Topic: When the Going Gets Tough...  (Read 28379 times)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
Re: When the Going Gets Tough...
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2006, 07:44:16 pm »
Nice, Josh. Good continuation. Now all we need is something like this, say, every week?

A comment such as this from someone who REGULARLY disappears or simply leaves us a link to where her real work is... I seee....

Anywho, this is a good story thus far. I'd put off reading for some time, but today finally decided to sit down and put in the time. And I couldn't stop reading it till I got here...

Excellent job. Get this ship out there, Mister!

--thu guv'!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2006, 06:06:03 am »
Oh wow...I did that good? *blush*

Thanks, Guv. My english teachers always said I had talent in creative writing. I guess praise from a fellow author proves it. After all, any idiot can get acclaim from a critic.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2006, 09:16:21 am »
Hey Josh,

This was just a bite-sized piece. I don't know if it's just because I'm re-readign this cold or not as the scene in itself was done well, but it didn't really speak to me. (Aside: This must be what Kadh felt like when he read my later Chronicles...lol.)

Anyway, you have some foreshadowing what with the CO's mysterious past, but too little is known (or maybe I just don't remember from earlier in the strory) to make it an effective hook for me.

You may want to consider extending the length of your scene... I'm not a blogger, I need some meat to my reads. *grin*
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2006, 04:31:03 pm »
I'm not a blogger either. Forshadowing of mysterious past? What? This was a promise of things to come, not looking back. It's just that in order to move forward, something had to be said about the crazy ex, who, by they way was also mentioned back in chapter 3 as well. Sure I'll get around to his academy days and that girl we only know as "Little Miss Section 8" eventually, but Jack's past is not the main theme here. The idea I thought I was conveying is that a man who got rather emotianally gutted in the past but managed to move on is now beginning to truly heal, even as he heals this gutted ship that is his new command. Chapter six was an interlude of sorts, but a necessary one. And as for "making it longer," the way I write, once characters are well established, at least in my mind, I only really have what they tell me. It's like La'ra's Klingons chittering away in his head, if you will.
CaptJosh

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2007, 04:29:33 am »
Ok, I'm actually working on a new chapter, folks. I'm sorry I left you hanging for so long. So far, I just got the ship out of spacedock, and headed outsystem, so I should have a post within a couple days.
CaptJosh

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2007, 09:49:39 pm »
'Bout goran time!

--thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2007, 09:53:40 pm »
Shiny!
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2007, 06:32:39 pm »
Another apology. I got stuck, and now I've moved. I'm not sure when I'll have a new chapter done for you folks. Real life has me by the short hairs.
CaptJosh

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2007, 09:17:11 pm »
 :banghead: :2gun: :cuss: :carmen:

I see Capt. Josh has posted a reply.

I click on it hoping for a LONG awaited update.

I find an apology...

BAH!!!

Anyway, hope R/L straightens out for you. Mine becomes hectic at times as well. Haven't forgotten about you. Still patiently waiting for your ship here to launch...

--thu guv!

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2007, 01:27:21 am »
Ok folks, first of all, sorry to have disappeared on everyone. Work was kicking my ass for the longest time.

Second, I may have an update soon, as I think I have finally sorted out just where the hell the Qualor system is. Took some help from some friends, but it looks like it's actually the ass-end of nowhere as far as Federation space goes. It's out beyond the neutral zone, which makes sense. There wouldn't be all the sensors and crap for the smugglers to have to go around to get the stolen transports from Depot Z15 into Romulan space for the events in "Unification". In any case, it does limit where the intrepid crew of the Howard Hughes could get in a reasonable amount of time in a refitted Miranda class vessel.

Hopefully I have actual story next time I post here. I hate having to make these posts that don't give you folks what you really want.
CaptJosh

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2007, 11:49:47 pm »
And now I add my two cp...

I haven't gone "back in time" too far, so it is highly possible that this story was just passed over while I was reading others, so I am glad that you posted and bumped it.

