Topic: EAW CD Key problem. What do I do now??  (Read 102463 times)

Offline jbgestl

• Ensign
Re: EAW CD Key problem. What do I do now??
« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2006, 04:47:19 pm »
Hello Everyone. I seem to be a year behind!
I bought this game years ago & when I couldn't get it to work I moved on to other things. A few months later I bought it again (forgetting that I already had it). Just the other day I finished Wing Commander Prophecy (It took me years!) I was ready to reinstall one of my older games that I never finished when I found this one that I never even started!

I will PM Bonk. Hopefully He can still help me out.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2006, 12:51:21 pm »
Apologies, I have been away for a time.

I'll send you a PM with the required info for approval shortly, I just need to address a few other issues first. Hopefully you haven't given up on us yet. Keep an eye on your PMs, I should be able to get to it later today or tomorrow.

Offline jbgestl

• Ensign
« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2006, 12:33:21 pm »
Everyone,

As I'm sure you all already know, Bonk iis a man of his word.
I am now able to play the game, & am extremely happy!

JB

Offline 14G_Tiger

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2006, 10:26:46 pm »
and to think of all the people that didnt find this place....

Heavens Eagle

« Reply #144 on: July 29, 2006, 01:12:22 am »
Lucky for me I have all the original release CD's with keys.  Glad you guys are still showing up.  Feel sorry for those that don't have the know how to look for this site.  A buddy of mine finally picked up OP a while back and he has had a blast with it.

Current news is I am looking for someone with code experience to possibly help finish ShipEdit for the current versions of OP and EAW.  For all those new folks, SE is the easiest and best way to modify your shiplist files.

Offline RandallW

• Ensign
« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2006, 02:58:06 am »
I bought the game a few years ago; I believe the source was Chips And Bits. 

The key on the CD case did not work of course, so I sent mail to Taldren ( obviously still in business at the time ) and they sent me the correct code.

I would not fault KB Toys or any of the other sellers that the codes are wrong; they do have responsibility to try to stop selling the game ONCE they know the codes are bad.  It's Taldren's ( or Interplay's ) fault that faulty codes were sent.

Haven't played the game in a while; finished the Fed campaign then moved on to other entertainment.

Never got around to buying Orion Pirates.

Offline EddieB

• Ensign
« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2006, 09:36:40 am »
Well I do hate to sound a like a broken record, but seeing as I am a new user to this forum, I to have to say that I only found it because I brought the game and having the same problems as everyone else.  although, I don't know who the OP's are... I guess I'll keep reading the other posts, but just to make sure we're all on the same page... I purchased Empires At War, and am unable to play the game because the CD key is in error.  Got it at Sam's club.  The game is at home, where my internet connection has been stopped for "troubleshooting" I hate AT&T sometimes, but I digress....
I can't prove that I own it yet, so I'll send my screen shot when I get back to work with it.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2006, 01:11:24 am »
We have a procedure to handle such situations.

I will be away from Dyaverse.net as of tomorrow, so please PM FA_Frey_XC and he should be able to help you, though he is very busy lately so please be patient, and thanks for your interest in SFC.

Offline guardianknight

• Ensign
« Reply #148 on: September 04, 2006, 02:24:59 am »
I must admit that I'm amazed that this topic is still active, I bought eaw more than two years ago, ran into this problem and gave up, its been sitting on my self since then, now there is hope I will do as the others have and I can't wait to play it.

Offline captaindww

• Ensign
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2006, 09:31:36 am »
I have the same problem.  Wrong key on cd case.  I guess I'll get in-line w/everyone else...

Offline Capt Jeff

• 1AF
  • Lt.
    • Facebook
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2006, 12:23:49 pm »
For you last two guys since Bonks reply above, please PM Frey  (Read  bonks post and click on Frey's name), and  explain that you have EAW and got the wrong key.  He should be able to help you out.  Patience please though, as he is busy  ;)

BTW, if you like EAW, you should look into OP.  It's the same game, just with more goodies, and there is still a pretty active Dynaverse II online community  (See Dynaverse II experience forums).
Capt Jeff

Former SFC2.NET Administrator
C.O., Heavy Command Cruiser
USS Crasher NCC 1733

1AF---Friendship, Honor, Fun.  It's what we Play For.

Offline daniel4ever

• Ensign
« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2006, 09:54:49 pm »
Please help! I am new here. My son has Empires at War, it was installed on his computer, but his dad upgraded it. The problem is that when it was originally installed the key did not work, we contacted the company, they sent us a new one that did work. But, now that we need to reinstall it on his newer computer, we cannot find the key they sent us - all we have is the key on the jewel box that does not work. I have been searching for a couple of months now for help - the comany is out of business I think? To get this game working would be a wonderful Christmas gift for my son! Thank you if you can help me!

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2006, 10:53:40 pm »
Same instruction daniel....send frey a private message.....meet some minimum proof that you in fact own EAW and it's not a pirated copy....and he'll help you out...

But as others have said...frey is a rather busy man....it might take a while....but if you've waited a couple months...a few days shouldnt be a problem...if you dont hear back from him in a few days...send another private message..but dont spam him...

You might also try and find a copy of Orion Pirates on eBAY...since we play SFC2:Orion pirates now for the most part...

