Poll

What do you think so far (bare in mind this is only an early alpha)?

A Good Start
7 (36.8%)
Very poor, terrible graphics.
0 (0%)
Going in the wrong direction
0 (0%)
Doesn't work
1 (5.3%)
Amazaing for only 4 days work.
11 (57.9%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Topic: Star Trek: Trader new game project  (Read 12844 times)

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
Star Trek: Trader new game project
« on: June 08, 2005, 08:55:18 am »
Hi all, seeing as there is no decent star trek game due for a while, I started a new game called Star Trek: Trader which hopefully will act like an X2 style game but set in the ST universe. It will be an open ended game that starts off in the TOS timeline and progressed onwards though the years until post TNG, covering a few of hundred years. Due in this time new starships will be made avilible on the market to civilian traders within the federation, romulan, klingon and friengi empires. Now, obviousally starfleet would never allow a civilian to buy a top of the line galaxy class when the enterprise is the flag ship, but you will be able to get your hands on older technolgy such as Oberth, consitution, and low grade excelsior classes as well as a wide range of shuttles and transport ships for you to make latinum with. Eventually, as the code is refined, you will be able to bribe your way though boarders, smuggle contriband in, and have criminal records for each empire each with their own way of dealing with problems. I.e. the klingons will pretty much shoot on sight, the romulans will force you do take under cover missions if caught, the friengi can be bribed, and the federation will stick you on trial and lock you way forcing you to start over again after x number of years have past. You will be able to hide assets of cause however who knows what will happen in a year, or ten years?

The game engine is fully 3D and Direct X 9 compliant, it is able to produce all the advanced features found in the most modern ATI and Geforce FX/ GT series graphics cards. Once the game is realised, the source code will be made avilible to the community so alterations, and additions can be made easily.

Here are some earily screen shots of the Alpha Demo 0.04

At the moment, collision detection is limited to a message saying "collision detected" and then the obejcts just pass though each other, but at this point it's more about improving the graphics engine then adding realistic physics, which will be added by version 0.1. The Transport displayed is fully manuverable, with Impulse and warp speeds availible.

But I do need the support of the community and modellers. At the moment I need civilian transport ships for the following eras

Pre-TOS (enterprise era)
TOS
TMP
Post-TMP
Post-TNG

and trade starbases for:

Pre-TOS
TMP
Post-TMP
TNG
Post-TNG

Once I have these models, I can continue with the programming and realease the first demo.

The other model files I will need, but are not urgent at the moment are...

Photonic Torpedo
Photon Torpedo (Federation) Mark 1 to 15 (Mk1 to 3: White colour, Mk4 - 5: Blue colour, Mk 6-9: Red, Mk 10 - 13: Gold-Yellow and red again for 14-15) Qauntum Torpedos would also be appreshiated.
Plasma Torpedos (Romulan) Large TOS style then normal torpedo style for 10 types.
Klingon Torpedos, and Disruptors types (18 torpedos, 16 Disruptors)

Any Alien weapons anyone can think of, with discription of imagined impact effects, and effect on ship and shields, name and race that developed it.

Please send any models to dforemanuk@gmail.com
Please send model formats in .3ds or .x

All weapons with exception of beam weapons will be model files, please keep weapon files below 512K in size and ship/ station models below 3 meg in size. Also please supply jpg, bmp or png, textures.

Anyone who submits files will of cause receive full credit for the file and textures in the rolling credits.

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
Re: Star Trek: Trader new game project
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 02:54:02 pm »
This is awsome!  This thread should be pinned to the top.

I don't know if I have time, but I could work on some civilian transports to give ya. 
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 04:22:45 pm »
This is awsome!  This thread should be pinned to the top.

I don't know if I have time, but I could work on some civilian transports to give ya. 

Please, the more models the better. This game isn't going to get very far without the support of the star trek community, I have my hands full with the coding. At the moment it's just me, I and myself doing this.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 01:37:17 pm »
Hi, here are the lastest screenshots from STT v0.05, which can support 2 and 4 megapixel textures as demonstrated in the following screenshots. Makes orbiting planets much more worth while.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 02:48:32 pm »
This topic is being moved to the MODS forum.

Thanks.
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 05:59:19 pm »
This game looks really nice, but I have a feeling my old computer probably won't be able to handle it.   ::)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 06:41:23 pm »
looks good, just needs a starfield and some space dust ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 12:31:40 am »
I've done several freighters you may use but, there in MOD format and I'm no converter. I'm just a texture man.

-MP

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 12:40:49 am »
I could probably do some conversion work.  I'm not nearly as good of a modeler as some of the people here, but if there is anything specific you need that no one has already made, I could do some modeling for you.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 05:17:24 am »
I could probably do some conversion work.  I'm not nearly as good of a modeler as some of the people here, but if there is anything specific you need that no one has already made, I could do some modeling for you.

If you really want to help, convert the ships at www.staryards.com I just received permission to use those models. Please bare in mind, if you are using Milkshape 3D you will need to export the files using the DirectX(JT) filter, the DirectX 8 filter isn't compatible with the game engine. If you want I can create a quick model viewer for you or anyone else to test the conversion compatibility, and other minor issues like reversed textures.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 05:23:31 am »
I've done several freighters you may use but, there in MOD format and I'm no converter. I'm just a texture man.

-MP

Good texture men are hard to come by these days. I can convert models from .MOD format using Milkshape 3D and the milkshape plugin filters at www.bcfiles.com there's a free 30 day trial at http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ if the software gives you problems download the MESA drivers. Please though, if you are converting yourself please use the DirectX (JT) filter as the Direct X and 3ds formats cause the engine to crash for some odd reason. As I said to Mr_Tricoder, if you need a viewer to test the conversion let me know.

CMD

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 06:20:20 am »
If you want I can create a quick model viewer for you or anyone

Please do that, the textures of my K-7 look very dark in your game.

Offline Sapharite

• El-Aurian
  • Lt.
  • Refit Yard Commander
    • Refit Yard
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 07:07:33 am »
We need Cpt LC Amaral, Pneumonic 81, Wicked Zombie, Atrahasis help to create something form it :) I can help converting models and getting permissions to do so :)
Sapharite
=/\= Jimkirk =/\= (On Taldren Boards)
=/\= Kirk =/\= (Polish Division of the Starfleet)

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 10:02:46 am »

If you really want to help, convert the ships at www.staryards.com I just received permission to use those models. Please bare in mind, if you are using Milkshape 3D you will need to export the files using the DirectX(JT) filter, the DirectX 8 filter isn't compatible with the game engine. If you want I can create a quick model viewer for you or anyone else to test the conversion compatibility, and other minor issues like reversed textures.
I prefer to work with 3ds max, but I also have milkshape.  A model viewer would be great.  I make good use of the model viewer for SFC whenever I'm doing work with SFC ships.  The ships never look quite like they do in 3ds max.  Would you prefer the ships to be .3ds files or directx files?  If directx, which directx plugin would be best for 3ds max 4?
You can email me the model viewer at a_co_trumpet@msn.com.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 02:03:02 pm »

I prefer to work with 3ds max, but I also have milkshape.  A model viewer would be great.  I make good use of the model viewer for SFC whenever I'm doing work with SFC ships.  The ships never look quite like they do in 3ds max.  Would you prefer the ships to be .3ds files or directx files?  If directx, which directx plugin would be best for 3ds max 4?
You can email me the model viewer at a_co_trumpet@msn.com.

The game engine is fully Direct X 9.0 compatible, and either 3ds or .x files are fine whcih ever is easiest for you. I will also get to work on the model viewer.

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 06:32:46 pm »
I recently did a Lost Era freighter...you're welcome to it. :)
"Proudly you gathered, rank on rank to war,
As you heard God's message from afar;
All you had hoped for, all you had, you gave
To save mankind-yourself you scorned to save."

Offline USS Mariner

• Heavy Cruiser, NCC-1712
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 07:04:26 pm »
Nice job so far, I take it you haven't gotten lightmaps down yet? Any consideration for warp travel?

Are you going to make an interface for this, or will you have to memorize keystrokes?
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan

Steam: Mariner1712

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 08:09:26 pm »
Just realized...with my site kaput you might not find this so...

