Topic: Gene turn-off makes meek mice fearless  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Gene turn-off makes meek mice fearless
« on: November 19, 2005, 07:33:06 pm »
Link to full article

Deactivating a specific gene transforms meek mice into daredevils, researchers have found. The team believe the research might one day enable people suffering from fear – in the form of phobias or anxiety disorders, for example – to be clinically treated.

I wonder what effect turning this gene on in human criminals would have?  Would they be unable to act out of fear of being caught?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
Re: Gene turn-off makes meek mice fearless
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 08:55:51 pm »
Who needs molecular biology?

The Internet turns meek mousy guys into roaring lions.

Just look at our forum!  I'll bet some of the trolls and loudmouths here, if they met one of our soldier boy posters (which aren't also the trolls or loudmouths... just in case... I want to insult everyone fairly), would faint before they could get out enough pee to wet their pants.

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 11:58:30 pm »
Who needs molecular biology?

The Internet turns meek mousy guys into roaring lions.

Just look at our forum! I'll bet some of the trolls and loudmouths here, if they met one of our soldier boy posters (which aren't also the trolls or loudmouths... just in case... I want to insult everyone fairly), would faint before they could get out enough pee to wet their pants.

who me? :P
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 10:40:37 pm »
Nah.  There are MANY others before you!  Don't sweat it; you're not one of the ones I was thinking of!

Offline Mackie

• Puu jok' unhoittaa juurensa, kaatuu.
  • Lt. Commander
  • The tree that forgets its roots, will fall.
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 11:18:52 am »
Link to full article

Deactivating a specific gene transforms meek mice into daredevils, researchers have found. The team believe the research might one day enable people suffering from fear – in the form of phobias or anxiety disorders, for example – to be clinically treated.

I wonder what effect turning this gene on in human criminals would have?  Would they be unable to act out of fear of being caught?

Hm. turning them fearless or just deactivating self-preservation senses? those two are way too close to each other to be mingled with ;p
For example I am not a brave, a foolish or a fearless person but lack somewhat when it comes to self-preservation sense due neurological reasons and its taken quite a few therapy lessons to help that.
http://www.stupidfusion.com

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 05:43:00 pm »
Hm. turning them fearless or just deactivating self-preservation senses? those two are way too close to each other to be mingled with ;p

For example I am not a brave, a foolish or a fearless person but lack somewhat when it comes to self-preservation sense due neurological reasons and its taken quite a few therapy lessons to help that.

I had more in mind that criminals seem not to fear the consequences of their actions.  Change their genes to enhance their fear sensation and they might not be able to make themselves take the criminal actions.

Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Mackie

• Puu jok' unhoittaa juurensa, kaatuu.
  • Lt. Commander
  • The tree that forgets its roots, will fall.
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 06:21:53 pm »

I had more in mind that criminals seem not to fear the consequences of their actions.  Change their genes to enhance their fear sensation and they might not be able to make themselves take the criminal actions.

Yes ofcourse advancement is good in that matter but without human test subjects we still cant say much.
http://www.stupidfusion.com