You've found the right place...but it's not an automatic thing... ;)

Offline irishfarmer

• Ensign
« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2006, 11:50:01 am »
I have sent a note, as instructed above.  I too was tripped up on this issue a year ago, and recently found my copy, and tried again with a new computer I was given.

Just a thought, but the company that made this game (SFC II) is gone. You would actually be helping to support SFC gaming and the stores supporting this game by simply posting the code on line.  Its not like someone is missing out on their revenue since the games designers are out of business.  And you will be saving yourselves this headache!

Just a thougt to try and help.

Irishfarmer

Offline KBF-Crim

• Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2006, 04:12:54 pm »
I have sent a note, as instructed above.  I too was tripped up on this issue a year ago, and recently found my copy, and tried again with a new computer I was given.

Just a thought, but the company that made this game (SFC II) is gone. You would actually be helping to support SFC gaming and the stores supporting this game by simply posting the code on line.  Its not like someone is missing out on their revenue since the games designers are out of business.  And you will be saving yourselves this headache!

Just a thougt to try and help.

Irishfarmer

Um...no...we will continue to assist those who bought SFC2 or Op with a new functional key....but posting such coding on the net will allow people to pirate the games illegally....and we wont do that....we have permission to issue keys....and that's it...

Offline irishfarmer

• Ensign
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2006, 06:41:16 pm »
People can always make copies of a game and then pass the working code key with it.  Clearly  what the people on this site are concerned about is illegal, or they would not require having confirmation of sale (however you do that, anyway).   But if you have a pirated copy, you probably will make sure that you have a working key, or if you are making them you will publish them with a working key.  And I certainly know the difference between pirated software in the marketplace vs. legit software.  If it is not legit, i won't buy it, out of concern that I will get a bad copy with bad security, much less the fact that its the wrong thing to do anyway.

If you have the authorization to pass out the key, and that is it, thats fine.  But the people who made the game should do the right thing and make the code public.  That way they can give back to the players who have already paid their money for the game, but can't play it because of THEIR error.

By the way, do you still email frey?  I sent him one a couple of days ago and have not heard from him.  He's either busy or not comin' round no more.  Is there someone else to contact?  What proof do you need.  I have the box, the little folder and the book...

Irishfarmer

Offline KBF-Crim

• Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2006, 12:18:52 am »
People can always make copies of a game and then pass the working code key with it.

Yes they can make a zillion copies...but with one one key...one one copy can play online at a time...

Clearly  what the people on this site are concerned about is illegal, or they would not require having confirmation of sale (however you do that, anyway).

Correct....we have process that satisfies a reasonable assurance that you own the game....even if you bought it used...

But if you have a pirated copy, you probably will make sure that you have a working key, or if you are making them you will publish them with a working key.

See above....each disk comes with a unique key....if that key is in use somewhere else....it wont work...

And I certainly know the difference between pirated software in the marketplace vs. legit software.

No one is doubting that you bought it...or that you are not legit...

Interplay shiped many copies with bad keys....they shipped OP...with EAW keys even...

If it is not legit, i won't buy it, out of concern that I will get a bad copy with bad security, much less the fact that its the wrong thing to do anyway.

No doubt...

If you have the authorization to pass out the key, and that is it, thats fine. 

Yeppers...

But the people who made the game should do the right thing and make the code public.  That way they can give back to the players who have already paid their money for the game, but can't play it because of THEIR error.

Slight problem with that....there is no one left "who made the game" as a legal entity...Taldren is bankrupt and out of business...

By the way, do you still email frey?  I sent him one a couple of days ago and have not heard from him.  He's either busy or not comin' round no more.  Is there someone else to contact?  What proof do you need.  I have the box, the little folder and the book...

Irishfarmer

Bonk was doing the CD key aid.....but he took a job way up north and has no internet access at the moment...and for the near future...

To my knowlege...Frey is the man to talk too...be patient...it takes a few days sometimes....it's not unusual....Frey owns the site...he is not gone for long.....but he usually gone for a day or two...

Offline irishfarmer

• Ensign
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2006, 07:57:00 pm »
Can you pm me and let me know what other proof you need?  I am happy to furnish whatever you need....

Offline daniel4ever

• Ensign
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2006, 08:29:12 am »
Same instruction daniel....send frey a private message.....meet some minimum proof that you in fact own EAW and it's not a pirated copy....and he'll help you out...

But as others have said...frey is a rather busy man....it might take a while....but if you've waited a couple months...a few days shouldnt be a problem...if you dont hear back from him in a few days...send another private message..but dont spam him...

You might also try and find a copy of Orion Pirates on eBAY...since we play SFC2:Orion pirates now for the most part...

You've found the right place...but it's not an automatic thing... ;)

Thanks - I will do that - I am so sorry - I had not checked back - the holiday preps got the best of me. But, you are very right, that we have waited this long, a bit longer will not matter. I already told my son to not get his hopes up, so if something good does happen, he will be doubly thrilled.  Question - Orion Pirates does not have the same bad code key issue? Oh, and does it run on Windows 2000? His upgraded computer did not go all the way to XP.

Thanks again!!

Offline avatar

• Ensign
« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2007, 05:22:25 am »
Is there any way around this issue? I actually had it working at one point but now it no longer works. I know this is an older game but I enjoyed it and wanted to play again.