Topic: Babel One Tonight  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
Babel One Tonight
« on: January 28, 2005, 09:09:38 am »
While this episode seems to copy a lot from Journey to Babel, which apparently was the fifth such Babel Conference (no Babylon 5 jokes, please ;) ).  The episode is part of a series of episodes that will involve a lo more

SPOILERS

Romulans, for starters

Just a few things that some might not like, to warn you ahead of time.

The Tellarites use the same updated makeup, meaning they are extremely ugly looking and have 5 fingers (at least, in the promo)

There is a good chance the Romulans have forhead ridges, but remember that, since Spock could hide on Romulus, some do and some don't (most TOS Romulans had helmets on, so you couldn't see their forheads).

Even worse, they might be wearing the Nemesis uniforms ???

Aside from that, enjoy :)
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
Re: Babel One Tonight
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 08:22:13 pm »
Yeah, Adam!  New York agrees!  (I loved it, too!)

So far, it's even better than the Vulcan three-parter, I think.

And it's consistent- the race that first came out with the cloak must have had earlier experiments that led up to it!

And, it's a great twist that the nascent Federation was the guinea pig!  That would have flipped the collective wigs of Kirk, Spock, and Stiles!

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 10:45:13 pm »
Well, to be sure, B&B do have some culpability, but we, too are to blame.  Enterprise was NEVER a bad show, sure there were a couple of el stinko eps, but all shows have those.  Look on our boards.  Look at all our posts.  If I didn't know better, I'd say we were ALL here in the Dynaverse boards are a bunch of Old Delancey Street yentls, kvetching that Katz's Deli is across the street, whatsdamadda with him why can't he open his store on our side of the street.

People wanted perfection.  Even TOS wasn't perfect (ooohh... negative points... I smell them) and TNG stunk the first two and half to three and half seasons.  DS9 only picked up in the last couple of seasons and Voyager was only good in the early going.  Enterprise was, overally, a pretty good show, sci-fi or not, even if there was maybe one blah season in my mind.  Even the time travel season wasn't that bad, my only complaint was that it was time travel.

If it is canceled, I for one will hurt over it a little and would put a little of the blame on the Trek fans, who often can't tell their butts from their elbows, but they know how many moles are on the back of Spock's ear tip.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 11:17:45 pm »
Romulans using holographic ships to spark wars between two other powers?  Where have I heard that one before?

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 11:22:07 pm »
:shrugs:

I dunno.  I've never heard of that trick before (TAS maybe?).

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 11:53:17 pm »
Heh... I was just... kvetching!  Uh, um... er, I mean... the details were changed to protect the gu... innocent!  That's it!

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 11:41:10 am »
So if humans are "pink-skins" to the Andorians, does that mean the Tellarites are "pig-skins?"

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 03:15:51 pm »
SPOILERS of course:

If you want to look at the scene of Romulus, check out this thread.  The same city from Nemesis is included.

Here is the version from Unification

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 11:38:27 pm »
I was just playing around in paint and came up with this.

What if they put on those sash things that Mark Lenard wore in Balance of Terror?

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 01:23:02 pm »
There is a good chance the Romulans have forhead ridges,

Not just the ridges that the TNG Romulans sported (at the same time that the Movie Romulans still had their real foreheads.)  But these Romulans really friggin' huge V-shaped double mountains on their head.

A bit surprising that Coto went even further with the prosthetics than TNG, since he's supposed to be such a TOS fan.

By the way, the makeup didn't look convincing on the actor who played the alien bounty hunter on X-Files.   I think his build is just too big and square for it to look right.  He'd have looked better in Mark Leanord's costume.

-S'Cipio

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 01:25:23 pm »
OT: I thought Manny was a woman. Will that just ruined alot of sweet sweet StarTrek Dreams for me.  ;D ;D ;D

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 09:45:09 pm »
Well, I finally caught the third part of this three part "proto-'Journey to Babel' series".  I think that as a standalone episode it would have been pretty good, assuming the storytelling would have been adjusted for a one-parter.  But the entire series of three eps was very good!  It had Romulan intrigue and trickery, quarreling Andorians and Tellarites, a mano-a-mano deathmatch, lots of space battle and fleet scenes, a severed antenna, superb all around SFX, good scripting, excellent plot... and ta-da!... the unofficial founding of the UFP!  Even the Romulan senator acknowleged that!

My only New Yorker's kvetch?  It's only that it HAD to take three episodes to do the whole story; it's not the length I object to, but something pettier- "To Be Continued... "!  It makes me squirm in my seat for a whole week.

I only hope that somehow, the series will return, as it seems to have come onto its own swimmingly!