Topic: The Blue Screen of Death...  (Read 15280 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: The Blue Screen of Death...
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2005, 02:25:59 pm »
Does it happen only with GFZ installed?

If you uninstall GFZ does it still happen?

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Lord High Master of Justice
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2005, 02:28:00 pm »
I haven't uninstalled GFZ.  But it happens now without the game on, too.  I found something called Error Nuker.  I was going to try it, or should I uninstall OP first and then try to do it again?

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2005, 02:32:34 pm »
I haven't uninstalled GFZ.  But it happens now without the game on, too.  I found something called Error Nuker.  I was going to try it, or should I uninstall OP first and then try to do it again?

Whoah, if it happens without the game on it is likely unrelated.

Have you run an up-to-date full virus scan?
...and Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D and MS antispyware yet?

Are you running a software firewall?

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2005, 02:33:40 pm »
Zone Alarm and AVG are running.  The only time I take thefirewall down is when I am running the game.

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2005, 02:35:49 pm »
I swore off zone-alarm some time ago... is it updated to its latest version?

Have you updated AVG and run a FULL scan?

Have you run any Anti-spyware software?

I trust you're not running Kazaa or anything silly like that?

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2005, 02:43:18 pm »
I keep my virus scan and Zone Alarm updated.  Kazaa?  Never used it.  Anti-spyware I think is running constantly as well. 

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2005, 02:44:17 pm »
BTW:  I just tried to run a mission again.  Got the BSOD once again.  Evidently, when I don't run it, I don't get it nearly as much.  But I doubt it is the game.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2005, 03:50:44 pm »
Thats weird, I assume you've tried a simple reboot?

Anything strange and foreign looking in the process list? (ctrl-alt-del ... task manager button ... processes tab ... check show processes from all users)

Use Google (liutilities.com seems to be the first hit always and seems reliable in identifying stuff) to search for processes you do not recognise...

What exactly does the BSOD say? (rather rare in XP - have yet to see it on my install)

Did you install any new software or driver updates recently?

If all else fails perhaps try using system restore to restore to a point previous to the error? (Though I do not reccomend using system restore and have it disabled myself.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 04:05:17 pm by Bonk »

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2005, 05:29:01 pm »
Anything weird looking?  Bonk, you forget who you are talking to.  All this crap looks wierd to me!!   Haven't done a system restore.  Did a complete virus scan, nothing.  Shows that everything is well, and I have the latest updates.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2005, 05:31:17 pm »
The BSOD doesn't stay on long enough to read it.  It lasts seconds, then the system reboots.  Haven't installed anything new either.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2005, 06:07:22 pm »
That sounds like a bad device driver or perhaps even a hardware failure... you'll need to find out what the error says... even a hint would help.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2005, 06:27:03 pm »
I just wanted to add, Thank you Bonk for stepping up where my Knowledge ended. I think your helping to get him on the right path.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2005, 07:33:20 pm »
The contents of the BSoD would go a long way in sorting this out.  I did see in that very long list that was posted that DirectX 9.0c was installed.  Have you looked in Device Manager yet and see if you see any red "!" or yellow "?" in there?  The only other thing I could suggest is to put the WinXP disk in the drive and try the repair option.  But then if you have a company OEM disk that probably will not work.

In the mean time keep an eye on exactly what is running when you are experiencing these problems.  If you can figure out what is running when the problems starts try write down everything that is running at the time of the crash.  Then when the system restarts, run the same programs again but leave one program unstarted.  (My family is here now and it is hard for me to think, too many emotions are running though my head right now)  Keep repeating the process of elimination until the program no longer exists.  That should help track things down if the there is a compatibility issue between programs.  When the BSoD comes up write down what you can until the system restarts, even if it is only one letter at a time.  I've had to do the same thing before, it's not fun but usually it's  the fastest way to track down a problem.

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2005, 08:10:53 pm »
After the blue screen your computer automatically restarts? And is that why you cant see the BSOD? IF so go to Control Panel>System>Advanced and then click the settings button under Start Up and Recovery. Untick the box by automatically restart under system failure. This will freeze the blue screen and then you'll have to manually turn your computer off to reboot.

