close.
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 08:02:02 pm »
Well, they weren't the City Council members, like Ayelborne, etc., were.  They were probably junior adjutants to the tertiary lackey in charge of looking dead when Klingons shoot given a big Organian's job.

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 10:14:34 pm »
I someone else have this image at another site and I thought it was kinda cool

Offline E_Look