Topic: I want TMP version of this ship. Compare TOS and TNG pics...  (Read 17211 times)

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: I want TMP version of this ship. Compare TOS and TNG pics...
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2005, 08:43:23 pm »
Makes no sense to completely design a whole new class from the keel up... Not for a ship that isnt being put into production. That's like the US Navy going out of their way to build an entirely new shipyard and supporting infrastructure for a one of a kind Trimaran Hulled Battleship. It's inconcievable because the technology and components to be used are untested and to develop a supporting infrastructure and brand new shipyard just for the explicit purpose of making ONE ship... is, well, you get the idea. ;)

Just because you build a new ship doesn't mean that you have to build an entirely new infrastructure or shipyard.  And, to extend your US Navy example, how much money and time has gone into building 3 Seawolf-class attack boats over the last 15 or so years?  To extend it even further, they didn't build the Seawolfs by taking two Los Angeles-class hulls and welding them together...  ;)

Which is not to say that there's anything wrong with you wanting an updated Yamato, Dizzy.  :)  I realize that kitbashing is a time-honored tradition not only here, but in canon Trek as well.  It's just ironic that I've spent the last couple of years trying to talk StressPuppy into de-kitbashing his TOS version for the Homeworld mods, and here you're using it as the poster child for kitbashing.  ;)
Trekmods SFC/BC/Nexus forum

"Don't forget the original series, or dismiss it as obsolete. You owe it everything."  --Shane Johnson, author of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise

Offline S33K100

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Brutal, savage, uncivilised, treacherous.
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2005, 09:24:04 pm »
The Yamato is a TMP ship in the first place, the TOS version is the derivative, the original KA version was not a kitbash at all but rather a new design, it's just a shame no one with the talent to make a new model has shown an interest.
If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented. The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then the deepest spy cannot discern it, nor the wise make plans against it.

Sun Tzu 'The Art of War'.

S33K100: formerly Marauth

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2005, 09:37:47 pm »
The Yamato is a TMP ship in the first place, the TOS version is the derivative, the original KA version was not a kitbash at all but rather a new design, it's just a shame no one with the talent to make a new model has shown an interest.

I second that. 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Captain Pierce

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2005, 09:55:23 pm »
The Yamato as seen in SFC2 may not technically be a kitbash, but it's (IMO, anyway) a kitbash at heart.  If you took a Connie refit saucer, 2 Connie refit secondary hulls, 4 Connie nacelles, 2 Miranda rollbars, and a few new parts (mostly the oversized "shields" connecting the upper and lower nacelles), you would have essentially the same ship.

Now, the original KA version may be different; I don't know, never played the game...
Trekmods SFC/BC/Nexus forum

"Don't forget the original series, or dismiss it as obsolete. You owe it everything."  --Shane Johnson, author of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise

Offline S33K100

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Brutal, savage, uncivilised, treacherous.
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2005, 10:05:44 pm »

These images posted on the previous page by Chris Johnson show you exactly what it looked like in KA as they are of the KA version in KA. So many details and hull shapes are completely different to any established ship that it cannot properly be kitbashed from existing models, the saucer for example has the sloping down edges common in Lexington/Excelsior era ships but is many times wider in circumference and much flatter proportionally, not to mention the completely different texture details on the saucer.

The engineering hulls again vaguelly show traits from the Excelsior but both the proportions, the scale and the completely different details preclude the use of an Excelsior hull for a kitbash, the interconnecting section is a completely new part. The nacelles are completely new in design, they have no parallel in existing designs.
If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented. The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then the deepest spy cannot discern it, nor the wise make plans against it.

Sun Tzu 'The Art of War'.

S33K100: formerly Marauth

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2005, 11:25:20 pm »

Don't be so sure..............stand-bye folks  ;D

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2005, 11:53:16 pm »

Do you know what I know?  *looks at MP*
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2005, 01:01:39 am »
If I remember correctly, I think I may still have an SFC1 version of the original KA Yamato-class BB and some other ships (maybe even a Fed Battlestation) from KA, ported by DarkDrone some years ago (forgot when), unsure if they have hardpoints.  I'll have to look and see if they didn't fall victim to my HD crash back in February 2004... And my Saturdays--recently--haven't been looking so good in spending free time here.  I'll look around my CD collection Sunday or Monday and see if I have it.  If I do, I'll just pack 'em in one zip file and see what I can do with 'em...

