Poll

What do you think so far (bare in mind this is only an early alpha)?

A Good Start
7 (36.8%)
Very poor, terrible graphics.
0 (0%)
Going in the wrong direction
0 (0%)
Doesn't work
1 (5.3%)
Amazaing for only 4 days work.
11 (57.9%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Topic: Star Trek: Trader new game project  (Read 12853 times)

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Star Trek: Trader new game project
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2005, 04:24:47 am »
Nice job so far, I take it you haven't gotten lightmaps down yet? Any consideration for warp travel?

Are you going to make an interface for this, or will you have to memorize keystrokes?

Warp travel is already programmed into the game, it will be a part of the combat engine. There will be an interface, but forthe moment it's down to keystrokes. Hopefully the interface will be a cross between BC's menu systems and SFC's icon driven interface. Here is a design graphic I made a while ago, while it's not programmed into the game, it is what I expect it to look like roughly.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2005, 04:52:23 am »

Okie if you can convert them, here ya go............

http://outalance.battleclinic.com/Models%20Please/index.php

Help yourself to any of the ships on that page.
-MP

Thanks, I've taken the Batris model for now, out of interest was this a conversion from X-Wing Alliance?

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2005, 07:12:40 am »
Thanks, I've taken the Batris model for now, out of interest was this a conversion from X-Wing Alliance?

Nope it's a model that originally came from Bridge Commander and was ported to SFC. I just gave it some cannon clothing. ;) Other than the MOD's OutaLance is working on this is THE FIRST TIME one of my ships has been used for something like this,  I'm honored. Can't wait to try this game.
-MP

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2005, 08:24:43 am »

Nope it's a model that originally came from Bridge Commander and was ported to SFC. I just gave it some cannon clothing. ;) Other than the MOD's OutaLance is working on this is THE FIRST TIME one of my ships has been used for something like this,  I'm honored. Can't wait to try this game.
-MP

The ship was exactly what I'm looking for, it's going to be highly useful and will be included in the Alpha 0.05 or 0.06 release so you should get your chance very soon, it all depends on when my full copy of DB arrives, it's well overdue now. If you produce any more transport ships, or shuttles or stations please let me know, I am desperate for civilian shiping and installations.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2005, 12:10:26 pm »
I'm at my parents' house right now, so I won't be able to do any conversion work until either tomorrow evening or Monday.  Email me at a_co_trumpet@msn.com and let me know what ships you want and which site it can be downloaded from.

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2005, 12:15:26 pm »
Glad I could help. :)

If you want to use this ship, be my guest...it's the X-303 from Stargate, but should make a good civ. transport. :thumbsup:
"Proudly you gathered, rank on rank to war,
As you heard God's message from afar;
All you had hoped for, all you had, you gave
To save mankind-yourself you scorned to save."

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2005, 03:24:51 pm »
Hi, for anyone who is interested in helping out and making some models for me, I've programmed a model viewer for you to test your creations with. It is very basic to use, just unzip it into a directory, and place your textures and model file into the same directory, then load up the program, type in the file name and hit enter. You can view the model from all directions, please refere to the instructions on the load up screen. This model viewer doesn't support bump mapping, or light maps yet, when I have time I'll add these features.

http://www.battleclinic.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2551.0;id=444

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2005, 03:30:34 pm »
Glad I could help. :)

If you want to use this ship, be my guest...it's the X-303 from Stargate, but should make a good civ. transport. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I am warey of adding in ships people will know from other scifi shows, esp shows as well known as Star Gate. However, thanks I have downloaded it and if I am unable to get all the ships I need I will use it as a pirate or unknown alien super-transport ship. It's a very nice model though and I had to battle with myself weather or not to use it at the moment. It might make a good demonstration model later on when I've got bump mapping, lighting and other special effects working correctly,

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2005, 03:52:27 pm »
bump maps?!  Great!  I might just play around with some bump maps and see if I can add a little more detail to some ships.

As for ships from other series/movies, you could probably include a few hard-to-find ones as easter eggs.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2005, 05:11:01 pm »
What about your Ebon Hawk Mr. T isn't that a smuggler's freighter ?

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2005, 05:28:46 pm »
Yeah, Kenjar can use it if he wants, but it's the main ship from the KOTOR games, so anyone who has played them would instantly recognise it.  I actually got flamed by a guy who hates Star Wars and didn't like seeing a brand new Star Wars ship for SFC3.

It would be great if you can work it into the game, Kenjar, but if you feel that it would be out of place since it's from the Star Wars universe, that's ok.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2005, 07:40:30 pm »
Yeah, Kenjar can use it if he wants, but it's the main ship from the KOTOR games, so anyone who has played them would instantly recognise it.  I actually got flamed by a guy who hates Star Wars and didn't like seeing a brand new Star Wars ship for SFC3.

