Topic: New Star Trek show  (Read 10912 times)

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Re: New Star Trek show
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 06:12:14 pm »
Actually. There is talk of a new searies.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 08:46:19 pm »
The thing I would criticize TAS for was the voice acting on the guest characters.  Young Spock in Yesteryear was painful to listen to.  That said regarding the idea of a new "Trek" series I would have to say no.  If they did one now, it wouldn't be real Star Trek, it would be that Abrams garbage.

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 12:25:09 am »
Right now we have at least two competing 'new' TOS Enterprise shows...

startreknewvoyages.com/

And...

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/

Chris Doohan (James Doohan's son) is in this one (Star Trek continues).  They premiered at Phoenix Comicon just a couple of weeks ago.

STNV has had a few cameos: Nichelle Nichols, George Takei, Walter Koenig, and a few other TOS alum...
http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/?page_id=141

I find myself liking the acting of some characters in Star Trek Continues, and the potrayals given by some of the actors in STNV/Phase II.

Specifically, I found myself liking the STC cast for Kirk a little better, as the Kirk  potrayal in STNV just feel wrong to me.   If we could 'meld' the two casts together, picking the better potrayals from each, we might end up with a real gem, but I don't see that happening.

Chris Doohan (of course) seems to do a great job in his dad's role, of course!  I've watched all of the currently released STNV episodes, and do appreciate their efforts to keep the 'feel' of the original Star Trek at least (effects wise, etc.).

As for that Abrams drivel, well I'm not an Abrams fan, and I particularly hated the beer factory being repurposed as engineering sequence, so I personally  (IMHO) wouldn't look forward to a series based on his alternate universe.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 01:33:58 am by EschelonOfJudgemnt »

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 07:03:42 pm »
if anyone has seen "word" of a new series, please throw a link up, because I don't think there's anything really on the horizon, fan-made "series" nonwithstanding.

The general idea being floated these days is that there'll be no TV while JJ-Trek is ongoing. Given the non-stellar performance of STID in the box office ($187b at the moment), we might just barely see a third JJ-Trek

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 03:00:14 pm »
Berman and Braga created a "Trek" TV show for non Trek fans.  Now Abrams has created "Trek" movies for non Trek fans.  Unsurpisingly they do poorly. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 05:45:47 pm »
if anyone has seen "word" of a new series, please throw a link up, because I don't think there's anything really on the horizon, fan-made "series" nonwithstanding.

The general idea being floated these days is that there'll be no TV while JJ-Trek is ongoing. Given the non-stellar performance of STID in the box office ($187b at the moment), we might just barely see a third JJ-Trek
I have posted some news about new shows in the news section of STG Star Trek Gamers go over there and read through them as we have no hotlinking sorry.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 10:49:11 pm »
meh. Just another oddball producer spitballing an idea in an article almost 2 years old. Almost a week doesn't go by when someone mentions the idea of a new series; just yesterday on TrekWeb a STID producer talked about it coming back to TV, but always "someday." Frakes and Dorn were both shot down recently. Everyone thinks it's a great idea, but it won't happen while JJ-Trek is "the thing." And if that doesn't burn out until after the third one (in '16 for the 50th anniversary), we shouldn't expect a new TV series for another 4 years from now.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 08:18:53 am »
then, Adam, as a TWD fan, you'll appreciate the tshirt my wife got me for our anninversary last month

We've been hearing the death knell of network TV for like decades now; while I don't think episodic series are disappearing anytime soon, by the time it comes for a new Trek, delivery might be in a different model. (Although with a TV name like JJ behind it, we might actually see ST on a major network prime time for the first time since 1969).

Speaking of different delivery, Braga recently commented that, with Netflix stepping into content delivery with "House of Cards" and "Arrested Development," a 5th season of Enterprise is a possibility. All you need to do to "vote" yes on that idea is just to watch seasons 1-4 on Netflix, since they have a sophisticated data mining system for viewers. Watch often!

3...2....1... insert anti-Braga comments now....

(ps I know there are those of you who will bad mouth him, for no good reason IMO, you gotta admit, it'd be better than JJ-Trek!)