Poll

What do you think so far (bare in mind this is only an early alpha)?

A Good Start
7 (36.8%)
Very poor, terrible graphics.
0 (0%)
Going in the wrong direction
0 (0%)
Doesn't work
1 (5.3%)
Amazaing for only 4 days work.
11 (57.9%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Topic: Star Trek: Trader new game project  (Read 12852 times)

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
Star Trek: Trader new game project
« on: June 08, 2005, 08:55:18 am »
Hi all, seeing as there is no decent star trek game due for a while, I started a new game called Star Trek: Trader which hopefully will act like an X2 style game but set in the ST universe. It will be an open ended game that starts off in the TOS timeline and progressed onwards though the years until post TNG, covering a few of hundred years. Due in this time new starships will be made avilible on the market to civilian traders within the federation, romulan, klingon and friengi empires. Now, obviousally starfleet would never allow a civilian to buy a top of the line galaxy class when the enterprise is the flag ship, but you will be able to get your hands on older technolgy such as Oberth, consitution, and low grade excelsior classes as well as a wide range of shuttles and transport ships for you to make latinum with. Eventually, as the code is refined, you will be able to bribe your way though boarders, smuggle contriband in, and have criminal records for each empire each with their own way of dealing with problems. I.e. the klingons will pretty much shoot on sight, the romulans will force you do take under cover missions if caught, the friengi can be bribed, and the federation will stick you on trial and lock you way forcing you to start over again after x number of years have past. You will be able to hide assets of cause however who knows what will happen in a year, or ten years?

The game engine is fully 3D and Direct X 9 compliant, it is able to produce all the advanced features found in the most modern ATI and Geforce FX/ GT series graphics cards. Once the game is realised, the source code will be made avilible to the community so alterations, and additions can be made easily.

Here are some earily screen shots of the Alpha Demo 0.04

At the moment, collision detection is limited to a message saying "collision detected" and then the obejcts just pass though each other, but at this point it's more about improving the graphics engine then adding realistic physics, which will be added by version 0.1. The Transport displayed is fully manuverable, with Impulse and warp speeds availible.

But I do need the support of the community and modellers. At the moment I need civilian transport ships for the following eras

Pre-TOS (enterprise era)
TOS
TMP
Post-TMP
Post-TNG

and trade starbases for:

Pre-TOS
TMP
Post-TMP
TNG
Post-TNG

Once I have these models, I can continue with the programming and realease the first demo.

The other model files I will need, but are not urgent at the moment are...

Photonic Torpedo
Photon Torpedo (Federation) Mark 1 to 15 (Mk1 to 3: White colour, Mk4 - 5: Blue colour, Mk 6-9: Red, Mk 10 - 13: Gold-Yellow and red again for 14-15) Qauntum Torpedos would also be appreshiated.
Plasma Torpedos (Romulan) Large TOS style then normal torpedo style for 10 types.
Klingon Torpedos, and Disruptors types (18 torpedos, 16 Disruptors)

Any Alien weapons anyone can think of, with discription of imagined impact effects, and effect on ship and shields, name and race that developed it.

Please send any models to dforemanuk@gmail.com
Please send model formats in .3ds or .x

All weapons with exception of beam weapons will be model files, please keep weapon files below 512K in size and ship/ station models below 3 meg in size. Also please supply jpg, bmp or png, textures.

Anyone who submits files will of cause receive full credit for the file and textures in the rolling credits.

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
Re: Star Trek: Trader new game project
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 02:54:02 pm »
This is awsome!  This thread should be pinned to the top.

I don't know if I have time, but I could work on some civilian transports to give ya. 
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 04:22:45 pm »
This is awsome!  This thread should be pinned to the top.

I don't know if I have time, but I could work on some civilian transports to give ya. 

Please, the more models the better. This game isn't going to get very far without the support of the star trek community, I have my hands full with the coding. At the moment it's just me, I and myself doing this.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 01:37:17 pm »
Hi, here are the lastest screenshots from STT v0.05, which can support 2 and 4 megapixel textures as demonstrated in the following screenshots. Makes orbiting planets much more worth while.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 02:48:32 pm »
This topic is being moved to the MODS forum.

Thanks.
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 05:59:19 pm »
This game looks really nice, but I have a feeling my old computer probably won't be able to handle it.   ::)
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 06:41:23 pm »
looks good, just needs a starfield and some space dust ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 12:31:40 am »
I've done several freighters you may use but, there in MOD format and I'm no converter. I'm just a texture man.