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 09:10:15 pm »

-MP

Good texture men are hard to come by these days. I can convert models from .MOD format using Milkshape 3D and the milkshape plugin filters at www.bcfiles.com there's a free 30 day trial at http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ if the software gives you problems download the MESA drivers. Please though, if you are converting yourself please use the DirectX (JT) filter as the Direct X and 3ds formats cause the engine to crash for some odd reason. As I said to Mr_Tricoder, if you need a viewer to test the conversion let me know.

Okie if you can convert them, here ya go............

http://outalance.battleclinic.com/Models%20Please/index.php

Help yourself to any of the ships on that page.
-MP

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2005, 04:19:37 am »
Just realized...with my site kaput you might not find this so...

Thanks that ship was just what I needed for the next demo.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2005, 04:24:47 am »
Nice job so far, I take it you haven't gotten lightmaps down yet? Any consideration for warp travel?

Are you going to make an interface for this, or will you have to memorize keystrokes?

Warp travel is already programmed into the game, it will be a part of the combat engine. There will be an interface, but forthe moment it's down to keystrokes. Hopefully the interface will be a cross between BC's menu systems and SFC's icon driven interface. Here is a design graphic I made a while ago, while it's not programmed into the game, it is what I expect it to look like roughly.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2005, 04:52:23 am »

Okie if you can convert them, here ya go............

http://outalance.battleclinic.com/Models%20Please/index.php

Help yourself to any of the ships on that page.
-MP

Thanks, I've taken the Batris model for now, out of interest was this a conversion from X-Wing Alliance?

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2005, 07:12:40 am »
Thanks, I've taken the Batris model for now, out of interest was this a conversion from X-Wing Alliance?

Nope it's a model that originally came from Bridge Commander and was ported to SFC. I just gave it some cannon clothing. ;) Other than the MOD's OutaLance is working on this is THE FIRST TIME one of my ships has been used for something like this,  I'm honored. Can't wait to try this game.
-MP

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2005, 08:24:43 am »

Nope it's a model that originally came from Bridge Commander and was ported to SFC. I just gave it some cannon clothing. ;) Other than the MOD's OutaLance is working on this is THE FIRST TIME one of my ships has been used for something like this,  I'm honored. Can't wait to try this game.
-MP

The ship was exactly what I'm looking for, it's going to be highly useful and will be included in the Alpha 0.05 or 0.06 release so you should get your chance very soon, it all depends on when my full copy of DB arrives, it's well overdue now. If you produce any more transport ships, or shuttles or stations please let me know, I am desperate for civilian shiping and installations.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2005, 12:10:26 pm »
I'm at my parents' house right now, so I won't be able to do any conversion work until either tomorrow evening or Monday.  Email me at a_co_trumpet@msn.com and let me know what ships you want and which site it can be downloaded from.

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2005, 12:15:26 pm »
Glad I could help. :)

If you want to use this ship, be my guest...it's the X-303 from Stargate, but should make a good civ. transport. :thumbsup:

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2005, 03:24:51 pm »
Hi, for anyone who is interested in helping out and making some models for me, I've programmed a model viewer for you to test your creations with. It is very basic to use, just unzip it into a directory, and place your textures and model file into the same directory, then load up the program, type in the file name and hit enter. You can view the model from all directions, please refere to the instructions on the load up screen. This model viewer doesn't support bump mapping, or light maps yet, when I have time I'll add these features.

http://www.battleclinic.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2551.0;id=444

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2005, 03:30:34 pm »

If you want to use this ship, be my guest...it's the X-303 from Stargate, but should make a good civ. transport. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I am warey of adding in ships people will know from other scifi shows, esp shows as well known as Star Gate. However, thanks I have downloaded it and if I am unable to get all the ships I need I will use it as a pirate or unknown alien super-transport ship. It's a very nice model though and I had to battle with myself weather or not to use it at the moment. It might make a good demonstration model later on when I've got bump mapping, lighting and other special effects working correctly,

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2005, 03:52:27 pm »
bump maps?!  Great!  I might just play around with some bump maps and see if I can add a little more detail to some ships.

As for ships from other series/movies, you could probably include a few hard-to-find ones as easter eggs.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2005, 05:11:01 pm »
What about your Ebon Hawk Mr. T isn't that a smuggler's freighter ?

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2005, 05:28:46 pm »
Yeah, Kenjar can use it if he wants, but it's the main ship from the KOTOR games, so anyone who has played them would instantly recognise it.  I actually got flamed by a guy who hates Star Wars and didn't like seeing a brand new Star Wars ship for SFC3.

It would be great if you can work it into the game, Kenjar, but if you feel that it would be out of place since it's from the Star Wars universe, that's ok.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2005, 07:40:30 pm »
Yeah, Kenjar can use it if he wants, but it's the main ship from the KOTOR games, so anyone who has played them would instantly recognise it.  I actually got flamed by a guy who hates Star Wars and didn't like seeing a brand new Star Wars ship for SFC3.

It would be great if you can work it into the game, Kenjar, but if you feel that it would be out of place since it's from the Star Wars universe, that's ok.

Yeah I saw that flame @ SFC III . Small minded person.

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2005, 08:40:57 pm »
Hehe, the way I look at it is if you're getting flamed you're doing something right. ;D

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2005, 12:02:31 pm »
Star Trek: Trader, Alpha demo 0.05 - is now compiled and up for download.

Star Trek: Trader - Demo - Alpha 0.05 - Download

Hi all, this is a very basic game engine I am testing out, there's no collisions, weapons, or systems yet, nor is there an interface and pretty much nothing else. It does have basic warp speeds, the keys are

q = warp 1, w,e,r,t,y,u,i,o = warp 8

"p" is experimental and has accelleration added, you won't be able to manuver while accellerating nor will you be able to exit the game, once warp 9.6 flashes off you will regain control and be able to exit.

Impulse controls are 1 though to 0 for max, S is to stop, arrow keys to move.

The movement is very basic and not axis independant yet, and the camera is fixed. There are some stella objects, music, a selection of ships with their own charactoristics

There are's no bump mapping, light maps, or glows yet, the physics engine is virtually non-exsistant, and you are stuck in one system. Be warned, the game has crashed if you move too far out from the planet and the star.

Please e-mail bugs to dforemanuk@gmail.com thanks.

www.gamersol.co.uk for website.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2005, 12:06:03 pm »
Star Trek: Trader, Alpha demo 0.05 - is now compiled and up for download.

Hi all, this is a very basic game engine I am testing out, there's no collisions, weapons, or systems yet, nor is there an interface and pretty much nothing else. It does have basic warp speeds, the keys are

q = warp 1, w,e,r,t,y,u,i,o = warp 8

"p" is experimental and has accelleration added, you won't be able to manuver while accellerating nor will you be able to exit the game, once warp 9.6 flashes off you will regain control and be able to exit.

Impulse controls are 1 though to 0 for max, S is to stop, arrow keys to move.

The movement is very basic and not axis independant yet, and the camera is fixed. There are some stella objects, music, a selection of ships with their own charactoristics

There are's no bump mapping, light maps, or glows yet, the physics engine is virtually non-exsistant, and you are stuck in one system. Be warned, the game has crashed if you move too far out from the planet and the star.

Please e-mail bugs to dforemanuk@gmail.com thanks.

www.gamersol.co.uk for website.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2005, 12:38:26 pm »
I really like this concept and will definately ggive this game a try, but personally 'cause I can't speak for everyone else, but I would like a Star Trek game with everything . ALL the weapons, ALL the ships, ALL and I do mean ALL the races. The ability to have a couple of hundred years to start with ENT(pre TOS),TOS,TMP,TNG and beyond. We all talk about what we'd do IF the source code was ever released and now here's Kenjar, creating a brand new game from scratch and from what he's stated so far,it would seem he would have the capability to accomplish most of what we've all wanted.
I went to your site Kenjar and read that news blurb of yours, and I agree, to an extent about gaming purists. So I ask ya why limit your concept to just smugglers ? Pretty much as I think about this (and please there is no offence meant) I'm looking at this as Han Solo in the Trek world. By all means keep the ability to CHOOSE to be a smuggler, but also incoporate the ability to play all the races. So say hypothetically you and I are playing on-line. You're a smuggler trying to reach Fed space and I'm playing a Fed starship on patrol along the border. Then instead of AI scenarios that ya spoke of, I have to stop you, I have to arrest you etc. But you make a run for the neutral zone, I in my stupidity violate the neutral zone to catch you, but lo and behold, here comes (again for example) Sandman in his Klingon D-7 and here I am pants down in my lil border cutter, your off and running and I'm in the S***er. Now to me that would be REALLY interesting. Or ya jump through the wormhole near DS9 and someone pursues in a runabout and  low and behold on the other side you come face to face with the Dominion's polaron beam up close and personal.  :rant:

Ok I'll hush up now. Like I said I really am looking forward to trying your game, but if ya can put everything into this game that ya want, why stop at just smugglers ?

