Topic: New Star Trek show  (Read 10830 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
New Star Trek show
« on: February 19, 2005, 07:56:45 am »
Paramount Confirms New Series, Releases series overview

February 18, 2005 - 1:19 PM

After months of speculation, Paramount Pictures yesterday officially announced that the next Star Trek series will be called Star Trek:Foundations.  Casting is not complete at this time.

According to a press release sent out by the studio the series will have a continuing story arc.  Each season will see a jump ahead in time to the next momentous occasion leading to wards the foundation of the Federation and of Starfleet.

Former Enterprise Executive Producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga are succeeded by Manny Coto.  Mr Coto has stated that one of his goals is to clear up apparent conflicts between the various series.

Series Overview and partial episode list:

Season One: In search of freedom.

Season One covers the years 2033-2035.  The world is descending towards chaos and WWIII.  Biological and nuclear terrorism has begun and with it the break down of central authorities and civil rights.  However there are still those who dream of a better future.  There will be guest appearances by various Star Trek alumni, though not in their original roles.  Such appearances will depend of course on contract negotiations and availability for filming.

Suppression - The year is 2033 and a back to nature faction is declared terrorist and the hunting of its leadership and members begins.  The central idea of the group is that mankind must go to the stars and begin again and that technology must serve man not man serve technology.  The members call themselves Seekers as they seek the means to implement the principle.

Professor Joesph Rand - uncast
Professor Leigh Rand - played by Grace Lee Whitney     

Underground Railroad - Various individuals that resist governmental oppression have formed an Underground Railroad and assist the Seekers and others.  Not all who travel the Railroad are peaceful.  Abraham Cochrane and his wife Samira travel the railroad with their young son.  They have a secret that would turn all hands against them if revealed.

Abraham Cochrane - uncast
Samira Cochrane -
Zefram Cochrane - uncast

Seekers - Samira Cochrane finds what she is seeking.  How her brothers and sisters left the Earth.  Now she and her husband reveal that method to the Seekers in their new home in Northern Canada.  The DY100 project records and simulator software for training pilots to fly them.  Samira and Zefram's secret is revealed, as is the fatal flaw that caused them to be left behind.

Samira Cochrane -
Simulator Voice - George Takei

Dispersal - The Defense Authority finds the Seeker base and attacks.  The Seekers are forced to disperse, many are killed.  But now they know there is a base with DY100s in various stages of completion and those who survive plan to gather there.

Samira Cochrane -
Captain Green - Wil Wheaton
Defense Authority Computer Voice - Majel Barrett-Roddenberry

Starlost - Separated from the Seekers a young couple is aided by an Iowa farmer named Tiberius and his great granddaughter Susan.  The Defense Authority intervenes.  The pregnancy of the young wife complicates things and leads to disaster. 

Tiberius - William Shatner
Susan deVeraux - uncast
George Franciscus - uncast
Damia Franciscus - uncast

Hegira - The gathered Seekers attempt to launch the DY100 fleet while under attack by the forces of the Defense Authority. 

Major Green - Wil Wheaton

Season 2:  Search the stars

Season Two covers a ten year period from 2036-2046.  The first half of the season covers the flight to Alpha Centauri.  The second half the Seekers struggles to establish themeselves among the Centaurans.  As such substantial periods of time pass between episodes.

Episode development is on going.

Season 3: Return to Earth

Season Three occurs in 2050-2055.  A rapidly aging Zefram Cochrane attempts to develop a faster than light propulsion system.  He falsely believes that he has succeeded and makes the trip to Earth where he hopes to find the genetic records which will enable him to repair the DNA damage that leaves him ageing far faster than normal and which had already killed his mother. 

His arrival in 2053 triggers a nuclear response that escalates to WWIII and destroys his ship.

Once on Earth Zefram will discover that he had only distorted time for himself and did not in fact achieve FTL flight.  In addition to his genetic research he will continue his Warp research.

Fantasies - A Dynaverse Forum member with time on his hands creates a series outline for a future Star Trek series that will never be filmed.

Episode development is on going.

Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Kane

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: New Star Trek show
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 09:07:31 am »
Where did you get this information?
"Don't try to be a great man ... just be a man. Let history make its own judgments."[/color][/size]

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 09:12:30 am »

The origin is listed at the very bottom of the post in the last Episode description.

