Topic: WIP Chabot Refit....  (Read 23432 times)

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
WIP Chabot Refit....
« on: February 03, 2006, 10:03:33 am »
During my days with the 9th Fleet, I learned a number of things, such as how to keep from getting myself killed so quickly in PvP, how to refit my ship so it was more effective, and on my own, with the help of a few people from these forums, I learned how to bash, and have since released a few simple bashes that have received rather mixed reviews, but oh well. 

Anyway, when I first joined, I saw the Chabot and was blown away.  The idea of having an Excelsior with Sovereign nacelles and a Sovereign-like deflector was incredible to me.  I just loved the concept.  As time went by, I began to notice imperfections in the model, namely the deflector area of the secondary hull was really bad, and the textures weren't of good quality, but for her time, she was a great ship.

As a show of respect and gratitude, and also at the request of a few of the higher ranking officers of the fleet, I began the task of revamping the ship, trying to make her look sharper, more crisp and detailed.  Although I am now retired from the ranks of the 9th, the Chabot has and still is a labor of love, and I have decided to share with the modelling community WIP shots of where she stands right now.

To date, all that is required is a complete retexture of the model in a more TNG type color scheme, preferably post Voyager.  From the original model, the following changes have been made:

1.)  Replaced the saucer with that of the Enterprise B/Lakota saucer from GAFY's Excelsior.
    2.)  Replaced the texture for the pylons and neck with GAFY retextures of P81's XCA Excalibur.
    3.)  Replaced the warp engines with those of Red Dragon's Sovereign-Class.
    4.)  Replaced the entire secondary hull with WZ's Sorcerer's secondary hull.
    5.)  Bashed in two rescaled copies of the shuttlebay from WZ's Firestorm-Class.
    6.)  With the valued assistance of Cpt. Hooker of the BC Community, added actual phaser arrays to the model.
    7.)  Minor retexture done by ModelsPlease to several textures of the ship.
    8.)  Replaced WZ's deflector texture with a blue Sovereign type deflector made by Fallen_Warrior.  This same deflector texture was used on the
          Reliant B, one of my early 25th Century Refit Constitutions.

So everyone, I present the Chabot, Mark 2, a WIP...

The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: WIP Chabot Refit....
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 10:10:42 am »
-=melts=- I Want!

To be honest however, i think WZ's Sovvie or CG's Sovvie Nacelles woudl be better. And perhaps GAFY would be willing to retex those as well

PLEEEAAASSE GAFY?
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 10:14:43 am »
Hey Fury, thanks for responding, and thanks for the kind words.

I had originally tried to use WZ's Sovereign nacelles, but couldn't work with the mesh as it was constructed, I have thought about using CG's engines, but decided for now these are fine.  They're still much better than the ones on there before.  :-D
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline F9thDawg

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 10:40:42 am »
I like it just needs a retexture

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 10:58:31 am »
I like the shuttle bay structure on the aft hull. Very cool. Needs a bit of retexture there to make it blend naturally tho. The aft torps on the warp engine connector looks cool.I dont like WHERE it is, but it does look nicely done. The outboard impulse engines will burn your warp engines off. Might want to retexture them as shuttle bays. That'd make a good strike carrier.

Overall, the color scheme looks great, but the exclesior style looks strange with those warps. Not that it doesnt look good, but because im used to seeing them on ships from a different era, it looks foreign.

Overall, give you an A.  :thumbsup:

I want it too.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 11:04:24 am »
Thanks for the comments Dizzy.

Like I had mentioned, she needs a complete retexture so she's more in step with TNG.  I agree with you on how the textures on the shuttlebay look, that's why I am waiting till the ship gets a complete retexture all over the ship.  The torpedoes at the base of the pylons wasn't my doing.  It's left over from the original Chabot bash, which was heavily based on P81's Excalibur, and the impulse engines didn't seem a problem for the Enterprise B, but that's just me.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 12:15:44 pm »
Well you already know what I think of it (had inside sneaky peaks  ;D). The only thing I would change are the nacelles, basically I would use Prometheus nacelles ONLY because they are more in scale with the Excelsior.

Excelsior
Dimensions : Length : 467 m
Beam : 185 m
Height : 100 m
Decks : 28

Prometheus
Dimensions : Length : 415 m
Beam : 163 m
Height : 64 m
Decks : 15

Or even the Akira
Dimensions : Length : 464.43 m
Beam : 316.67 m
Height : 87.43 m
Decks : 195
* Though I would heavily modify those prior to any bash lol *

But I know what you wanted to accomplish with your Chabot and I think ya did a KICK AZZ job !!!!! And I love the way the phaser arrays reflect the original turret positions.
-MP
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 03:19:59 pm by ModelsPlease »

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 12:17:07 pm »
make the impulse use the lighter orange texture for all the engines, rather than 2 colors of drive.

