Topic: new diamond-nanotube composite material  (Read 4763 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
new diamond-nanotube composite material
« on: September 03, 2005, 08:05:00 pm »
Link to full article

ARGONNE, Ill. (August 30, 2005) – Researchers at the U.S. Department of Energy's Argonne National Laboratory have combined the world's hardest known material – diamond – with the world's strongest structural form – carbon nanotubes. This new process for “growing” diamond and carbon nanotubes together opens the way for its use in a number of energy-related applications.

The resulting material has potential for use in low-friction, wear-resistant coatings, catalyst supports for fuel cells, high-voltage electronics, low-power, high-bandwidth radio frequency microelectromechanical/nanoelectromechanical systems (MEMS/NEMS), thermionic energy generation, low-energy consumption flat panel displays and hydrogen storage.

The new hybrid material was created using Ultrananocrystalline™ diamond (UNCD™ ), a novel form of carbon developed at Argonne. The researchers made the two materials – ultrananocrystalline diamond and carbon nanotubes – grow simultaneously into dense thin films.

This was accomplished by exposing a surface covered with a mixture of diamond nanoparticles and iron nanoparticle “seeds” to an argon-rich, hydrogen-poor plasma normally used to make UNCD. The diamond and iron “seeds” catalyze the UNCD and carbon nanotube growth, respectively, and the plasma temperature and deposition time are regulated to control the speed at which the composite material grows, since carbon nanotubes normally grow much faster than ultrananocrystalline diamond.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: new diamond-nanotube composite material
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 07:22:33 am »
I remember once seeing a diagram of a nano motor that depended on the development of this technology... this is going to get very cool...  8)

P.S. why am I reminded of Mork and Mindy?... nano, nano... ;)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 08:11:04 am »
I remember once seeing a diagram of a nano motor that depended on the development of this technology... this is going to get very cool...  8)

P.S. why am I reminded of Mork and Mindy?... nano, nano... ;)

Nanu-Nanu
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 08:43:49 am »
OK, OK, it was a bit of a stretch I admit...  ;D

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 02:53:51 pm »
I tried that in a lecture one time; the kids didn't get it.  The old folks (returning students) simply smiled dryly.

I was crushed.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 05:00:09 pm »
 :rofl:

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 08:16:38 pm »
OK, OK, it was a bit of a stretch I admit...  ;D

I've heard people say the nano nano, thinking it was the original.  They were confused by the time since they last heard it and the nano everything in the media.  Since my parents used to watch that show so I couldn't avoid absorbing some of it. 

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 08:41:52 pm »
Oh sure, make me feel old!  :P  ;D

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 03:34:08 pm »
Bah.. at least you didn't try to pitch it as Nano of the North.. (rimshot)..
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 04:46:00 pm »
You guys know that one of the earliest syntheses of diamond like films involved the Japanese using sake as a reagent?

You want to know what the Americans used at the same time to get just about the same results?

Jack Daniels.

Offline drb

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 05:13:20 pm »
Hoi Folks,

Since my parents used to watch that show so I couldn't avoid absorbing some of it.

Ouch!

Dang, I too feel old there Bonk.
I remember watching that show, from the very first episode, oh my. Well I am glad to say that it has been many years since I have been upto date with television.

Take care...to find something better to do than watching television

drb

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 05:45:32 pm »
Hoi Folks,

Since my parents used to watch that show so I couldn't avoid absorbing some of it.

Ouch!

Dang, I too feel old there Bonk.
I remember watching that show, from the very first episode, oh my. Well I am glad to say that it has been many years since I have been upto date with television.

Take care...to find something better to do than watching television

drb

Glad to be of service geezers gentlemen. 

(Quickly checks that my age isn't in my profile ;) )

Offline prometheus

• Hot and Spicy
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 06:11:35 am »
I tried that in a lecture one time; the kids didn't get it.  The old folks (returning students) simply smiled dryly.

I was crushed.

I tried a joke one evening about how Omega Cider was well named since it tasted so bad that even for the alcoholic the first drink would be their last...   

I didn't even get a dry smile...

To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the Universe!

Offline prometheus

• Hot and Spicy
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 06:14:05 am »
You guys know that one of the earliest syntheses of diamond like films involved the Japanese using sake as a reagent?

You want to know what the Americans used at the same time to get just about the same results?

Jack Daniels.

Damn Them!!!  Jack Daniels!!!    Why?  Why???  Why could they not have used cheap rot gut moonshine???  The sensless waste... 

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 10:34:14 am »

I was crushed.

I tried a joke one evening about how Omega Cider was well named since it tasted so bad that even for the alcoholic the first drink would be their last...   

I didn't even get a dry smile...

You should go to church.  They'd get a kick out of it... well, at least the fundies like me who understand a shot or two every now and then.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 10:35:53 am »

Jack Daniels.

Damn Them!!!  Jack Daniels!!!    Why?  Why???  Why could they not have used cheap rot gut moonshine???  The sensless waste... 

Even rotgut is too expensive!  They should have used the crappy lab alcohol; it doesn't get taxed by state liquor authorities and the ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms) agents don't come looking for you.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 10:41:51 am »

It was in fact a cunning and successful plan.  Budget for a skid of Jack Daniels.  Use part of 1 bottle for the experiments and drink the rest at the celebration booze up later so it isn't wasted.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 10:46:41 am »
All joking aside, Nemesis, how do you think some underpaid grad students... uh, never mind.

Offline prometheus

• Hot and Spicy
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2005, 10:53:04 am »

It was in fact a cunning and successful plan.  Budget for a skid of Jack Daniels.  Use part of 1 bottle for the experiments and drink the rest at the celebration booze up later so it isn't wasted.

LOL!  My father has regailed me with stories of University parties back in days of yore where they stole pure distilled ethanol from the labs and mixed it with orange juice...  Sounds like something that could become dangerous as the night wears on...

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2005, 11:41:50 am »

LOL!  My father has regailed me with stories of University parties back in days of yore where they stole pure distilled ethanol from the labs and mixed it with orange juice...  Sounds like something that could become dangerous as the night wears on...

Ya, if you don't mix the 25 liter carboy well enough the ethanol will sit on top and since the spigot is at the bottom, the mix gets stronger and stronger as the night wears on... ;)

They should have used the crappy lab alcohol; it doesn't get taxed by state liquor authorities and the ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms) agents don't come looking for you.

We used to get the good stuff, 95:5 grain alcohol distilled in glass delivered in a teflon lined 40 gallon drum, as pure as it gets. Problem is there's not as much of a buzz off it, but virtually no hangover either. It seems its all the other stuff (aldehydes, ketones etc) in booze that really gives you the buzz and the hangover to go with it...

The provincial liquor licencing board is very picky about inventory though.

http://www.comalc.com/