Topic: The Blue Screen of Death...  (Read 15440 times)

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
Re: The Blue Screen of Death...
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2005, 03:47:31 pm »
Oh, boy; THAT doesn't bode too well...

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2005, 04:27:25 pm »
With Norton, you must remove using Add\remove programs.. everything related to Norton, including all the stuff that states Symantec..

Next go into Documents and Settings\<user name> and Documents and Settings\All Users and look for a folder called Symantec and delete it.

Next go to Program Files and remove the Symantec folder.

Next go into Program Files\Common Settings and remove the Symantec folder,

Next run Regedit and use the Menu, Tools Find option and search for Norton and Symantec through the entire registry and delete all folders / keys...

Then if you have a registry cleaner, run it,

then install your new firewall / AV.

I would however suggest Panda Platinum Internet Securities 2005.. it contains a software firewall that is easy to configure.. basically after you do a complete install, you can just launch SFC OP, and get to the Single Player/ Multiplayer screen.. hit the windows key and wait for the panda pop up next to the task bar clock.. click Enable or  allow.. next go back into game and click the Multi-player tab and hit Dynaverse, then hit Accept, then windows key, then Panda will ask for permission again.. click Always allow..

Exit SFC OP, launch GSA and do the same thing with Panda.. This will allow GSA to work without incident and it will allow SFC OP to work without incident online or in LAN.. do this with each of your programs that need web access .. wha-la.. no ports to configure.. Panda will handle it on a program by program basis automatically.. Panda blocks file connections independantly.. as such, SFC OP in Panda will have access to all ports on your system, but no other program until you give it permission.. as such someone trying to access your system from the outside, Panda will notify you as it is not coming in on any of your running programs and panda will automatically keep them blocked until you tell panda to allow.. and even then Panda offers options of Deny this time only, Always Deny, Always Allow, Allow this time only and close (basicallly Deny this time only)... It also scans for spyware and unknown incoming threats that are not known viruses, active script blocking and invalid JS blocking and many other things... plus Panda updates 5 or 6 times a day for new virus signatures, usually pulling 2 or 3 during the check, then it gets the master file for all non urgent spyware\viruses at midnight each night which usually has about 200+ definitions...

Anyhow, it is the best software firewall and AV I have ever used.. it even notifies when someone tries to enter a backdoor on to your system.. Hyuristics enabled AV will also notify you of unknown files which it will quarentine automatically.. as such, you can go to the quarantine section and right click on the file (if your programs needs it) and select Restore, then Panda will ask how you want to restore.. Disinfect and restore or just plain restore... So far the only file Hyuristics finds on my system as unknown is the Windows Media Player 10 launch file, which should be updated by Panda in just a few days or maybe a couple weeks..

Hope that this helps.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 02:34:02 am by Pestalence »
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2005, 09:34:16 pm »
Well I ended up buying PC-Chillin Internet Security 2005.  Panda was the second choice, but for me I liked the idea of it's network protection and the fact that I have it on a CD.  I just hope that:  A.  It performs as well as the Tech magazines and other reviews say it will.  B.  That it is not a resource hog like Norton is and that it will not fowl up the registry.  And most importantly C.  That PC-Chillin will play nice with Norton Ghost and other programs that I run...  Yeah I'm keeping my fingers crossed here.   :D

I'm going to load PC-Chillin on to WinXP Pro with SP2 full version (not an update version) that I just bought.  When I'm done I may uninstall Norton (if I can) and install PC-Chillin on my Win2000 setup to give myself some type of comparison between the two.  I'll let you all know what I come up with, as this has been a good way to keep my mind off of things here.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2005, 10:31:30 pm »
Wow, Pestalence, thanks!

Jav- I'm staying tuned to hear your experiences on this!

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2005, 06:59:48 pm »
I just finished installing WinXP and a few other programs.  I had to nuke my Win2000 install because I needed the hard drive space.  PC-Chillin seems to play well with Norton Ghost and it doesn't seem to be chewing up the resources like Norton did.  PC-Chillin does seem to be a little weak when it comes to ad blocking though.  I need to do a little more digging into the program and see if I can change the settings.  Every time there is an update PC-Chillin will pop up this big window in the middle of my screen to ask if I want to download the update or not.  Again I think I just need to change some settings, but it is annoying after seeing three of them in a 5 hour time span.  So far overall I'm pretty pleased with what is going on, but it is early and I need to see change some of these settings or not.  I'll keep you posted Ed, and if anyone else has any questions or comments please feel free, I'll answer what I can.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2005, 07:47:49 pm »
I just finished installing WinXP and a few other programs. I had to nuke my Win2000 install because I needed the hard drive space. PC-Chillin seems to play well with Norton Ghost and it doesn't seem to be chewing up the resources like Norton did. PC-Chillin does seem to be a little weak when it comes to ad blocking though. I need to do a little more digging into the program and see if I can change the settings. Every time there is an update PC-Chillin will pop up this big window in the middle of my screen to ask if I want to download the update or not. Again I think I just need to change some settings, but it is annoying after seeing three of them in a 5 hour time span. So far overall I'm pretty pleased with what is going on, but it is early and I need to see change some of these settings or not. I'll keep you posted Ed, and if anyone else has any questions or comments please feel free, I'll answer what I can.

