Topic: 3d Screen only $40,000  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
3d Screen only $40,000
« on: June 05, 2005, 10:18:01 am »
Link to full article

"On a 2D screen, a protein molecule looks like tangled spaghetti. But when it appears in our machine, you begin to fully grasp its 3D structure," says Gregg Favalora of Actuality Systems, which is behind the $40,000 display.

As Favalora walks around his display, a 3D computer model of a protein molecule hovers inside its smoky white soccer-ball-sized sphere. At the click of a mouse, the molecule disappears and is replaced by images of two airliners on a collision course in simulated 3D airspace.

Favalora is showing off his Massachusetts-based company's new product, Perspecta 1.9. It's the first 3D display that lets users view 3D moving images by walking all the way around it, view from on top or below, or zoom in and out in real time. It was unveiled last week at the Society for Information Display's annual exhibition in Boston.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: 3d Screen only $40,000
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 01:49:04 pm »
I'm sure it will be in the bargin bin in six months.   ;D

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 03:28:36 pm »
Oh, no, not at all!  I can see the utility for such a device, only I can't see the paying the cost.  If he could somehow make it affordable to most research (note, I said most, not just the few in some well greased places) people, he could conceivably make not only decent profit, but have contributed a boon to man.  He is right, it isn't impossible to imagine the three dimensionality of something on a two dimensional plane, but boy, is it ever hard!

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 03:38:23 pm »
I was only making a joke based on the fast paced advancement in the computer world.  In the same fashion as most computer games are seemingly in the bargin bin after only six months.  Personally I would love to play games on a true 3D screen.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 04:46:27 pm »
Duh.  I must be stuck in prosaic mode today.

Boy imagine some of our coolest technologies or basic discoveries, like wireless Internet, broadband, photonic computing, DVDs, flash drives, etc. being obsolete because we've got better stuff!

Ah, now imagine if good old fashioned standby technology like rocket engines, the internal combustion engine, could be technologically upgraded drastically or made obsolete because we have better stuff...

... I'd snap up a BMW or Jaguar in the bargain bin for a few bucks!

But seriously, my opinion is that this guy really only has the display end to improve, as I think our programmers all over the world are up to the task of making software able to handle 3D conjurations!  There's got to be a better monitor than a "smoke filled globe".