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2005, 01:04:23 am »
If I remember correctly, I think I may still have an SFC1 version of the original KA Yamato-class BB and some other ships (maybe even a Fed Battlestation) from KA, ported by DarkDrone some years ago (forgot when), unsure if they have hardpoints.  I'll have to look and see if they didn't fall victim to my HD crash back in February 2004... And my Saturdays--recently--haven't been looking so good in spending free time here.  I'll look around my CD collection Sunday or Monday and see if I have it.  If I do, I'll just pack 'em in one zip file and see what I can do with 'em...

WOOHOO!!!!  *runs around on the floor in a circle*

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2005, 02:10:17 am »

Yeah I know ya know what I know. Ya know?  :P

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2005, 08:21:16 am »
OY !!

MP ...  you want me to do some cut and past stuff and send via PM to see if it works.

Some of these are good ships ....  but the wrong class for the design.  Others are bulky, awkward, and just extra nacelles attached to multiple hulls.  I personally thought that the OP Fed BB was overly simplistic, and just not there ....   (Sorry if that is out spoken.  I tried over 2-1/2 years ago to get Nanner to support the idea of a new Fed BB .....  it died.  I'm sure that was due to my lack of skill and ability in this dept. )   BUT ....  I dont give up too easily.

I agree  Dizzy ...  we need a good Fed BB that fits this era you have requested much better.  I have a full plate right now ..   but I think we can work this in.

MP ....   what do ya think bud !  You have been a good consultant so far...  And if there is any chance you can contact Azel  ( for advisory purposes only) that would be cool.

If you aim at nothing:  you WILL hit it every time !

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2005, 08:43:30 pm »

Just a supplimentary to the post I quoted above, more-of an update on how much free time I have... If I'm lucky, I'll be doing as I said above, checking sometime tommorow or Monday.  Worst case scenario (possibility), I may not be able to check and see if I have the models up until maybe mid-to-late next week or week after.  I don't think it'll happen, but it's possible I may not be able to do much on here.  I could do it now but I'm exausted from work, and after this post I might enjoy hours-long-worth of sleep.  If the worst case scenario happens, hope I don't forget about this. *shrug* Just FYI, although nothing important.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Antivyrus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2005, 10:15:44 pm »

Yeah I know ya know what I know. Ya know?  :P

I know what ya both know   hehe ;D ;D ;D

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Brother Federico the Feducator & Lord High Mokus
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2005, 10:31:53 pm »
oh yeah!!
The Star Spangled Banner bring hither,
 O're Columbia's true sons let it wave.
May the wreaths they have won never wither,
 Nor it's stars cease to shine on the brave.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2005, 11:39:55 pm »
wtf is that?

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2005, 07:36:29 am »
Dizzy ..

looks to me like a WIP ...  a twin secondary hulled ship  .. (missing the upper half of the entire vessel ..)

should be interesting to see what's comming.

I never did hear from MP ...

oh well !

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2005, 08:54:01 am »
wtf is that?

That is the ship you've been wanting redone, it's just not finished yet.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2005, 08:58:54 am »
Dizzy ..

looks to me like a WIP ...  a twin secondary hulled ship  .. (missing the upper half of the entire vessel ..)

oh well !

Sorry about that Buzz, been under the weather. I'm here now  ;D. By all means PM me with your ideas. I haven't seen Azel in a few days but I'll try and locate him.
-MP

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2005, 09:02:26 am »
Dizzy ..

oh well !

Sorry about that Buzz, been under the weather. I'm here now  ;D. By all means PM me with your ideas. I haven't seen Azel in a few days but I'll try and locate him.
-MP

cool

that works !

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2005, 10:09:10 am »
wtf is that?

That is the ship you've been wanting redone, it's just not finished yet.

No, that has Excelsior style aft hulls.That thing is just like Fury of a Seraph's Excelsior BB. Cept it has only one aft hull. I want the post TOS pre excelsior TMP version.  ;D