For Ad Blocking.. if you use Internet Explorer from XPSP2 update, just turn on the built in POP Up blocker.. it will work in conjunction with your AV-Ad blocker to help almost totally eliminate ads.. also if you like I can help you configure IE to be much more secure and to help eliminate about 90% of spyware from entering your system.. and this is without AV or Firewall going...

Anyhow.. hope that this helps.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Lord High Master of Justice
  • Commander
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2005, 08:00:50 am »
Well, WW and I hooked up my router last night (mostly WW.  I watched.), so now I have the hardware firewall up.  I am going to configure it on my next day off so I can play OP online.  System is now running really good.

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2005, 10:25:40 am »
Time to update:  WW is going to set my router up.  I did a search, read all the directions that you guys have posted on it, and realized that, once again, you are speaking that strange, computer language that only people within the inner circle comprehend.  I always tell Will he has a microchip in his butt.   I am beginning to think there are more people out there that are the same way.
   Now I realize why I avoided computers for so long.  The language is way out of what I understand...

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2005, 02:19:16 pm »
LOL!

Your comment reminds me of the scene in Space: Above and Beyond when the colonel(?), a clone, opens himself up somewhere on his neck around his ear and pulls out a microchip.  I forgot if it was to control vertigo or give him enhanced piloting skills or whatever, but even though there was no gore, nothing obscene, the scene shocked me.  You say WW has one in his butt, eh?

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2005, 03:54:43 pm »
Well, I didn't mean that I've checked, or ever intend to.  Just when people start talking like this, I realize I am really out of date.

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2005, 05:34:25 pm »

For Ad Blocking.. if you use Internet Explorer from XPSP2 update, just turn on the built in POP Up blocker.. it will work in conjunction with your AV-Ad blocker to help almost totally eliminate ads.. also if you like I can help you configure IE to be much more secure and to help eliminate about 90% of spyware from entering your system.. and this is without AV or Firewall going...

Thanks Pestalence.  I've been using Firefox but I'll give that a try it will help the spouse anyway.  I sure hope the next version of IE will have tabbed browsing.

Another update about PC-Chillin.  First: PC-Chillin has no ad blocking what so ever, which is a huge weak point as far as I'm concerned.  This is the one thing that Norton did very well.  I think that PC-Chillin will have to add that ad-blocking feature next year for me to be a repeat customer.  Second:  I was able to turn off the "Outbreak Warning System", I think I would have been totally upset if there was a big pop-up on my screen every time the Internet sneezed.  Third:  Here is the good part, PC-Chillin has an option built in to check a system for "known Microsoft security vulnerabilities".  When I clicked the scan button PC-Chillin found a Microsoft Office 2000 update that I needed.  PC-Chillin didn't catch all the updates that I needed but it did catch the "High Risk" update.  Something I forgot to do when I installed Office.  So I have to give PC-Chillin a big thumbs-up for that one.

I haven't had the chance to test PC-Chillin with gaming environment yet so I'm going to withhold final judgment until then.  Personally this doesn't reflect well on the Tech magazine's staff (CPU magazine in particular) that gave PC-Chillin an almost perfect score.  Not that I relied on them totally but it did influence my decision.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2005, 05:55:37 pm »
Hey, opinions, folks-

What say you if I opt to keep (renew subscription) to Norton AV, Systemworks, Firewall, etc.?

Is it better to get rid of it and try something else or continue on with it?  I wonder if it is not what is responsible for raising the running temp of my Athlon 64 3000+ a few degrees...

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2005, 08:44:50 pm »

Thanks Pestalence. I've been using Firefox but I'll give that a try it will help the spouse anyway. I sure hope the next version of IE will have tabbed browsing.