It would be great if you can work it into the game, Kenjar, but if you feel that it would be out of place since it's from the Star Wars universe, that's ok.

Yeah I saw that flame @ SFC III . Small minded person.

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2005, 08:40:57 pm »
Hehe, the way I look at it is if you're getting flamed you're doing something right. ;D

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2005, 12:02:31 pm »
Star Trek: Trader, Alpha demo 0.05 - is now compiled and up for download.

Star Trek: Trader - Demo - Alpha 0.05 - Download

Hi all, this is a very basic game engine I am testing out, there's no collisions, weapons, or systems yet, nor is there an interface and pretty much nothing else. It does have basic warp speeds, the keys are

q = warp 1, w,e,r,t,y,u,i,o = warp 8

"p" is experimental and has accelleration added, you won't be able to manuver while accellerating nor will you be able to exit the game, once warp 9.6 flashes off you will regain control and be able to exit.

Impulse controls are 1 though to 0 for max, S is to stop, arrow keys to move.

The movement is very basic and not axis independant yet, and the camera is fixed. There are some stella objects, music, a selection of ships with their own charactoristics

There are's no bump mapping, light maps, or glows yet, the physics engine is virtually non-exsistant, and you are stuck in one system. Be warned, the game has crashed if you move too far out from the planet and the star.

Please e-mail bugs to dforemanuk@gmail.com thanks.

www.gamersol.co.uk for website.

Offline Kenjar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2005, 12:06:03 pm »
Star Trek: Trader, Alpha demo 0.05 - is now compiled and up for download.

Hi all, this is a very basic game engine I am testing out, there's no collisions, weapons, or systems yet, nor is there an interface and pretty much nothing else. It does have basic warp speeds, the keys are

q = warp 1, w,e,r,t,y,u,i,o = warp 8

"p" is experimental and has accelleration added, you won't be able to manuver while accellerating nor will you be able to exit the game, once warp 9.6 flashes off you will regain control and be able to exit.

Impulse controls are 1 though to 0 for max, S is to stop, arrow keys to move.

The movement is very basic and not axis independant yet, and the camera is fixed. There are some stella objects, music, a selection of ships with their own charactoristics

There are's no bump mapping, light maps, or glows yet, the physics engine is virtually non-exsistant, and you are stuck in one system. Be warned, the game has crashed if you move too far out from the planet and the star.

Please e-mail bugs to dforemanuk@gmail.com thanks.

www.gamersol.co.uk for website.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2005, 12:38:26 pm »
I really like this concept and will definately ggive this game a try, but personally 'cause I can't speak for everyone else, but I would like a Star Trek game with everything . ALL the weapons, ALL the ships, ALL and I do mean ALL the races. The ability to have a couple of hundred years to start with ENT(pre TOS),TOS,TMP,TNG and beyond. We all talk about what we'd do IF the source code was ever released and now here's Kenjar, creating a brand new game from scratch and from what he's stated so far,it would seem he would have the capability to accomplish most of what we've all wanted.
I went to your site Kenjar and read that news blurb of yours, and I agree, to an extent about gaming purists. So I ask ya why limit your concept to just smugglers ? Pretty much as I think about this (and please there is no offence meant) I'm looking at this as Han Solo in the Trek world. By all means keep the ability to CHOOSE to be a smuggler, but also incoporate the ability to play all the races. So say hypothetically you and I are playing on-line. You're a smuggler trying to reach Fed space and I'm playing a Fed starship on patrol along the border. Then instead of AI scenarios that ya spoke of, I have to stop you, I have to arrest you etc. But you make a run for the neutral zone, I in my stupidity violate the neutral zone to catch you, but lo and behold, here comes (again for example) Sandman in his Klingon D-7 and here I am pants down in my lil border cutter, your off and running and I'm in the S***er. Now to me that would be REALLY interesting. Or ya jump through the wormhole near DS9 and someone pursues in a runabout and  low and behold on the other side you come face to face with the Dominion's polaron beam up close and personal.  :rant:

Ok I'll hush up now. Like I said I really am looking forward to trying your game, but if ya can put everything into this game that ya want, why stop at just smugglers ?

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2005, 12:57:16 pm »
I agree.  ;)

CMD

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2005, 01:03:54 pm »
Hi!

Your alpha is returning an error if you have no Force Feedback Joystick and I have none, so i can not play your Game :(.

The Error occurs on Line 247.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2005, 01:26:47 pm »
Just downloaded it and got a "force feedback device not found" error in line 247.

None of my systems have a forcefeedback controller... :p

Any commandline switches to make it work without one?
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2005, 01:27:38 pm »
That's me as well...
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!