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2005, 12:57:16 pm »
I agree.  ;)

CMD

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2005, 01:03:54 pm »
Hi!

Your alpha is returning an error if you have no Force Feedback Joystick and I have none, so i can not play your Game :(.

The Error occurs on Line 247.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2005, 01:26:47 pm »
Just downloaded it and got a "force feedback device not found" error in line 247.

None of my systems have a forcefeedback controller... :p

Any commandline switches to make it work without one?
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2005, 01:27:38 pm »
That's me as well...

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2005, 01:34:51 pm »
For all of you who don't have force feed back joysticks, this option will disable the error your receive. For those of you with force feedback joysticks, it doesn't work anyway.

Patch 0.051 for demo

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2005, 02:22:24 pm »
That gets it running.. but I'm erroring out immediately after I select an era ship.. I assume that there are no models with the demo and that's where it's dying?

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2005, 04:19:53 pm »

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2005, 04:24:02 pm »
version 0.05 alpha of the demo
http://www.battleclinic.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2551.0;id=445
a patch for all of you without force feedback joysticks because I forgot to disable it in the code. 0.05 to 0.051 patch.
http://www.battleclinic.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2551.0;id=446

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2005, 05:07:12 pm »
I really like this concept and will definately ggive this game a try, but personally 'cause I can't speak for everyone else, but I would like a Star Trek game with everything . ALL the weapons, ALL the ships, ALL and I do mean ALL the races. The ability to have a couple of hundred years to start with ENT(pre TOS),TOS,TMP,TNG and beyond. We all talk about what we'd do IF the source code was ever released and now here's Kenjar, creating a brand new game from scratch and from what he's stated so far,it would seem he would have the capability to accomplish most of what we've all wanted.
I went to your site Kenjar and read that news blurb of yours, and I agree, to an extent about gaming purists. So I ask ya why limit your concept to just smugglers ? Pretty much as I think about this (and please there is no offence meant) I'm looking at this as Han Solo in the Trek world. By all means keep the ability to CHOOSE to be a smuggler, but also incoporate the ability to play all the races. So say hypothetically you and I are playing on-line. You're a smuggler trying to reach Fed space and I'm playing a Fed starship on patrol along the border. Then instead of AI scenarios that ya spoke of, I have to stop you, I have to arrest you etc. But you make a run for the neutral zone, I in my stupidity violate the neutral zone to catch you, but lo and behold, here comes (again for example) Sandman in his Klingon D-7 and here I am pants down in my lil border cutter, your off and running and I'm in the S***er. Now to me that would be REALLY interesting. Or ya jump through the wormhole near DS9 and someone pursues in a runabout and  low and behold on the other side you come face to face with the Dominion's polaron beam up close and personal.  :rant:

Ok I'll hush up now. Like I said I really am looking forward to trying your game, but if ya can put everything into this game that ya want, why stop at just smugglers ?

I agree completely, that would be an ideal situation. But what you are talking about there is an MMORPG, they require servers to be paid for, supported and maintained. I don't plan to spend more then 3 years on this project so I sad down and asked myself "What can I actually achive?". It might just be another AI controlled universe but at least you dno't have to pay a monthly fee just to play it. There will be a multiplayer part to the game, but I've only planned to be what Bridge Commander should have been because it's only combat was very simple. I hope to match that, with all of nanoFX's enhancements and all the advantages of a DX9 graphics engine.

But that's not all, I spend almost 4 hour today reorganising the code so that if, for some reason I found myself in a position where I could not continue, someone else would be able to pick up where I left off. I've added a section for plugin's as well. Now these will nto work in the same way as BC, you will need the source code, but all you'll need to do is type in your little addion as another subroutine then under "Init_Game" just type in Gosub xxxxxx_plugin, you can disable exsisting subroutines simply by typing rem before the gosub command. I could have started this project over six months ago, but I've been researching languages. C+ is frankly expensive and a bloody pain in the ass, the same is true for Java 2 except for the expensive bit, and delphi as well as visual C, or basic really are not that easy for an every day person to use. On the other hand I did like the idea of using a BASIC programming language. It is easy to learn with real language words like "Print" and "Goto" plus BASIC has been around since before the Atari 200 so plenty of people have heard of it or debt with it. I personally learned on a BBC Master. DarkBASIC takes this common sense language to the next level with commands like load object "starship.3ds",1 to create a starship on screen complete with textures, bump mapping and light maps. And with futher commands like "position object 1,x,y,z" it really is an easy language to use and dirt cheap at £40 pounds for the download version. So while at the moment I might be designing it to be a han solo smuggler type of game, though I personally like to think I am basing it more on the Elite Frontier and X series games, once I've finished someone else will be able to add what they like with most of the foundations already laid.

Also, the idea behind my game is to present another point of view other then starfleet. All we've ever had is the well off human perspective. It is all very well pichard preaching from the bridge of the federations flagship but what about the marqies? Or the people living on the edge of federation space being killed off by unknown aliens and stange space phanomina. It is about as far from the idealistic earth that startrek preaches to us all the time. The frontier of federation space seems more like a 3rd world country then the dream that is force fed by Pichard and Kirk.

Of cause you don't have to smuggle, the real idea about smuggling is an excuse to cross into other empires space, after all in the StarTrek films they are always going on about how illegal romulan ale is, yet they seem to have enough to keep any klingon deligates happy don't they? Someone has to be smuggling the stuff don't they? But as I say, the choice is yours, the only choice I don't present to you is the joining of starfleet. Though I do hope to have people running missions for them.

The other aspect I hope to include is that of hiring crew. In starfleet crew is assigned or you have a large constant pools of officers and crew mates to get, it prob isn't the same for civilian traffic, didn't they say in Enterprise that all the cargo haulling people where leaving to join starfleet? I want to include things like reputation points as well, for instance, if whenever you get in a fire fight you end up loosing half your crew then your reputaion is going to take a hit and people are not going to want to join your crew, but if you manage to keep your entire crew alive in most fights or only loose a few then your reputation will be higher. I want to add things like if you buy internal upgrades like secuity fields to keep your crew safer from boarding and hull breaches then your crew will be more likely to stay alive. I want to add things like having the option to make your secuity fields leathal (on contact and bouncing weapon fire back at the originator (which is against federation law)) then you will suffer less losses due to boarding but will run the risk of starfleet finding out and fining you.

I know money is techniqelly no longer in effect in the federation, but the producers of star trek have never managed to clarify what actually replaces it. Civilian captains must obtain their transports somehow. Also how does trade take place between the different empires? So the only logical thing I can do is create some kind of currancy. Unless someone else can come up with a system of cause I am open to ideas.

So basically, I am making this because I am sick of the one sided story that star trek always gives us. You will have a choice, will you always do the moral thing? Or will you act like a friengi? Will you smuggle goods between the empires or put in an honest days work? Will you spend lots of money looking after your people, and making them happy or constantly upgrade your weapons, shields and warp drive reguardless of their well being? This will be a game that reflects your personalilty, I can't and won't tell you how to do so, I just want to lay the options in front of you, and later on, another modder can come along and put his or her options in front of you. All I am giving you is my view of life after first contact, when the code is released, you can come and give your own.

leathal secuirty fields

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2005, 06:31:39 pm »
This reminds me of several DS9 episodes.  Will you be including some of the shadier places and characters from DS9 in the game?