Offline Rhaz

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 12:35:04 pm »
An excellent 'bash - well done

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 02:10:31 pm »
This looks really great. Beautiful job on she sharpness and quality of the mod and textures. Good Job!  :thumbsup:
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline CaptainTombs

• Captain of Unity Shipyards and USS Luna
  • Lt.
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 03:48:53 pm »
Leave the textures as is its beautiful, plus does anyone realise how hard it is just to get textures in the first place ?, either way awesome work love the Chabot refit
Star Trek: Unity
"Recycling the Old to build the new ships of the Future"

Star Trek Unity (Fanfic with pictures)
Keep Credits where they belong

Sindell: One of the Anla-Shok has acted inappropriately and must be punished, perhaps even expelled.
G'Kar: What was his crime?
Sindell: Staying alive!
G'Kar: Curious. Until now, I hadn't known it was a crime.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 04:03:00 pm »
I could just finish the texture job I started bro that is until I can do a total retexture. Up to you

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline F9th0mega

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Constitution Class - The one, the Only, the BEST
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 04:20:17 pm »
so... beautiful... Now hurry up and finish it for us to play with :D

Nice work :D
Alternate universe:  Khan was banished for preserving the peace. The Genesis device was really a super weapon and kirk had planned to use it on the klingons. Chekov found the Botany Bay and khan hijakced and killed the evil reliant crew in an effort to destroy the genesis device.    Ahh i love it :D The alternate universe rocks.

F9thClarkyprime

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 07:10:13 pm »
Forgive me but I believe Nanner asked you to please leave this ship alone as the original was done to Honor 9th fleet founder Ghis Chabot.
The work is beautiful but as you did not get Nanners blessing and you said that you would back off. Don't you think you should have called your ship something else.
BTW which 9th fleet Sr officer suggested you should persure this project?
I'd appreciate names and please pm them too me no need to post them here. Thank you

Offline CaptainTombs

• Lt.
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 08:18:54 pm »
bummer i like this ship but will this turn into a no release now ?

hope this isnt going to turn into a copyright thing
Star Trek: Unity
"Recycling the Old to build the new ships of the Future"

Star Trek Unity (Fanfic with pictures)
Keep Credits where they belong

Sindell: One of the Anla-Shok has acted inappropriately and must be punished, perhaps even expelled.
G'Kar: What was his crime?
Sindell: Staying alive!
G'Kar: Curious. Until now, I hadn't known it was a crime.

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Brother Federico the Feducator & Lord High Mokus
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 09:00:06 pm »

So everyone, I present the Chabot, Mark 2, a WIP...

:notworthy:
The Star Spangled Banner bring hither,
 O're Columbia's true sons let it wave.
May the wreaths they have won never wither,
 Nor it's stars cease to shine on the brave.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 10:00:33 pm »
Forgive me but I believe Nanner asked you to please leave this ship alone as the original was done to Honor 9th fleet founder Ghis Chabot.
The work is beautiful but as you did not get Nanners blessing and you said that you would back off. Don't you think you should have called your ship something else.
BTW which 9th fleet Sr officer suggested you should persure this project?
I'd appreciate names and please pm them too me no need to post them here. Thank you

I had originally said, after reading Nanner's response, that I wouldn't remake the model and would try to update the original mesh, but that proved extremely problematic at best.  Also, Nanner never said at anytime he forbidded this project.  And my intentions were to never dishonor the intentions of the original Chabot, and I when I worked on this mesh, I had originally thought about making this a further refit of the Chabot, and naming it after one of the other 9th founders, but decided just to stick with the name Chabot.

Clarky, if you wish to ask me the names of those who asked me to take on this project, then IM me on MSN at Golden_Centurion@hotmail.com.  I know for a fact that the entire 9th fleet already knows of this project, and has known for quite some time of the work so far, since originally the only WIP shots I had posted were at the 9th's forums, the chances of this being the first time for you viewing this work is very slim. 

I still have every intention to release this ship as the Chabot refit once she gets a complete retexture, but until then, she's still a WIP.  To everyone that wanted this ship soon, sorry.

I also still have every intention of taking the original model and updating the mesh where needed, but as I said earlier, that proved to be problematic at best.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2006, 10:31:34 pm »
P.S.

If anyone is concerned that I'm not going to give credit for the original bash, you need not worry.  Although I have not done many bashes or done much work on ships, I have always gone out of my way to make sure that everyone is properly given credit, even for the most insignificant thing.  That is one thing that will not change, and those that know me, or at least know my work, can never say that I do not give credit to everyone that had a role in what I do. 

I don't mind if people give negative comments on work I do, but I will be extremely offended if people accuse me of dishonestly.

Offline F9thDawg

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2006, 11:38:18 pm »
Im glad that you are going forward with your project and I fully support it. Besides my Eagles need a new ship to fly in on BC multiplayer hehehehe

F9thClarkyprime

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2006, 06:55:55 am »
I don't think Ive accused you of being dis honest , I just am not sure why you insist on moving this forward as a chabot.
I know this was posted on the old 9th forum and I clearly remember nanner being un happy about it.
I have spoken to Ryker he tells me he was the one who encouraged you to go ahead.
I suppose I dont understand the modding community well. I just figure if Chevy came out with a Chevy Mustang Mark II, Ford might be a bit ticked.
I just get the feeling you decided you where going to do this no matter what, that was the impression you gave in the old forum and it still feels that way to me.
Maybe I'm way of base it would not be the 1st time.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 07:45:10 am by F9thClarkyprime »