It was a great read so far.

I don't really see any problems that stand out. Perhaps something minor that I skimmed over, but I doubt it.

There is *something* between CO and XO, but more like a past familiarity than something developing right away. I'm thinking that she had the hots for him way back when he was unavailable, but again, that could just be the state of their friendship.

The wedding scene smacks of "Whats in this CO's past?" You've explained some of the interrelationships between the toons, however, I was left wondering what had this guy done? Note, THIS IS A GOOD THING. I'm certain that when you post the next part, we'll know more.

Take your time. Real life sucks, we all know, but I think we'd rather have a long wait for a good piece than a rushed weekly installment that is sub-par.

I will be looking forward to more, whenever it shows up. I'm not picky about deadlines, either. So if you say a day and it takes a week, well maybe it's a weekday...

Czar "Now back to work!" Mohab ":angel:"
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2015, 07:23:57 pm »
Well, It has been a long, LONG time since I posted to this I have since acquired a copy of Star Trek Star Charts, and discovered that the Qualor system is actually near the intersection of Federation, Klingon, and Romulan borders. That makes this a bit tougher to write. Add to that a long time case of writer's block on this story and you have a years' long hiatus about which I am highly embarrassed. I think I might be able to finally give you guys chapter 7 soon though.
CaptJosh

Offline LaineyBugsDaddy

• Ensign
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2015, 03:45:07 am »
So I WAS going to post more story here, but my CaptJosh account got locked out when I changed e-mail addresses. I don't know why, but I've been waiting for about two months now for one of the admins to find the time for fixing it. Kinda put a damper on my writing bug, ya know? Anyway, if I get the urge, I'll post something even using this new account I had to create. Sorry folks.

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2016, 01:06:13 pm »
Ok. Finally got ahold of Frey directly and got my account unlocked. Now I could maybe write again. I do want to continue this story a lot. That said, the wife and I have a one month old baby, so progress will likely be slow. Still I hope to have a new chapter somewhere inside a month.
CaptJosh

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2016, 11:48:27 pm »
OOC: Well, not that anyone is still following this thread but, I'm baaaaa-aaaaack...

Chapter 7

Captain's log, Stardate 54880.8: Despite the setbacks of extra time to get the impulse engines operational and a complete overhaul of the EPS grid, the Howard Hughes is about to pull out of spacedock on schedule. All necessary repairs and refits have been completed, leaving only tasks which do not require the ship be docked, mostly those of a cosmetic nature. I find myself anxious to get the ship under weigh and our shakedown cruise started, and the ship seems as anxious as I.

"Jack, Chief Engineer MacLeod reports that all tests on the new EPS grid are complete, and everything on the green. All other departments report ready for launch," Lopez reported.

"Thanks, Gen." Baker acknowledged, punching a button on the arm of his command chair, "Bridge to engineering."

"Engineerin'. MacLeod here," came back over the comm system.

"Good job, Mac. We stand ready to launch for shakedown cruise."

"I cannae take all th' credit, sair. For once in mah career, the yard dogs were more helpful than otherwise. Tell your friend over there at the Z15 station that he has good people, skipper," MacLeod returned.

"I'll be sure to let Erik know, Mac. Bridge out."

"Engineering out."

"Helm, bring up the running lights. All stations, secure for undocking and launch maneuvers. Comms, hail spacedock control and request permission to undock," Baker ordered, the commands coming rapidly, betraying his eagerness to get under weigh, but it was an eagerness clearly shared by all aboard. With two weeks spent frantically repairing and refitting their vessel, it was time for her to return to her home, open space between the stars.

"Captain, dock control stands ready to release umbilicals and docking clamps," the comms officer reported as Connor MacLeod exited the turbolift and stepped on to the bridge, moving quickly to the replacement for the console that had nearly exploded in his face a few days ago.

"Mac, switch over to internal power," Baker ordered, "Helm, thrusters to station keeping."

"Aye, Sair. Switching to internal power...switchover complete," MacLeod reported.