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2005, 10:45:29 pm »
I just converted a ship, but every time I try to view it in the model viewer, I get an error message that says "Runtime Error 105 - File does not exist at line 27" after I type in the path to the model and hit enter.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2005, 11:07:09 pm »
WTG Miles, hiaus my butt, you da man ! And Kenjar I see your point entirely, Like I said I'm stoked about your game I was just curious about the other stuff I mentioned. As for your last post with all the puter jargin.........I'm clueless LOL but i dod get your gist. +1 to you for your endeavors.
-MP

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2005, 02:33:59 am »
This reminds me of several DS9 episodes.  Will you be including some of the shadier places and characters from DS9 in the game?

At the moment I have no plans to add known star trek people into the game, though I will have to add deepspace nine personal at some point as well as the station because unlike starships they don't move around all the time. Though as a trader you will be more likely to deal with Quark then Sisco, unless of cause you brake then law, in which case you might well find yourself under the guns of the defiant, then in it's holding cell, unless of cause you've managed to get your hands on some black market upgrades.

The other system I hope to include will be a crew RPG skill system that allows for bonuses when repair or getting power out of the engines. The more battles you are in, the better your shield and weapon responsies will become though targeting and defense. You will still controll all these features but there will be a 1% up to 15% bonus for that system. Be warned tho this can also get into negitives, up to a max of -50% because it's much easier to be crap, then to be the best! So check who you are hiring, if he's ex-starfleet, then he's going to automatically gain a 5% bonus, if he's some rich gits inexperianced son who has paid YOU to give him some experiance, it's going to be and automatic -50% so don't put him in charge of the engines or weapons, or shields, post him as the secuity cheif and work hard not to get boarded. I also intend that these people can be killed off. So if you have a very experianced crew install extra secuity and shielding around the bridge to keep these people alive longer. The other feature I hope to add is old age, if you have a crew member who's terrian and 80, then you're going to want him to retire, or he might just drop dead for no reason. Of cause the older a crew member is when you hire him the more experiance he will have. So if you are planning an 80 year voyage in the to the gamma qaudrent in the TOS era, you might want to have a young crew.

The other point someone made, is that the game will be covering a great many years. Even the captain can't be immortal so you will be able to take a wife and have kids eventually, so you can train up your son as the first officer ready to take over from his father... any loyailty bonus points that you as the origininal captain enjoyed can be transfered to the son.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2005, 06:28:10 am »
Kenjar I have an offer for you from  My real life freind who is a 100% geek who offers webspace hosting and gaming servers for free, i will allow her to use my account and post shortly all the details of what she can offer you over a long run for little to no expence other than you let her get a copy of this engine for outalance to expand this past 3 years.

I'm not quite sure what your friend is offereing, this game isn't an MMORPG so it won't need decicated servers. The multiplayer aspect of this game will be programmed into a 2nd game engine and I will offer a server program for people to run on their machines, I will also see what I can  do about writing something for the linux servers.

If you could get your friend to e-mail me at dforemanuk@gmail.com and explain what is being offered a little more clearly I'd be greatful. I should warn you now though that my cash flow isn't very good at the moment, this project has cost me the best part of £210 now though game engine plugin's, animation and 3d modeling software. I'm not willing to commit myself to anything else at the moment. The only other warning I feel I must give, is that if she is meerly looking for the first sneek peak at the soruce code, I'm not releasing it to anyone unless they are A) helping me with the game, B) I find myself no longer able to develope the code, or C) the final game is released. But I will be granting no exclusive rights to anyone, this is a GPL project.

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2005, 08:10:43 am »
Will we be able to mine resources like with Freelancer? That would be cool...also salvage. This is turning out very gnarly. :rwoot:

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2005, 08:33:09 am »
I think I will cover the basic's, trading, piracy, bounty hunter (except when working for the federation you need to bring them in alive when possible, anyone else just kill them) mining (nebula, astroid, planetary rings), salvage, and the sale of long range servay information, assasination (though these will be rare), and running missions for each empire such as transporting starfleet/ romulan/ klingon/ personell, going to the aid of another vessal in distress, scanning missions and salvage missions where you get paid rather then get technology.

I might also add in the ability to sell goods to developing planets against the prime directive, though this is a capital crime and you will run the risk of being caught and put away for life. If this happens you will only be able to carry on in the game if you managed to bring up a son or daughter, or have married a crew member.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2005, 10:07:43 am »
It sounds like you want the basic feel of the game to be somewhat similar to the Sid Meier's Pirates! game.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2005, 02:32:40 pm »
I don't know I've never played it but if you want a sample of what sort of game I love download Elite III Frontier II First encounters, I've played Elite since 1988, and have loved it since the beginning. It's shareware now, but still a good game in my book, though not very advanced in graphics. The game has been released as shareware so it's legal.

http://www.eliteclub.co.uk/download/

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2005, 03:26:22 pm »
If you can get a hold of the original Pirates! game, play it.  It was originally made for the Commodore 64, but it was ported to almost every computer and video game system that existed between the years 1987 and 1993.  It's kind of hard to find since it was made in 1987, and Sid Meier is still one of the top dogs in the gaming industry so don't expect to just download it for free (legally).  His recent remake of Pirates! is, in my opinion, even better than the original, but it's still being sold for $50, which is a little too steep to just pick it up to see what it's like.  Anyway, it's sort of an open ended adventure RPG, but it doesn't have any of the traditional RPG elements like HP, party members, etc.  It also has elements from several other genres such as real-time ship to ship combat, turn-based land battles, sword duels, and the remake includes ballroom dancing.  The main point of the game is to sail from island to island in the Carribean, trade goods, recruit crew, plunder ships, attack settlements, and win the heart of some wealthy governor's daughter.  You can be a privateer for the English, French, Spanish, or Dutch (you can do privateering for more than one at a time and even turn on the nationality that you've been helping), or you could side with no one and attack whomever you see (you'll have trouble finding a friendly port that way, though).  You can be an honest trader or plunder goods,  receive letters of marque, promotions, land, and titles from the different governors; hunt down infamous pirates; rescue long lost family members; discover lost cities; and ,of course, search for buried treasure.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2005, 03:57:57 pm »
I just downloaded that First Encounters game you linked to and I'm having trouble getting it to work.  I can get the little intro with DOSBox, but that's as far as I've gotten.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 04:55:01 pm by Mr_Tricorder »

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2005, 04:13:22 pm »
Hey Kenjar, I'm having trouble running your demo.  Every time I click on the .exe file, it gives me a choice to go to Darkbasics website.  Am I doing something wrong?

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2005, 11:22:24 pm »
I just downloaded that First Encounters game you linked to and I'm having trouble getting it to work.  I can get the little intro with DOSBox, but that's as far as I've gotten.

Download this file http://www.m3fe.com/~paulr/misc/jjffe/jjffedownload.php?file=ffewin28a5.zip it allow the game to be run under windows without the need for dosBOX. If this doesn't work you can also try the previous version http://www.m3fe.com/~paulr/misc/jjffe/jjffedownload.php?file=ffe/current/winjjffe28b.zip then just press fire, or 1,2, or 3 for different starting locations, ship configurations and credits.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2005, 11:26:52 pm »
Hey Kenjar, I'm having trouble running your demo.  Every time I click on the .exe file, it gives me a choice to go to Darkbasics website.  Am I doing something wrong?

try running it with patch 0.052 http://www.battleclinic.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2551.0;id=447 and let me know at dforemanuk@gmail.com if you have any more problems, providing you full system specification, cpu, ram, video card, and video ram, as well as the OS you are using.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2005, 11:42:17 pm »

Thansk for the offer, I am warey of using models from other sci-fi shows, I'd like to keep it all trek, your model is just too well known, it's the same with babylon 5 models as well. Again it's a great model, and would show off the engine nicely, but I'm going to try to keep this thing trek-exclusive for now, but I have downloaded it, and will use it if in six months I've failed to get the models I need. Thanks again though, it's a great model.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2005, 11:47:46 pm »
I did a Marquis Raider varient as well, if you want to use that one as well. It's entitled The Judas Goat just use the link  posted in one of my other threads and you'll find it on my page.

