Topic: ST: Tigermoth - Return Of The Andromedans  (Read 70582 times)

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
Re: ST: Tigermoth - Return Of The Andromedans
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2007, 02:05:20 pm »
Okay Smithy, I'm all caught up again.

A really excellent story. I still think it is more Star Wars-themed than Star Trek, but your characters are great, very real-seeming people to me and I love coming back for more.

I didn't notice anything bad in the sections you were worried about, so I'd say, "don't worry about it." :D

I have to say that, for the last chapter(s);
1) I'm surprised Smithy' team and Harriman are so "all right" about helping out the Roms after just fighting a huge war with them not too long ago.
2) You sure gutted the Roms as a mahjor interstellar power. Our "Resident Rom" proponents (:D) won't be happy with that...

Okay, now put up some more!
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2007, 10:00:43 pm »
The Romulans were always the #3 badguy...even when there were only two to go around...

waiting to see how many mail-bombs I get this week...
--thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2007, 01:58:07 am »
Yes, nerfing the Romulan fleet completely was a decision I made a long while ago. Given their spectacular uselessness over the years - the D'Deridex never seemed much cop, and those Norexan (?) class sips in Nemesis were handed their arses on a silver platter almost immediately while the Ent-E hung on in there - along with them basically trying to wipe out the Federation and the Klingons in the Gatrellian war it was time to punish them. Badly.

So, I destroyed their entire fleet and crippled their empire. Let's see you act all smug and superior now, you pointy eared bar stewards ;D

Will post some more later in the week. Got a mountain of work to catch up on after taking a few days off for Grandpa's memorial and funeral. Plus one of my weasel co-workers decided it would be a corking idea to keep funnelling work off onto me through her manipulation of one of the management drones so she could look like she was getting all her work done. She will experience retribution on Friday though. I may or may not have something to do with the almighty dressing-down she's scheduled for  :angel:
RIMMER: Step up to Red Alert.
KRYTEN: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2007, 05:17:15 am »

Chapter 6 - Death's Shadow (part 4)

USS Tigermoth-A
9th June 2395
1210hrs EST
Captain's Quarters

"Captain's log, stardate 71294.2. Romulan representatives have met with Federation officials. The meeting did not go well, thanks mainly to our President. The Tigermoth is currently heading for Earth, and I am heading for a confrontation with Maxwell once more."

Smithy saved the recording and closed down the terminal, his eyes riveted on the window and the red streaks of transwarp flight. He heard the door open, and saw his wife's reflection. "Dave called?"

"Yeah." Lisa crossed the room to sit next to him. "He asked if you'd mind not doing anything that would get you arrested."

"No promises." Smithy shook his head. "I expected this. It shouldn't have happened, but I expected it. How has the Federation reached the point at which the Council can be completely subordinate to the whims of a madman in president's clothing?"

Lisa gazed at her husband. "It's not just him though. Is it."

"That a statement or a question?" Smithy faced her. "No. It isn't just him. This....all of this....it feels like Robert Metcalf. I don't know how....but despite blowing the sod up I know I haven't seen the last of him." He gingerly stood up, straightening out his protesting knee. "I'm going to meet Maxwell. I am going to ask some questions of him. And I'm probably going to punch him in the face. I'll need you to get me out of whichever holding cell I get thrown in."

Lisa smiled. "Alright. Holler when you need the pick-up."

SOD Command Centre
California, Earth
1524hrs EST
Conference Centre

Maxwell stood at the window, surveying the courtyard. Men, his men, marching in the monthly parades. All the pomp and ceremony missing from the outdated and obsolete Starfleet. The new order was well underway to being completed, with himself as it's leader. The prospect made him almost giddy.

"Enjoying yourself?"

Maxwell spun around. Smithy stood there, leaning against the doorway. Behind him the two guards lay on the floor. Maxwell shook his head. "You shouldn't have done that, James. That would be assault."

"Yep. And I'm not done yet." Smithy pushed off the edge of the door allowing it to shut, and walked slowly over towards Maxwell. All traces of his limp were absent, something that was taking a lot of concentration to achieve. "You refused to offer any protection to the Romulans. Now why would you do that, John? You think the Romulans will let that pass? Once we've fought off the Andromedans, the Romulans will rebuild just as they did after the Romulan War. It might take a century, but they will be back. And they will explode out of their home system hungry for vengeance."

Maxwell fought down the urge to shrink back. "They won't get the chance. After Special Operations has won this war we will make sure the Romulans will never pose a threat again!"

Smithy frowned at that. "You'd really send ships into Romulan space as a first strike? You're even more crazy than I thought." He shook his head. "Not that what you say matters of course, given how utterly useless the new SOD ships have proven to be so far. And while judging by that courtyard you appear to have built an impressive army of brainless little drones, you still couldn't go quite that far."

Maxwell's eyes flashed with anger. "Would you like to put me to the test, James? You might find an answer you weren't expecting."

Smithy grinned mirthlessly. "Oh....I think you'll find I'm expecting all kinds of answers, all of the time. Your 'benefactor' can tell you that much."

The other man's face wore a look that was equal parts confusion and alarm. "What are you talking about? What benefactor?"

"Don't lie to me, John. That just annoys me." Smithy half-turned as if to leave, before spinning straight back and planting his fist square in the middle of Maxwell's face. He stared down at him. "Tell him I'll find him. And this time I'll end things for good, one way or the other." He turned to face the group of SOD security forces who had just burst into the room. "Afternoon lads. Here to show me to my cell?"

Maxwell struggled to his feet behind him. "Shoot the bastard! Shoot him!"

Smithy shook his head. "Not today." He tapped his comm badge three times. "See you soon." He dissolved into the transporter beam.

1601hrs EST
President's Office

Maxwell dismissed the doctor with an angry wave, staring at himself in the mirror. If I had full control, you'd be dead by now James. No-one will ever do that to me again. He crossed back over to his desk, and activated the computer terminal. "Secure-One. Activate communications link."

"Working. Link active."

He tapped in a few commands. "Sir....I have news."

"What....is it John?"

Maxwell leaned in close to the screen, lowering his voice even though he was alone and on a secure channel. "Captain Smith. He knows."

"This was expected. Nothing has changed yet, John. We are still on course, and soon you will have the power to kill him. Does he know where I am yet?"

Maxwell shook his head. "I don't know. I don't think so, he mentioned something about setting out to find you. Could he do that?"

"He is capable of many things. That...is not one of them. Still....I shall take precautions. Thank you for letting me know." The screen went blank.

Maxwell sagged back into the chair and let out a half-sigh, half-sob. Despite the reassuring words, he was worried. I....we....have worked too hard for the plan to be ruined by him. I need a plan.

USS Tigermoth
1630hrs EST
Bridge

Smithy stepped out onto the bridge of his ship, noting the near-emptiness with satisfaction. Finally, people were actually obeying orders and getting some rest. On a nice, boring run like this flitting between Antares to pick up sensor relay drones and out into space to drop them off, all at transwarp speeds, the ship needed very few people actually operating her. Computers had come on in leaps and bounds, as had most starship technology.

He rubbed at the knuckles he'd felled Maxwell with, annoyed at himself for doing that. Temporary satisfaction notwithstanding, he knew just how stupid he'd been to do that. There had been no real need to rattle Maxwell's cage, he could have simply made his plan against the president in secret. Instead, he'd gone charging in as usual and let Maxwell know in no uncertain terms that his days were numbered.

And his benefactor. Smithy had no idea how to find him, but he knew it was going to take some work. He sat, closed his eyes, and cast his mind out. You're out there. I know you are. I'll find you. I'll find you and stop you. I'll....find....you.

Short chunk to end Chapter Six. See you all next week sometime.

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2007, 12:47:45 pm »
Wow, great work!!  The Federation's really gone to hell in a handbasket hasn't it?
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2007, 02:34:42 pm »
Wow, great work!!  The Federation's really gone to hell in a handbasket hasn't it?

Things might just get a whole lot worse before they get better. The Andros haven't brought their A-game to the party yet  ;D

Plus - it's 2395. Those legendary crews from the various TV series are retired now. All the Federation has is Harriman, Sheehan and Smithy with his Tigermoth crew. K-Fo is sat at home enjoying retirement and the quiet life (with that little tantalising thread that might just pull him back....;)), S'Tasik is dearly departed at this point (killed in the Imperial conflict)....and an incompetent, reasonably psychotic, utterly unlikeable smegger is in charge.

Now, how the hell do I dig my universe out of that hole?

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2007, 04:55:48 pm »
Can't wait to see how it unfolds! 

Maybe the  Romulans could save the day? ;)
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2007, 05:09:15 pm »
Can't wait to see how it unfolds! 

Maybe the  Romulans could save the day? ;)

Heh, doubt it. I pretty much mauled that fleet of theirs unfortunately. I don't think they'll be back this year....not in numbers anyway. But, you never know....;D

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2007, 09:29:34 pm »
Your Fed Prez aint based on good ol' Gee-Dub-Ya Bush, is he?

Still liking!

--thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline James Smith