Topic: Star Trek : Insurrection.  (Read 5531 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Star Trek : Insurrection.
« on: January 22, 2005, 05:13:29 pm »
I just popped the tape into the Vcr (thanks Stormbringer for theTape) , and I still like this Episode very much. I see this one as the most Poetic ST movie made. However alot of people didn't care for this one.

I'm just Interested in my friends View of this film.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
Re: Star Trek : Insurrection.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 05:33:41 pm »
It wasn't too bad.  I didn't like the equation of a shifty little Federation and Starfleet with the U.S. and its military.  Neat SF ideas it had.  Better plot if only it had.  But Herbert it is not.

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 05:52:08 pm »
I enjoyed the episode very much and the idea of the Son'a terrorists was cool.
He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 05:59:31 pm »
I enjoyed the episode very much and the idea of the Son'a terrorists was cool.

I wasn't too fond of it. The movie had it's good points... but also it's bad ones.

*ALERT: SPOILER BELOW*

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

B

E

L

O

W

I mean Riker flying the E with a pop-up joystick for God's sake?

PLEASE!!!

"It's time to use the Briar Patch like Briar Rabbit did..."

That's the cheesiest line in Trek.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 07:39:08 pm »
The overall plotline I kinda liked.  Nice 'life is what you make of it' subtext, with the serpent in the garden of hatred and intolerance and lack of understanding.  It also showed that the Federation...or at least those that represent it...are as human as anyone else and can be tempted by the oppurtunity to take advantage of someone.  Most TNG stuff, the people are a little too benevolent for me.

The sequences when the Enterprise is being chased by the Son'a, however, irritated me.  What was wrong with standing and fighting the evil bad guys?  Why was there a joystick on the bridge?  Etc.  Taken with the parts of the movie I liked, it sort of implied they didn't think the innocents on the planet were worth getting loud and busy over.

Sure, it's out of character for Starfleet to attack the Son'a, but once they start shooting...shoot back. ;D

I liked the movie, but there are parts I wished had been left in the editting room or, better yet, done differently to start with.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 05:28:00 pm »
I personally thought it was the best of the TNG films.  The opening was good, and it was nice to see the TNG crew finally doing what was right as compared with what was in the rules.  Agreed E shouldve shot back sooner, no  doubt.  The joystick, in concept, I think was a good idea, more intuitive than their little console things, but one lone joystick isn't enough to handle the complexities of a big space dogfight, so they kinda over simplified it, so I'd agree with the cheesy thought.
It's kinda a bummer, tho, since the TNG crew needed a teenage hormonal shot in the butt toact the way the good ol' TMP cast would have on their own in old age.  And even then, they didn't have the cohones of the orignal cast. 
I liked the action, but it seems to be a normal thing for picard to go on an away mission when the ship is in a big battle.  Except for nemesis, of course, where the ship was messed up as bad as the D was.
In the end I'd say it was a good movie, and give it a B, due to the lack of nudity.
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 05:51:36 pm »
Point #1) I personally thought it was the best of the TNG films.

Point #2) In the end I'd say it was a good movie, and give it a B, due to the lack of nudity.

Point #1) This is an oxymoron... there ARE no good TNG movies.

Point #2) If they had gotten them in movies before all the female leads had broken 40, nudity might have helped... this late- its lack of nudity was one of the few good points.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 02:01:45 am »
   There is one good one First Contact ...

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 04:35:00 am »

Sorry, even Troi getting sloshed on rotgut Tequillia came 10 years too late for actually being able to have fun taking adventage of her.

It was better than the rest, but still not of the same caliber as the original TOS cast's movies.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 11:46:12 am »

Sorry, even Troi getting sloshed on rotgut Tequillia came 10 years too late for actually being able to have fun taking adventage of her.

It was better than the rest, but still not of the same caliber as the original TOS cast's movies.
There will be nothig that can out do the Original cast in TOS and TMP up till Star Trek 6 Undiscovered Country.I do agree with on this I would say ten years to early it would of been better if they waited but then there is the Data factor.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 01:01:35 pm »

First Contact was in actuality two movies; one onboard the Enterprise and one on the surface of earth.

