Topic: Negitive Karma  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Red_Green

• Lt.
  • Whatever
Negitive Karma
« on: March 16, 2005, 11:52:10 pm »
I was gone aprox 6-7 weeks. During that time I was not here, I recieved about a dozen bad Karma.  If someone still has a problem with  me would you please contact me so we can deal with it like men.

The most creative person hides his sources the best!

"The universe hates you. Deal with it!"

Spoken by Harper in a 1st season episode of Andromeda.

"Pesimism is not a survival trait"

Offline MajorRacal

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • MajorRacal's Micro Shipyards
Re: Negitive Karma
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 11:54:46 am »
What is Karma even there for?  I can see no real use for the feature as it stands.

MajorRacal

Offline Major A Payne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 12:06:32 pm »
I wonder why, with having a karma feature, the person who receives karma can't check to see which member it was that gave them good or bad. It seems a little unfair that it can be done anonymously.

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Keep your Sword sharp...
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • ...and your intention true.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 12:11:29 pm »
Its worse than stupid, its worse than useless. Just ignore it - it means nothing. At first it bothered me like yourself but really once you think about it it holds no value, nobody cares (or should)

Offline Red_Green

• Lt.
  • Whatever
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 12:26:53 pm »
Yea I guess I will have to ignore it.   It just reminds me of grade school stuff. I gave  everyone here +1 positve.

I see I just got another negative so obviously someone holds a grudge against me.  What I think it is, is someone is trying to get a rise out of me. I read advice columbs that say in cases like this either don't let it bother you, thus the person doing it won't get any  satisfaction from it. Or confronting them about said behavior and resolving the issue. Since its anyomous doing the latter is not possible.

All I can say is since I can't resolve what ever the anyomous persons's dispute is. Them giving me negative kharma at this point is more a reflection of them then it is of me.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 12:38:14 pm by red_green »

Offline Victory

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • There is no spoon.....
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 12:27:34 pm »
As you can see, I have more negitives than positives. That's because I speak my mind and people don't like it. It's not like I give a frak, but still.....
I am Victory, and I approved this message

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 12:35:44 pm »
Hey Red, I feel the same way you do.  Whenever I toggle the switch, whether it is positive or negative points, I tell the guy... and why, too.

Offline Red_Green

• Lt.
  • Whatever
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 01:47:13 pm »
Actually I believe I figured  out who has been doing it. See the user profile shows when everyone was last active. Based on the fact I have maybe 5 people  here that totally dispise me. I happen to notice that only 1 of them was active today. Exactly the same time that my last negative Karma appeared. So to the person giving me - karma once every 12 hours, hey what ever gets you off I guess. Maybe when I reach 100 I will get an award or something for being the forums biggests bastard. :dance:

Ok now on with the rest of my life. Wait I forgot I don't have a life. :P

Ravok

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 01:57:03 pm »
You know what this has been going on for too long. We where told that something would be done about it if it was abused and nothing at all is happening. Frankly this has me disappointed to no end.
 And its one of the main reasons i have not donated anything yet ( Im really not making it up the same thing has happened to me.)

2 times i have been ready to say F**k this place and split >:( but i was talked out of it by people here on the board.

By letting these people get away with this, only causes bad feelings and further divides us.

And the thing that really sucks is that its usually the same people doing it over and over again.

Why is nothing being done about this? This is NOT the first time this has been brought up. Do you guys enjoy seeing us be back stabbed?

Are you too busy now to deal with it? Or do you just not care.

Its screwing up the enjoy ment of people here whether or not you guys want to deal with it.

I'm sorry if i sound aggravated or Po'd but I am.

It would be nice for a change to get an official responce to this for once,instead of silence. :)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 02:00:45 pm »
Disabled; story over. Find something else to complain about.

I am different in that I watch everything very carefully and take decisive action quickly.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 02:06:16 pm »
   Thanks Bonk. :)  :)

Offline Mackie

• Puu jok' unhoittaa juurensa, kaatuu.
  • Lt. Commander
  • The tree that forgets its roots, will fall.
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 02:16:54 pm »
I was gone aprox 6-7 weeks. During that time I was not here, I recieved about a dozen bad Karma.  If someone still has a problem with  me would you please contact me so we can deal with it like men.

dont be such pussy, least you can tell people youre a badass cause you got such a bad rep ;D
(still must admit its odd, im a so called "nazi" yet people dont give me much of negative karma :p )
http://www.stupidfusion.com

Ravok

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 02:18:36 pm »
 Thanks Bonk But it was causing more problems than anything.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 03:51:43 pm »
I overstepped my bounds of responsibilty on this one, sorry guys... its been put to a moderator vote. Hopefully the decision will stand. Karma re-enabled in the meantime.  :-\

Ravok

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 03:55:14 pm »
I overstepped my bounds of responsibilty on this one, sorry guys... its been put to a moderator vote. Hopefully the decision will stand. Karma re-enabled in the meantime.  :-\

With all the hassle is giving you guys I hope so.

Have you guys thought of just disabling it for the people abusing it? Or is that possible?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 03:56:59 pm »

With all the hassle is giving you guys I hope so.

Have you guys thought of just disabling it for the people abusing it? Or is that possible?

Not sure if possible, may take coding, that level of manual maintenance is unacceptable to me anyway. Unless someone is willing to commit to permanently policing it.

Ravok

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2005, 04:08:23 pm »
I hate it so much i would gladly do it, and be willing to forfit my ability to give or get it to be fair.
 I'm sure you could find somebody more qualified as well. ;D :lol:

That way we could keep it for the people who can act like adults.

I mean face it my positive score is pretty high , the only reason this upsets me so much is the constant abuse.

People should be able to speak honestly about unpopular things with out retribution.
 But at the same time it could serve to show people they are being rude or abusive.

Offline wulf111

• Member of OutaLance Shipyards
  • Lt.
  • OutaLance, Where Dreams Become a Reality
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2005, 05:06:41 pm »
well i couldnt care less about the karma stuff it has no real value i wouldnt mind seeing it gone altogether

Chuck Norris floats like a butterfly and stings like a tomahawk missile. At mach 3. In the face.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2005, 06:21:41 pm »
I wonder why, with having a karma feature, the person who receives karma can't check to see which member it was that gave them good or bad. It seems a little unfair that it can be done anonymously.

agreed. and you can't spend it on say, a alrger avatar or something. People keep giving it to me as well and I haven't pissed anyone off recently that I know of. Ofocurse if I simply don't say their ship is the greatest thing since the wheel I get a few negs so I really don't pay too much attn any more.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2005, 07:45:44 pm »
I could try and think of what reason the karma system is there for (and I have thought of one, yet won't state it), but I can't really see any validly-pointful reason to have it.  But seeing as some people care about it and threads like this are made, I say it's best to rid of it, as it doesn't really serve any very-useful purpose to the community.  I'd say threads like this and reactions on karma is proof that karma may make things worse.  As to how worse, that's up to you to decide.  But it does make things worse, if only slightly. 
I don't care for it, but I'd rather not see things like karma used like a match to start a flamefest.  That depends on if anyone would decide to light it and throw it onto some gasoline, and there is some potential for that.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher