Topic: WIP Chabot Refit....  (Read 23441 times)

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
Re: WIP Chabot Refit....
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2006, 09:28:25 am »
I had given this entire project alot of thought before I had decided that the best course of action, for me anyway, was to just practically rebuild the ship the best way I could.  I never had any intention of just leaving the original ship the way she was.  To me, it wasn't right.  The ship, even on design alone, deserved something better.  And the 9th, being some of the best people that I've ever dealt with in the SFC community, deserved even better.  Never was it my intention to dishonor the model or it's intended purpose, and I had posted WIP images even on the new 9th forums.  In fact a WIP thread was one of the very first few threads I posted.  Don't believe me, check out the Bar and Grill thread and look at posts I've made.   You'll find the thread.

As for the issue of dishonesty, I know you didn't accuse me, but in case you were perhaps thinking that, I wanted to set the record clear.

I needed little encouragement in doing this project.  The encouragement given practically determined when it was going to be done, not whether if it was or was not. 

You say you don't know why I am still moving on and calling this ship a Chabot, then again I don't know why anyone would be against an attempt to refine a design, if they were staying true not only to the design herself, but more importantly the spirit in which the ship was originally created in the first place. 

If the eventual release of this ship is going to rub a few 9th officers, both active and inactive, the wrong way, I'm sorry, but it's not going to change my mind on releasing this as a Chabot refit. 

One of the mottos all people in the modelling/modding community of SFC live by is that if someone doesn't like a ship or mod, no one's pulling their arm to download it and use it as it was originally intended.  If they like it, they'll download it.  If they like the design, but not necessarily the concept, they'll change it.  If you don't like this ship, and perhaps even see it as unwarranted, no one's forcing you to like it or download it. 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2006, 09:53:19 am »
make the impulse use the lighter orange texture for all the engines, rather than 2 colors of drive.

I never thought about that.  When the retexture gets underway, I will certainly try that out.  Thanks.  :-D
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2006, 01:13:05 pm »
you haven't started?

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2006, 01:39:42 pm »
The mesh is done for now, but I'm not a texturer, so the retexture hasn't been done yet.  I can't do the textures.  Wish I could, cause then this would have been released already.

Offline Anthony Scott

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Off chasing a lunatic 8 year old :D:P
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2006, 02:28:28 pm »
 :D ;D

Nice work but one thing....does that ship really need 4 impulse engines?

Just wondering but maybe having an overpowered ship can be good...

Once again, great work! :rwoot: :woot:

Semper Fi, Carry On
"No enemy can ever completely defeat you. A physical enemy can take your land, your gold, your property. But in order to be defeated uttelry only you can allow that. The human heart can only be crushed from within, not without."- The Dalai Lama

My art blog:
http://anthdigiart.blogspot.com/
My Deviant Art page:
http://anthsco.deviantart.com/
Resident forum history junkie.

"An intelligent man must sometimes get drunk to spend time with fools."
                      -Ernest Hemingway

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2006, 02:43:46 pm »
The mesh is done for now, but I'm not a texturer, so the retexture hasn't been done yet.  I can't do the textures.  Wish I could, cause then this would have been released already.

I guess I thought the pix in the first post was the almost finished product. To me the gafy textures and what not look pretty grade-A to me.  I guess you could use CG-sov nacelles.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2006, 03:06:40 pm »
I already have CG Sovereign 1.0 engines ready for grafting, but still debating with myself if I want to commit more effort to another engine swapping.  It all depends if the retexture begins soon.  If not, I'll probably replace Redragon's engines with CG's. 

I chose that particular saucer because of the GAFY textures, so good catch there.  :-D  But I still want a complete retexture of the entire ship, not just bits and pieces here to make it look more whole.

Offline NannerSlug

• Master of the "Magic Photon"
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • SFC3.Net
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2006, 03:14:02 pm »
Let me clarify what I said a few months ago. I did not want anyone to mess with the chabot in this way. It really is that simple. So no, I did not give permission for Cent to do another version or interpretation of the Chabot.

I've beem aware of this thread and choose to ignore it - i have other, more important things to tend to in life than someone ignoring a request.

My suggestion would be for Cent to simply rename the model. If he chooses not to do so the world wont end or anything like that - I mean, my goodnes, its JUST a model for a game. We shouldnt get all huffy over anything.

For those who are unaware of the history - Knox1711 took a few of P81's parts to various ships and did a kb for me at my request in rememberance of the founder of the 9th - Ghislin Chabot. That was like three or so years ago. The original design had dual deflectors. I didnt like that so I did some kbing and with Atheorhaven's help we made it a single dish vessel - which is what I originally wanted.

The original concept was a new BCH which was not just an upgraded Excelsior - but used the tech learned from sovs and upgraded "x-ship" type vessels in combination with excelsior tech.

Anyways. like I said - it is just a model so people need to think about other things which are far more important than modeling. I would say, though, that intellectual honesty would be nice.

For what its worth - not a bad design. Very clean. I dont like how high the phaser strips come out of the primary hull, though.
"A Republican thinks every day is July 4th. A Democrat thinks every day is April 15th." - Ronald Reagan

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2006, 03:22:11 pm »
Nanner, I never had any intention to discredit your original efforts or intentions for the Chabot in anyway.  That's why I am insisting on this as a refit.  This doesn't in anyway impede on intellectual honesty in anyway, and I have never claimed that the Chabot was my intellectual property.  I would never do that to anyone.  Like I said, I always give credit where credit is due.

I'm sorry this ship has been a torn in so many people's sides, and I'm getting the distinct impression that certain people feel I am disgracing Ghis Chabot, which is hardly the case. 

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2006, 03:52:13 pm »
I already have CG Sovereign 1.0 engines ready for grafting, but still debating with myself if I want to commit more effort to another engine swapping.  It all depends if the retexture begins soon.  If not, I'll probably replace Redragon's engines with CG's. 

I chose that particular saucer because of the GAFY textures, so good catch there.  :-D  But I still want a complete retexture of the entire ship, not just bits and pieces here to make it look more whole.

How about the gold sov deflector then?

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2006, 03:55:18 pm »
I originally had the gold deflector on there, but decided to use the blue one instead.  I felt it flowed better with the ship.  The gold deflector was a bit hard on the eyes, but looked great nonetheless.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2006, 04:04:32 pm »
Come to think of it, the deflector dish and deflector alcove textures are separate textures of the rest of the ship.  I could easily release the gold set for anyone that wants them.  :-D  Yeah, I think I'll do that.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2006, 05:43:07 pm »
The only thing Retextures take is time, lots of it  ;D

Anyways I have different Impulse textures you can have if you can list me the ones you used I could forward them to you. In Picture number 8 you can see the outer engines exhast clearly hit the front ofthe warp engines. Simplist fix is to lengthen the neck a bit and reduce the angle of the warp engine struts. If you want a TNG look you have allot of texturing to do starting with the saucer. If you want more towards the Excelsior (late TMP) it would be faster. Either way the most work will be making the engines match the era you choose.

Just have whom you got to texture it contact me and I will send what I have.

-GAFY?
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2006, 05:49:15 pm »
The original Chabot was the exact same way in terms of the impulse engines and warp engines, so I decided not to change that.  Also, again, it worked for the Enterprise B and Lakota.  :-D

Currently, the only person that's planning on doing the retexture is ModelsPlease, but that won't be for a good long while, and the ship is going to be redone in post-TNG, saucer, shuttlebays, and all.  :-D  She got a facelift, why not give her new clothes too?

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2006, 05:58:13 pm »
I defer to you GAFY? Please retexture this bad boy. Oh and I still want a version with Promie nacelles on it  :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 06:15:56 pm by ModelsPlease »

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2006, 12:17:43 pm »
The original Chabot was the exact same way in terms of the impulse engines and warp engines, so I decided not to change that.  Also, again, it worked for the Enterprise B and Lakota.  :-D

Currently, the only person that's planning on doing the retexture is ModelsPlease, but that won't be for a good long while, and the ship is going to be redone in post-TNG, saucer, shuttlebays, and all.  :-D  She got a facelift, why not give her new clothes too?

Yes but you are making a new version why not correct the old errors?
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2006, 04:07:40 pm »
I don't want to change too many elements of the design.  The secondary hull was necessary because I couldn't fix the errors of the original the way she was. 

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Brother Federico the Feducator & Lord High Mokus
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2006, 09:08:41 pm »
Bump for info.

Out of respect for all concerned, simply rename the ship.

It would be a shame not to see this project completed.
The Star Spangled Banner bring hither,
 O're Columbia's true sons let it wave.
May the wreaths they have won never wither,
 Nor it's stars cease to shine on the brave.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2006, 12:35:52 pm »
With all due respect, I refuse to rename the ship.  I would rather just delete everything than change the name of the ship.  Plain and simple.

As for current info, GAFY has the ship right now, but he had informed me it was going to take a while before the retexture is done.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2006, 12:56:26 pm »
Well worth the wait. You did a fantastic job on it. Far superior to the old one and true to the original design as well. Don't change a thing man.

;D  :thumbsup:
-MP

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.