Topic: PC Troubleshooting...  (Read 65966 times)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
Re: PC Troubleshooting...
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2014, 09:50:47 pm »
I got a problem with my pc. Its slow to do about anything. It got now 3 gig of ram, I have defrag it, scan for virus and still its slow. I have about 20 gig of free space on it. Now I have the defective 128mb graphic card, I got a 64mb graphic card, but its kinda slow for the game Settlers heritage of kings. The laptop got only 1.5 gig of ram and a 128mb graphic card and it work better. Its (I think less powerfull) and yet going better. My desktop is a pentium 4 3.40Ghz from Dell. Its not new and can't find a use computer equal or superior to it in cpu power.

So I was wondering what could it be that is slow to anything I do. Is it possible that its spyware? if so what free and fully working software I can use? Or anything I can do?

I'm tired of putting money in it. I change a defective dvd reader, I keep changing the graphic card because they are defective (well I don't have to pay for it) and I add some ram and yet its just a bit faster, but not as fast as this laptop.

A laptop is limited, can only add ram and bigger HD, maybe put a dvd burner. Can't do anything for the graphic card.

I did find a AGP I think graphic card of 512meg for like 65$ new, but the problem is should I buy it or try to find something else to replace my desktop instead?

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2014, 11:48:38 pm »
At this point IMHO I'd save the money towards a new PC.  Otherwise that thing is likely to nickel and dime you.  BTW how old is your hard drive?

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2014, 06:38:37 am »
Well I buy that computer in December 2012. Its a Dell Dimension 8300. Its not new so I don't know how hold it is.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2014, 07:25:09 am »
This is a computer that I have see. It got a cassette tape on it, a CD player, something to do with TV, a cigarette lighter and a cup older (both working) and a micro ship reader for the pictures.

Don't know what's in it, but its weird tough.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2014, 04:13:35 pm »
Must be an MSGM branded machine. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2014, 07:42:38 am »
here the info on it. For the price I can go ask him.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2016, 06:39:37 pm »
Bad new. Saturday my computer just stop working. I did heard bad sound from one or both HD some days before it happen, I was going to do a back up, manage to save my bookmark and a folder with images and stories before the second HD disapear from the registry. It no longer show that it was there, I try to reboot, but the com wont go to the bios. I can heard and fel the main HD move, but it wont boot. No display, no audio signal, nothing.

I got two HD, a 450 or 500 gig and a 200 gig from Maxtor. this one was the only HD on the old computer and was kinda running fine.

So I got stock or lost 700 gig of data. Friday I have someone who will check it. I manage to get a old Intel Celeron with 1.5 gig of ram with Win XP. (I prefer XP to win 7, so much easyer to use)

But if the motherboard (well maybe the bios) need to be replace I don't have that money. This backup is too old to run Diablo 3 and any newer games. Just not sure what I can do ?

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2016, 10:02:26 am »
Well everything indicate that its the motherboard that is finish, the guy try another video card, no signal, he try with only one ram, no reaction, no HDs, no reaction.

I know that the rams are OK since I put them in my sister's com and now its 4 gig instead of 2.

I will have to save money to get a good computer so I can run Diabo3

Now I have a OLD Pentium D, with 1.5 gig of ram, 80 gig of HD. All I can do is play old games and continue writing my stories.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2017, 06:04:39 pm »
It seem that my main computer having problem after I clean it up with a can of air. When I'm on the net, I got black that cover a lot of the page. I move the cursor and seem to be able to see part of the page (any page do that)

The motherboard is 7 years old, don't know about the cpu, I need to test the ram, but the HDDS are ok, I have scan them last mont and the all green.

I don't know if the video card might be dying, so I could use the one on the mother board to see. But that would mean I have to spend money on another video card.

I have one in mind that would be for my next computer.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2017, 12:41:04 pm »
Check to make sure that when cleaning the system you didn't move cables to be too close to any of the circuit boards.  Also make sure all your boards are firmly seated. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2017, 09:43:32 am »
I got a old Intel Celeron D and the fan on the cpu is noisy, mostly when I turn it on.

It run fast and slowdown a bit, I clean it but the fan is still noisy, so its annoying and I can't let it on. I use it for writing or at lest I want to.

Any idea what I can do to fix it?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2017, 01:37:16 pm »
I had the same problem with an Athlon once.  I had an old heat sink/fan combo and just swapped the fans.  Easier than doing the whole thing if you have an old one handy or can get one. 

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2017, 11:33:31 am »
I don,t have that. A few power cord and a old 20 gig HD  :)

How does that part work?