:)
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Kane

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 09:17:28 am »

The origin is listed at the very bottom of the post in the last Episode description.

:)

Don't you think StarTrek.com would post this, if this were true?
"Don't try to be a great man ... just be a man. Let history make its own judgments."[/color][/size]

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 09:22:50 am »
Fantasies - A Dynaverse Forum member with time on his hands creates a series outline for a future Star Trek series that will never be filmed.

I think someone missed this little bit.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 09:23:52 am »

shhh!!!

Offline Kane

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 09:31:01 am »

shhh!!!

OK ok.  damn.  Its too early in the day for someone to post this Fantasy crap.

Kane

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 10:43:28 pm »
I think Wil Wheaton as Colonel Green was a dead giveaway ;)

He'll appear on a CSI, though.
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 11:49:01 pm »

Why?  That's about how I picture Punisher...
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 12:56:38 am »

Why?  That's about how I picture Punisher...

I always thought that Wil Wheaton when playing Wesley Crusher had exactly the cocky arrogant attitude that Green had.  The only difference was Crusher wasn't willing to hurt people.  Add violence to the Crusher nature and he is a natural to play Green.

When writing this up I was purposefully attempting to ensure that there were numerous chances to do filming that did not require special effects, special props or even "one of" costumes in the first season.  I also set out to fix certain violations of canon like Cochrane building his warpship on Earth in First Contact while in TOS he was "of Alpha Centauri" and the age discrepancy where he appears to be twice as old as he should be (a genetic defect inherited from his mother - one of Khans people).

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 03:37:17 pm »
Great April fool's day joke, Nemisis...

And a damnable good outline for a new series IMHO.

Maybe you should float it to Paramont? ;)
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 09:19:38 am »
It has been 7 years and I STILL think this would be a good series idea.  :)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 10:31:22 am »
It wasn't deceased it was resting.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 10:29:59 am »
or...
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline maelstorm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 01:10:11 am »
while op's outline seems cool unfortunately it would get canceld in the first season for the same reason Caprica got cancelled.  When Caprica was canceled it was because when people tune in to a BSG show they expect to see the galactica ships and space combat along with the story.  Same would be inferred by a start trek show.  They want to see the enterprise exploring new worlds ect.

It's not generally the people but mostly the suits that write the checks.  Peronsally i wouldn't mind seeing a new star trek series based on the original series but with a different ship/crew.  Maybe something dealing with orions gorns and other not so well known races to the general ST audience.

Offline maelstorm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 04:33:44 am »
Phase II or Lost Era has might vote. All different crew/cast. Or no Enterprise, something different. It be nice but whatever they do let's not do a Caprica or SGU. I hate investing a seasons worth of time and bam cancellation. So depressing.

Adam

Well considering the general public is ok with a totaly new cast playing old characters in the movies why not a series based on the animated series?  i wouldn't mind seeing the last 2 years of the 5 year mission the enterprise was on.  i never really found a copy of the animated series so i never got to see how that went.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 09:42:46 am »
TAS had horrible animation, but pretty good writing. Star trek 2009 lifted the teasing of spock in his childhood from a TAS episode, Yesteryear.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 11:25:12 am »
I think TAS is up on netflix

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 05:46:56 pm »
I'd be kinder to TAS on its animation. True, it wasn't high quality but I wouldn't call it horrible, especially compared to what else was being done on TV then (in 1973 I lived in fear of a "Bat Mite" character showing up on TAS.) They took some interesting shortcuts in order to reuse certain bits, or to not have to animate lip-synched mouths, and such.

Offline Lord Slithor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 08:26:43 am »
TAS was done by Filmation, and they were like that with all their shows, right up to He-Man.  For the time, it worked.  It was cost-effective at the very least, and was slightly better than what Hanna-Barbera was putting out at the same time  But once you got into the 1980's, and the stuff from Japan showed up (like Robotech, for example), that showed how dynamic aniamtion could be, people got tired of it real quick.

In an interesting aside, if you ever watch the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles show on Nickelodeon, Leonardo's favorite show is a very Trek-like series called "Space Heroes," that has its animation style done exactly the same way as Filmation's TAS!  Every time I see it, I can't help but smile, because they get it exactly right.