"Thrusters to station keeping, aye Sir," answered the helm officer.

"Comms, signal spacedock control, disconnect umbilicals and release docking clamps."

"Spacedock control acknowledges, Sir. Umbilicals and docking clamps releasing now," reported the communications officer.

"We are clear to leave spacedock, Skipper," the helmsman reported.

"Thrusters, ahead dead slow until we clear the dock, then go to one quarter impulse until we clear the depot," Baker commanded with a grin.

"Aye, aye, Skipper. Thrusters ahead dead slow. We will clear spacedock in 10 seconds, 9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...Clearing spacedock now, Sir. Going to one quarter impulse," the helmsman reported happily.

"Signal from the station commander's office, Captain," the comms officer interjected.

"On screen."

"If I didn't know better, Jack, I'd say you've been taking lessons from Captain Scott. By the book, this should have been a two month job and we both know it. Longer with the EPS grid disaster," Erik stated without preamble as he came up on the main viewer.

"Well, you and I both know that I did study his reports from his time on the Enterprise and Enterprise A extensively, Erik. If I didn't pick up on his time saving techniques from those, then I wouldn't deserve to be an engineer on a tramp freighter, much less refit and then command a Starfleet Corps of Engineers vessel," Jack grinned, and his old academy buddy Erik grinned right back.

"You got that right...I still envy you, Jack. You're sitting where I want to be, the center seat of a starship. She may be old, but she's all yours," Erik opined.

"You'll get your shot, Erik. They can't keep a guy like you piloting a desk forever. Clear ether, Viking."

Erik nodded, "Clear ether, Spanner, and happy landings. Depot Z15 out."

"Howard Hughes out."

"Captain, we are clear of the depot," the helmsman reported, then asked, "What course, Sir?"

"Set course for Starbase 23. Full impulse until we're 4 AU out. By then Mac here," Jack gestured toward the Chief Engineer at the Environmental/Engineering console, "should have his intermix calculations complete. At that time, I expect we'll proceed at warp 5 for our shakedown cruise."

"Aye, Aye, Skipper," the helm officer answered, "Course plotted and laid in."

"Engage," Baker ordered, and the ship began to sail out of the Qualor system at full impulse as Jack stood up and addressed his exec, "Gen, you have the bridge. I'm going to get some rack time, maybe catch up on some reports. Call me if anything interesting happens."

"Of course, Jack. I have the conn," Lopez answered warmly.

Baker stepped into the turbolift and ordered, "Deck 2," then stepped out almost immediately again as the lift reached the deck below the bridge. Making his way to his quarters, Jack went inside and flopped down on his bed with a relieved sigh. So far, so good, he thought to himself, Despite the hiccups, we're under weigh. The new carpets and other cosmetic refit issues should be done by the time we reach Starbase 23 and the minor things that don't require a spacedock should be completed a bit sooner than that. Relaxing, the engineer turned starship captain drifted off for a much needed nap. Though he had not shown it as much, he had spent almost as much extra time working on the ship as the chief engineer he had chewed out for trying to pull a triple shift.
CaptJosh

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2016, 09:26:37 pm »
What's comming next? :)
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2016, 09:43:08 pm »
You'll just have to read and find out. Wish the old fanfic board regulars were here too, though. I miss them all (Czar Mohab, Grim, Scottish Andy, Commander La'ra, Jaeih t`Radaik, Governor Ronjar, etc.). Don't suppose you're familiar with them and where they might be these days? Not to say that I don't appreciate that you've taken the time to read a story took a nearly decade long hiatus; I do appreciate it very much. It just doesn't feel right without the old gang here, is all.
CaptJosh

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2016, 04:22:54 pm »
I still see Grim every once in a blue moon at Pun's place.  He usually just lurks but doesn't post.  I haven't seen the others in years.

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2016, 04:34:56 pm »
Well tell him that CaptJosh is actually writing again. He might remember me. He did comment on this story at one point.
CaptJosh