-MP

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 12:40:49 am »
I could probably do some conversion work.  I'm not nearly as good of a modeler as some of the people here, but if there is anything specific you need that no one has already made, I could do some modeling for you.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 05:17:24 am »
I could probably do some conversion work.  I'm not nearly as good of a modeler as some of the people here, but if there is anything specific you need that no one has already made, I could do some modeling for you.

If you really want to help, convert the ships at www.staryards.com I just received permission to use those models. Please bare in mind, if you are using Milkshape 3D you will need to export the files using the DirectX(JT) filter, the DirectX 8 filter isn't compatible with the game engine. If you want I can create a quick model viewer for you or anyone else to test the conversion compatibility, and other minor issues like reversed textures.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 05:23:31 am »
I've done several freighters you may use but, there in MOD format and I'm no converter. I'm just a texture man.

-MP

Good texture men are hard to come by these days. I can convert models from .MOD format using Milkshape 3D and the milkshape plugin filters at www.bcfiles.com there's a free 30 day trial at http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ if the software gives you problems download the MESA drivers. Please though, if you are converting yourself please use the DirectX (JT) filter as the Direct X and 3ds formats cause the engine to crash for some odd reason. As I said to Mr_Tricoder, if you need a viewer to test the conversion let me know.

CMD

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 06:20:20 am »
If you want I can create a quick model viewer for you or anyone

Please do that, the textures of my K-7 look very dark in your game.

Offline Sapharite

• El-Aurian
  • Lt.
  • Refit Yard Commander
    • Refit Yard
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 07:07:33 am »
We need Cpt LC Amaral, Pneumonic 81, Wicked Zombie, Atrahasis help to create something form it :) I can help converting models and getting permissions to do so :)
Sapharite
=/\= Jimkirk =/\= (On Taldren Boards)
=/\= Kirk =/\= (Polish Division of the Starfleet)

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 10:02:46 am »

If you really want to help, convert the ships at www.staryards.com I just received permission to use those models. Please bare in mind, if you are using Milkshape 3D you will need to export the files using the DirectX(JT) filter, the DirectX 8 filter isn't compatible with the game engine. If you want I can create a quick model viewer for you or anyone else to test the conversion compatibility, and other minor issues like reversed textures.
I prefer to work with 3ds max, but I also have milkshape.  A model viewer would be great.  I make good use of the model viewer for SFC whenever I'm doing work with SFC ships.  The ships never look quite like they do in 3ds max.  Would you prefer the ships to be .3ds files or directx files?  If directx, which directx plugin would be best for 3ds max 4?
You can email me the model viewer at a_co_trumpet@msn.com.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 02:03:02 pm »

I prefer to work with 3ds max, but I also have milkshape.  A model viewer would be great.  I make good use of the model viewer for SFC whenever I'm doing work with SFC ships.  The ships never look quite like they do in 3ds max.  Would you prefer the ships to be .3ds files or directx files?  If directx, which directx plugin would be best for 3ds max 4?
You can email me the model viewer at a_co_trumpet@msn.com.

The game engine is fully Direct X 9.0 compatible, and either 3ds or .x files are fine whcih ever is easiest for you. I will also get to work on the model viewer.

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 06:32:46 pm »
I recently did a Lost Era freighter...you're welcome to it. :)
"Proudly you gathered, rank on rank to war,
As you heard God's message from afar;
All you had hoped for, all you had, you gave
To save mankind-yourself you scorned to save."

Offline USS Mariner

• Heavy Cruiser, NCC-1712
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 07:04:26 pm »
Nice job so far, I take it you haven't gotten lightmaps down yet? Any consideration for warp travel?

Are you going to make an interface for this, or will you have to memorize keystrokes?
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan

Steam: Mariner1712

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 08:09:26 pm »
Just realized...with my site kaput you might not find this so...
"Proudly you gathered, rank on rank to war,
As you heard God's message from afar;
All you had hoped for, all you had, you gave
To save mankind-yourself you scorned to save."

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 09:10:15 pm »

-MP

Good texture men are hard to come by these days. I can convert models from .MOD format using Milkshape 3D and the milkshape plugin filters at www.bcfiles.com there's a free 30 day trial at http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ if the software gives you problems download the MESA drivers. Please though, if you are converting yourself please use the DirectX (JT) filter as the Direct X and 3ds formats cause the engine to crash for some odd reason. As I said to Mr_Tricoder, if you need a viewer to test the conversion let me know.

Okie if you can convert them, here ya go............

http://outalance.battleclinic.com/Models%20Please/index.php

Help yourself to any of the ships on that page.
-MP

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2005, 04:19:37 am »
Just realized...with my site kaput you might not find this so...

Thanks that ship was just what I needed for the next demo.