Topic: New Reman Warbird  (Read 27004 times)

Offline pepperman

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: New Reman Warbird
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 04:40:08 pm »
Making a little progress

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 05:09:38 pm »
Just a quick question.  Is this Reman ship suppose to be smaller then the ST:Nemesis Scimitar, perhaps a support vessel maybe?  Cruiser?  Hard to get a scale of it with the pics provided.
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 03:23:23 pm »
Ok, but so was the Scimatar, well... sort of.  It was a Battleship (basically) with fighters aswell.  Is this ship suppose to be larger or smaller?
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline pepperman

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 03:32:33 pm »
With respect to a front view FW what were you thinking on the wings: flat, curved, bent down...could you give me a sketch to see what you have in mind.

With respect to the bottom hull, what shape would it have if one looked at it from the  bottom up.

Offline pepperman

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 10:44:52 am »
Something along these lines then?

Offline starship

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Brasil Starships
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 08:26:16 am »
Very good Dr. Pepper. :)

Offline pepperman

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 04:28:18 pm »
FW...is this what you had in mind for the bottom hull?  Personally, I like the cruiser idea better over the carrier.  The bottom hull just doesn't work for me.  Also, you mentioned textures in the earlier part of the thread, did you ever finish them?

Offline pepperman

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 03:12:38 pm »
Laying a few panel lines

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 07:47:27 pm »
Awesome!
if you could extrude some of the feathers you'll have some amazing stuff, but its up to you :)

Offline KBF_Gow

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 09:31:47 pm »
Awesome!
if you could extrude some of the feathers you'll have some amazing stuff, but its up to you :)

or not.  Bird shaped paintjobs are one thing, mechanical birds in space are absurd.

Im not knocking the obvious talent of the maker.  Very nice work.

Just that the concept is japanimation and extruded feathers would just make it worse.  Fine line between "ooh bird inspired starship" and "OOOh robot space bird" that too many modelmakers have crossed.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:16:14 pm by KBF_Gow »

Offline pepperman

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 02:34:20 pm »
Right now this vesion won't be able to go there as she is low poly 2176 ish.  A lot more polys for that, I'm sure.

Offline pepperman

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 07:04:18 pm »
I agree it wouldn't necessarily add to many polys; however considering the current layout of the mesh a fair amount of work would be involved.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2010, 04:50:30 pm »
Awesome!

or not.  Bird shaped paintjobs are one thing, mechanical birds in space are absurd.

Im not knocking the obvious talent of the maker.  Very nice work.

Just that the concept is japanimation and extruded feathers would just make it worse.  Fine line between "ooh bird inspired starship" and "OOOh robot space bird" that too many modelmakers have crossed.
That would be your opinion mate, but it does not speak for everyone...  TNG Romulan and Reman aesthetic is as such that they do "cross the line", because it is evident on screen, that by that time (at least for them), they can make their ships in such a way as to blend their respective cultural and artistic aesthetics with their functional ones.  You may not like it, but you can preserve your ideology for your own models  ;)  .  Besides, Fiction is just that, Fiction, as such, I wouldn't get all hot and heated about form vs function, especially in Trek. 

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 04:58:05 pm »
You may not like it, but you can preserve your ideology for your own models  ;)  .  Besides, Fiction is just that, Fiction, as such, I wouldn't get all hot and heated about form vs function, especially in Trek.

Hmm, this is the reason that unless I like a design I don't say anything.  Many really don't want a critic on the work.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 06:21:19 pm »
You may not like it, but you can preserve your ideology for your own models  ;)  .  Besides, Fiction is just that, Fiction, as such, I wouldn't get all hot and heated about form vs function, especially in Trek.

Hmm, this is the reason that unless I like a design I don't say anything.  Many really don't want a critic on the work.
I wasn't addressing his critique, which was made, I was addressing his views  on the design.
Critiquing someone's work is simple matter of addressing the work, which Gow did, but then he voiced the "absurdity" of style, which is no longer about the work, its about what he prefers and nothing else can fit (personal preference, which is fine, but the way it was presented was shallow and pointless).
So Critique = good
Rant = bad
make sense?

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 06:52:29 pm »

I wasn't addressing his critique, which was made, I was addressing his views  on the design.
Critiquing someone's work is simple matter of addressing the work, which Gow did, but then he voiced the "absurdity" of style, which is no longer about the work, its about what he prefers and nothing else can fit (personal preference, which is fine, but the way it was presented was shallow and pointless).
So Critique = good
Rant = bad
make sense?
Makes sense but, part of a critic can also be the basis of it.  It is like a critic of a movie, technically it may be the best one out there (like the work on the model) but if it isn't appealing to the eye or senses (the design) it will get a bad critic.  Everyone has different tastes that is true.  I am one along the lines I don't like the bird Rom and Reman ship style.  His statement to me seemed more along the lines of that a ships that is so designed to look like a bird, is an unlikely thing in the ST overall.  Just like I dislike klingon BOP's they are only in there because the script got leaked out and they reshot the inside stuff with Klingon instead of Romulan, but sense the CGI stuff was done and costs more the reshooting some scenes Klingons got a BOP to use.

So as said, I try not to critic, as it will include a personal opinion.  Now I have said, damn, nice ship wish I liked that style.  I have always been impressed with the modelers here, they are awesome, but sadly I will probably only use a few of the ships as most are "crap" style, in my tastes for fantasy ships.  Last word, he could have stated it better tho.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 07:03:29 pm »
Exactly.
I agree with you.   Just remember that Tact is everything... how something is presented is just as important as the something itself, otherwise you sound(doesn't mean you are) like a fanatic.  Thus, instead of helping with constructive criticisms, you are getting rants of personal bs that doesn't apply to anything, and one word "says nothings", like "awesome", or ''sucks".  Both say nothing but a person's like or dislike of something, rather than offer a critique, or a well thought-out opinion.

Offline KBF_Gow

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2010, 07:05:44 pm »

So Critique = good
Rant = bad
make sense?

You said amazing, I said absurd.   Simply polar opinion viewpoints on the design if extruded feathers were added.

Not much has changed in this forum,  same stuff, different names.   The designer of this ship made a thread about views vs commentary and the fact nothing is ever said.

Being called shallow and pointless is a prime example.  Always the same.  Make a statement about a design, and you get a statement regarding your personal character.  My opinion is the opposite of Atolm, therefore, it cannot be "well thought out".  He assumes I am all hot about the issue, and nothing is farther from the truth.   

I stand by my comments.  There is a fine line between presenting a technically viable starship design on a bird motif, and presenting a gigantic robot bird.   I didn't care for Ricks Knox's RBC for the same reason, and it isn't Reman, its just bird gone too far.

shrug.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 07:06:12 pm »
Oh BTW Pep, i like your interpretation of that ventral hull structure on my ship, very cool :)

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 07:07:25 pm »

So Critique = good
Rant = bad
make sense?

You said amazing, I said absurd.   Simply polar opinion viewpoints on the design if extruded feathers were added.

Not much has changed in this forum,  same stuff, different names.   The designer of this ship made a thread about views vs commentary and the fact nothing is ever said.

Being called shallow and pointless is a prime example.  Always the same.  Make a statement about a design, and you get a statement regarding your personal character. 

shrug.
in Balok's voice... LOL ;D