Poll

What is the minimum refresh rate you can stand?

60 Hz (ahhhh! my eyes!)
1 (10%)
70 Hz
1 (10%)
75 Hz
2 (20%)
85 Hz (my minimum)
5 (50%)
90+ Hz
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Topic: Monitor refresh rates...  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Monitor refresh rates...
« on: January 30, 2005, 10:15:48 pm »
Just curious what people are willing to subject themselves to for increased resolution. Myself, the lowest refresh rate I will expose myself to by choice is 85 Hz. I find 60Hz altogether too perceptible and can feel the effect on my visual system (even fluorescent room light will do it).

What resolution does your refresh rate preference correspond to on your video card and monitor? Or do you select based on resolution alone and ignore refresh rate and its role in chronic exposure?

(I'm at 1024x768 @85Hz... till reasonably priced hardware can do better...)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Monitor refresh rates...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 10:46:56 pm »
For text uses such as web browsing 75 Hz (2048x1536).  For games I drop the resolution and boost to 120Hz
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 10:57:28 pm »
Ooooo, yer spoiled!  ;D 75Hz is not bad for 2048x1536, gotta get me a system that can handle those kind of specs...

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 11:08:13 pm »
I run everything in 1600x1200 at 32 bit color at 85 Hz.

The original SFC even handels 1600x1200 pretty well, barely a shutter diring first mission only... no other game gives issues at all..

this is on a 15" CASV UXGA Monitor. AKA My Laptop.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 08:43:51 am »
I hate to fiddle with the monitor controls all the time, so I leave everything at your current settings, 1024 x 768 @ at least 85 Hz and sometimes it's up to 100 Hz, but for some strange reason, every now and then, > 90 Hz doesn't work.

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 08:53:20 am »
1280x1024 @ 60Hz, and I can only tell it's flickering when the sun's shining bright against the screen and I have the brightness all the way up.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 07:20:57 pm »
Ooooo, yer spoiled!  ;D 75Hz is not bad for 2048x1536, gotta get me a system that can handle those kind of specs...

NEC MutiSync FP1370 22" monitor

The two machines hooked to that monitor with a KVM switch, both have Radeon 9000s.  I may upgrade one of them further and install the replaced 9000 in my mother's machine.

For gaming at 1280x1024 the refresh is 120Hz.

I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 10:11:50 am »
1280x1024 @ 85hz
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 06:41:40 pm »
NEC MutiSync FP1370 22" monitor

Sweet... You put that on a switch?  :o <shudders> Hope you got a real good one; I had bad experinces with cheap ones. (remote desktop or vnc on the lan was a better solution for me)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 06:55:23 pm »
Sweet... You put that on a switch?  :o <shudders> Hope you got a real good one; I had bad experinces with cheap ones. (remote desktop or vnc on the lan was a better solution for me)

Seems to be pretty good.  I've been using 2 of those switches for 2 years, no problems so far.  The second is used with a 17" Sony.