Onboard ship was a top-notch action movie with lots of danger, a scary villain, a coherent story, and even some character development.  The only downside was the rewroking of the Borg from a gestalt intelligence to worker bees with a queen, and giving them the ability to convert with a touch.  (Whereas on TV they had needed surgery.)  Put the hour that happened onbaord ship alongside all the TV episodes, and I'd rank it near the top.

The movie on the earth's surface, on the other hand, sucked.  It rewrote far too much of what had already been established on TOS (Sort of like what Enterprise did in its first three seasons.) and rewrote none of it for the better.  The earth that had avoided an apocolyptic WWIII (Omega Glory) was actually having an apocolyptic WWIII.  The already-existant pre-warp starfleet (Menagerie, Balance of Terror) wasn't existant as Cochrane had his breakthrough.  The Alpha-Centauran Cochrane (The Changling) was on earth.

When you intentionally make a movie based upon events already established in a previous series, what's so damn hard about watching the one or two relevant episodes to get the setting right?

(Rumor mill has it that the original script had Cochrane as a woman, and with a romantic interest in Picard.  When questioned about this, Berman and Braga reportedly said, "Don't worry; none of our audience remembers TOS."  Thank heaven that idea, at least, was shot down.)

-S'Cipio the ranter
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 04:07:26 pm »
The movie on the earth's surface, on the other hand, sucked.  It rewrote far too much of what had already been established on TOS (Sort of like what Enterprise did in its first three seasons.) and rewrote none of it for the better.  The earth that had avoided an apocolyptic WWIII (Omega Glory) was actually having an apocolyptic WWIII.

Blaim Encounter at Farpoint

The already-existant pre-warp starfleet (Menagerie, Balance of Terror) wasn't existant as Cochrane had his breakthrough.

The Colombia only crashed 18 years before the Cage, but Cochrane died 150 years before Metamorphisis (so it wasn't a pre-warp fleet).  I have no idea what you mean by Balance of Terror.  You could make an argument for Space Seed (SS Botony Bay leaving in 1996), but it doesn't necessarily suggest a fleet, just that ships existed.

The Alpha-Centauran Cochrane (The Changling) was on earth.

Long before First Contact, people wondered how he got to Alpha Centauri without Warp Drive.  The Star Trek Chronology speculated that he went there after inventing warp drive.  That is what the writers of First Contact decided to go with.  Oh, Metamorphisis, btw, changling was the one with the Nomad Space Probe :)
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 08:58:44 pm »
Blaim Encounter at Farpoint

Oh, I cursed at Q's little speech when it first aired in that one too.  Come on, Gene.  First episode out of the box for TNG.  At least act like you remember Omega Glory,  since you wrote it!  ;)

The already-existant pre-warp starfleet (Menagerie, Balance of Terror) wasn't existant as Cochrane had his breakthrough.

The Colombia only crashed 18 years before the Cage, but Cochrane died 150 years before Metamorphosis (so it wasn't a pre-warp fleet). 

Yes, that is when they crashed.  But when did they launch?   Relativity does such nasty things.  (This is a nearly 50 year-old argument that I think is really explained by the fact that the series was completely revamped between "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before", but it is still fun to speculate.)

I have no idea what you mean by Balance of Terror. 

I was thinking that the war referred to as 100 years ago in "Balance of Terror" must have used a pre-warp fleet, but you may have me with your better memory of "Metamorphosis".  I'd forgotten just how long ago Cochrane "died".

Long before First Contact, people wondered how he got to Alpha Centauri without Warp Drive. 

Parents or grandparents took 4+ relativistic years to get there on a Botany Bay class spaceship, then Cochrane was born there?

Good catch on the "Changling/Metamorphisis" error.

-S'Cipio
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 09:15:56 am by Scipio_66 »
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline 14G_Tiger

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 07:58:21 am »
I was thinking that the war referred to as 100 years ago in "Balance of Terror" must have used a pre-warp fleet, but you may have me with your better memory of "Metamorphosis".  I'd forgotten just how long ago Cochrane "died".

First Contact---2063
TOS Balance of Terror-- approx. 2263 (the 22 is the one that matters)

100 years makes it 2160's..how does first contact invalidate the whole prewarp fleet idea with the romulans?

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 05:23:15 pm »
Also, there's no way two pre-warp fleets fight each other unless they live in the same solar system (or possibly neighboring systems)
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.