Another update about PC-Chillin. First: PC-Chillin has no ad blocking what so ever, which is a huge weak point as far as I'm concerned. This is the one thing that Norton did very well. I think that PC-Chillin will have to add that ad-blocking feature next year for me to be a repeat customer. Second: I was able to turn off the "Outbreak Warning System", I think I would have been totally upset if there was a big pop-up on my screen every time the Internet sneezed. Third: Here is the good part, PC-Chillin has an option built in to check a system for "known Microsoft security vulnerabilities". When I clicked the scan button PC-Chillin found a Microsoft Office 2000 update that I needed. PC-Chillin didn't catch all the updates that I needed but it did catch the "High Risk" update. Something I forgot to do when I installed Office. So I have to give PC-Chillin a big thumbs-up for that one.

I haven't had the chance to test PC-Chillin with gaming environment yet so I'm going to withhold final judgment until then. Personally this doesn't reflect well on the Tech magazine's staff (CPU magazine in particular) that gave PC-Chillin an almost perfect score. Not that I relied on them totally but it did influence my decision.

Here is a screen shot of how Panda looks and what it does.. I'm not going to show the sub features.. but this is the Panda Internet Securities 2005...

As you can see it has many options that conventional AV does not have.. plus the firewall is software specific.. just launch the program.. if it is trying to access the net.. you can allow or deny.. you can even go in and set up custom ports for programs to use instead of giving the program automatic port usage...

Anyhow.. I have no problems connecting to the Dynaverse is any game I have for SFC as all I did was launch game, when at Single Player / Multiplayer screen.. windows key.. give SFC OP permission (it will pop up notify next to clock asking for permission of firewall), then go back into game, click Multi-Player, click Dynaverse, Click Accept on age verify, window key again, grant entry, exited game.. launched GSA, gave GSA permissions and granted entry.. relaunched OP, and wha-la.. connected to Dynaverse first try.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2005, 08:48:00 pm »
Hey, opinions, folks-

What say you if I opt to keep (renew subscription) to Norton AV, Systemworks, Firewall, etc.?

Is it better to get rid of it and try something else or continue on with it? I wonder if it is not what is responsible for raising the running temp of my Athlon 64 3000+ a few degrees...

Norton is so system invasive, it drops system performance by at least 20% and it is almost classified as a virus in itself.. as such, IMHO, get rid of it and go with something else.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2005, 09:01:06 pm »
Hee hee hee...
... I wonder if it isn't to a large degree responsible for my SFC1 lag!  ;D

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2005, 09:16:22 pm »
Norton's Active scan for AV scans all files in use constantly.. it is good protection measure.. however it interferes with programs that are swap file intensive.. as such, it would effect SFC 1... also check for the new install instructions I listed for SFC 1.. Step 8 and 9 is changed.. also I posted that you should NOT use compatibility mode for SFC 1.. it is a part of the cause of lag.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2005, 06:37:10 pm »
Our recent D.net Apache crashes ultimately were due to Symantec/Norton AV interfering with Apache's use of Winsock 2's AcceptEx()... (and some bad thread settings) so in addition to slowing the server down overall, I am forced to use Apache's slower unix style Accept() to stabilise the webserver... Ain't Norton/Windows grand!  ::)

<---- QNX fan!  ;D

http://www.frescos.dns2go.com:30033/uaw/   <---- My QNX 6.3.0 (Apache 2.0.50 php 5.0.0 MySQL 4.0.18) server!

(once up and configured that sucker only goes down with the power or connection or dns providor failure or if I stress it with a bad php script or sql query in development, lol... I really need to recompile the apache/php from the latest sources soon though... as dynamic modules this time as I think I've figured out the licencing of qcc/gcc in QNX-NC (non-commercial))
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 06:58:16 pm by Bonk »

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2005, 04:43:56 am »
OK last update about PC-chillin, I finally had the time to play a little Neverwinter Nights on-line last night.  As soon as the game tried to connect on-line PC-chillin popped up a warning screen asking if I wanted to allow this program access to the Internet.  This pop-up appeared on top of the full screen game.  As soon as I clicked that it was ok, PC-chillin stayed completely out of my way.  I always had problems with Norton on this issue.  Also PC-chillin update feature is extremely fast, not at all like Norton's live update.  Once you get the settings worked out (and that takes some time) PC-chillin seems to work very well.  From what little I've seen it seems to be gaming friendly.  I really hate the fact that it doesn't have a ad-blocking feature.  If it wasn't for the kids I wouldn't worry about but... *sigh*.  If next year PC-chillin doesn't have ad-blocking added to it's line up then I may look into buying PC-chillin antivirus and Norton firewall.

Overall while I'm not as happy with PC-chillin as CPU magazine's staff seem to be (they gave it 4.5cpu's out of 5).  It is a very good program once you learn how to use it as long as you don't need any form of ad-blocking.