-MP

Offline Sapharite

• El-Aurian
  • Lt.
  • Refit Yard Commander
    • Refit Yard
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2005, 04:06:19 am »
Good work man :) If I may help in converting you pirate or smuggler ships for it just say :) We should work on it and develop and make this game evolving...  :D
Sapharite

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2005, 08:43:10 am »
Good work man :) If I may help in converting you pirate or smuggler ships for it just say :) We should work on it and develop and make this game evolving...  :D

Thanks for the offer of converting, however their isn't enough ships to go around. Right now what I need is original designs and meshes for civilian cargo ships for the Tholians, Gorn, Federation, Romulans, Klingons, Ferengi, Orians, and misc alien ships from races no one has ever heard of before. If you're no good at texturing no problem, simply wrap a grey bitmap around the model and I'll have someone else do the texturing or do it myself when I have time. But please, NO MILITARY ships, there's loads of them, it's civilian shuttles, starliners, and transport ships that I need, I don't care how weird they are, in fact the more original the better.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2005, 08:57:26 am »

I'll contact you by e-mail at the provided address.

Hi, I'm posting from F_W's account as I don't have one yet, I haven't spoken to any of the online members yet but I'm the Chief Exec of OutaLance Entertainment in real life, I handle all the computery stuff basically, have some interest in modelling, texturing, graphics design, programming etc.. also provide Unix hosting and design web sites, meaning I will responsible for setting up OutaLance's new home soon, all pretty shiny new site and domain etc :) I do a bit of open source programming, wanting to learn more, and i'm willing to help out with coding etc (C++, Unix and Windows) for Star Trek Trader if needed, I can also offer free hosting on nice stable FreeBSD machines on a 1.5 megabit upstream (T1 equivalent), and because of OutaLance's business contacts real life, we can provide you with software you might need for free although you should talk to F_W about the software, and me about the hosting. OutaLance would like to provide help with 3d models, textures etc, programming, and we'd like to run a main mirror for this game. I handle the tech stuff like hosting and programming, so if you want to contact me, my email is xmoogle@gmail.com or i'm xmoogle83 on AIM. I hope some of this could be helpful to you :)

Marianne, SysAdmin of OutaLance

P.S. Any online OutaLance members want to contact me, check my website for my contact details, http://xmoogle.org/

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2005, 08:59:36 am »
Hi all, update on the project, I've decided to start the game off in the year 2250, which is the same year that Kirk enters Starfleet academy, let me know what you think of this!

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2005, 09:13:20 am »
Sounds fine with me.  If you go back farther, you would probably have to decide whether or not you would have to include any Enterprise refernces, and that could ignite yet another "Enterprise rocks vs. Enterprise sucks" war (please don't start one here just because I said this.  I'm sick of those arguments.).

Are you using the Star Trek Chronology and the Star Trek Encyclopedia as reference materials for this game?  If you aren't, I highly recommend you do or at least get with someone who has them.  I constantly refer to the information in my copies (although mine are outdated; I have the first edition of the Star Trek Chronology and the second edition of the Star Trek Encyclopedia) and consider them the best Star Trek reference books I've found.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2005, 09:18:40 am »
I'm still having a problem with the model viewer.  Now it just freezes on me whenever I try to view a model.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2005, 10:17:48 am »
Good News Everyone! (to quote Dr. Farnsworth from Fururama)
I just found a quick and easy way to convert a ship to .x format WITHOUT USING A 3D MODELING PROGRAM!!! :dance:
All you need to do is download the SFC3 Model Tools (you can find them here http://starfleetcommand3.filefront.com/file/Model_Tools;7945).  When you open up a .mod file in the ModelAttributeEditor, it automatically generates a .x file.  After I got the brilliant idea to see if this file would work in the model viewer (since the .3ds file I made wasn't working), I tried viewing my Ebon Hawk model in the model viewer and this is what I got.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 04:59:26 pm by Mr_Tricorder »

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2005, 10:29:46 am »
For the TOS era, might I suggest you use Lord Schtupp's TOS ships?  In my opinion, they're some of the best that I've seen, and he has a pretty open policy regarding the use of his models.  I have used his models before and he told me that as long as he gets credit for the models, he's cool with people using them.  You can find his TOS ships here http://www.frost-works.com/schtupp/

Offline Sapharite

• El-Aurian
  • Lt.
  • Refit Yard Commander
    • Refit Yard
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2005, 11:41:18 am »
Thanks for the offer of converting, however their isn't enough ships to go around. Right now what I need is original designs and meshes for civilian cargo ships for the Tholians, Gorn, Federation, Romulans, Klingons, Ferengi, Orians, and misc alien ships from races no one has ever heard of before. If you're no good at texturing no problem, simply wrap a grey bitmap around the model and I'll have someone else do the texturing or do it myself when I have time. But please, NO MILITARY ships, there's loads of them, it's civilian shuttles, starliners, and transport ships that I need, I don't care how weird they are, in fact the more original the better.

Just take a glimpse at www.battleclinic.com You may find some fine ships like Sortex class frigate etc. :) Maquis raiders and Oberth class were at use by the civilians example Oberth class SS Vico. You may include Minor races ships Tamarians and Talarians etc ;) Have fun :)
Sapharite

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2005, 11:51:34 am »

Just take a glimpse at www.battleclinic.com You may find some fine ships like Sortex class frigate etc. :) Maquis raiders and Oberth class were at use by the civilians example Oberth class SS Vico. You may include Minor races ships Tamarians and Talarians etc ;) Have fun :)
Don't forget the Pakleds.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2005, 12:54:16 pm »
I've seen the site, great ships but the contact e-mail address doesn't work so I can't get premission.

Don't forget the Pakleds.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2005, 04:08:24 pm »
Just finished converting all of the sfc ships from www.staryards.com.  I haven't tested them all yet, but they should work.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2005, 04:17:35 pm »
Whose contact email are you talking about?  The ships at www.battleclinic.com are made by many different authors and each one should have its own readme with contact information.  If you were talking about my previous post about Lord Schtupp, he doesn't require prior contact for use of his models.  All you need to do is give him credit for his models.  You can go to this forum for a list of modelers and their policies about using their models.  http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163351890.0.html

Offline Raventree

• 1 Beer, 2 Beers, 3 Beers...FLOOR!!!
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2005, 06:54:44 pm »
you should try Atrahasis
He has many cargo ships and merchantmen...

http://www.geocities.com/atrahasis1/index.html

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2005, 11:19:00 pm »
Yes, Atrahasis has made some great stuff and he's pretty cool with letting people use his models.  I converted his NSEA Protector model to SFC3 last fall.  This was the first SFC2-SFC3 conversion I ever did (I have no idea how many ships I have converted, and I've only released a handful of them because most of them were for my own personal use and I didn't bother to contact the authors to see if I had permission to distribute them).

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2005, 12:55:37 am »
I just converted a ship, but every time I try to view it in the model viewer, I get an error message that says "Runtime Error 105 - File does not exist at line 27" after I type in the path to the model and hit enter.

There's one of two possibilities, either the file name has not been typed in (and you music inlcude the extention, and it's case sensitive), or there is something incompatibile between the export fileter you are using and the game engine. Which software program are you using to produce the model in and which format are you using?

(If the problem persists then please try importing the model into Milkshape 3d and exporting it again with the DirectX (JT) exporter (but not the Direct X 8, that causes more problems) let me know if this works

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2005, 01:04:49 am »
you should try Atrahasis
He has many cargo ships and merchantmen...

http://www.geocities.com/atrahasis1/index.html

I'm sending him an e-mail, you are right his models are just what this game needs.

Offline Sapharite

• El-Aurian
  • Lt.
  • Refit Yard Commander
    • Refit Yard
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2005, 01:36:05 pm »
Yes, Atrahasis has made some great stuff and he's pretty cool with letting people use his models.  I converted his NSEA Protector model to SFC3 last fall.  This was the first SFC2-SFC3 conversion I ever did (I have no idea how many ships I have converted, and I've only released a handful of them because most of them were for my own personal use and I didn't bother to contact the authors to see if I had permission to distribute them).