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2005, 08:19:19 pm »
My note above is for XP only though.

If you havn't really installed anything else on your computer and the problem just manifested itself suddenly I woold check your RAM with Memtest and see if your memory is experiencing errors.

Instructions can be found here: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36140. That forun is a good one for memory issues.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2005, 09:20:52 pm »
OK.. let's see what we can do here..

First and foremost, if it is only OP doing it, then I would state it is the game.. but your PM states you are limited in Media players as well so here goes.

Try doing a system Restore to about 2 or 3 days ago.. so long as it is before the problem occurred.. that is the easiest fix.. if unable to do so then here is the long road.

First get Ad-Aware SE personal edition from www.lavasoft.de and do system scan for spyware.. remove everything that Ad-Aware finds..

Next go to http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html and get Spybot Search and Destroy

install and run a scan (turn off Tea Timer in the original config)

remove everything it finds.

Next download and run Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta 1, update definitions, then scan your system.. remove all it finds...

Next Dl and reinstall the Windows XPSP 2 IT install 266 MB

You can get it here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Next update your Video Drivers and Motheroard drivers from the respective chipset creator.. AKA AMD for the motherboard chipset drivers current release and NVidia for the current Riva Drivers...

Next run a full AVG Virus scan...

now if your system still acts up like this I would think maybe your Video Card is burning out or maybe a Ram chip.... also could be incorrectly configrued IRQ channels (channels for your Hardware to operate correctly).

I would first try taking your memory in to Comp USA and getting it tested to se if it is burnt, if it is good, let them test your Vid Card, it those are good, then you have a Windows System file problem, which should have been fixed by the XPSP 2 reinstall.. soo, that leaves conflicting IRQ, which would mean a complete reinstall as you can not change IRQ in XP enviroment..., but it is not a guarantee that it will work...
You may have something else on your system conflicting with drivers or even a new peice of software conflicting with the OS... Bluescreen can be caused by something as simple as X program neexs memory that Y program is running in and since X program has priority, it tries to dump Y program.. result system lock and blue screen...

so any new software that you installed, that may have required a system restart could cause a conflict resulting in the error...
anyhow, let me know how this works.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2005, 02:43:27 am »
Don't run to CompUSA unless you plan on buying some new memory. Nothing against them but they are most probably going to boot your memory up in a machine and run Memtest or one of its variants. If you  let Memtest loop a few times or just start it before you go to bed and let it go till morning it will loop through all it tests and report if it experiences any errors. If it reports errors your Ram is either going bad or is bad.

Offline KBF-WillWeasel

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • beware the crap
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2005, 04:31:52 am »
When I was talking to AS he mentioned an nvid error, I'm thinking perhaps a vid card issue. The whole system itself is brand new save the proc and just about everything in it I can test. I doubt the mem is an issue unless it's a recent thing, the system has only been in use just over a month. But I can pull it and do my own tests on it. If anything I'll probally take one of my old, but trusted, video cards and swap it out, as right now that's my best guess.

By the way he will not be installing XP SP2, otherwise all drivers and windows updates should be up to date as of 2 months ago. Course when I was talking to him yesterday afternoon he ran for hours with no issue. So who knows. :(
Somewhere north of the Azores.
KBF always

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2005, 04:54:03 am »
After the blue screen your computer automatically restarts? And is that why you cant see the BSOD? IF so go to Control Panel>System>Advanced and then click the settings button under Start Up and Recovery. Untick the box by automatically restart under system failure. This will freeze the blue screen and then you'll have to manually turn your computer off to reboot.

:goodpost: I didn't know that, cool. Never had a BSOD issue on my XP install but if I ever do that will sure come in handy...

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2005, 09:02:52 am »
I just want to thank everyone for their input and advice.  Haven't had an issue for nearly a day now, so maybe it is going to be okay.  If I get another BSOD, I will write down what it says.