Atrahasis said that Kenjar can use his stuff. He's free to go ;) and has full Atrahasis's permission :) Check his boards and the topic in SFC Models section: Someone needs help or sth like this stuff :) He has given you permissions. He do not respond e-mails so this is useless to send him them :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 01:46:26 pm by Sapharite »
Sapharite

Offline Sapharite

• El-Aurian
  • Lt.
  • Refit Yard Commander
    • Refit Yard
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2005, 01:43:04 pm »
I've seen the site, great ships but the contact e-mail address doesn't work so I can't get premission.

Maquis Raider are made by Zorg. I can send you them via e-mail :) They're the best one made :) Tamarian, Talarian, Pakled vessels were made by Atrahasis. Also Monarch class Freighter (used by every race in the Alpha Quadrant) was made by Cleeve from Staryards and Atrahasis. Atrahasis has provided you his full support on his boards: http://atrahasis.proboards25.com/ :) There was a topic someone needs help on SFC Models Board :)

Just do what you want to do. I'll get you permission for Sortex class frigate which you may find on www.battleclinic.com You don't need permission for Pneumonic81's Oberth and Miranda classes (I can take out her phaser balls and torpedo roll-bar in order to make her civilian :) ) because the only thing that Pneumonic wants is to mention him via Credits :)

If you have any problems with getting permissions please visit this topic: http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163351890.0.html

It'll help :)
Sapharite

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2005, 03:05:41 pm »
Hi all, I'd like to take this moment to thank everyone who has supported this project. The main demo has been downloaded 204 times so far, patch 0.051 52 time and 0.052 21 times, which is far, far more then I ever expected for a first alpha. Thank you all for making my life much easier though model locations, and conversions and submittions all this is very much appreshiated!

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2005, 03:18:18 am »
Hi all, I've started to revamp the games interface in 3D mode. I've enabled the mouse and GUI bottons for the users to click on. I've also added a battle scared, decommisioned Ambassador, these will become publically avalible for a small fortune at the beginning of the year 2376 along with a range of newer excelsior classes and the odd steamrunner, saber, centar and akira starship. All of cause will be battle scared, decommisioned ships that starfleet will sell off to help cover the resoruce cost of rebuilding the fleet.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2005, 04:46:34 am »
Hi all, I've started to revamp the games interface in 3D mode. I've enabled the mouse and GUI bottons for the users to click on. I've also added a battle scared, decommisioned Ambassador, these will become publically avalible for a small fortune at the beginning of the year 2376 along with a range of newer excelsior classes and the odd steamrunner, saber, centar and akira starship. All of cause will be battle scared, decommisioned ships that starfleet will sell off to help cover the resoruce cost of rebuilding the fleet.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2005, 09:13:36 am »
Needs more battle scarring
registry is backwards
and it looks like it ran into an interstellar lamp post, but other than that, I like it. :thumbsup:

Will we be able to add our own ships to the game fairly easily?

CMD

« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2005, 10:52:05 am »
Hi,

as he told me he wants to include a BC like script system to include new ships, so I think it is possible.

Offline Reverend

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2005, 11:15:15 am »
Here's some thoughts about equipment availability, as I have been a private contractor for private and public sector.... maybe this will give you a reference to real-life procedures, giving you an excuse or a reason, however you see it, to be more free with equipment availability.
You dont have to make the military ships all messed up up and such... see, if you are good enough, and rich enough, why cant you have someplace build you a identical hull, or get the Federation shipyards to build one for you, under the premise of being a privateer, but still operating in their space under their rules... kind of like being a private contractor.
As a private contractor, you follow 'company' rules, so on, but still get a 'degree' of access to company materials (in fact oftentimes you HAVE to), its just its on your dollar... as a contractor/privateer, you have to pay for all materials/equipment, but you have to option of accepting or turning down assignments; whereas an employee doesnt pay for anything, but has no options about assignments. Should someone want full-range access to military equipment, they can sign a contract, one that bans them from sharing technology with other privateers or any other entity- a contract that forces them to 'report in', something to that nature.
Just some thoughts, don't feel as though I'm implying you're a schmo if you don't change your own plans ;D

Really nice work, btw- I was planning to do almost the exact very same thing with DarkBasic Pro, but you've beat me to the punch.... how hard is DB to use, to learn? They swear up and down if you study some, it'll be a cinch to begin working with it.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2005, 01:00:56 pm »
Here's some thoughts about equipment availability, as I have been a private contractor for private and public sector.... maybe this will give you a reference to real-life procedures, giving you an excuse or a reason, however you see it, to be more free with equipment availability.
You dont have to make the military ships all messed up up and such... see, if you are good enough, and rich enough, why cant you have someplace build you a identical hull, or get the Federation shipyards to build one for you, under the premise of being a privateer, but still operating in their space under their rules... kind of like being a private contractor.
As a private contractor, you follow 'company' rules, so on, but still get a 'degree' of access to company materials (in fact oftentimes you HAVE to), its just its on your dollar... as a contractor/privateer, you have to pay for all materials/equipment, but you have to option of accepting or turning down assignments; whereas an employee doesnt pay for anything, but has no options about assignments. Should someone want full-range access to military equipment, they can sign a contract, one that bans them from sharing technology with other privateers or any other entity- a contract that forces them to 'report in', something to that nature.
Just some thoughts, don't feel as though I'm implying you're a schmo if you don't change your own plans ;D

Really nice work, btw- I was planning to do almost the exact very same thing with DarkBasic Pro, but you've beat me to the punch.... how hard is DB to use, to learn? They swear up and down if you study some, it'll be a cinch to begin working with it.

That is of cause an option, and a very good one, the only draw back is that it would be down in the rules that you'd not be able to fly the ship outside of federation space and that you would have a first officer on board who would releave you of command and in effect sue you for all you are worth, considering that this game is starting off in TOS year 2250 it is entirely possible that some of the old 21st and 22nd style contracts might not have been completely disreguarded. I certainly get the impression that around that time things where far more chotic. I might well be worth programming this in as an option, but you will have to earn a reputation first before anything like that can take place otherwize a romulan agent would just be able to sign up, nick a starship and take it back home. Still it is a feasable route to gain a top of the line class ship, thanks for the idea.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2005, 01:01:43 pm »
DarkBASIC pro is much easier then DarkBASIC, the editor is much easier to use and is windows based, you can break down the program into different peices of source code, so far this game is made up of the following soruce code files:

3DInterface.dba
Camera.dba
Commands.dba
FederationShipData.dba
GameShipDataSetup.dba
ImpulseSysData.dba
MainMenu.dba
Main_Source.dba
ManuveringThrustersSysData.dba
Model Viewer 0-05.dba
Navigation.dba
ShieldSystemsData.dba
Star Trek Trader 0-06.dbpro
WarpScaleData.dba
WarpSysData.dba

But when it come to compiling the code, they are all compiled into a machine code .exe file or it can be compiled into an .exe and .pck file, and if you really want you can compress or encrypt the data so no one else can alter or nick it. Of cause this is an opensoruce program so I'll be giving all the source code away at the end of it anyway so no point in that :-)

it supports a subrotine sytle of doing things as well as the ability to make up your own commands, for instance the following code

function makebuttonblue(x,y,desc$)
   buttonpressed=0
   ink rgb(0,255,255),0 : box x-52,y-14,x+52,y+14
   ink rgb(0,0,255),0 : box x-50,y-12,x+50,y+12
   ink rgb(0,128,0),0
   myx=mousex() : myy=mousey()
   if myx>x-50 and myx<x+50
      if myy>y-12 and myy<y+12
         buttonpressed=1
      endif
   endif
   if buttonpressed=1 then ink rgb(255,255,0),0
   set text size 18 : center text x,y-8,desc$
   if mouseclick()=0 then buttonpressed=0
endfunction buttonpressed

is used to create a function or extra command, so now whenever I want to make a button in the game I just type in the line:

if makebuttonblue(60,20,"Thrusters")>0 then buttonpressed=1

so in effect the fuction makebuttonblue works in the same way the command PRINT does. The 60,20 are X,Y locations for the screen, the "Thrusters" is the name that appears in the box and if the button is pressed by the mouse's left button the value jumps over 0 and sets the value buttonpressed to 1. Another peice of code like

if buttonpressed = 1 then gosub Thruster_Submenu

calls another subroutine whcih in turn creates more buttons using the new makebuttonblue fuction command and allows you to call even more subroutines using the same or simular method. DarkBASIC also makes movement easy ,the command:

If Downkey()=1
      PITCH OBJECT DOWN PlayerShip,MaxManuver#
   endif

basically this says, if the Down Arrow key is held, then (binary 0 for off, and 1 for on) then take object PlayerShip (which in the variable soruce code has been assigned a number) is angled down on a seperate axis from the world axis by whatever amount has been pre-defined as MaxManuver#, which means I can reuse this code over and over again no matter which ship is loaded into the game by the "Select_Ship" menu I  created eailer. So far the only really difficult bit apart from advanced effects such as bump mapping and glows has been my bloody aweful spelling :-)

The reason I love this language is because at the tender age of 6 my father brought me home an Atari 400, which of cause used BASIC which I used to make programs that insulted my brothers when I typed in run. The I migrated to the BBC Master by 1989 (I think, straining my memory a little) and fell in love with the space trading game "Elite" and didn't get on to PC's until '96 having spent my time on the Atari ST and STOS (another language very much like DarkBASIC) so BASIC is something I've known since childhood, and while visual basic is all very nice, it's not the same thing. I'm from the old school who thought DOS was the best thing ever, mainly because you had full controll over it, if it was in memory you knew about it, unlike windows these days when you just have to log onto a website to pick up a nasty bit of code. So basically, DarkBASIC is a very good language, it's logical, supports plugin's has a whole host of tools, software and code bases supporting it, and is only about £50.

Now, if you have gotten this far in my ramblings your doing well and I'd like to offer a challange. I have here two copies of DarkBASIC Pro, one of which I don't need. It is a fully legal, and boxed copy with the original packaging. I am willing to send this copy to anyone who can prove their skills in basic. What I need is a navigation program that creates a galaxy with at least 10,000 worlds in it. You can download a trial version of DarkBASIC Pro at http://www.darkbasicpro Now the rules

1) The worlds can not be random and must be generated from number seeds. If you read the Elite FAQ on http://www.frontier.co.uk you will gain an idea of how to do this. I don't need them named or discriptions given, but different colour stars would be nice (not essentual)

2) The interface must be in 3D (this is easier then it sounds trust me).

3) You must be able to click on a system and pull off a set of x,y,z location data into the values ISNavX, ISNavY, ISNavZ and save this data to a simple .txt text file called "NavCourseData".

4) You must be willing to work on this project with me for at least six months.

5) You must be willing to release your work to the general public at the end of this project.

As I say, you will get a FULL copy of DarkBASIC Pro posted to you if you win this, please submit the code to dforemanuk@gmail.com with your name. I won't ask for an address until you've won.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2005, 01:28:21 pm »
Hi,

as he told me he wants to include a BC like script system to include new ships, so I think it is possible.

No I beleive what I said was that I am releasing the code at the end of this project so anyone can alter it as they please. There are no current plans for a scripting system, it would take too long to develope. I will let you all know if this changes.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2005, 01:33:20 pm »
It's an old decommisioned ship left over from the dominion wars, it will appear around 2377 a year after the war is over. And yes I know the registry is backwards, this was a quick convert, and texture as part of a light map and bump mapping experiment which was only partly sucessful.

Needs more battle scarring
registry is backwards
and it looks like it ran into an interstellar lamp post, but other than that, I like it. :thumbsup:

Will we be able to add our own ships to the game fairly easily?

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2005, 01:34:56 pm »
DarkBASIC pro is much easier then DarkBASIC, the editor is much easier to use and is windows based, you can break down the program into different peices of source code, so far this game is made up of the following soruce code files:

3DInterface.dba
Camera.dba
Commands.dba
FederationShipData.dba
GameShipDataSetup.dba
ImpulseSysData.dba
MainMenu.dba
Main_Source.dba
ManuveringThrustersSysData.dba
Model Viewer 0-05.dba
Navigation.dba
ShieldSystemsData.dba
Star Trek Trader 0-06.dbpro
WarpScaleData.dba
WarpSysData.dba

But when it come to compiling the code, they are all compiled into a machine code .exe file or it can be compiled into an .exe and .pck file, and if you really want you can compress or encrypt the data so no one else can alter or nick it. Of cause this is an opensoruce program so I'll be giving all the source code away at the end of it anyway so no point in that :-)

it supports a subrotine sytle of doing things as well as the ability to make up your own commands, for instance the following code

function makebuttonblue(x,y,desc$)
   buttonpressed=0
   ink rgb(0,255,255),0 : box x-52,y-14,x+52,y+14
   ink rgb(0,0,255),0 : box x-50,y-12,x+50,y+12
   ink rgb(0,128,0),0
   myx=mousex() : myy=mousey()
   if myx>x-50 and myx<x+50
      if myy>y-12 and myy<y+12
         buttonpressed=1
      endif
   endif
   if buttonpressed=1 then ink rgb(255,255,0),0
   set text size 18 : center text x,y-8,desc$
   if mouseclick()=0 then buttonpressed=0
endfunction buttonpressed

is used to create a function or extra command, so now whenever I want to make a button in the game I just type in the line:

if makebuttonblue(60,20,"Thrusters")>0 then buttonpressed=1

so in effect the fuction makebuttonblue works in the same way the command PRINT does. The 60,20 are X,Y locations for the screen, the "Thrusters" is the name that appears in the box and if the button is pressed by the mouse's left button the value jumps over 0 and sets the value buttonpressed to 1. Another peice of code like

if buttonpressed = 1 then gosub Thruster_Submenu

calls another subroutine whcih in turn creates more buttons using the new makebuttonblue fuction command and allows you to call even more subroutines using the same or simular method. DarkBASIC also makes movement easy ,the command:

If Downkey()=1
      PITCH OBJECT DOWN PlayerShip,MaxManuver#
   endif

basically this says, if the Down Arrow key is held, then (binary 0 for off, and 1 for on) then take object PlayerShip (which in the variable soruce code has been assigned a number) is angled down on a seperate axis from the world axis by whatever amount has been pre-defined as MaxManuver#, which means I can reuse this code over and over again no matter which ship is loaded into the game by the "Select_Ship" menu I  created eailer. So far the only really difficult bit apart from advanced effects such as bump mapping and glows has been my bloody aweful spelling :-)

The reason I love this language is because at the tender age of 6 my father brought me home an Atari 400, which of cause used BASIC which I used to make programs that insulted my brothers when I typed in run. The I migrated to the BBC Master by 1989 (I think, straining my memory a little) and fell in love with the space trading game "Elite" and didn't get on to PC's until '96 having spent my time on the Atari ST and STOS (another language very much like DarkBASIC) so BASIC is something I've known since childhood, and while visual basic is all very nice, it's not the same thing. I'm from the old school who thought DOS was the best thing ever, mainly because you had full controll over it, if it was in memory you knew about it, unlike windows these days when you just have to log onto a website to pick up a nasty bit of code. So basically, DarkBASIC is a very good language, it's logical, supports plugin's has a whole host of tools, software and code bases supporting it, and is only about £50.

Now, if you have gotten this far in my ramblings your doing well and I'd like to offer a challange. I have here two copies of DarkBASIC Pro, one of which I don't need. It is a fully legal, and boxed copy with the original packaging. I am willing to send this copy to anyone who can prove their skills in basic. What I need is a navigation program that creates a galaxy with at least 10,000 worlds in it. You can download a trial version of DarkBASIC Pro at http://www.darkbasicpro Now the rules

1) The worlds can not be random and must be generated from number seeds. If you read the Elite FAQ on http://www.frontier.co.uk you will gain an idea of how to do this. I don't need them named or discriptions given, but different colour stars would be nice (not essentual)

2) The interface must be in 3D (this is easier then it sounds trust me).

3) You must be able to click on a system and pull off a set of x,y,z location data into the values ISNavX, ISNavY, ISNavZ and save this data to a simple .txt text file called "NavCourseData".

4) You must be willing to work on this project with me for at least six months.

5) You must be willing to release your work to the general public at the end of this project.

As I say, you will get a FULL copy of DarkBASIC Pro posted to you if you win this, please submit the code to dforemanuk@gmail.com with your name. I won't ask for an address until you've won.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2005, 01:43:02 pm »
Do you think that someone would be able to make it possible to easily add ships while you focus on the game itself?  I have almost zero programming experience and I have no idea how this thing works, but I think it would really add to the game if we could add our own ships.  Just look at how it has increased the appeal of the SFC games.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2005, 03:42:10 pm »
Do you think that someone would be able to make it possible to easily add ships while you focus on the game itself?  I have almost zero programming experience and I have no idea how this thing works, but I think it would really add to the game if we could add our own ships.  Just look at how it has increased the appeal of the SFC games.

In order to do that I'd basically have to create a language within a language, and I'd have to completely scrap all the work I've already completed which is around 3000 lines of code at the moment. But I am A) programming in an easy to learn, and cheap to purchase programming language with plenty of support, and B) Releasing the soruce code at the end of it. Compaired to that you will find that modding for SFC and Bridge Commander is extreamly limited. Hell, if you wanted you could change every single aspect of the game. If that's not modding, I don't know what is. Beleive me when I say, the way the code is structoured, an intelligent person will not have any problems modifying the game. Right now I am focused on one thing, getting the combat engine ready for people to start playing with, then I am going to work on the multiplayer aspect so you lot can fight online, then I will turn to the campaign RPG aspect of the game where you will do the trading and privettering.

Offline Reverend

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2005, 10:16:27 am »
Oh my, what an exciting idea... I think I might take you up on this, keeping in mind a) didnt know there was a trial version! and b) only thing I have scripted was some deep modding for SFC3 and SFC:OP; regardless, sounds like exactly what I was thinking, game idea-wise...
anyone else?

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2005, 02:04:37 pm »
Well, I don't have time myself to do this project, but he has got me interested in this DarkBasic Pro.  I use a 3d engine called Truevision which really works well with Visual Basic, but I don't want to convert to VB.net just because Micosoft says I have too.  I just downloaded the trial version now and check out what Darkbasic has to offer.

Offline Sapharite

• El-Aurian
  • Lt.
  • Refit Yard Commander
    • Refit Yard
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2005, 04:20:40 pm »
Well I appreciate that anybody listen to me :P Ok nevermind :) Kenjar Atrahasis has given you a full permission to use his models in your game :)
Sapharite

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2005, 02:48:00 pm »
Hi all, I finally have basic light mapping working, also I have added a local light source which is the sun, the sun itself now Glows as well, and you get too see the night side of planets in proper shadows.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2005, 02:49:19 pm »
Hi all, I finally have basic light mapping working, also I have added a local light source which is the sun, the sun itself now Glows as well, and you get too see the night side of planets in proper shadows.

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2005, 03:17:13 pm »
Cool, this is really shaping up! :thumbsup:

BTW, I'm in the process of making a new ship that I think will go good in your game...a deuterium tanker. Should have some wips later. ;)

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2005, 03:24:36 pm »
Great tankers are good. Right now, the only way to display lights is to set sections of polygons to either a texture with Emissive value set to white or the highest value it will go too. So if you make, for instance impulse engines, have two texture one standard for the housing and the other with the Emissive value set to full. A light map would be good as well, but I've having problems with that at the moment. The only way of adding them at the moment is to use gile light mapper and export the files to DBO format.

Offline USS Mariner

• Heavy Cruiser, NCC-1712
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2005, 04:29:11 pm »
Sweetholyjesus, that is dark. Coudl you add a really dim keylight so we can see what the ship is? ::)

(Yeah, it's TSP's Star Empire, But I only know that because I've got good eyes. :P)
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan

Steam: Mariner1712

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2005, 05:40:27 pm »
So what does that mean for those of us converting SFC ships for your game?

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2005, 05:45:10 pm »
Do you think we ought to drop one of these two threads and only post in one of them from now on?  It just seems unnecessary to have both of them when they're updated with identical information.

Offline MrCue

• Site Designer
  • Lt.
  • Proud Father
    • Battleclinic
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2005, 06:02:41 pm »
Topics Merged

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2005, 04:35:01 am »
My bad, I didn't mean to post in the other thread, that was designed for feedback on the demo releases, the problem is that I've been posting on so many different forums that I'm getting confused. I'm going to spend the day working on my new website for STT and I'll set up forums there and prevent your admin team feeling they need to relocate the treads.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 06:55:17 am by Kenjar »

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2005, 01:41:24 pm »
www.gamersol.co.uk hi all, the new Star Trek trader website is up and running complete with forums. I will still return ever so often to post on this thread as well when there are new downloads or any major improvements.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2005, 02:10:23 pm »
Hi all, just a quick update, I've purchased some extra software to aid with collisions and weapon effects. I've added basic suppot for light mapping and 3 additional ships. I've also begun to create commands like "MakePlanet" to aid new modders when the game is released. I will also be adding easy to understand commands like "MakeButton", "MakePlayerShip", and "MakeEnemyShip".

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2005, 09:54:01 am »
Alpha 0.09 has been complied and tested, though I am not releasing any new demo's until 0.1 . This is primarily because I have not yet implimented the new physics engine and collision detection system that I've been working on seperately from the main code. Also I don't want to flood the community with every single build of the software I produce, because people will soon get sick of endless little changes. The biggest change that must be implimented is the ability to fly into soild objects and experiance some kind of reaction, such as a bounce back rather just flying though with the words "collision detected" appearing on screen. In addition to this I also hope to add a scaled solar system into the game so that people will be able to tour earth, mars, jupiter etc rather then flying around in empty space.

So far, the following changes have been made to the software:

Main Source code broken down unto multiple files for ease of modification.

Extra ship data added, hull damage,

New, more realistic Impulse speed and Warp Speed added, as well as TOS and TNG warp scales based on star trek manuals.

Ship now rotates using the "," or "." keys.

Ship movement is now independance of game axis, this allows for more natrual movement and control of the ship.

New modding commands like "MakePlanet", "MakePlayer", "MakeSun" and "MakeButtonBlue" have been added.

System checker has been intergrated into game to aid with troubleshooting.

Model Viewer intergrated into game.

Location and Direction indicators included so later on the player will be able to manually fly to a location.

Player ships can now fly in any direction for as long as they like without flickering and eventual game crashes.

Basic Polygon based light mapping added.

Sun now emitts light rather then receiving and displaying shadows.

Static Three planet solar system added.

Speed indicator added

3 Systems added, Thrusters for fine movement, Impulse for major sublight movement,, and warp mode allowed warp travel within system.

Mouse Pointer enabled

Basic GUI interface built, though some buttons are not working yet.

More effective light and dark shading added.

Render Distance now 5000% futher then before.

Scrolling credit's added.

Unload scene data added.

Skyshphere starfield added.

Astronomical equations and converion data added.

Newton Physics engine started but not enabled.

Collision Engine started but not enabled.

Offline Smiley

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2005, 10:37:41 am »
Excellent news!!! Please do carry on the hard work! :D

Signature: Terran Empire Relentless: WZ, All Other Models: Smiley

Offline Smiley

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2005, 12:58:51 pm »
Bump

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2005, 01:16:51 am »
I think this thread ought to be stickied.  Anyone else agree?

Offline Raventree

• 1 Beer, 2 Beers, 3 Beers...FLOOR!!!
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2005, 11:27:20 am »
Agreed!!!

This must be stuck!! ;D

Offline Mackie

• Puu jok' unhoittaa juurensa, kaatuu.
  • Lt. Commander
  • The tree that forgets its roots, will fall.
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2005, 12:09:12 pm »
I third the idea, STICK IT!
http://www.stupidfusion.com

Offline Smiley

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2005, 06:45:00 am »
Definitely worthy of stickiness!

Offline Mackie

• Puu jok' unhoittaa juurensa, kaatuu.
  • Lt. Commander
  • The tree that forgets its roots, will fall.
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2005, 01:57:02 pm »
no, stay away smiley! this thread needs none of your sticky stuff (think of Margaret Thatcher plz) :P
anywho, BUMP!  ;D
http://www.stupidfusion.com